• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bashtee

The London Government couldn't prevent jack shit right now

True, it seems like there is none right now and the big grand scheme is to wait until the economy is getting rekt and they find a replacement for Cameron. What's funny though, I heard this morning that the EU already appointed a negotiator. Seems like EU can't wait to get rid of the UK.

Yes on both counts. Perhaps Labour will promise a second referendum if they need the SNP to prop up a minority government, but I can't see any other circumstances where Whitehall will willingly let Scotland go. I don't think the notion that the EU will recognise Scotland's unilateral secession from the union stands up to much scrutiny (unless Brexit negotiations with the EU turn really sour).

There will be one if Scotland wishes it according to the Scottish Secretary, they know they cannot stop it in the end, but it's too early just now after the last two, we need a few years to recover I'd say 2020 would be the starting point building to next indy referendum.

Zaph

Right now, if the bloody Teletubbies ran on the platform of staying in the EU, I'd vote for them.

Need to give the fucking NRA a run for their money on what single-issue voting is.

I laugh* at all the "now we can make our own trade deals" delusions. Besides being short on manpower, they have fuck all experience to get it all done.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/503908/54538_EU_Series_No2_Accessible.pdf

Forty.

Years.

*so that I don't have to cry at this mess

On top of that, how the fuck are we going to attract the talent to make these deals? It's a fool's errand and no one of worth will want to be part of such a shambles.

Shiggy

My impression from this press conference so far: Nobody cares about the political games inside the UK, France is pointing out that the UK was always different, Merkel wants to give the UK enough time while the others seem to want to move on ASAP and Italy is pointing out this could turn out to be a great opportunity to change the EU for the better (in case you forget Italy was also against Germany's hard handling of the Grexit crisis).

There are already voices calling for closer fiscal and military integration.

Wow, no informal talks even. Good luck making those deals, UK. Now you'd think they would need to trigger Article 50 ASAP? Otherwise they're in a pretty bad form of limbo?

ColdRose

Errrr because our country is a xenophobic shitheap?

Yes, but that's not a reason why anyone should leave. It's a reason why the rest of us should fucking fight the xenophobia and racism and the wankers who inflict it.

I'm not lying down for all this shit. No fucking 'unity, all in it together, let's get on with it' bullshit when the far right are claiming victory and the country is breaking. I am livid, and getting angrier every time I hear something new. I have no idea what to do, but there has to something :(

Maledict

Wow, no informal talks even. Good luck making those deals, UK. Now you'd think they would need to trigger Article 50 ASAP? Otherwise they're in a pretty bad form of limbo?

Limbo is the point. Wait, let the economy take a short term hit, then back away from triggering article 50.

At least, that seems to be what is being planned right now given everyone's actions. If they really felt this could work article 50 would be triggered already, if only to calm the markets.

Pandy

There will be one if Scotland wishes it according to the Scottish Secretary, they know they cannot stop it in the end, but it's too early just now after the last two, we need a few years to recover I'd say 2020 would be the starting point building to next indy referendum.

You think they're going to wait until 2020 for Article 50? Because the best time for Scotland to secure its EU membership is before or during the exit negotiations. Not afterwards.

True, it seems like there is none right now and the big grand scheme is to wait until the economy is getting rekt and they find a replacement for Cameron. What's funny though, I heard this morning that the EU already appointed a negotiator. Seems like EU can't wait to get rid of the UK.
Yes, of course they do. Do people not understand how the world and finance works. EU isn't doing this because they hate the British, they're trying to get this done quickly because the UNCERTAINTY of what's going on is destroying their markets. They're trying to stern the tide for their countries in the union rather than suit on their ass and ignore it's their like the Brits have been doing. It was a ghost town on Friday, there was absolutely no leadership and it's scaring people and harming other countries. You can't play the victim when you're the one who pushed for it.

Immagrants?

Irony of ironies but would it surprise anyone?

After the initial shitstorm...which will probably take a few weeks to a month to clear...

I think we might get more info about how unworkable it is or how fucked we'd be. That is, of course, unless they are willingly selling future generations down the river.

Pandy

I have my doubts it will be triggered at all now.

Limbo is the point. Wait, let the economy take a short term hit, then back away from triggering article 50.

At least, that seems to be what is being planned right now given everyone's actions. If they really felt this could work article 50 would be triggered already, if only to calm the markets.

Will be happy to be proved wrong, but it really feels more like a playground game of 'Hot Potato' than an actual plan. Cameron simply wants to pass the buck, even though he's the one that got us into this mess.

liquidtmd

Banned

If this ISNT their end game I would be...I would say amazed, but frankly after the last few days thats kind of hard.

I would never vote again and be openly hostile to every single politician I see for the rest of my life if this doesn't turn out to be the plan

Beefy

You understand the financial crisis has led us to 8 years of austerity with no end in sight, massive job losses, huge misery and everything else? And this is far, far worse for the Uk if we go ahead and leave?

The Tories lead us to austerity. It didn't have to be done that way.

I just can't see it myself. I think we're at peak demand for another referendum right now, and it'll only taper off over time. Especially as the catastrophic economic results of leaving the EU start to bite, I'm not sure it'll be easy to sell yet more short-to-medium term economic woes on top of that as being a price worth paying for independence.

You understand the financial crisis has led us to 8 years of austerity with no end in sight, massive job losses, huge misery and everything else? And this is far, far worse for the Uk if we go ahead and leave?
well panicking and doing more damage isn't the solution obviously. the damage has to be controlled now and Merkel's decision is the right one... for now at least.

Phoenix

Yes, of course they do. Do people not understand how the world and finance works. EU isn't doing this because they hate the British, they're trying to get this done quickly because the UNCERTAINTY of what's going on is destroying their markets. They're trying to stern the tide for their countries in the union rather than suit on their ass and ignore it's their like the Brits have been doing. It was a ghost town on Friday, there was absolutely no leadership and it's scaring people and harming other countries. You can't play the victim when you're the one who pushed for it.

Yep. What the UK is doing is hurting everyone globally because now they've gotten cold feet in front of the divorce judge. Meanwhile the person on the other side is saying "look you've already fucked up my credit, you've killed our relationship and now you're hurting my friends... just go. You said you wanted this shit, sign the divorce documents and get the fuck out!"

Bashtee

Only seems like it because other than their british counterparts they were actually somewhat prepared for brexit

Hahaha, seems like it. I mean, I shouldn't laugh as an outsider at this whole clusterfuck, but this is all so crazy.

I laugh* at all the "now we can make our own trade deals" delusions. Besides being short on manpower, they have fuck all experience to get it all done.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/503908/54538_EU_Series_No2_Accessible.pdf

Forty.

Years.

*so that I don't have to cry at this mess

2.9 It is therefore probable that it would take an extended period to negotiate first
our exit from the EU, secondly our future arrangements with the EU, and thirdly our
trade deals with countries outside of the EU, on any terms that would be acceptable to
the UK. In short, a vote to leave the EU would be the start, not the end, of a process. It
could lead to up to a decade or more of uncertainty.

Seems like Frankfurt, Paris and Dublin are getting more crowded in the next couple of years.

AzureSky

well, it's in the interest of EU to do it as quickly as possible.
It's also in the interest of UK not to wait too long, but there is noone to send right now ...

I just can't see it myself. I think we're at peak demand for another referendum right now, and it'll only taper off over time. Especially as the catastrophic economic results of leaving the EU start to bite, I'm not sure it'll be easy to sell yet more short-to-medium term economic woes on top of that as being a price worth paying for independence.

Possibly but changing demographics over that time will reduce the no vote a lot, depends on what happens if we are ignored over Brexit then yeah it will happen sooner.

Oriel

My impression from this press conference so far: Nobody cares about the political games inside the UK, France is pointing out that the UK was always different, Merkel wants to give the UK enough time while the others seem to want to move on ASAP and Italy is pointing out this could turn out to be a great opportunity to change the EU for the better (in case you forget Italy was also against Germany's hard handling of the Grexit crisis).

I'm now convinced Merkel is secretly trying to destroy the EU from within by constantly advocating the complete opposite of what everyone else in Europe wants.

When political leaders call for easing of austerity she pushes for continued spending cuts.

When leaders call for Eurobonds she flat out rejects such proposals.

When economists call for US style quantative easing she rejects this.

And when politicians insist on a quick Brexit process she again endorses a contrary view and says Britain can take its time.

She's a fucking disaster and doing more harm to European integration and unity than anyone else.

Harmen

After reading a bit on the recent debates:

How can a goddamn prime minister, a person voted by his people to represent his country internationally and lead his country to prosperity, just openly (blatantly) wave away everything to his successor in the face of one of the biggest threats to his country? What the hell is this? I don't understand this at all (not overly familiar with British politics).

And if he really plans to do just that, sitting things out, will the UK really have to wait and until the next votings before anything will happen? Can't the current cabinet fall (as they aren't doing a thing seemingly) and allow the people to vote for a new leader who want to lead ASAP?

pigeon

Banned
People keep saying "we can't just hang out in limbo having voted to leave but not activated Article 50."

The terrifying thing is, you totally could.

Imagine a world where Britain just never either rejects the referendum or activates article 50 because nobody has the political will to do either and just stays in the EU, technically with the full authority and power of a member state but with no real ability to commit to anything or take any posts because they are kind of sort of on their way out.

It could happen!

After reading a bit on the recent debates:

How can a goddamn prime minister, a person voted by his people to represent his country internationally and lead his country to prosperity, just openly (blatantly) wave away everything to his successor in the face of one of the biggest threats to his country? What the hell is this? I don't understand this at all (not overly familiar with British politics).

And if he really plans to do just that, sitting things out, will the UK really have to wait and until the next votings before anything will happen? Can't the current cabinet fall (as they aren't doing a thing seemingly) and allow the people to vote for a new leader who want to lead asap?

Cameron opposed leaving the EU. Now that the vote was for leaving, he doesn't want to be involved with the process of leaving (as he correctly observes it to be a terrible idea that will be impossible to execute well).

If there were people on the Leave side ready to jump up and take charge he probably would have resigned immediately. The fact that he's waiting four months to do so should be clear evidence that in fact nobody actually wants to take responsibility for leaving the EU.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
UK doesn't want to exit, but has to 'respect democracy'. So it has to trigger article 50.
UK doesn't want to trigger article 50, so it wants to stall, but can't stall because the economy is crumbling. Everyday is a loss for London.
UK wants informal talks, but can't have informal talks until it triggers article 50.

Yep. That's a clusterfuck alright.

PJV3

Scottish Labour are looking at a federal system for the UK. The various bits could be EU member states.

I don't know how possible that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom