• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
English will not be an official EU language after Brexit, says senior MEP

Danuta Hübner, the head of the European Parliament’s Constitutional Affairs Committee (AFCO), warned Monday that English will not be one of the European Union’s official languages after Britain leaves the EU.

“We have a regulation … where every EU country has the right to notify one official language,” Hübner said. “The Irish have notified Gaelic, and the Maltese have notified Maltese, so you have only the U.K. notifying English.”

“If we don’t have the U.K., we don’t have English,” Hübner said.

Man, some people are just out taking the piss.

avaya

Ace :D

I'm starting to worry again if they do intimate article 50 to save face and act like they've done something new instead of sticking with the much better deal we already have. They wouldn't be that stupid right?

These hopes are now dependent on the City of London. The Financial Sector is going ham right now to reverse this result behind the scenes.

Crumpo

Yes, me too. I find myself glaring at the elderly for god's sake. Which, just, doesn't feel right and yet also does. Everybody I pass, it's like their vote is the single determining factor in whether I can have any respect for them at all at the moment. I'm not a hateful person, I'm not used to feeling like this. I actively despise a large number of the electorate, and it feels crap but it also feels justified.

Yes, this. There's no unity to have here. Leave voters - you allied yourselves with absolute fucking monsters, and you sold my children's futures, and two unions I happened to give a shit about (I'm a better together person for both the UK and EU - though now fully support Scottish Independence) down the river for some vision of England that never fucking existed and will never fucking exist. You bastards. I want out.

This feeling I have seen across this thread and shared by a bunch of GAF'ers, myself included. I felt strongly about social inclusion, hence why I voted remain, but the disdain I have had for people who have voted leave is really hard to reconcile with my original opinions.

Over the last few days I have acknowledged the fact that a LOT of leave people are not racist or intolerant; they just were flat-out lied to. They should be as angry as we are and some are already coming around to it.

But for now, I'm switching to self-preservation mode-I've accepted the positives of my job potentially being transferred to Europe and will take that as an opportunity for Middle England to have a think about what they've done.

England will be the official language because it is already widely spoken in Europe and the EU still needs to trade with the United States and other large economies that trade primarily in English.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Anyone else see the people they interviewed on BBC News just now about this? Jesus this country is embarrassing, they aren't racist of course...but they do want everyone to go back to their countries and lets just ignore this swastika tattoo on the guys arm.

King_Moc

Banned
My aunt was walking with her teenage child today when she suffered the most horrific abuse. Bear in mind she never had even the slightest bit of xenophbia living in the UK for years.

Honestly i am speechless. I expected racism in barnsley. Not sheffield of all places

Well, these people now think that they're the majority, so unfortunately this is going to happen.

My country is fucking shit. Yuck.

Chinner

Banned
Anyone else see the people they interviewed on BBC News just now about this? Jesus this country is embarrassing, they aren't racist of course...but they do want everyone to go back to their countries and lets just ignore this swastika tattoo on my arm.
Anyone have a link to this?

cilonen

There's no option. The result was leave. Anyone attempting to bypass that is committing political suicide. Two years is plenty of time to establish agreements, especially given the likes of Germany, etc want to resolve matters amicably.

This idea that the government and Cameron in particular can happily do nothing on the issue whilst the country nose dives into another recession, and not be held accountable come the next GE is farcical.

You say that as if there's a major politician in the UK that hasn't committed political suicide in the last 5 days.

Calabi

There's no option. The result was leave. Anyone attempting to bypass that is committing political suicide. Two years is plenty of time to establish agreements, especially given the likes of Germany, etc want to resolve matters amicably.

This idea that the government and Cameron in particular can happily do nothing on the issue whilst the country nose dives into another recession, and not be held accountable come the next GE is farcical.

Its not enough time to establish new agreements. It's probably just enough time to figure out what to do with all the interconnected parts, what happens to all the business's and people and whatever else that is relevant.

Its like trying to pull apart two plants that have grown together for years, or ivy that has grown into a tree. Its not enough time to hammer out a new deal.

Straight onto the WTO the UK will go, and it will die a slow strangulating death, as alot of business's leave or collapse due to the tarrif's and requirements.

jelly

These hopes are now dependent on the City of London. The Financial Sector is going ham right now to reverse this result behind the scenes.

Fingers crossed but every day that passes it feels more like some idiot is going to choose the stupid option

Ashes

Banned
Goddamn...

The great humbling for the small island nation.

I hope the lesson future politicians learn from this shitshow is a good one.

Humbling? They basically have to change stuff just so they can continue talking to each other in English.

GamingKaiju

Those people on the BBC news do not represent England, GAF.

I wanted to book my holiday this month and the price has increased 3x

Thanks Cameron for fucking up the Country

I'm so sad.

theaface

Any sources? I'd be desperate for this to be true, given the Tories are almost exclusively motivated by wealth.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Mirror (The only staunch Labour-supporting newspaper) front page tells Corbyn to GO NOW.

Corto

Time to dust off my German I suppose...
I guess UK is just getting the consequences of pissing off other members for decades, now they're all piling on for the sake of it. A bit petty to be honest, now is not the time for such behaviour.

This is only a side effect of EU formalism. Every country needs to notify it's official language. UK out, english is out from official communications. But I'm sure euro english will keep being the Esperanto on EU.

Kadayi

Banned
Its not enough time to establish new agreements. It's probably just enough time to figure out what to do with all the interconnected parts, what happens to all the business's and people and whatever else that is relevant.

Its like trying to pull apart two plants that have grown together for years, or ivy that has grown into a tree. Its not enough time to hammer out a new deal.

Straight onto the WTO the UK will go, and it will die a slow strangulating death, as alot of business's leave or collapse due to the tarrif's and requirements.

It must be a terrible burden to live one's life in such abject fear of change.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is the most a nation has embarrassed itself in a week since America reelected Bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom