• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striek

do you understand the concept of a dead cat bounce

Too early. Also, the underlying fundamentals haven't changed much. Doesn't apply.

Edit: But more broadly, I wasn't speaking about today or even this week. I mean in the next couple weeks when people realise, shockingly, the sky has fallen on no ones head.

owasog

Gambling the future of your entire country just "to put middle finger to Cameron" would be the most dangerously childish thing I've ever heard of.
That's what happens in referenda like this. The rabid negativity crowd shows up to vote but the indifferent stay home. And when you ask them why they voted this way they come up with all sorts of nonsense arguments.

deefol

Because now we can actually sign deals with other countries...

That's not how deals work, you have to have leverage and with everything going to shit and all the biggest money makers leaving, there will be no leverage.

Therefore we can't sign good deals with other countries, at least for now

Pointing out untruths is OK. Insulting people because of their choice of vote is just wrong.

Thanks. You too!

We shall see. Yeah things are changing but we'll all still be living and breathing. It's not as bad as GAF makes it out to be - people are just being drama queens.
Literally every measure that could suggest that this has gone horribly wrong has happened.

Arnie7

Banned
Just woke up to the news. How surreal.

7g5F7q4.jpg

antonz

100% leave voters are morons
100% remain voters are intelligent and informed

Got it

The Leave Campaign has already openly stated they lied about 2 of their major reasons for leaving the EU.

So doesn't speak well for the people who fell for the lies

SomTervo

I felt sick when I got up this morning. I just feel completely numb now. Never thought I would be pissed to see Cameron go but him abandoning ship like this is unforgivable. We are probably going to have Boris in charge by the end of the year. My wifes employer is 50% funded by the EU so she is probably going to lose her job. What a fucking time to be alive.

Me and my girlfriend both felt exactly the same.

Jindrax

Where has that Remain tolerance that you guys supposedly espoused gone?

I'm not Brittish. Looking on your situation as an outsider makes the half of your country look incredible dumb.

Christ even having trump as president is less bad than this. His power is severely limited, if he has congress against him he's done. And he can be be impeached the first moment he makes ( and he will ) a critical mistake.

The choice half of your nation made on the other hand...

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Good heavens. What a terrible shame, terrible.

I was considering moving to the UK at some point in the not-too-far future but that takes it off the table. I suppose Ireland will do.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Has there been a worse time in the last sixty years to be a person under the age of 25 than right now? A decade of Tory governance and a vote to leave the EU is wrecking their futures.

What if france wants to leave the EU ?

They go then others go and we work out a new deal?

Or economic hardship all over Europe

I don't think France would have it easy to leave, since they have the Euro. That makes their economy and agreements much further entrenched with the EU than the UK ever was.
So it's extremely difficult to say what would happen if a Euro country would leave, since the UK always has been the odd one out with all those special regulations and exceptions and whatnot.

OléGunner;208202283 said:
France, Netherlands and Italy up next mark my words.
This has set the precedent for others to get out of the EU.

Interesting times ahead.

Don't forget Austria.

LilJoka

I bought a house last week, 2 bed 75sqm in Slough 360k new build.

I lose 500£ to back out.
What should I do?!

A recession will surely put me into negative equity. :(
It's my first house.

Lagamorph

I really hope the talk of a free movement zone between UK/Canada/Australia/New Zealand starts to become reality now at least. It could at least help to take the edge off of all this.

Peru

Young voters overwhelmingly voted to stay, but are fucked by old geezers on their way 'out' anyway. That's the most shocking story in this, to me.

nOoblet16

Freaking balls out right now, French wife.

Maybe she wants to leave Uk . At moment doesn't feel welcome here.
.have a son from another relationship lives in uk

What do I do?

Had hardly any sleep.
Won't affect your life or hers, she is married to you she can stay and even become British. Your son from other relationship is British because of you.

Betty

Banned
What because the alternative had a clue what they were doing as well?

Cameron had a clue when he allowed this vote to happen?

The reality is, nobody has a fucking clue what they are doing. Everyone is winging it.

The EU will treat us like shit and won't give us good deals because if they do it'll be an incentive for other EU states to leave.

For the next few years, no matter what we do, our future is going to be a giant gamble. We could be the most industrious nation ever but if everyone can buy from EU states cheaper and trade easier, I can't see many companies willing to take the risk to remain in the UK.

This was a ridiculously bad idea.

I'm now all for an Independent Scotland vote when I wasn't before and I can say with confidence that Scotland will likely leave the UK.

The United Kingdom has a very, very, very good chance to be dissolved in the coming years and at no point would I say that was the right course.

fanboi

Banned
OléGunner;208202283 said:
France, Netherlands and Italy up next mark my words.
This has set the precedent for others to get out of the EU.

Interesting times ahead.

I Believe how EU will handle the negotiations with the UK that determine the outcome of it all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow this Bank of England guy doesn't sound British, sounds American.
He's Canadian. He was the BoC chief before going to BoE.

Sad? This fucker gambled with the future of his country and the EU to Garner some domestic political currency.

The UK leaving will be his Legacy, and I couldn't be happier that this clot will be remembered as the short sighted irresponsible man he is.

As for the future, the EU will bounce back and finally have enough people willing to Reform it in order to make it leaner and more efficient. Without a country that always wanted to play it's own tune the European Idea can finally grow further.

The scots will be interesting to watch now.
Oh I know, but imagine the feeling of being remembered as the worst PM in the history of modern Britain. He's now worse than Tony Blair. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom