• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Would we keep the banking passport if we went the EEA route? Is it a definite yes it would it be up for negotiation?

numble

Hardly, the UK gets to make trade deals on its own now.

With lower leverage and at the back of the line, needing to start from scratch. Trade deals take years to negotiate.

In the past 10 years, the US has only concluded 5 free trade deals. In the 8 years of the Obama administration, there have only been 3 free trade deals concluded.

Don't tout the Iceland-China FTA as a positive--there was not much there that benefited Iceland.

http://www.markoseafoodintelligence.com/is-the-iceland-china-fta-producing-the-desired-results/

Yet, in the period since the Iceland- China FTA became into effect the export numbers do not show any upward trend towards China. Taking only on product as an example may not necessarily be the best overall measure of the FTA but these results may force us to ask some critical questions. Could there be some problems associated with the implementation of the FTA making it difficult for the Icelandic producers to enjoy the benefits?

Bennicus

Anyone saying this has lost all sense. This is pure hysterics. The UK is one of the world's biggest economies, is one of the top ten manufacturing countries in the world. It has ties of language and law, of history and trade to every single continent on the planet.

Australia and Canada have already signalled that they want to start doing a deal ASAP.

Yes because they know they can take advantage of our current shithouse situation and snag a great deal. Just like when a game dev studio is looking shaky, no publisher will come along to rescue it until its fallen in the toilet and you can pick up the IP at a knockdown price.

Vhalyar

That's a comforting thought isn't it. If you're not "in the club" you're screwed. And people wonder where Euro-skepticism comes from LOL.
And why not? There is a system for non-EU countries, it just happens to be a worse deal than what you currently have. Literally why should the EU be making exceptions now to the county that has been so down on the Union all this time, is leaving, and wants to drag its feet while inflicting damage on everyone in the process? Because Britain is... great again?

TheFatOne

Anyone saying this has lost all sense. This is pure hysterics. The UK is one of the world's biggest economies, is one of the top ten manufacturing countries in the world. It has ties of language and law, of history and trade to every single continent on the planet.

Australia and Canada have already signalled that they want to start doing a deal ASAP.
What kind of leverage will the EU have against a country like the US when they have to make a new trade deal with them?

Why is it hysterics to not find the idea of leaving a position of strength re: trade agreements in favour of voluntarily weakening our economy in the rather vague and horrendously optimistic hope of better deals in future, sensible?

Would we keep the banking passport if we went the EEA route?

Doubt it, I reckon we can kiss good bye to passporting, why on earth would they allow London to carry on while they have Frankfurt and Paris ready to benefit, paspporting in my opinion is finished for UK banks.

78% of our GDP comes from services. If we lose the financial passport we are fucked. Everyone knows this, hence our bargaining position is terrible.

Steel

Banned

The sectors that the UK does well in are service heavy. They need trade deals with the world more than the world needs trade deals with the UK.

Zaph

Phase 1 - No new referendum
Phase 2 - EU will not negotiate until article 50 has been initiated.
Phase 3 - UK demand terms that will never be accepted by the EU
Phase 3 - Economy gets worse
Phase 4 - It's best for the UK to remain in the EU under old terms which are the best among the member states. EU agrees.
Phase 5 - Thank fuck for that. Party meltdown continues.

Make it so.

This is where I'm leaning. They've got to immediately acknowledge the referendum to avoid chaos, and then slowly let the reality sink it.

It's Blair's "Old house, new house", and people will come to terms with the reality they're swapping a lovely 4 bed town-house for a caravan with no roof.

Phase 4 - It's best for the UK to remain in the EU under old terms which are the best among the member states. EU agrees.

Make it so.

From where I'm sitting, there's no way that the EU takes the UK seriously ever again unless there is some big act of goodwill extended towards the EU from the UK side. I highly doubt they'll let them stay with the same exact exemptions in effect. Of course, that won't set well at all with like half of your country.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I could see Gibraltar trying to go independent if Scottland manages to do so. Going Liechtenstein, even with all it's massive disadvantages, would probably still be more favorable to economic survival than having closed and stonewalled borders to spain. If they ever get their own referendum I could see them voting out of the UK.

Don't even need to do a Liechtenstein, it could do a reverse Guernsey.

Micael

I could see Gibraltar trying to go independent if Scottland manages to do so. Going Liechtenstein, even with all its massive disadvantages, would probably still be more favorable to economic survival than having closed and stonewalled borders to spain. If they ever get their own referendum I could see them voting out of the UK.

Spain already started looking to get their paws on gibraltar http://www.euronews.com/2016/06/24/spain-makes-new-push-for-gibraltar-after-britain-exits-eu/

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
This was mostly obvious, but an extra twist of the knife:
4PO8KrZ.jpg

Logic only works if all the youngsters vote though. :(

*And yes, Parliament has a veto over the triggering of Article 50. At least according to these constitutional lawyers.

They're trying to make it all too complicated, and I'm not sure they got it right.

The biggest trouble with their analysis is that the EU is not subject to the UK constitution, so that if an Art 50 notification were given by the Government and were then challenged, the EU are not going to stop the clock ticking while the case is heard, and probably won't listen to the judgment either.

That said, there's something familiar about the logic they are using - I think if I look hard enough I might find a counterexample. (*sound of riffling dusty pages*)

nOoblet16

If I were to use a Markov chain to pump out a few words for this parliament question time it'd be:

1) Negotiations
2) Best possible deal
3) Next government
4) Stronger
5) Single market access

To me the worse outcome will be if nothing changes. I don't want a recession or anything, but right now half the population are convinced that leaving is the best option. I can safely say from a purely economical view point this will hurt the UK in the short term at the very least.

My biggest concern is that half the population are going to find out that they are

a) wrong about their choice.

or

b) nothing has changed.

That's a lot of voters who are going to be angry and upset. That's what concerns me. Maybe not this election, but the next one, people are going to be angry. It's not just us though. Across Europe Right Wing Extremists have had a resurgence. I am very afraid that idiots like Farage with no EU to point the nations problems at, will start pointing it at people in the nation. That's why it is some important right now to restore the stability of the Pound and crack down on anti-immigrant/racist crime. We need to cut the head off this before it gains traction.

Alx

Make it so.

I think there are low chances that in phase 4 EU would let you keep all your old terms though. But that would be a low cost for UK to pay to prevent a complete catastrophe.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Would we keep the banking passport if we went the EEA route? Is it a definite yes it would it be up for negotiation?

No. Why would they let us keep it? France knows if they veto that most of London's financial services move to Paris. What's our leverage?

Jisgsaw

Thing is (and as an outsider looking in, this is kinda hilarious) none of this was needed. The UK just made a crisis for themselves out of fucking nothing at all.

Its absolutely mind boggling.

I think this sums up the ridiculousness of it all pretty good.
Seriously, that must have been the dumbest political decision ever.

I would assume an EEA status for the UK would eliminate the financial "passport" for London, correct?

(Things get tricky when you go into the details).

Nordicus

I dont remember ever seeing him campaigning during the referendum, so whats he mad about.
Chuka Umunna (Labour): "Does the Prime Minister think that precipitating a collapse in the value of Sterling, a fall in the value of our equities, the suspension of trading in our banks, equal to Britain taking back control"

Alx

No. Why would they let us keep it? France knows if they veto that most of London's financial services move to Paris. What's our leverage?

I think it's already officially stated that the passport can't be kept. There were already discussions about it because London wasn't in the Euro zone, and the conclusion was "as long as it's in the EU, it's fine". So if London isn't in the EU any more...

From where I'm sitting, there's no way that the EU takes the UK seriously ever again unless there is some big act of goodwill extended towards the EU from the UK side. I highly doubt they'll let them stay with the same exact exemptions in effect. Of course, that won't set well at all with like half of your country.

My guess is that in this event we'll get some meaningless concession that's entirely for show (to placate the Leavers), in exchange for one of our actual concessions, or the rebate. So a stealth punishment dressed up as a trade. Probably something that will appear to placate the masses.

Xando

There's no way Merkel or Hollande let the UK keep banking passports. Any agreement like this would bei vetoed. No matter the outcome UK will get a worse deal than it had now

numble

What do you mean? Are you asking what trade deals the EU made on our behalf which I might find disagreeable? None of them, that's not the point. The problem is that the EU has very few trade deals. The trade deal with Australia was blocked by tomato farmers in Italy, the trade deal with Canada is being blocked by Romania who have an issue with the issuance of Canadian Visas to Romanians.

Britain could make trade deals with countries it has very strong links to in a timely manner which would benefit both sides.

Unless it is a flimsy deal with little trade benefits or overwhelmingly favors one side, I do not see how Britain could make deals in a timely manner. The US is the largest economy in the world with tons of leverage and it takes forever to conclude just 1 trade deal. In the 8 years of the Obama administration, there have only been 3 free trade deals concluded. And the majority of negotiations for all 3 deals happened under the Bush administration!

Best

That was my thoughts, I just wasn't sure if the passport was something tied to the free single market or a specially crafted device for us. If you see what I mean.

Arksy

No veto applies for the trade deal that gets agreed upon by the EU for the purposes of triggering article 50. The exit deal is agreed upon by qualified majority voting.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's already officially stated that the passport can't be kept. There were already discussions about it because London wasn't in the Euro zone, and the conclusion was "as long as it's in the EU, it's fine". So if London isn't in the EU any more...

Pretty much. I really hope something derails this, like Euro-MPs win the snap general election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom