• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flintty

I think there are low chances that in phase 4 EU would let you keep all your old terms though. But that would be a low cost for UK to pay to prevent a complete catastrophe.

Surely if we don't declare we are leaving there is no negotiating to be done because we haven't left so we keep the original terms of the agreement.

You can bet they'd look at fining us for the meltdown though.

Only this country could fuck something up in a galactic way as it has. When nothing needed to be fixed.

From EU to EEA in "x" hilariously stupid steps.

Take back control guys.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The UK had a good deal as an EU member and you're now saying even that is a negative for you? Ever thought it might be the Leave side's attitude that is unreasonable?

The EU is not an Utopia. It has benefits and drawbacks, and its up to the individual whether they find the balance to overall be a positive or negative one. And that's a determination that likely to be based on self-interest as much as anything; the perspective of someone receiving an EU grant for research is going to be different from that of somebody who's livelihood is only indirectly affected by EU policy, or worse feels adversely affected by those policies.

Micael

Surely if we don't declare we are leaving there is no negotiating to be done because we haven't left so we keep the original terms of the agreement.

You can bet they'd look at fining us for the meltdown though.

Fining would be the least of the problems, something that I feel a lot of people from UK (and not saying it's you mind you), is that this didn't just damage the UK, this damaged all the countries in the EU, as you can imagine if a vote like this creates a division in your country despite being a vote by fellow members of your country, you can only imagine how pleased people from other countries which had no say in the vote currently are, and the people representing those countries will have to take that into account, so I just see no way in which the UK won't suffer significantly from this vote, unfortunately for all involved.

AzureSky

78% of our GDP comes from services. If we lose the financial passport we are fucked. Everyone knows this, hence our bargaining position is terrible.

i honestly doubt this is even a possibility now. Finance sector will be guttet.
There is just no argument for staying, except cost of movement. Too much risk and no benefit.

guit3457

Australia hasn't signalled anything afaik. We're in the middle of an election. The current government may not win.

Domestic politics don't actually revolve around what the British want in the former colonies.

News from the campaign beat: PM lost track of his wife in a toy shop.

Is that true? Seriously? lol

Holy shit, London is a fifth of the UK's GDP. Lose the financial passport and it's several points off the GDP. That's at over a million unemployed once it percolates.

Only this country could fuck something up in a galactic way as it has. When nothing needed to be fixed.

From EU to EEA in "x" hilariously stupid steps.

Take back control guys.
Funny side effect: from a continental perspective, these x hilariously stupid steps are probably going to burn hundreds of thousands of man hours at the EU, hours that could have been used for more useful purposes than controlling the damage done by an apocalyptic tantrum. That fucking bureaucracy.

Maledict

They said countless times in PMQs today they wouldn't.

Not going to happen unless something else happens to change opinion

Four days after the referendum, no-one is going to say it apart from the fringes (some labour, lib dems, SNP). As the economy continues to plummet, as the details emerge,, and as a general election is called expect it to change.

Reversing this is the long game, and we are going to suffer shit because of it. It can't be undone quickly, and we need to suffer for the decision to justify it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Its actually pretty offensive suggesting that everyone outside London is a clueless yokel dependent on the "better educated" city folks for their prosperity.

Seriously, fuck that guy.

Your tag is remarkably apt.

Xando

Will be interesting what Merkel, Hollande, Renzi and Tusk have to say. Supposed to have a press conference in the next 30 minutes

Or we can just ignore the referendum. That is the ONLY sensible option now.

Nothing else makes ANY SENSE AT ALL.
Is anyone really thinking this is a valid option?
It's basically suicid for politicians and we know they care more about themselves than the country

You guys talking about importing shit has made me realise Persona 5 just got a lot more expensive.

Fucking hell Cameron all you had to do was say 'Brexit will increase the cost of being an anime fanboy' and this would've been done and dusted.

No. Why would they let us keep it? France knows if they veto that most of London's financial services move to Paris. What's our leverage?
It's still in our interest that UK doesn't collapse. We are not at war... If we could just force UK to behave like a regular member of the EU without the absurd privileges they have, that would be a positive outcome.

You guys talking about importing shit has made me realise Persona 5 just got a lot more expensive.

Fucking hell Cameron all you had to do was say 'Brexit will increase the cost of being an anime fanboy' and this would've been done and dusted.
Just wait for the EU version. At this rate it will release before your politicians pull their heads out of their asses and switch from empty words to concrete, meaningful actions.

Audioboxer

That's far enough off hopefully the market recovers a bit by then. Importing right now though is like dragging your wallet through a house fire.

JoeInky

Its actually pretty offensive suggesting that everyone outside London is a clueless yokel dependent on the "better educated" city folks for their prosperity.

Seriously, fuck that guy.

As someone who lives in Blackpool, I can agree with this based on all the people I've spoke to who voted leave.

Shiggy

No. Why would they let us keep it? France knows if they veto that most of London's financial services move to Paris. What's our leverage?

You keep forgetting that the UK has some of the best negotiators. And, as Arksys said, Britain can now make better deals.

Or we can just ignore the referendum. That is the ONLY sensible option now.

Nothing else makes ANY SENSE AT ALL.

That's not going to work because the political machine is completely paralysed. I agree that Article 50 should be forgotten. But can only be an act of Parliament that says we dun goofed, and quickly too.

Good luck with that, we're going nowhere with your foolish no voters.

I hate to say it, but, I don't think you have any choice. However - once we've left the EU feel free to claim independence and apply to rejoin. When you do I'll happily come join you north of the border (if not before).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom