• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

need to be a bit careful with these, I am not saying they are not real, but this is open to abuse quite easily... especially with it making headlines,and the effort to write to every MP takes quite a commitment
They're amusing stories, but such anecdotal evidence would* never be taken seriously by anyone.

*93yr old mums notwithstanding

*Splinter

sorry, who are you? where do you come in on that conversation?

Clue for you, don;t bother answering because i couldn't give a shit.
misc-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg

AHA-Lambda

already commented on your previous post mate, that's what.

you can have the honour of being the first person to get on my ignore list after many years of being on gaf

vQWgXIb.gif

Hasney

So your schtick is to tell people to work together and then tell them you don't give a shit about what they say? Interesting strategy, let's see how it plays out.

chadskin

How much of this rating stuff is just short term collywobbles? We're still a big economy so I don't see why we'd be downgraded so much. These sorts of things can cause a vicious circle if not careful

Just for reference, the UK maintained an AAA rating by S&P all throughout the financial crisis that began in 2008 but was downgraded to an AA rating following the Brexit referendum today.

Biggzy

Exactly. The more I think about the whole thing, how pointless it's turning out and turmoil it's causing, the more incensed I get.

And rather than understand that, knuckling down and showing us solutions and reassuring us that there may be some benefit, we are getting patronising berk after patronising berk, telling us that that the people have spoken and we must unite to fix the fallout.

How about some of you orgainse, start doing some groundwork and prove this is the best way forward, instead of asking people to wipe your dripping arse while you shit yourself?

This is what I am afraid of. At the end of all this if we end up in a position that is worse or the same, I will be royally pissed considering the divisions it has has highlighted, the hate it has brought out and the potential economic and damage to the UK's prestige it may cause.

StayDead

Pretty sure Stalin was preparing to attack Germany too but Hitler prepared his army faster.

You could say that they both played themselves in the end.

He definately was, it's why the Blitzkrieg worked so well.

All of Stalin's supplies were on the border.

People may have already seen this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...k_57714985e4b0232d331e7762?yi5smw9xzao4kotj4i

Also contains this great quote from the Leave voter which again illustrates exactly why putting this to a referendum was incredibly dumb:

The lesson here is that assuming that people vote intelligently for the outcome they prefer is super dumb. As any economics professor will tell you, on average it's a marginal loss to vote at all, so you already know that anybody who bothered to turn up is somewhat irrational!

I love the sentiment that they basically did it in the hopes of causing a bit of drama.

This whole subsection of Leave voters who seemingly voted purely to screw with the government is mind-blowing to me. I mean, I guess it worked, but how about a strongly worded letter or an incoherent jeer in the street next time.

Not to sound like some crotchety old bastard, but I do wonder if the era of reality TV and the constant demand for interactivity and votes and the like has dampened the actual implications of casting a political vote. There seems to be this huge demographic who appear to have voted purely as a middle finger, unaware that that middle finger is worth billions of pounds.

Kadayi

Banned
Let's not forget a lot of the political instability forcing these ratings down and wreaking havoc on the markets is the responsibility of the Remainers - Cameron and the Blairite wing of the Labour party. Time for the politicians to finally stump up and show some leadership.

Indeed. Was at work today talking to fellow remainers and everyone's basically was 'get on with it Cameron and invoke the article' the longer the delay the longer the negative impact. Cameron's dawdling to protect his ego is somewhat akin to Nero fiddling whilst Rome burned.

The certainty of action is required to settle the market place.

Biggzy

As long as there's no real plan, no real leader it will go downhill. Uncertainty is poison for the markets.

With the potential this can cause to the treasury's costs of borrowing and inflation likely to start going up, it is going to put a lot of pressure on the nation's finances.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Uh oh. Seems Corbyn definitely voted LEAVE....

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/747496441795481600

Shame, because he's putting in amazing effort to REMAIN now.

I am interested in what they plan to report, but do you think you've accurately summarized what's behind your link? Because it seems to me that a summary is that a journalist claims he's fairly certain Corbyn voted leave, and your summary is that Corbyn definitely voted leave, and it seems like you don't understand the conceptual slippage there.

Hasney

Posted a few ages ago, Corbyn has already said he had voted Remain. There's enough blame to throw at him without resorting to gutter shit.

I agree. I don't like him right now and wish he would go, but since his vote is private, if he said he voted remain, he voted remain as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see what evidence they could produce to the contrary without doing something illegal.

Joni

Wales relies on EU funding.
Votes Leave.
Realises they are now stuck with England, getting nothing.
Now want independence so they can join EU again.

It ain't happening Wales. I'm so sorry.

At one point, it becomes easier to kick England minus London out of the United Kingdom.

MLH

I liked Milliband. He deserved better than the media idiocy that surrounded him.

Indeed, I feel like media idiocy is partly responsible for this mess too. We have a media that is more obsessed with quick soundbites and shock headlines than thought provoking articles, journalists that fail to ask tough questions to those that claim they have the answers. And this is no longer exclusive the the Murdoch tabloids even the BBC is guilty of playing to the lowest common denominator, it's a sad state.

Biggzy

Wales relies on EU funding.
Votes Leave.
Realises they are now stuck with England, getting nothing.
Now want independence so they can join EU again.

It ain't happening Wales. I'm so sorry.

I have sympathy for Scotland and N.Ireland being dragged into this mess, but Wales deserves to be in this mess with us. Wales is like a person with Stockholm syndrome when it comes to England.

danowat

Banned
England's football performance is a good analogy for our government, everyone is just looking at each other wondering what the fuck is going on and what to do next.

Morat

Banned
I agree. I don't like him right now and wish he would go, but since his vote is private, if he said he voted remain, he voted remain as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see what evidence they could produce to the contrary without doing something illegal.

Well, if its the tabloids...

Anyway, I agree with you.

Zaph

Indeed. Was at work today talking to fellow remainers and everyone's basically was 'get on with it Cameron and invoke the article' the longer the delay the longer the negative impact. Cameron's dawdling to protect his ego is somewhat akin to Nero fiddling whilst Rome burned.

Absolutely not. What we're seeing now is the calm before the storm - triggering the two year countdown on a50 before we're ready with a leadership, plan and team, would be suicide.

oti

Banned
With the potential this can cause to the treasury's costs of borrowing and inflation likely to start going up, it is going to put a lot of pressure on the nation's finances.

Yeah. I know that people like to say rating services don't matter but that's not true. They are dangerous, don't get me wrong, but they do matter. Money will be more expensive from now on and that's never a good thing.

How much of this rating stuff is just short term collywobbles? We're still a big economy so I don't see why we'd be downgraded so much. These sorts of things can cause a vicious circle if not careful

The downgrade is largely due to the higher risk currently in the UK economy. It's also unclear what the size of the UK economy will look like in the future. It will probably shrink, some economists say 3-5% in the short term before bouncing back, others say up to 10% and it may remain there for years. The downgrade will probably last at least until UK officially separates from the EU if not longer, until the effect from leaving the EU becomes more concrete instead of speculation.

Maledict

Nope - activating article 50 will make stuff even worse. Activating article 50 means there's no going back, and we still won't have a clue what's going on. Right now the city is putting immense pressure on the Tories to not take us out.

Activating article 50 isn't like pulling a plaster off - it's like shooting your arm off and hoping it stops bleeding before you die. It actually introduces more uncertainty into the mix.

If your friends voted remain, the best bet now for that to happen is we keep putting it off. Every day we put it off makes it harder to fire the gun.

Pandy

I am interested in what they plan to report, but do you think you've accurately summarized what's behind your link? Because it seems to me that a summary is that a journalist claims he's fairly certain Corbyn voted leave, and your summary is that Corbyn definitely voted leave, and it seems like you don't understand the conceptual slippage there.

I think we all understand UK newspaper headlines. If they play it subtle I'l be amazed. This is part of a concerted effort to remove him from office, and they've decided that they need to poison the well before putting up a formal challenge.

kmag

Indeed, I feel like media idiocy is partly responsible for this mess too. We have a media that is more obsessed with quick soundbites and shock headlines than thought provoking articles, journalists that fail to ask tough questions to those that claim they have the answers. And this is no longer exclusive the the Murdoch tabloids even the BBC is guilty of playing to the lowest common denominator, it's a sad state.

The BBC's formalised lack of bias (hold the laughter) isn't helpful in situations where campaigns are going off the deep end. You had BBC reporters stating that they knew that the £350m stuff was an utter fabrication but they can't report that, they can only couch in "leave say this, remain say that" where a number of them felt when a lie is so blatantly and demonstrably untrue, they should be able to approach the reporting of that far more factually rather than the two sides nonsense.

Corto

England's football performance is a good analogy for our government, everyone is just looking at each other wondering what the fuck is going on and what to do next.

This will make for very uninspired first pages across Europe. I expect "Brexit 2" over and over again.

FStop7

Banned

Jesus, I can't believe I couldn't think of what the weekend's events reminded me of. That's it. Cameron's dawdling and cracking dumb jokes in parliament. Johnson fucking off to play cricket, etc.

Biggzy

Yeah. I know that people like to say rating services don't matter but that's not true. They are dangerous, don't get me wrong, but they do matter. Money will be more expensive from now on and that's never a good thing.

It will be very dangerous because the UK has been able to rely on very cheap debt for some time now.

pigeon

Banned
I mean, to be clear, the downgrade is not necessarily because of anything about the UK economy, any more than the downgrade of US treasury bonds had anything to do with the US economy.

US treasury bonds got downgraded because our government demonstrated it was dysfunctional to the point that, while there was zero chance we would not be able to pay, there was some chance we would ACCIDENTALLY not pay our debts. (And I guess a small but notable faction that wanted to deliberately not pay our debts, including Donald Trump.)

I assume the UK's downgrade is, similarly, mostly an attempt to reflect that if the UK will vote to destroy its own economy and fuck up everything then maybe lending them money is a little bit more dangerous than expected just on the principle that the UK is a shambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom