• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

The worst thing is waiting for them to announce the vote doesn't matter, it was a mistake, we are staying with the same old EU deal. I don't know how they plan on doing it but it's frankly unbearable at the moment with the thought of some bell end could even have a chance of pressing the article 50 button. It's a nightmare dragging this out, how far are they going to go ? tomorrow, a week, a month before doing the right thing and calling the whole thing off. The fact that they even say the words, respect the vote etc. is frightening even though it's hopefully just lip service.

Metal B

S¡mon;208495893 said:
Dutch government is talking about Brexit as we speak. For what it's worth: the government wants to continue to trade with the UK.
Also the realisation that there are other EU countries which are taking a 'hostile' approach and want the UK to leave the EU on bad terms. The Netherlands is, however, going to urge for a 'nice' break-up with the UK. They want the best possible outcome for both the Dutch and British population.
How can any country look at this outcome and say " We want this too!"?
They only want a 'nice' break-up, because they can see them self leaving, since the right-populist have a strong hold in the country. They just want to make sure, they would get treated similar nice ... which will not happen.

Well, it would be nice to officially hear from the UK if leaving is actually happening or not. Until then, what is the use in talking? It's on the UK to make a move now. Nobody is being bullied here, Europe is waiting for clarity about what the UK is actually going to do and what their process is for getting out of the EU.

Erm, there was a vote Thursday, the PM said it's binding when he talked to parliament today. That's as official as it's gonna get - we are out.

On a separate note we have a leadership crises, forgive us while we sort that out before making any more official statements to the European Council.

In the meantime, diplomatic courtesy suggest some informal talks would probably be prudent to help expedite matters after we've sorted out our internal political problems.

Seems to me the EU, as an organisation, and Germany want to force us into declaring article 50 at a time when we are politically on our knees. Are you really that scared someone sensible will be chosen as PM and we find a way of placating the wider British public without having to leave?

(note, I'm pro-remain and don't want to leave at all).

I'll be there. First time I've 'formally' protested about anything in my life. If not for this, then what?

I've only formally protested once before, when I was 16, against the decision to join the US in invading Iraq. I won't protest against this though. I voted Remain, and I'm bitterly disappointed by the result, but I think we have to honour it if we're going to start fixing public perception of democracy and government. I can't even begin to describe how angry and conflicted I am over that moral decision though...

AHA-Lambda

I don't really understand why the hard left hate the EU =/

Considering how much social good comes from it I'm actually quite puzzled why people like Corbyn would want to leave.

I can understand the hard right but not the hard left

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The second referendum talk is ridiculous. You don't get to redo a democratic vote because it didn't go the way you liked.

However, as the vote was non-binding, Scotland may try to block it with this second independence referendum talk. Scotland and Gibraltar being so upset are both concerns that may sway nationalists towards not wanting Article 50 invoked.

Steel

Banned
The brass neck on these cunts is quite spectacular, if only we could will Malcolm Tucker into being and unleash him on them.

Uh... Did I just read that they expect Europe to freely let British Citizens in and out but not the other way around?

How much crack is going around at Westminister right now?

Juicy Bob

Genuine question guys.

We live in a block of flats. There's a nice Polish couple who I've spoken to a few times over the last couple of years and always say hi to me when I see them.

Our area was 61-39 Leave. Would it be stupid to maybe, I don't know, buy them a little gift or write them a card or something just to say that we're thinking of them?

The brass neck on these cunts is quite spectacular, if only we could will Malcolm Tucker into being and unleash him on them.
How come Leave now wants free movement? Wasn't that like the biggest issue they had with the EU? People coming to Britain from other countries to work there.

Or do they mean free movement as in just visa free for holidays and such? Which of course is going to happen.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Does this affect the Eurotunnel function ?
Live footage

CltS-_7XIAAban5.jpg:large

avaya

Considering how much social good comes from it I'm actually quite puzzled why people like Corbyn would want to leave.

The hard left is full of purity test crazies just like the hard right.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Genuine question guys.

We live in a block of flats. There's a nice Polish couple who I've spoken to a few times over the last couple of years and always say hi to me when I see them.

Our area was 61-39 Leave. Would it be stupid to maybe, I don't know, buy them a little gift or write them a card or something just to say that we're thinking of them?

As long as that card doesn't say "fuck off back home" it might be nice.

oti

Banned
I'll be there. First time I've 'formally' protested about anything in my life. If not for this, then what?

Where were you when the nation needed you the most? Yes, I'm talking about the international Boaty McBoatface crisis.

Be safe.

How come Leave now wants free movement? Wasn't that like the biggest issue they had with the EU? People coming to Britain from other countries to work there.

Or do they mean free movement as in just visa free for holidays and such? Which of course is going to happen.

They used immigration to win, to herd the sheep into supporting them. They had no intention of cutting immigration because it would hurt the economy.

Maledict

Because originally the EU was much more about open markets and trade, so the conservatives were in favour and the left opposed. Since then it's flipped, and the EU has become the biggest force for workers rights and consumer protection in the UK. but relics like Jeremy Corbyn simply cannot change, *ever*. It's not what they do.

Northern Ireland isn't. Only one party is.
It was the EU that was behind the Good Friday Agreement that ended conflict in Northern Ireland. Leaving the EU would undermine the Good Friday Agreement, so the Northern Ireland separatist movement is going to gain a lot more popularity as a result.

Maledict

Erm, there was a vote Thursday, the PM said it's binding when he talked to parliament today. That's as official as it's gonna get - we are out.

On a separate note we have a leadership crises, forgive us while we sort that out before making any more official statements to the European Council.

In the meantime, diplomatic courtesy suggest some informal talks would probably be prudent to help expedite matters after we've sorted out our internal political problems.

Seems to me the EU, as an organisation, and Germany want to force us into declaring article 50 at a time when we are politically on our knees. Are you really that scared someone sensible will be chosen as PM and we find a way of placating the wider British public without having to leave?

(note, I'm pro-remain and don't want to leave at all).

Hardly official at all. 4 days after the referendum, no-one in the Tory party is going to say reverse the decision. The EU knows this as well, hence Merkel's tolerance for us taking our time.

I know I'm partly in denial here, but until Article 50 is triggered we are not leaving the EU, and the more and more the economy craters the less likely that is - especially if the EU is clear we can't have access to the single market without freedom of movement.

Pandy

I guess it was an open secret amongst his inner circle and someone has leaked to the press?

If that's all they've got, it'll be a lie.
He tweeted he voted Remain. Unless he admits it himself, or they have a recording of him admitting it in private, I won't believe it for a second.

Of course, I'd be much more inclined to believe them if they hadn't unsuccessfully spent the last two days trying to pressure him out of office.

Hazzuh

Because originally the EU was much more about open markets and trade, so the conservatives were in favour and the left opposed. Since then it's flipped, and the EU has become the biggest force for workers rights and consumer protection in the UK. but relics like Jeremy Corbyn simply cannot change, *ever*. It's not what they do.

Hey, be fair! He's totally willing to change position as long as he is allowed to sabotage that side of the debate from the inside.

oti

Banned
And the only thing I can think is Scotland is in the news! Yay.

America-GAF is getting to know Scotland exists!

Everyone knows Scrooge McDuck but what the hell is going on with the US not knowing Donald Duck aka GOAT duck.

Delete your account, Micky Mouse.

What does it take for a general election to happen immediately?

Nothing, can't happen. the next general election is in May 2020. The only exceptions are:

• the new Tory lead gains permission from parliament to hold an early election
  • Parliament votes no-confidence in the new Tory leader and his/her cabinet, and confidence isn't restored within 2 weeks

In all likelyhood. New PM in September - parliament will grant an early election shortly after (assuming Labour's go their shit together by then).

StayDead

The second referendum talk is ridiculous. You don't get to redo a democratic vote because it didn't go the way you liked.

However, as the vote was non-binding, Scotland may try to block it with this second independence referendum talk. Scotland and Gibraltar being so upset are both concerns that may sway nationalists towards not wanting Article 50 invoked.

When one side won by completely missleading the public and nothing they've said is even remotely possible, I'd say it's fairer to redo.

jelly

When one side won by completely missleading the public and nothing they've said is even remotely possible, I'd say it's fairer to redo.

No redo, stupid vote in the first place. I'm sticking to my phase 1-5 theory. No referendum repeat or similar is phase 1 of getting us out of this which leads to a good bunch saying the vote is shite, let's stay as we are and move on shall we, good.

There won't be a global recession, UK does not have that sort of influence.

Also that 2 trillion was value lost in stocks, it's incredibly huge but that's what it is..stock values not real assets or funds. They will rise.
London was the world's financial capital, according to Global Financial Centres Index, even ahead of New York. This was partly because London was like a gateway between the EU and the English-speaking world. If London takes a beating, then so does the world economy, especially the EU economy. And now it's safe to say London is no longer the world's financial capital after Brexit.

The world economy is heavily dependent on stocks and shares, just as much as assets and funds. Many economists are predicting a global recession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom