• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Remember when "Man looks funny when he eats ham sandwich" was Politics front page worthy?

I mean, it is reality, but just to be clear, it is not an unreasonable expectation that, given that you had a bunch of politicians supporting leaving, you would now be ready for one of them to step up and lead the nation in doing so.

I agree, it'd been nice to hear more from Boris, Gove, May, et al - but superficially Cameron is still in charge here, even if he won't push the button. The parties have their own internal process for electing a leader.

All we can do is wait and see how Wednesday/Thursday plays out.

Also, don't forget the prevailing wisdom is that the Gove/Johnson camp have been completely wrong footed by Brexit - the nation called their bluff.

pigeon

Banned
People may have already seen this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...k_57714985e4b0232d331e7762?yi5smw9xzao4kotj4i

huffpo said:
A shocked Brexit voter has written to all MPs to express regret for their decision - only to get short shrift from a Tory minister.

The voter, whom HuffPost UK will not name, wrote that they hadn’t wanted to quit the EU but voted ‘Leave’ in order to reduce the margin of victory for the ‘Remain’ campaign....

But [Therese] Coffey, the Deputy Leader of the Commons and a strong backer of the Remain campaign, sent back a swift reply at “16:01”, writing thus:

Bit late now, mate.

Thanks for thinking it through so carefully.

We’ll try to make the best of what you voted for last week for the sake of families and businesses across the country.

Bye now.

Also contains this great quote from the Leave voter which again illustrates exactly why putting this to a referendum was incredibly dumb:

I never ever wanted to actually leave the EU but I voted ‘out’ anyway.

I expected Remain to win. I thought the 10 percent of undecided voters would choose the safer status quo as the only rational option was to remain (I realise now that I was slightly irrational to vote the other way).

The lesson here is that assuming that people vote intelligently for the outcome they prefer is super dumb. As any economics professor will tell you, on average it's a marginal loss to vote at all, so you already know that anybody who bothered to turn up is somewhat irrational!

Isn't the WW2 analogy actually pretty apt? Britain commits massive political error and now needs Russia and the US to clean it up?

Wait till you hear about the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and the join invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union in September 1939. It'll blow your mind.

Wrzesien2.jpg

AHA-Lambda

Here is the thing. I couldn't give a flying fuck what you think about my attitude. The leave campaign has jeopardised my future, my families future, my friends future, my colleagues future, my partners future and the futures of many other people that I am in step with both mentally, ideologically and spiritually.

I have no incentive to give a rat's ass about their future when they have done such damage to mine. I don't care about the "conversation", the reasons this happened, or the way forward for England and Wales.

From now on, I'm working every waking hour to make sure I am able to leave this place and have a better life elsewhere. If you or anyone else have a problem with that, bloody tough shit.

The gall and audacity of some of you to attempt to talk from some moral high ground after you have a set off a economic nuke that will be felt for generations, on the basis of pretty much a tantrum. Disgusting.

Exactly. Too true.

The more and more you tell me to calm down and to unite together and help fix the problems, the madder and madder I get.

You lot got us into this disaster (and I stress disaster, if you still think otherwise you're god damned deluded) so you can bloody fix it, if you even can.
You break it, you bought it.

Why would anyone do that? Their economy was good, so they didn't change to possibly break it. The situations aren't even remotely similar.

I was being sarcastic because, a lot of people in this thread seem to think that the only reason people would vote Leave is because they're racist.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Wait till you hear about the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and the join invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union in September 1939. It'll blow your mind.

Wrzesien2.jpg

Hitler: "Hey Stalin, I know you hate me m8, but trust me. Let's invade Poland together, you take half, I take half. I'm totally not gonna screw you over later."

The lesson here is that assuming that people vote intelligently for the outcome they prefer is super dumb. As any economics professor will tell you, on average it's a marginal loss to vote at all, so you already know that anybody who bothered to turn up is somewhat irrational!

"I acted like an idiot because I assumed everyone else would act smart" is a Disney movie cliche just waiting to be filmed.

It is making me furious that leavers are crying about coming together in unity. Does that include everyone or just white english? Bit late to start trying to spread a positive message.

Exactly. Too true.

The more and more you tell me to calm down and to unite together and help fix the problems, the madder and madder I get.

You lot got us into this you bloody fix it, if you even can.

Exactly. The more I think about the whole thing, how pointless it's turning out and turmoil it's causing, the more incensed I get.

And rather than understand that, knuckling down and showing us solutions and reassuring us that there may be some benefit, we are getting patronising berk after patronising berk, telling us that that the people have spoken and we must unite to fix the fallout.

How about some of you orgainse, start doing some groundwork and prove this is the best way forward, instead of asking people to wipe your dripping arse while you shit yourself?

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
Edit - Looks like it was posted while I was typing

Not sure if this has been posted already but wow.

“Dear Remain MPs

“I never ever wanted to actually leave the EU but I voted ‘out’ anyway.

“I expected Remain to win. I thought the 10 percent of undecided voters would choose the safer status quo as the only rational option was to remain (I realise now that I was slightly irrational to vote the other way).

“I’d hoped that my vote would contribute towards Remain’s margin being more narrow.

“I’d hoped that this cause some introspection by the EU and help expedite reforms (i.e. stop meddling in so many laws, concentrate on trade and lessen the move to ever closer unity).

“I misjudged the electorate and I now regret the way I voted.”

You don't fucking say.

Jisgsaw

Is there a really good article about this whole European Union and why it's bad for UK to leave? I'm American and I'm curious about European politics.

To keep it short and somewhat simplified: a huge part of the UK economy is based on the financial market.
The main reason why London is still a financial center is because it's there than most of the trnasaction about EU financial products is done. Exiting EU means losing this market, which can't be good.

There's also the part where being in the EU means being in the single market, which makes your own national market much more attractive for foreign investment.

Condom

Hitler: "Hey Stalin, I know you hate me m8, but trust me. Let's invade Poland together, you take half, I take half. I'm totally not gonna screw you over later."
Pretty sure Stalin was preparing to attack Germany too but Hitler prepared his army faster.

You could say that they both played themselves in the end.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How much of this rating stuff is just short term collywobbles? We're still a big economy so I don't see why we'd be downgraded so much. These sorts of things can cause a vicious circle if not careful

DjRalford

Here is the thing. I couldn't give a flying fuck what you think about my attitude. The leave campaign has jeopardised my future, my families future, my friends future, my colleagues future, my partners future and the futures of many other people that I am in step with both mentally, ideologically and spiritually.

I have no incentive to give a rat's ass about their future when they have done such damage to mine. I don't care about the "conversation", the reasons this happened, or the way forward for England and Wales.

From now on, I'm working every waking hour to make sure I am able to leave this place and have a better life elsewhere. If you or anyone else have a problem with that, bloody tough shit.

The gall and audacity of some of you to attempt to talk from some moral high ground after you have a set off a economic nuke that will be felt for generations, on the basis of pretty much a tantrum. Disgusting.

And i couldn't give a flying fuck about your opinion :)

Tak3n

Banned
People may have already seen this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...k_57714985e4b0232d331e7762?yi5smw9xzao4kotj4i

Also contains this great quote from the Leave voter which again illustrates exactly why putting this to a referendum was incredibly dumb:

need to be a bit careful with these, I am not saying they are not real, but this is open to abuse quite easily... especially with it making headlines,and the effort to write to every MP takes quite a commitment

Hasney

How much of this rating stuff is just short term collywobbles? We're still a big economy so I don't see why we'd be downgraded so much. These sorts of things can cause a vicious circle if not careful

Because we're forecast to be in a recession that is not going to be easy to come out of. It's not likely to be short term while we have no real leadership and no plan to leave the EU other than respecting the will of the people.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What surprises me is in the past, losing our AAA rating was cause for panic and alarm, but now its "It's OK. We're England. We'll get through this. Everyone will want to trade with us now!"

Looking at some comments online, it's like I'm the only one aware I'm in a car with no brakes going down a hill for no good reason.

Polari

Fitch downgrade to AA negative.

Just AA according to the Guardian.

Let's not forget a lot of the political instability forcing these ratings down and wreaking havoc on the markets is the responsibility of the Remainers - Cameron and the Blairite wing of the Labour party. Time for the politicians to finally stump up and show some leadership.

Zaph

But it doesn't?

Look at the polling for what the no.1 issue is. Anyone willing to do this much wanton damage to their economy over immigration definitely has very questionable priorities to where an accusation of racism isn't surprising.

need to be a bit careful with these, I am not saying they are real, but this is open to abuse quite easily...and the effort to write to every MP takes quite a commitment

That's rich

Respect

When a concrete plan is in place and much less uncertainty is ahead, the rating will inevitably change in time....but how long is the question no one can answer.

It is making me furious that leavers are crying about coming together in unity. Does that include everyone or just white english? Bit late to start trying to spread a positive message.

I think that depends on which Leaver you asked. Some* think all non albino's were automatically deported 10pm Thursday night.

*generalisation for comedic effect only.

It's actually long term. They don't change this stuff weekly. It's a rating on the outlook of Britain being able to pay its debt in the future. Now that they want out of the EU, they will be facing economic difficulties, so until that is resolved and the outlook is better again, the rating won't go up.

Hazzuh

At least we won't have to listen to Conservative politicians talking about how they're the only people you can trust with the economy anymore :)

theaface

We are a big economy, but we've been put on a course to become a smaller one, hence the downgrades. They should rightly have people worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom