• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I laugh* at all the "now we can make our own trade deals" delusions. Besides being short on manpower, they have fuck all experience to get it all done.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/503908/54538_EU_Series_No2_Accessible.pdf

Forty.

Years.

*so that I don't have to cry at this mess

Well, the very first point of the executive summary has already been blundered. The same guy who said "the British people would rightly expect that to start straight away," is now saying he wants no part of it and has no intention of starting anything straight away.

In fact, in seems like no one in a position of political power wants any part of this result and rightly so. It's a disaster.

avaya

What? No.

It's going that way. It's what Blair talked about. "We can now test this with reality".

Sterling is getting beaten up like it owes money. A sub-parity GBPEUR cross is being priced at material probabilities.

Meanwhile business will continue to hold off investment and announce plans about moves.

The cratering of consumer confidence and Q3/Q4 GDP falling negative is the aim.

This is the only politically acceptable solution to back away from all of this and salvage EEA+Passport. Which will then be done by the House and not by the people.

Crises focus minds to the reality that we are a small country. It's the only play here.

Hazzuh

From the Momentum rally to save Corbyn:

Cl-TNKAWAAAXQ-q.jpg:large

oti

Banned
I'm now convinced Merkel is secretly trying to destroy the EU from within by constantly advocating the complete opposite of what everyone else in Europe wants.

When political leaders call for easing of austerity she pushes for continued spending cuts.

When leaders call for Eurobonds she flat out rejects such proposals.

When economists call for US style quantative easing she rejects this.

And when politicians insist on a quick Brexit process she again endorses a contrary view and says Britain can take its time.

She's a fucking disaster and doing more harm to European integration and unity than anyone else.

Don't overestimate Merkel's "kindness" here. Autumn will be her breaking point no doubt about that.

People keep saying "we can't just hang out in limbo having voted to leave but not activated Article 50."

The terrifying thing is, you totally could.

Imagine a world where Britain just never either rejects the referendum or activates article 50 because nobody has the political will to do either and just stays in the EU, technically with the full authority and power of a member state but with no real ability to commit to anything or take any posts because they are kind of sort of on their way out.

It could happen!
Schrödinger's Britain.

Until a UKIP tit crawls its way into power and fires the loaded gun everyone had tried their best to forget.

It's going that way. It's what Blair talked about. "We can now test this with reality".

Sterling is getting beaten up like it owes money. A sub-parity GBPEUR cross is being priced at material probabilities.

Meanwhile business will continue to hold off investment and announce plans about moves.

The cratering of consumer confidence and Q3/Q4 GDP falling negative is the aim.

This is the only politically acceptable solution to back away from all of this and salvage EEA+Passport. Which will then be done by the House and not by the people.

Crises focus minds to the reality that we are a small country. It's the only play here.

Yep give us a taste of what's coming up, the stop it going off the edge, sounds sensible to me. The general population are living in cuckoo land, no sense of reality and willingly throwing away the economy at a whim.

Yes, of course they do. Do people not understand how the world and finance works. EU isn't doing this because they hate the British, they're trying to get this done quickly because the UNCERTAINTY of what's going on is destroying their markets. They're trying to stern the tide for their countries in the union rather than suit on their ass and ignore it's their like the Brits have been doing. It was a ghost town on Friday, there was absolutely no leadership and it's scaring people and harming other countries. You can't play the victim when you're the one who pushed for it.
Exactly. This wait and see by the UK will not go well, and EU will be forced to expedite this and stop the bleeding,

Feorax

Yep give us a taste of what's coming up, the stop it going off the edge, sounds sensible to me. The general population are living in cuckoo land, no sense of reality and willingly throwing away the economy at a whim.

Leave managed to convince the UK this wouldn't happen, do you think they won't manage to convince people that this is all someone else's fault and nothing to do with Brexit?

Beefy

They are the only government the English vote for majorly and I see zero signs of a lab swing anytime soon. English get what English want as we can see.

The minority didn't want them. But you are right all dave had to do is lie a little, offer a EU ref and call all sick/disabled scroungers. I really hope people have changed their view over what has happened in the EU ref, but can't see it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm now convinced Merkel is secretly trying to destroy the EU from within by constantly advocating the complete opposite of what everyone else in Europe wants.

When political leaders call for easing of austerity she pushes for continued spending cuts.
You must've only read British papers or something, there were European leaders far harsher than her and Germany in general. You make it sound like she was alone.

Leave managed to convince the UK this wouldn't happen, do you think they won't manage to convince people that this is all someone else's fault and nothing to do with Brexit?

Not if Boris and Co are in with this, they will not risk destroying the economy or its bye bye careers, no plan suggests to me there was never one and won't be one.

Binabik15

None of this is happy reading.

No, it's fucking brutal and I really don't understand why your Remain campaign didn't take a few juice bits from this as soundbites to raise hell before the referendum.

I hope that the UK stay with the loss of the privileges gained in February (which the EU seems to consider void anyway, since they were given to STOP you from voting Leave) and a few other concessions, but it looks grim.

The only upside is that I can import more Warhammer than I ever wanted if the pound drops below 1:1 with €. Before trade tariffs become a reality, of course. And postae goes up even more.

After reading a bit on the recent debates:

How can a goddamn prime minister, a person voted by his people to represent his country internationally and lead his country to prosperity, just openly (blatantly) wave away everything to his successor in the face of one of the biggest threats to his country? What the hell is this? I don't understand this at all (not overly familiar with British politics).

And if he really plans to do just that, sitting things out, will the UK really have to wait and until the next votings before anything will happen? Can't the current cabinet fall (as they aren't doing a thing seemingly) and allow the people to vote for a new leader who want to lead ASAP?

The people don't vote for a leader of a party only their own MP locally. The leadership of the Tory party is largely influenced by group of Tory MPs called the 1922 committee which is very anti EU.

Jisgsaw

All of it reads as if the person writing was thinking 'this would be the worst decision ever made'

I'll repeat myself: it probably is.

Does London have a significant start-up scene? Just wondering if Berlin might get some of that.

Yes, I read an article that said it could help the Berlin start-up scene, with the drawback that it will harder for start ups and small companies to get into the UK market.

2MF

Where did you ever see/hear that? (Genuinely asking.)

Cameron himself said it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36560525

David Cameron said:
"I want to spell out this point carefully, because it is important. If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring that about, namely to trigger Article 50 of the treaties and begin the process of exit, and the British people would rightly expect that to start straight away."

LewieP

Not if Boris and Co are in with this, they will not risk destroying the economy or its bye bye careers, no plan suggests to me there was never one and won't be one.

The catch 22 is that they will similarly destroy their careers if they do not put into practice the referendum result that they campaigned for.

This would be my preferred outcome, but short of some extremely savvy political maneuvering, Johnson will likely never get a full term as PM.

It's sickening that he's obviously even still just trying to find the best option for his career rather than the best option for the country.

S¡mon

Banned
Prediction: the UK will be fine. May see a slowdown in economic growth temporarily, but you guys are still a big market and many countries - including European ones - are going to trade with you. After all, trade equals wealth and economic growth - and that's what both the UK and other countries want.

Another prediction: pretty bad news for Europeans that don't want an 'United States of Europe'.* The U.K. was the only big nation that was slowing down that movement and you were also the ones that were constantly pulling the handbrake.
Many Northern and Western European nations, in the nations where the people do not want an 'United States of Europe', have just lost an important ally.

* In the short-term it's probably better for those that don't want an US of Europe, as there is EU criticism all around Europe. In the long-term, I predict, it's still going to happen and there will be no UK for us to pull the handbrake.

The catch 22 is that they will similarly destroy their careers if they do not put into practice the referendum result that they campaigned for.

This would be my preferred outcome, but short of some extremely savvy political maneuvering, Johnson will likely never get a full term as PM.

It's sickening that he's obviously even still just trying to find the best option for his career rather than the best option for the country.

They will get away with it if the Tory press swings behind them, revisionist headlines will work wonders, it's a joke and utterly pathetic but perfectly believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom