• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakage

Uninformed idiots have voted to ruin this country and all the politicians can say is "we have to respect the will of the people, unite and move on". It's insulting.

For those that are planning to leave the country over Brexit where are you going?

There's crazy neo-nazi racists in most countries, I think that the BBC searching them out for their opinions says more about the BBC than it does for the rest of the UK. My step mother and half-sisters are Asian / half Asian, they voted to leave, as did many other Asians. Let's not fall into racists hands by turning this into a race issue.

Wasting your time man.

Doesn't fit the outrage narrative.

Meadows

Banned
Uninformed idiots have voted to ruin this country and all the politicians can say is "we have to respect the will of the people, unite and move on". It's insulting.

For those that are planning to leave the country over Brexit where are you going?

I don't want to leave, I want to stay and help fix this shit.

avaya

They can't say anything else publicly yet.....wait. Just wait.

PJV3

There's crazy neo-nazi racists in most countries, I think that the BBC searching them out for their opinions says more about the BBC than it does for the rest of the UK. My step mother and half-sisters are Asian / half Asian, they voted to leave, as did many other Asians. Let's not fall into racists hands by turning this into a race issue.

Look, I'm in my mid 40s I've worked in plenty of places I know the banter when the Asian or Chinese people leave the room. I remember the NF shit everywhere in the 70s.

In short I know what people can be, you're not going to convince me, sorry. My wife is on edge, that's how it is.

Hasney

Good for them, but if racists are exposed as they have been emboldened and have been doing more demonstrations, then we as a society need to act. Do what Newcastle did, outnumber them during their little demos and protest directly against them. Use the fact they're being exposed as a potential to do some good and show them that a leave vote DOES NOT mean the country in any way shape or form agrees with them or even fucking tolerates them.

Its no good saying not to turn this into a race issue, its been done by EDL, UKIP and Britain First and now is not the time to be washing our hands of it.

Meadows

Banned
The only way to fix it is to overrule it imo.

That fixes the short-term problem.

The long-term problem will be very difficult and involves people like me, who are from poor towns (Warrington - Leave), going back and getting people we turned our backs on as we moved into big shiny cities involved, challenging bigotry and sharing our experience of a better, globalised world.

I don't know how I'll do that, perhaps by going into politics, but we all need to take responsibility for this.

Tyaren

Everyday i wake up with a full few minutes of hope . Then it hits me .

I feel like I am in a nightmare . I am having a slow motion anxiety attack .

When I walk into town everyone is walking around like normal talking as normal . No hate no nothing they seem hollow.

I just want to scream at them how they "fucked it all up" how shit it will be. "why aren't you fighting this?"

I fell that should I do these things ibwill cone across as one of the doomsayers.

I call myself and think about how I am going to get though this. A million scenarios going through my head. I come in here to talk through it. But every comment is different as soon as i glimpse any ray of hope it is shitted in.

Apocalyptic dystopian visions keep playing in my head.

Upper class , cut glass accented men tell me in the most insidious way "do not be alarmed this is your freedom being taken from you . This is your future ending"

I Try to go along as normal but Inside I want to scream and shake people to wake up....

This is how it feels right now

Maybe you should take a Brexit GAF timeout for one or two weeks? ;) What's going on in the UK right now is not pretty but this thread seems to magnify it 10 times.
I'm actually impressed by how brave UK GAF are facing and participating in ridiculing their very own country in here. That deserves immense respect! ;)

Chinner

Banned

The long-term problem will be very difficult and involves people like me, who are from poor towns (Warrington - Leave), going back and getting people we turned our backs on as we moved into big shiny cities involved, challenging bigotry and sharing our experience of a better, globalised world.

I don't know how I'll do that, perhaps by going into politics, but we all need to take responsibility for this.
That's alright until you're attacked for your beliefs.

Hasney

It'll take more than that, the big thing would be getting the government to put money into these areas. There is no way I can imagine that this would have happened during the Labour years. The banking crisis fucked up the centre left so hard because they "couldn't be trusted" with money. Well, at least they spent something helping the most vulnerable in society, what has this government done?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
"respect the will of the people" is politician talk for "i'm not going to destroy my career".
Can't some cunt take one for the team. Just say this wasn't binding . It was a glorified opinion poll. Yes we must don't the will of our people but we much also stop our fall from grace it is with that we cannot invoke article 50. All we can do is remain a silent partner

AngryMoth

I agree the BBC is leaning into the narrative too hard by putting a guy with swastika tattoos on tv, but to deny that immigration and xenophobia was not a motivation for a large number of leave voters is to stick your fingers in your ears to the reality. No, not every leave voters are racist, but every racist voted to leave, and sadly there numbers are not insignificant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From work, my firm and several others have made it clear the passport is their last stand. EU won't give UK a passport in the EEA without significant pound of flesh extracted or UK backing out of this.

The aim is to let the country see the economic disaster that is incoming and have government change it. So this will not be clean, normal people still suffer.

Doesn't Norway-like status allow passporting of services into Europe? If not then we are fucked whatever happens

Meadows

Banned
It'll take more than that, the big thing would be getting the government to put money into these areas. There is no way I can imagine that this would have happened during the Labour years. The banking crisis fucked up the centre left so hard because they "couldn't be trusted" with money. Well, at least they spent something helping the most vulnerable in society, what has this government done?

The government hasn't done enough but sometimes you just have to get off your arse and do something about it yourself.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Can't some cunt take one for the team. Just say this wasn't binding . It was a glorified opinion poll. Yes we must don't the will of our people but we much also stop our fall from grace it is with that we cannot invoke article 50. All we can do is remain a silent partner

Maybe someone with a lot to lose here will throw a few mil at someone to jump on the grenade.

Crumpo

It should be evident that this country is finished if we don't get access to the single market.

80-85% of the non batshit crazies in Westminster know this. They also know we have to abide by the 4 freedoms. So everyone knows they will never change the immigration rules.

This is a certainty, regardless of whatever people voted for, those in charge will not commit wilful economic suicide.

Cameron was asked today both to guarantee access to the single market and to safeguard the UK's passport for financial services AND to tell the commons of any country he knows that has access to the single market without freedom of movement of persons (which he obvs didn't name).

Commons is not stupid; they are setting this play up to protect financial services.

I think people are expecting us to "call off" leaving the EU...the more I think about it, we will leave but we'll keep everything we need to keep the economy on an even keel.

The government would much rather agree to that deal, which technically still abides by the will of the people "leaving the European Union", than ignore it completely. Not their fault the Brexiteers didn't write down their red line issues somewhere for people to give a shit about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Follow up question: if we negotiate access to the single market like Norway, does that mean we have to adopt workers rights etc? That's one thing I worry will be weakened

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They won't give that to us unless they get something for it. It could be a crazy fee.

Well a strong UK economy trading with Europe and smooth transition is good for Europe. And in tpreturn we get no voting rights? Considering how much of a thorn we have been in the sides of Germany and France, I'd give us that deal. They'd be free to carry on without having to listen to us complaining and we'd have no threat of veto etc.

Ashes

Banned
Follow up question: if we negotiate access to the single market like Norway, does that mean we have to adopt workers rights etc? That's one thing I worry will be weakened

Cameron said every single EU law would have to be looked at enshrined one by one. And Parliament would be involved in that discussion.

Condom

cv87Etr.png

Hasney

The government hasn't done enough but sometimes you just have to get off your arse and do something about it yourself.

I have. I campaigned for years on my old town to try and stop it being a Tory safe seat because it was a poorer area. Yet instead of trying to help themselves through investment, it just got disheartening to know that they were more interesting in squashing benefit cheats and keeping their own taxes down instead of helping themselves and everyone in the area.

People kept saying in the Brexit thread that those people believe that things couldn't get any worse, yet the last two GE's and likely this referendum has proven that there's always going to be a new low. Hopefully at some point pattern recognition kicks into help smooth things over and then hopefully we get a government that will fund them and help them get better.

avaya

Yes, for the most part we have to follow those for the sake of EU citizens coming here to work.

Cameron was asked today both to guarantee access to the single market and to safeguard the UK's passport for financial services AND to tell the commons of any country he knows that has access to the single market without freedom of movement of persons (which he obvs didn't name).

Commons is not stupid; they are setting this play up to protect financial services.

I think people are expecting us to "call off" leaving the EU...the more I think about it, we will leave but we'll keep everything we need to keep the economy on an even keel.

The government would much rather agree to that deal, which technically still abides by the will of the people "leaving the European Union", than ignore it completely. Not their fault the Brexiteers didn't write down their red line issues somewhere for people to give a shit about.

More clear cut than that, we won't get anything for FS by leaving. They wouldn't give it to us. This is why many conservative MPs are terrified.

Xando

Well a strong UK economy trading with Europe and smooth transition is good for Europe. And in tpreturn we get no voting rights? Considering how much of a thorn we have been in the sides of Germany and France, I'd give us that deal. They'd be free to carry on without having to listen to us complaining and we'd have no threat of veto etc.
Thanks to the leave vote they'll get passports + no complaints + continued contributions to EU budget for giving the UK access to the single market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom