• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

I think I need to stop following this. The only outcome I can see is the UK backing down and I'm tearing myself apart whilst we go through the motions.

DiGiKerot

Just wait for the EU version. At this rate it will release before your politicians pull their heads out of their asses and switch from empty words to concrete, meaningful actions.

But the UK is pulling out of the EU. All copies of Persona 5 will be seized and destroyed upon arrival in Dover!

jelly

From where I'm sitting, there's no way that the EU takes the UK seriously ever again unless there is some big act of goodwill extended towards the EU from the UK side. I highly doubt they'll let them stay with the same exact exemptions in effect. Of course, that won't set well at all with like half of your country.

Doesn't matter. We haven't left yet. We just lose our leave bluff but still have the same deal. We would be insane to do anything else.

Just wait for the EU version. At this rate it will release before your politicians pull their heads out of their asses and switch from empty words to concrete, meaningful actions.

Believe in the UK government or Atlus' ability to release games in Europe.

Oh god.

You're right though it'll be fine. Can see the pound ever really recovering vs other currencies though... This whole thing makes Britain less valuable.

Doesn't matter. We haven't left yet. We just lose our leave bluff but still have the same deal. We would be insane to do anything else.

There won't be the same deal. Nobody's going to trust the UK anymore. It might take time but the rest of the 27 are going start play for diminishing UK influence until they feel safe.

DiGiKerot

You guys talking about importing shit has made me realise Persona 5 just got a lot more expensive.

Fucking hell Cameron all you had to do was say 'Brexit will increase the cost of being an anime fanboy' and this would've been done and dusted.

I shudder to think how much all the completely necessary iM@S Platinum Stars DLC is going to end up setting me back.

Shudder, I tell you!

Makareu

From where I'm sitting, there's no way that the EU takes the UK seriously ever again unless there is some big act of goodwill extended towards the EU from the UK side. I highly doubt they'll let them stay with the same exact exemptions in effect. Of course, that won't set well at all with like half of your country.

Hum, I could actually see a deal from the EU to the UK to be like : " OK we'll pretend the referendum never happened, in exchange, and to prove your attachment to the EU, you'll adopt the Euro"

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
*And yes, Parliament has a veto over the triggering of Article 50. At least according to these constitutional lawyers.

That said, there's something familiar about the logic they are using - I think if I look hard enough I might find a counterexample. (*sound of riffling dusty pages*)

Aha!

These constitutional lawyers argue (roughly) that an action taken under the Royal Perogative, that has inevitable consequences on statute law, requires a parliamentary bill to authorise it (citing the Case of Proclamations and the Fire Brigades Union case).

It's nicely written and neatly argued and all, and by real constitutional lawyers to boot.

But it is still wrong. Counterexample: the declaration of war on Germany on 3rd September 1939.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've got to break my addiction to thread. It's like doom-heroin.

I'm strapped in till the end...

tumblr_mlbkypHyvq1rlgjjoo1_250.gif

StayDead

This whole thing has upset me so much.

Fuck everyone who voted leave, fuck David Cameron for even giving us the chance to leave at all. The fact we're sat with a good deal already and the only option if we don't ignore the referendum is a worse deal for everyone.

I'm tearing myself apart over this and I can't stop following it, because the actions of idiots is going to cost me likely my livelihood and any chance I have of a future.

Acorn

You were foolish enough to stick with us. You'll come, and you'll bloody well like it!

We're all in this together.
I suspect you're joking a little but the fucking infuriating thing is one of the big planks of the no vote was "you'll only stay in the EU with us".

Another fucking lie to add to the pile from the no campaign.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So what are the realistic chances that Ireland is unified, Scotland is independent (or form a Gaelic Union with Northern Ireland), and London becomes an independent city-state if the UK actually leaves the EU?

Ireland will riot before it is unified. The place is too polarised to simply unite like that. There would be potentially a return to the violence of the past before that happened.

Lego Boss

I think I need to stop following this. The only outcome I can see is the UK backing down and I'm tearing myself apart whilst we go through the motions.

This thread is making me ill.

I haven't slept in days, but l can't stop.

It's like it's happening to another country and l'm LAWLZing at it, but at the same time l know mine and my daughters' livelihoods are fucked because some twats thought they would play a Russian Roulette power-play with the future of our country.

It's just incredulous, but very British: only we could fuck it up so badly.

PJV3

While giving his speech to the Commons Cameron promised us all free cake, while admitting in a round about way we are fucked and getting EEA status.

Cameron only goes as far as saying the next government has to follow the instruction and look at the options to leave.

I'm not convinced yet.

BahamutPT

Article 50 will not happen

Interest will blow away

Nobody will care

EU shall remain wholesome.

They'll have to officially address whether they're going through with it or decide to ignore the referendum.
The economic fallout surrounding the state of uncertainty won't allow them to just silently sweep it under a rug.

Mr. Sam

I suspect you're joking a little but the fucking infuriating thing is one of the big planks of the no vote was "you'll only stay in the EU with us".

Another fucking lie to add to the pile from the no campaign.

I don't think that was a lie in so much as they genuinely didn't think we would be leaving the EU. Thursday night, nobody thought we would be leaving the EU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No, he can fuck right off. I'm never accepting the result of this referendum and neither should anyone else.

The Remain backers should protest, we shouldn't sit back and let our country destroy itself.

we had poll tax riots, and that was just on a stupid tax. This is far more serious. There should at least be protest marches and shit.

Acorn

I don't think that was a lie in so much as they genuinely didn't think we would be leaving the EU. Thursday night, nobody thought we would be leaving the EU.
Doesn't really help with the feeling of betrayal alot of no voters feel yet again. They knew the chance of leaving was there, they shouldn't of made that promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom