• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennicus

"Rightly expect it". So he's saying that the right thing would be to do it straight away. Which he decided not to do.

And if you take that as a promise to take specific action, I can't do anything for you other than ask you to be more skeptical in the future.

oti

Banned
That won't have any effects. A rating is nothing tangible, so how can it affect economy negatively? In fact, it might even have positive effects as local lenders might be more willing to lend locally and thus do good for their own country, which would help in disintegrating from the EU.

What am I reading.

Well you know, now that our pound is devalued it means companies will start exporting our products. That means we'll be able to revive many of our dead industries. Now that our rating is lower, companies will be more like to invest in our country as our rates are lower.

#makegreatbritaingreatbritainagain

Yep, we just need skilled workers in those dead industries, who wait - #closetheimmergrationdoor - fail!

Maledict

can someone explain boris johnson's hair? it doesn't seem like he's trying to hide something like trump. it just looks like shit.

Its deliberate. He messes it up on purpose when he gives a speech or goes into public (no joke, I have actually seen this happen). It's just part of his trademark which allows him to play the fool whilst behaving like an ammoral piece of shit willing to sacrifice the entire country on the alter of his ambition.

Lets not forget - fired twice from jobs for lying, and he tried to have a journalist attacked who was reporting on a friend of his.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
We need a brave politician and leader now. I don't think we have one in either direction. We're just stuck in this weird Limbo. The only person I can see being this destructive is Farage. Feel so fucked over.

They've already said that the checkpoints won't be back. Which essentially means EU citizens can walk from an EU country beyond our borders. The whole thing is stupid.

What's crazy is 44% of them voted LEAVE....

grumpy

Well you know, now that our pound is devalued it means companies will start exporting our products. That means we'll be able to revive many of our dead industries. Now that our rating is lower, companies will be more like to invest in our country as our rates are lower.

#makegreatbritaingreatbritainagain

France is about to get flooded with affordable, dense and glutinous chocolate cakes.

Well you know, now that our pound is devalued it means companies will start exporting our products. That means we'll be able to revive many of our dead industries.

Exactly! I heard Farage is personally going to reopen all the mines himself while Boris is off singlehandedly saving the steel industry with his amazing zipwire performanes. Its going to be a new era of British, tea fueled, greatness!

Alucrid

Banned
Its deliberate. He messes it up on purpose when he gives a speech or goes into public (no joke, I have actually seen this happen). It's just part of his trademark which allows him to play the fool whilst behaving like an ammoral piece of shit willing to sacrifice the entire country on the alter of his ambition.

Lets not forget - fired twice from jobs for lying, and he tried to have a journalist attacked who was reporting on a friend of his.

oh. wow. i just thought he was a piece of shit. not a devious piece of shit. it works i guess.

pigeon

Banned
isn't the USA a 'AA'? it's still the most powerful nation on earth

Ironically, treasury bond yields dropped when we got downgraded because it created economic uncertainty and in uncertain times people turn to US treasury bonds. So didn't really matter to us.

If it makes you feel better, UK downgrade will probably also cause US treasury bond yields to drop, if they even can drop any more after this weekend. That won't help the UK's borrowing costs very much though.

That won't have any effects. A rating is nothing tangible, so how can it affect economy negatively? In fact, it might even have positive effects as local lenders might be more willing to lend locally and thus do good for their own country, which would help in disintegrating from the EU.

Are you taking the piss?

Binabik15

derpceqmw.png

The empire on which the sun never sets /crying Bulldog

Coming up next: Franz Ferdinand travels to Sarajevo - just WHAT will Sophie wear??

Now that we can leave the EU, we can get rid of those health and safety laws which caused our coal mines to close.

My god, a perfectly formed sentence that sends my brain into a

Serious?
Sarcasm?
Serious?
Sarcasm?

loop. I can feel my brain overheating each time I read it. I really don't know were to go with it.

Yes I do...

...Pro Child Labour - send 'em down the mine guv'nor

Atrophis

Exactly! I heard Farage is personally going to reopen all the mines himself while Boris is off singlehandedly saving the steel industry with his amazing zipwire performanes. Its going to be a new era of British, tea fueled, greatness!

Farage is staunchly anti-coal. All those sooty faces flooding the streets at the end of a shift gets his blood boiling.

S¡mon

Banned
Dutch government is talking about Brexit as we speak. For what it's worth: the government wants to continue to trade with the UK.
Also the realisation that there are other EU countries which are taking a 'hostile' approach and want the UK to leave the EU on bad terms. The Netherlands is, however, going to urge for a 'nice' break-up with the UK. They want the best possible outcome for both the Dutch and British population.

LewieP

We're fucked :(

The plus side of leaving the EU - I'll no longer have the whole EU consumer rights legislation incorrectly quoted at me by people who don't realise the UK is exempt from it because of it's own superior legislation.

I was looking into this stuff a while ago (my PS4 died). I think there are certain specific areas where the EU Product Directive does offer protections not offered by the UK's robust consumer protection laws. Or at least uses more specific language.

The UK sale of goods act says stuff has to be fit for it's intended use, whereas the EU Product Directive specifies that if it can be proven to have been faulty at point of sale, then the retailer must repair/replace/refund for the lifetime of the product.

The sale of goods act language is a little vague in terms of time, because "Fit for use" doesn't really specify a length of time, whereas the EU Product Directive specifies that it's for the lifetime of the product.

This is from memory so I might not have the details totally right. They are covering slightly different scenarios anyway, but both seem to be useful consumer protections to me.

Auctopus

Just watched Angela Eagle's words on Corbyn on BBC.

God, what a wet blanket. She just mumbles and didn't even have a genuine reason for her actions.

Now that we can leave the EU, we can get rid of those health and safety laws which caused our coal mines to close.

And repeal all that ridiculous worker rights nonsense, non of that 'I can't work, I'm pregnant' bullshit. Back in my mams day, she was fed on a steady diet of Tarmac and spent 28 hours a day down the pits and I turned out great!

We'll be back to greatness in no time

Tyaren

can someone explain boris johnson's hair? it doesn't seem like he's trying to hide something like trump. it just looks like shit.

But it looks so fluffy! You just want to ruffle it like you do with the hair of naughty children you can't really be mad at. :) No wonder so many elderly voted for his cause...

Purkake4

Banned
Preliminary talks wouldn't be a "what if" scenario though - we are leaving, full stop. No need for what-if's. It should be a behind the scenes back-door forum to begin discussions and agree the basic content and structures of the formal talks. It'll also give us something more concrete to go back to the people with under a 'are you sure' vote if we want to.

The fact Germany are saying no to informal talks suggest that want us out and it's going to be painful. Declare article 50, there's no going back. Once article 50 is declared we can waste some of that precious 24 months sorting out the basics we could have agreed before going in.
I'm getting mixed messages here.

Germany (and Europe) want clarity, putting your application in would be that. Beating around the bush, talking about needing a new PM and a parliamentary approval after that is not helping with that.

This is actually possible, all he needs is to stay in this country for 4 years to be legally eligible for permanent residency, at which point he can stand in elections.

Basically if Obama moves to UK later this year, then by the time next general election comes in he can actually stand in the elections, become an MP and then get chosen by other MP as their leader to become the Prime Minister.

Have to be careful though...Boris Johnson has US citizenship (he was born in New York). In the darkest timeline, he could come over to the US as a follow up to Trump.

StayDead

Genuinly serious here, are there any big remain rally's planned in London? I've never marched for something before, but this is something I would happily protest.

FStop7

Banned
After reading a bit on the recent debates:

How can a goddamn prime minister, a person voted by his people to represent his country internationally and lead his country to prosperity, just openly (blatantly) wave away everything to his successor in the face of one of the biggest threats to his country? What the hell is this? I don't understand this at all (not overly familiar with British politics).

And if he really plans to do just that, sitting things out, will the UK really have to wait and until the next votings before anything will happen? Can't the current cabinet fall (as they aren't doing a thing seemingly) and allow the people to vote for a new leader who want to lead ASAP?

Because he doesn't care. His sailboat's paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom