• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
so Boris, me and now Daniel Hannen believe free trade and immigration control is possible

soon i will be able to use that dozens of us gif :)

"It ought to be possible to stay in a free market arrangement with the EU", with some EU nationals able to work in the UK, says Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan.

You know, European stock markets are crashing too, even harder then the British. What an unimaginable thing to tell the ones who caused all this to bring clarity and stability back ASAP.
Some Brits do really think they are special and entitled...geez.

I'm sorry if it came across the wrong way. But - we have no leadership! There is no one here to trigger article 50. I know it's painful, but I didn't vote for this crap either. You, like me, will have to wait until we have restored leadership. That's not entitlement - that's reality, and I'm sorry if that is difficult to understand.

Women, he's been around.

Labour-party-leader-Jeremy-Corbyn.jpg

Playa!!

Same. I really hoped he could bring about nicer politics and better policy ideas, but he just slowly becomes more and more of a joke.

I've said it a few times, I like him, and he never got a chance from his party, the opposition, or the media, which is a damn shame, but he needs to go now.

Hasney

I wonder how many 85+ year olds voted, you know, people who actually fought in WW2.....

On the Last Leg, Adam (the Aussie presenter) said that the demographics showed that the vote to remain was actually better with the really old, but I can't find the source on it.

Morat

Banned
I've said it a few times, I like him, and he never got a chance from his party, the opposition, or the media, which is a damn shame, but he needs to go now.

I have to agree. Much of what as happened has not been fair to the man, but at this point the party is in full revolt, ad you can't fight that [for long at any rate]

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm not working with any of you. The only thing I'm working on now is securing the best future I can for myself and my family I can, and if that means leaving each and everyone of you to your misery so be it.

Why on earth would I set sail on a ship with crewmates that have set it on fire? You must be bloody mad.

This so much, I am just looking into option into getting the fuck out of England.

That image also ignores the fact that after World War 2 the EU was formed to improve relation between European nation. Plus the British Army weren't the only people fighting for Briton and peace, especially in World War 1 with Indian solders.

But the whole "Respect your elders as they fought in the war" crowd seem to forget that.

Kazaam

I honestly don't understand people who realise what a mistake this has been and yet they keep on going with "now we have to ensure the best deal with Europe". How can you still go ahead with this, ignoring what's already happened, the attitudes of the parties and the future predictions from the same people who have speculated and predicted most of the consequences that happened and were proven true... This is basically like losing an All-In bet in a Poker Game and then saying "wait... I also have the keys from my car and the keys from my house.. deal me another hand". Let's not pretend this wasn't just a masquerade game from the political cohort that gambled way too much for their own personal gain. They need to be accountable as they're the ones who fucked up big time when they're supposed to be the ones protecting the people. And I don't want to hear the democracy bullshit anymore because if a referendum was put in place about people wanting to start a nuclear war with Russia because.. why not, make Great Britain great again.. with a 52% vote for, doesn't mean the government should actually go ahead with it. Will it be political suicide if they pull the plug... sure, but they're the ones who put themselves in this situation in the first place.

EDIT: This has been the best episode of The Thick of It... tragically, I found myself actually in the show and not as a simple viewer.

pigeon

Banned
I'm sorry if it came across the wrong way. But - we have no leadership! There is no one here to trigger article 50. I know it's painful, but I didn't vote for this crap either. You, like me, will have to wait until we have restored leadership. That's not entitlement - that's reality, and I'm sorry if that is difficult to understand.

I mean, it is reality, but just to be clear, it is not an unreasonable expectation that, given that you had a bunch of politicians supporting leaving, you would now be ready for one of them to step up and lead the nation in doing so.

The fact that there is no such person should be (and clearly is) genuinely concerning for everybody, but especially the people who supported leaving. Shouldn't they be more concerned that the people who spoke out most in favor of leaving are going around town in fake mustaches all of a sudden?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Abbot basically said he didn't want to do joint campaigning with Cameron, something that polled very well for remain, because it would potentially hurt Labour vote in the north. Party before country. Cunts. The lot of them.

And to thnk all the young voters backing him as a man of principal :(

A joint campaign for remain would have been great I think.

Juicy Bob

I honestly don't understand people who realise what a mistake this has been and yet they keep on going with "now we have to ensure the best deal with Europe". How can you still go ahead with this, ignoring what's already happened, the attitudes of the parties and the future predictions from the same people who have speculated and predicted most of the consequences that happened and were proven true... This is basically like losing an All-In bet in a Poker Game and then saying "wait... I also have the keys from my car and the keys from my house.. deal me another hand". Let's not pretend this wasn't just a masquerade game from the political cohort that gambled way too much for their own personal gain. They need to be accountable as they're the ones who fucked up big time when they're supposed to be the ones protecting the people. And I don't want to hear the democracy bullshit anymore because if a referendum was put in place about people wanting to start a nuclear war with Russia because.. why not, make Great Britain great again.. with a 52% vote for, doesn't mean the government should actually go ahead with it. Will it be political suicide if they pull the plug... sure, but they're the ones who put themselves in this situation in the first place.
Yeah, you're right. But can you imagine how riled up the passionate Brexiteers will be - let alone the far-right - if Parliament overrules it somehow?

We've already had an MP killed, for fuck's sake. There will literally be riots in the fucking streets.

We consider Iceland a member for the night.

Iceland withdrew their application for an EU membership last year.
They don't want to be a member.

Please guys don't start calling them racist, xenophobic arseholes who are destroying their country's economy.

Hasney

We consider Iceland a member for the night./QUOTE]

Iceland withdrew their application for an EU membership last year.
They don't want to be a member.

Please guys don't start calling them racist, xenophobic arseholes who are destroying their country's economy.

Why would anyone do that? That was based on a great recovery from the financial crisis through spending and tax increases, not immagration. I could hop over there now. Their economy was good, so they didn't change to possibly break it. The situations aren't even remotely similar.

As an American, this is all so very horrifying to watch. From what I'm gathering, given the lack of post-referendum planning from the Leave campaign and from what several members have said in this thread, it sounds like Brexit started as pure political posturing? That even the Leave campaign expected it to fail, but used it to fire up the support of their base?

Sending good vibes to all in the UK. Tumultuous times ahead.

Kazaam

Yeah, you're right. But can you imagine how riled up the passionate Brexiteers will be - let alone the far-right - if Parliament overrules it somehow?

We've already had an MP killed, for fuck's sake. There will literally be riots in the fucking streets.

Not if they come clean with their fucking bullshit... which unfortunately, won't happen. For them is better to go along with what's happening or abandon ship than actually be accountable for anything.

Lego Boss

Here is the thing. I couldn't give a flying fuck what you think about my attitude. The leave campaign has jeopardised my future, my families future, my friends future, my colleagues future, my partners future and the futures of many other people that I am in step with both mentally, ideologically and spiritually.

I have no incentive to give a rat's ass about their future when they have done such damage to mine. I don't care about the "conversation", the reasons this happened, or the way forward for England and Wales.

From now on, I'm working every waking hour to make sure I am able to leave this place and have a better life elsewhere. If you or anyone else have a problem with that, bloody tough shit.

The gall and audacity of some of you to attempt to talk from some moral high ground after you have a set off a economic nuke that will be felt for generations, on the basis of pretty much a tantrum. Disgusting.

Fucking A brother.

GOAT post.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Leaving isn't going to change any of the stuff that got people to vote for it. People will still be disenfranchised - just by Westminster instead of Westminster and the EU. *more* so as there won't be EU protections to stop the conservatives fucking with workers rights etc.

I'm completely ok with there being a large swathe of the population feeling disconnected. This absolutely should be a wake up call for politicians. But leaving won't help that.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Those are just famous people, I can't see my grandfather on there for example, lol
Oh, I see. I figured Army records would make it pretty easy to list everyone who served, but I guess not. Still doubt that the figure would've been high enough to reasonably assume World War 2 veterans specifically caused Leave to win, so the image is still dumb.

theaface

As an American, this is all so very horrifying to watch. From what I'm gathering, given the lack of post-referendum planning from the Leave campaign and from what several members have said in this thread, it sounds like Brexit started as pure political posturing? That even the Leave campaign expected it to fail, but used it to fire up the support of their base?

Sending good vibes to all in the UK. Tumultuous times ahead.

Spot on assessment, and thank you. But only 48% deserve the good vibes. The rest deserve a death stare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom