• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
All radio interviews this morning were desperate for Cameron to stay on. Looking back with the benefit of hindsight now, this just stinks of a practical joke by Boris Johnson on David Cameron. He's over promised, leveraged inaccurate statistics and whipped up the anti-immigrant feeling amongst British people.

And he wanted to hand it over to Cameron to deal with the fallout. I think Cameron has done the right thing having no part of this. On Cameron, I'm not a Tory, and disagreed with the severity of some of those policies he enforced, but in retrospect I think he delivered a lot of stability to the country.

Going forward, we're going to have ministers who loathe Europe doing the negotiations. This is just worst case scenario for us. Especially with noise now coming from Ireland and Scotland.

Just really sad. Someone posted a picture in the last thread satirising the Leave Party which was the below, and I think it's the most accurate picture right now.

200_s.gif

FStop7

Banned
This is the monkey's paw ending for the Cleveland Cavaliers. They finally win a title but the world ends less than a week later. :D

Atrophis

I felt sick when I got up this morning. I just feel completely numb now. Never thought I would be pissed to see Cameron go but him abandoning ship like this is unforgivable. We are probably going to have Boris in charge by the end of the year. My wifes employer is 50% funded by the EU so she is probably going to lose her job. What a fucking time to be alive.

CTLance

Holy crap.

Well, this is democracy, even with the rather slim difference of around 2%, it's still the choice the majority of the British wanted. Personally, it is not how I would have voted, and not what I'd have preferred, but Godspeed to you soon-to-be-former fellow Europeans. Hope you guys can make the best of it, and I seriously hope this doesn't end in tears for all of us, one way or another.

convo

Save wars started under false pretenses, the Brexit might well go down as one of the worst economic decisions in post WWII history. Absolutely shocking result. Completely ruined my day. The UK will feel the economic impact for decades to come. I cannot believe people voted "leave" because of immigration.

The rest who didn't vote fell for believing in human decency being abundant in their country. Now it's all question marks and exclamation points.

Apocalyptic. End of the UK? All voters against my point of view are idiots/dumb/racist/xenophobic? (The list goes on).

GAF gon' GAF.

Time for me to step away for a bit, you're all making me feel a bit ill.
I mean if you consider the UK to be more than England and Wales it's pretty clearly the end.

Uzzy

When will there be another election in the UK?

I mean which fucking people are gonna be in charge of renegotiating all the new fucking trade and political treaties?? The Leavers? lol

I'd hope that the renegotiation team would be cross party and take in as many viewpoints as possible.

Apocalyptic. End of the UK? All voters against my point of view are idiots/dumb/racist/xenophobic? (The list goes on).

GAF gon' GAF.

Yeah there's idiocy on the anti-Leave side, but there's also discussion and simple pointing out of blatant untruths.

daninthemix

I do agree that this was, in large part, an exertion of power by an electorate who are unhappy with the status quo. Even though the repercussions can't be fully understood now, having things stay the same was not an attractive enough option.

France, Netherlands and Italy up next mark my words.
This has set the precedent for others to get out of the EU.

Interesting times ahead.

Striek

So with a limited sell-off already hitting depth, and an inevitable rebound, my question is when will the fearmongering about the "economy" end, and will people admit they doomsday posts and namecalling were unwarranted?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I don't see the Euro countries waiting months to see who is the next PM, and on top of that waiting to see how long it will be until they invoke Article 50.

They're gonna force the UK into invoking it sooner rather than later if they want to keep other countries from following the same route.

No possible. It is not their call.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Freaking balls out right now, French wife.

Maybe she wants to leave Uk . At moment doesn't feel welcome here.
.have a son from another relationship lives in uk

What do I do?

Had hardly any sleep.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The point of the 'economic impact' isn't that the economy will never stabilise, rather, that when it does it will be at a level lower than it would have been were we still part of the EU. It's the same deal with austerity. The anti-austerity argument was never that austerity would plunge the UK back into a growthless eternity from which the economy would never recover, but rather, that the economy is lagging a long way behind where it would have been if austerity hadn't happened.

Unfortunately, this is a smidgen too complicated to be translated into a red top headline so it will be ignored.

This is literally a reactionary post. Of course the market was going to dive given a change almost half the country are uncertain about.

Why yes. The leavers are uncertain because they went against every experts opinion on the subject, hoping this means something good for the UK. Remainers know this isn't going to play out nicely, and it'll thrust the world into an economic recession.

AmyS

Important UK dude Adam Marshall (Chamber of Commerce) on CNN mentioned uncertainty about investments in things like broadband.

No digital-only game future in the UK amirite?

SMG

OléGunner;208202283 said:

Interesting times ahead.
We will be a burning wreck of an example of why you should stay in.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Interesting times ahead.

Does this lead to war ?

Or another EU but version 2

I'm in freakout mode

Remember in Quantum of Solace when the bad guy insisted on being paid in Euros because "The US dollar is not what it once was"?

That's just funny now.

GHG

Gold Member
The hell do you expect? Almost half of us that voted didn't want or plan for this.

The opposition literally has no plan other than "stop letting in so many immigrants!"

Beyond that we know fuck all about how they plan to lead us forward and by the looks of things they themselves don't have a clue either.

What because the alternative had a clue what they were doing as well?

Cameron had a clue when he allowed this vote to happen?

The reality is, nobody has a fucking clue what they are doing. Everyone is winging it.

commedieu

Banned
Yes I did think about this. I thought about it long and hard. For balance though, my priorities were very different. For me, the biggest issue in this election was the issue with the lack of democracy within the EU.

Seems to me there is no lack of democracy. You all just voted to jump into smoldering chip fat without any opposition, and a bunch of lies from farage.

Again..

Happy independence day! Enjoy the low wage democratic work. Hopefully people will do them now instead of the immigrants.

GAF gon' GAF.

Again, your attitude is not helping. Not implying that everybody here is acting like a saint (far from it), but your way of reacting to it is not the best either.

I'm not a professional in this field but whether this adjustment took place over several months or overnight (like it is now) the fact that it is adjusting to much lower levels surely must be of concern. It is indicative of low business confidence and lower investments to be made in the future (given current information and expectation of how things will pan out).

If the adjustment is 10% down then slow growth again it isn't a big deal. That's why nothing substantial can be determined from sudden moves.
It all depends on the good old economy: boring things like employment gdp inflation rates interest rates stuff we won't know for at least 2 quarters and probably more. Those are the stats that impact lives, not someone's Etrade portfolio loss on the day.

daveo42

Banned
100% leave voters are morons
100% remain voters are intelligent and informed

Got it

Well...when the Leave campaign straight up lied to voters related to the benefits of leaving and many bought into it, then you get closer to that number on both sides. I'd also say most leave voters are ignorant on the issues.

Arksy

Freaking balls out right now, French wife.

Maybe she wants to leave Uk . At moment doesn't feel welcome here.
.have a son from another relationship lives in uk

What do I do?

Had hardly any sleep.

Step one: Calm down.

Step two: Calm down, seriously.

No one is suggesting anyone be deported yet, and I doubt it will happen.

Secondly, you're a UK citizen. WORST CASE SCENARIO, you will be able to apply for a spousal visa and your wife will be able to stay in the UK.

Interesting times ahead.
If that happens, the EU is done. Certainly France leaving will be the death of it.

Get yours stuff together politicians. Fix your local problems and don't blame the EU for everything. I fully believe the UK voted out because of reasons unrelated to the EU.

Flintty

Yeah there's idiocy on the anti-Leave side, but there's also discussion and simple pointing out of blatant untruths.

Pointing out untruths is OK. Insulting people because of their choice of vote is just wrong.

ur so edgy and kewl !

Thanks. You too!

I mean if you consider the UK to be more than England and Wales it's pretty clearly the end.

We shall see. Yeah things are changing but we'll all still be living and breathing. It's not as bad as GAF makes it out to be - people are just being drama queens.

Again, your attitude is not helping. Not implying that everybody here is acting like a saint (far from it), but your way of reacting to it is not the best either.

Calling people out for slaughtering people because of their vote is a bad attitude? I'll shut up then and leave you all to it.

There's a small part of me that feels sad for Cameron, because he'll be known as the guy who destroyed the UK. But then there's another part of me that just wants to dance on his political grave.
Sad? This fucker gambled with the future of his country and the EU to Garner some domestic political currency.

The UK leaving will be his Legacy, and I couldn't be happier that this clot will be remembered as the short sighted irresponsible man he is.

As for the future, the EU will bounce back and finally have enough people willing to Reform it in order to make it leaner and more efficient. Without a country that always wanted to play it's own tune the European Idea can finally grow further.

The scots will be interesting to watch now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom