• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
So my 8 year old just asked what all this means on the TV.

I said basically it's like you are in a class with 27 other people, we've decided we want to go into our own class, his response; who wants to be in a class on their own.

Heartbreaking that we've fucked future generations.

damn..

Kornoponing

Neo Member
wilders.jpg

And now we have this guy trying to swing a referendum in the Netherlands... Whats with all them blonde guys acting like this...

Well, we will definitely be signing deals with the EU...but now...we can ALSO sign deals with India, Canada, Australia...etc.
Good luck with that. How much of your exports when to the EU again? Oh, right.

https://petities.nl/system/uploads/4463/original/wilders.jpg?1446497177

And now we have this guy trying to swing a referendum in the Netherlands... Whats with all them blonde guys acting like this...
This is going to be a terrible time. If Netherlands leaves, our economy (I'm Dutch) will seriously tank. We are exporting so much stuff through our ports to Germany, it will kill the economy for years upon years. We shouldn't even vote, I don't trust the public to make an informed decision about this.

commedieu

Banned
Cool, the UK is still one of the top ten manufacturing countries in the world. Cheap currency means a flood of exports.

Also means you're going to kill yourself working a job for less wages and less buying power.

Did none of you think about this? Did you all imagine you'd be riding in a better quality of life or something?

This. The reactionary venting in this thread is a little too much.

But don't you read?
The recession started 10 minutes ago
Thousands are losing their job this morning.
The banks are all going under.
It's pointless to execute previous plans to study move or whatever in the UK.

Hystzen

The narrative that everyone who voted leave is racist or xenophobic needs stop before gets out of hand. I think my Facebook feed is more civil then some posts I seen on GAF and that is fucked up.

I wonder how many leave votes where just to put middle finger to Cameron and get him to resign. I voted remain but not going get pissy and insult sling and doom say

Because they refuse to see reason about how this impact the economy. They pretty much don't trust experts and politicians anymore and brush aside every argument made by them.

"In one day we set back our currency thirty years, but it's great because think of the bargains we're going to give everyone else now! It'll make us MORE money than we already have, all we had to do was cause another recession! But WE caused it, not some other group of people telling US what to do!"

Okay, I seriously need to go to bed and catch up tomorrow. Good luck UK, good luck. If I stay in this thread any longer I'll risk my account.

Alpende

This is history in the making. I don't know a lot about the consequences but I am very interested in seeing what this truly means.

GHG

Gold Member
Forecast ain't looking so hot.

Of course, but it's up to people to change it. All I'm seeing right now is this on the Internet.

Theres never been a single instance in my life when that kind of reaction has helped anything but yet it's happening.

No wonder England haven't won a World Cup for 60 years, we are clearly a nation of people who love to shit the bed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, we will definitely be signing deals with the EU...but now...we can ALSO sign deals with India, Canada, Australia...etc.

First we have to negotiate a favourable deal with Europe. We can only do deals with other countries if we have a good deal with Europe - while we are a large economy, we are much more attractive to do deals with if we can also provide access to the European market

And all this could take 10+ years.

Arksy

Also means you're going to kill yourself working a job for less wages and less buying power.

Did none of you think about this? Did you all imagine you'd be riding in a better quality of life or something?

Yes I did think about this. I thought about it long and hard. For balance though, my priorities were very different. For me, the biggest issue in this election was the issue with the lack of democracy within the EU.

antonz

The narrative that everyone who voted leave is racist or xenophobic needs stop before gets out of hand. I think my Facebook feed is more civil then some posts I seen on GAF and that is fucked up.

I wonder how many leave votes where just to put middle finger to Cameron and get him to resign. I voted remain but not going get pissy and insult sling and doom say

Lots of Trump voters say they aren't racist even when they spend half their days ranting about blacks and Mexicans.

The #1 Cause seen from exit polling for Leave. Was Immigrants.

When will there be another election in the UK?

I mean which fucking people are gonna be in charge of renegotiating all the new fucking trade and political treaties?? The Leavers? lol

convo

You seem to know something, but is it just you trying to divine something out of tea leaves or actual competent thinking? How can you tell this is the futute path of the country?

I'm off to sleep. I wonder how this'll affect south american markets, but I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

You don't have to wait a few years. You can see markets tanking right now.

If you don't like reactions, you don't even need to come into the thread. Bail like you always do.
This is literally a reactionary post. Of course the market was going to dive given a change almost half the country are uncertain about.

Of course, but it's up to people to change it. All I'm seeing right now is this on the Internet.

Theres never been a single instance in my life when that kind of reaction has helped anything but yet it's happening.

No wonder England haven't won a World Cup for 60 years, we are clearly a nation of people who love to shit the bed.

Yeah that vote to exit was a huge pile for sure. You're right.

Save wars started under false pretenses, the Brexit might well go down as one of the worst economic decisions in post WWII history. Absolutely shocking result. Completely ruined my day. The UK will feel the economic impact for decades to come. I cannot believe people voted "leave" because of immigration.

Window

I was talking about the reaction before the stock market opened not pinning a prediction: market made a bad bet, and is correcting.

But continue with the end of civilization narrative if it excites you. I worked through the Asian currency crisis and was at Lehman too (luckily not when it went under), this is just understandable volatility and Isn't the same scale. It's how things move long term that actually impact people and nobody knows how that will end up.

I'm not a professional in this field but whether this adjustment took place over several months or overnight (like it is now) the fact that it is adjusting to much lower levels surely must be of concern. It is indicative of low business confidence and lower investments to be made in the future (given current information and expectation of how things will pan out).

Betty

Banned

The hell do you expect? Almost half of us that voted didn't want or plan for this.

The opposition literally has no plan other than "stop letting in so many immigrants!"

Beyond that we know fuck all about how they plan to lead us forward and by the looks of things they themselves don't have a clue either.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What if france wants to leave the EU ?

They go then others go and we work out a new deal?

Or economic hardship all over Europe

Arksy

You seem to know something, but is it just you trying to divine something out of tea leaves or actual competent thinking? How can you tell this is the futute path of the country?

No I'm using common sense when I say that trade between EU and the UK will continue on in one way or another. I don't think that's bullshit. Has Mercedes come out and said they don't want to sell cars to the UK anymore?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Ok, so not everyone that voted leave is a racist. Some are idiots that are happy to throw the entire country into turmoil for the sake of a protest vote

Also some are swayed by continued newspaper headlines about loss of sovreignty and bendy bananas even though they're usually made up

Better?

Flintty

Apocalyptic. End of the UK? All voters against my point of view are idiots/dumb/racist/xenophobic? (The list goes on).

GAF gon' GAF.

Time for me to step away for a bit, you're all making me feel a bit ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom