• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow up question: if we negotiate access to the single market like Norway, does that mean we have to adopt workers rights etc? That's one thing I worry will be weakened

Getting a Norway-type deal basically entails joining the Schengen zone, adhering to all the rules and regulations every other EU country has to adhere to without having any say in them, and paying a contribution.

Famassu

There's crazy neo-nazi racists in most countries, I think that the BBC searching them out for their opinions says more about the BBC than it does for the rest of the UK. My step mother and half-sisters are Asian / half Asian, they voted to leave, as did many other Asians. Let's not fall into racists hands by turning this into a race issue.
Asians can be pretty racist/intolerant towards even other minorities. Not really a wonderful argument in support of dumb bigotry not being mostly behind this result.

It is remarkable is how many Leave politicians are proposing that the UK is now in a position to negotiate some awesome new deal that will let them keep the benefits of membership with far fewer restrictions. Seems to me the EU can just watch them bleed until they come crawling back to the table for a EEA/EFTA deal that changes little beyond stripping the UK of its direct influence over EU policy.

no one is going to start taking French lessons now. That train has long passed, English is here to stay as the international language (of the entire world). They're just trolling

Eyup. Besides it seems more plausible to me that MEPs and such, at least from the ex-Eastern bloc, would switch to German rather than to French. French isn't Chinese but it is considered relatively zany, PLUS French intentionally decided to replace some of English copypasting with neologisms that don't really make much more sense, but this on the other hand screws with every user of languages that did copypaste English in larger scale.

If you think otherwise, sure, I have no proof here, it's just general feeling. There's relatively little anti-French sentiment while some people still keep WW2 in mind, so I guess there's that. And obviously things are perhaps different for other Romance language users (but weren't they already?).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
We going for the all out pity gamble . Everyone political party is in fighting so badly . The EU will have to mediate it and negotiate some crazy we are out of Europe but actually in it but not in it but we are, kind of deal where people can move and trade freely but they can and can't and can

My only hope is that there is so much multinational and EU based companies in the UK and the EU having loads of uk companies with so many trade links , that to either stop trading or take them out is like a messy tangled knot and to remove them only makes it tighter . So out of frustration the EU forces a free trade free movement and labour EEA deal to keep the whole mess together less it all falls about and carries on going through Europe and beyond .

Ahaha, sounds like you believe the same things the Greeks believed in when they voted against the EU. The EU can't and won't give England anything that resembles the current status quo in terms of trading for one simple reason: Everybody else would just start to think about getting out because you save the money and keep the advantages. The best case scenario England can hope for is they pay 6 billion euro a year for that privilege. That would be what they are actually paying now considering what they get in return. If Greece is any indication how the EU acts England will be worse off than they thought they are now. Enterprises can move, the financial sector will most definitely move from London to Frankfurt. And England's exit is not just a problem for the EU. The smaller countries see it as a chance because they can offer their products when the ones from the UK become too expensive because of taxes and tolls. The EU doesn't need UK, UK needs the EU.

Everyday I'm getting more and more scared about what's happening to this country. This vote has galvanised the far-right and I'm fucking terrified about what's going to happen.

ColdRose

Yv7tD77.gif

This is the perfect reaction to the Jeremy Hunt news. Thank you.

If we imagine that Parliament are playing thr long game and letting short term finances take a beating so they can make a case for never invoking Article 50 due to the threat to our economy...

What if when the history books are written it turns out Osborne is the one who "saved" us from ourselves...

Also, i've woken from this horrible nightmare that tomorrow Cameron arrives in Brussels and Juncker says "Hey, David. Tough luck in the football last night. By the way, article50sayswhat" only for Cameron to reply and for Juncker to be all "Gotcha!".

I feel there will be the pretense of a negotiation but with us being the EUs whipping boy for a decade or two as we are largely allowed to carry on as normal but losing things like our power of veto.

Need sleep

Raven117

England,
You know what to do.
Yes, I'm joking around, I am not advocating any type of terrorism domestically or abroad

Edit: to big of picture.

This story...wow...Ive said it before and will say it again. Is fascinating. Stay safe over there U.K. Gaf....this is going to get rough by the end of it.

Breakage

Why would the EU even entertain the idea of giving the UK a special deal? It's in the EU's interest to make things as difficult and unfavourable (for the UK) as possible in order to discourage other members from leaving.

Meadows

Banned
Welsh independence, come the fuck on. There's anywhere from 90-97% opposition of Welsh independence AND it voted to Leave the EU.

Fuck off Leanne, can't believe I ever voted PC, what a fucking joke.

Mrbob

Not sure if this has been posted, but now Leanne Wood wants to raise the subject of possible Welsh independence

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...-put-welsh-independence-on-agenda-leanne-wood

"We screwed up voting to leave, please let us disband from the UK so we can get back into the EU." Unbelievable.

Buyer's remorse after 16 million votes tank the world economy. At least areas out of the UK will recover, pretty sure it is going to take a long time for the UK to recover. Feel bad about the the financial impact of 401Ks being ruined but this seems to be a case of cutting the nose to spite face.

Unconfirmed Member
Asians can be pretty racist/intolerant towards even other minorities. Not really a wonderful argument in support of dumb bigotry not being mostly behind this result.
Or maybe Asians are unhappy at the discrimination at non-EU migrants face. For example in the restaurant industry there is currently a shortage of Bangladeshi chefs, as children of Bnagladeshi immigrants have gone into other professions, but as non-EU migrants they have little chance of arriving into this country being able to fill the skills shortage.

But no it's because Asians are racist and how dare they decide not to act like a dependable voting bloc for the left.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
"We screwed up voting to leave, please let us disband from the UK so we can get back into the EU." Unbelievable.

I wonder if that could be the thing. We voted to have an Independent United Kingdom, but its increasingly apparent that Scotland, Ireland and Wales will still remain Europe. Therefore, the original terms of the referendum no longet hold.

As a Brit, I'm so happy England got knocked out the Euros (again). England deserves all the humiliation.

...Now I know how it feels like to be an American embarrassed by your nation.

s_mirage

Or maybe Asians are unhappy at the discrimination at non-EU migrants face. For example in the restaurant industry there is currently a shortage of Bangladeshi chefs, as children of Bnagladeshi immigrants have gone into other professions, but as non-EU migrants they have little chance of arriving into this country being able to fill the skills shortage.

But no it's because Asians are racist and how dare they decide not to act like a dependable voting bloc for the left.

This point particularly bugs me: you don't need to be Bangladeshi or Indian to be a curry chef. People can be trained, only the restaurateurs don't want to do that, they want to bring in labour willing to work for lower wages than a trained chef would typically accept.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Why would the EU even entertain the idea of giving the UK a special deal? It's in the EU's interest to make things as difficult and unfavourable (for the UK) as possible in order to discourage other members from leaving.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if they made it cost exactly the same as what we paid now, just to underline how pointless everything was.

The good thing about this fiasco is that at least it demonstrates to the rest of the world how bad extreme right-wing economic policy is.

Unfortunately, no one will listen

BKK

Good for them, but if racists are exposed as they have been emboldened and have been doing more demonstrations, then we as a society need to act. Do what Newcastle did, outnumber them during their little demos and protest directly against them. Use the fact they're being exposed as a potential to do some good and show them that a leave vote DOES NOT mean the country in any way shape or form agrees with them or even fucking tolerates them.

Its no good saying not to turn this into a race issue, its been done by EDL, UKIP and Britain First and now is not the time to be washing our hands of it.

Honestly, there's always been a far right racist percentage in the UK, just look at the BNP. I don't think that they ever got even anywhere near to 5% in a national election. It's far less than mainland Europe. It's obviously higher in some areas than others, and I feel sorry for those that live in such areas. But really, the vast majority of people aren't like that, at least not where I live.

And no, it really isn't a race issue, if you try to run it into one then you're falling into those racists groups hands. Groups that have a tiny support, but a big voice. Every time you counter-protest them, you give them a platform, you make it an issue. Trump and Farage have used this to gain huge publicity for free.

It's like the recent graffiti attack on a Polish community centre in London. Absolutely disgusting, but the nationwide media has given a voice to one mindless idiot. One individual has managed to scare a whole population of millions. Just the other day I had to convince my local Hungarian barmaid that she wouldn't get deported. It's silly season!

Best

Just backing down should be sufficient for the EU. They know they've got us by the balls and will never have to offer another concession again.

lol, didn't Wales vote to Leave?

Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan (i.e. the cosmopolitan, multicultural bits) voted to stay.

The rest of Wales which consists of a few mountains, some sheep, and a load of insular communities up the valleys (who benefit from a shit ton of EU funding) voted to lead.

I'm glad to say I'm from Cardiff.

xptoxyz

Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan (i.e. the cosmopolitan, multicultural bits) voted to stay.

The rest of Wales which consists of a few mountains, some sheep, and a load of insular communities up the valleys (who benefit from a shit ton of EU funding) voted to lead.

I'm glad to say I'm from Cardiff.

I thought there were 5 councils for remain.

Nafai1123

Banned
Here's what leave voters can look forward to if they get a Norway deal:

Despite, some greater flexibility over agriculture, fisheries and external trade, if the UK were to opt for a Norwegian-style relationship it would still be bound by great swathes of the EU regulation that rankles with businesses and the general public, but – and this is the crucial point – without any vote on it. We noted in our Brexit study that if the UK were to ‘become like Norway’ by joining EEA, 93 out of the 100 costliest EU-derived regulations would remain in place at a cost of £31.4bn per year (94.3% of the total cost). This is because many EU policy areas would continue to apply to the UK including financial services, social and employments laws, energy and climate change policies, and this is where the bulk of the regulatory cost stems from.

While the EEA Agreement includes provisions for the non-EU members to be consulted on new legislation, the EEA states have:
•No veto in the European Council
•No votes in the Council of Ministers – where national governments vote on EU legislation
•No MEPs or votes in the European Parliament
•No European Commissioner and no European Commission staff
•No judges or staff at the European Court of Justice (ECJ)

Despite lacking voting rights and full participation in the EU institutions, Norway must still make a sizeable contribution to the EU budget. Looking at its recent contributions, Norway pays €656m to the EU but gets back around €100m in science and research grants, which makes a per capita net contribution of €107.4. In contrast, Britain’s net contribution of around €9bn works out as €139 per capita.

As a member of the EEA, Norway must apply the same free movement rules as EU member states, but has no vote on the rules. In Norway’s experience this actually results in far higher inward EU migration than the UK, when measured as a percentage of the countries’ total populations.

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/what-would-a-norway-style-relationship-with-the-eu-entail/

Buyer's remorse after 16 million votes tank the world economy. At least areas out of the UK will recover, pretty sure it is going to take a long time for the UK to recover. Feel bad about the the financial impact of 401Ks being ruined but this seems to be a case of cutting the nose to spite face.

With all due respect, Cardiff -the Welsh capital- voted to remain and they are often seen as one of the Union-friendly Welsh areas.

Walshicus

Honestly, there's always been a far right racist percentage in the UK, just look at the BNP. I don't think that they ever got even anywhere near to 5% in a national election. It's far less than mainland Europe. It's obviously higher in some areas than others, and I feel sorry for those that live in such areas. But really, the vast majority of people aren't like that, at least not where I live.

And no, it really isn't a race issue, if you try to run it into one then you're falling into those racists groups hands. Groups that have a tiny support, but a big voice. Every time you counter-protest them, you give them a platform, you make it an issue. Trump and Farage have used this to gain huge publicity for free.

It's like the recent graffiti attack on a Polish community centre in London. Absolutely disgusting, but the nationwide media has given a voice to one mindless idiot. One individual has managed to scare a whole population of millions. Just the other day I had to convince my local Hungarian barmaid that she wouldn't get deported. It's silly season!

I think with racism in this country... we just have to accept that there are a hell of a lot more of them than we'd like to admit. Maybe they're not raging neo-nazis, but we can't excuse the latent racism many of our grandparents and even parents still exhibit just because they're family.

There are *millions* of racists in England. Let's not delude ourselves otherwise.

Tethur

Well a strong UK economy trading with Europe and smooth transition is good for Europe. And in tpreturn we get no voting rights? Considering how much of a thorn we have been in the sides of Germany and France, I'd give us that deal. They'd be free to carry on without having to listen to us complaining and we'd have no threat of veto etc.

No more complaints?
Have some heart for us Europeans, for the rest of our lives we'll have to endure some version of "We dodged a bullet there" from a Brit on the Internet whenever the EU does some realpolitiking /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom