• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
"I think this is one of the most nonsensical arguments," George Osborne says, when it's suggested there's no plan in government for the Brexit.

He says ministers and the Bank of England have spent a long time working on contingency plans.

But he says "it was not the responsibility of those who wanted to remain in the EU to have a plan for what to do if we quit the EU".

Mr Osborne says the country collectively "has to determine which model we are seeking" when it comes to a relationship with the rest of the EU.

And he says that will be a crucial factor in the Conservative Party leadership race.

I don't understand this sentiment. It was Cameron who proposed the referendum in the first place and even if he wasn't, the government has to have a plan no matter the personal pferences.

Alx

All part of the plan. Like I said, I know I'm in denial mode but can't help it. What the government (and Germany) are doing right now is precisely what you would do if you didn't want to activate article 50 and didn't want to leave the EU. Inflict as much economic pain as possible in the short term in order to avoid the long term catastrophe.

That would be another big gamble. It might be worth the risk though, but still could go one way or another.
Once things finally settle, please Brits, tell your politicians to stop playing with fire.

deefol

Dammit, we're just delaying the shoe eating here!

What most people don't seem to grasp is that the markets would keep fluctuating because it is extremely volatile due to the political circumstances.

There is no point celebrating or berating every single market movement when it is being operated on underlying uncertainty.

Like I said turkeys voting for Christmas, just a pity the others get dragged along.

And twice at that. First, they give these fuckers an absolute majority in the general election and then they vote leave in the referendum in order to spite the *very same people they fucking re-elected a year ago*!!! This is fucked up on so many levels I don't even know where to start. It's been more than half a week now and it still makes my blood boil.

Hasney

What most people don't seem to grasp is that the markets would keep fluctuating because it is extremely volatile due to the political circumstances.

There is no point celebrating or berating every single market movement when it is being operated on underlying uncertainty.

I know that, it's forecast to creep down to £1.2-1.3 to the $ before totally stabilising, so if someone can actually put some confidence back anywhere (unlikely), then we might stay around this high end we have right now.

I just enjoy the thought of someone having to eat their shoe, even though they won't :p

What else do we have at this stage? ;p

Cheering for those plucky underdogs Iceland in the Euros?

Maledict

I honestly think the market is starting to price in Britain not leaving the EU and not triggering article 50. The city will be doing whatever it can behind the scenes to stop this, and the city pays the Tory part pay cheque.

I honestly think the market is starting to price in Britain not leaving the EU and not triggering article 50. The city will be doing whatever it can behind the scenes to stop this, and the city pays the Tory part pay cheque.

Would the city for the most part mind moving to Paris and Frankfurt?

liquidtmd

Banned
Mr Osborne says the country collectively "has to determine which model we are seeking" when it comes to a relationship with the rest of the EU.

Translation: Country goes to second Referendum in two months when things have gone to shit, asking "Do you want to Leave on these shit terms or REMAIN"

Translation: Country goes to second Referendum in two months when things have gone to shit, asking "Do you want to Leave on these shit terms or REMAIN"

Lol be it a referendum or General Election I think this will pretty much be it. The question...or info has to be more complicated (clearly communicated in idiot speak but it can't be a binary YES/NO)...ah well.

E-phonk

Banned

afaik the city is exempt of a lot of tax regulations within the EU. Moving would mean adjusting to the normal regulations.

For those in our society who believe banks/investors/traders should be regulated more, be less risk heavy and capital should be taxed equally with other ways of capital gains that's actually a good thing, but I can of course understand why london wants to keep the status quo.

Chinner

Banned

Just took 93yr Mum to vote, she's registered blind. In a very loud voice she said, "Which box to get immigrants out?"

Feorax

Even if by some miracle we do end up staying in, there's no chance we have it as good as we did before. We've pissed off too many people for that to happen.

Lots of people are also nervous about globalization, which I think is one of the many reasons some people voted Leave. They don't like the idea of decisions being made so far away from the local community. Add in cultural differences between nations and it becomes an issue for people when they feel that for example unelected officials of the EU in Brussels is making decisions that affect them in a small town in NE England. That sort of thing scares people.

You see it all the time here in the US regarding federalism (essentially the fight between what powers the federal government should have and what powers are reserved for the states).

I'm not speaking for my own personal beliefs by the way, but rather offering a perspective for one of the many reasons I think people made the decision to leave despite examples of globalization throughout the planet.

Oh, I agree entirely. The problem really boils down to understanding what sovereignty is. 'Take back control' is entirely the wrong message. In truth we have no more or less sovereignty post-Brexit as we did as part of the EU. The real discussion should be on devolution of powers. An all powerful central government is counter productive. Powers need to be devolved to the level were they make the best impact. That means some powers need to be devolved up and succeeded to US Federal/EU/UN levels, other powers need to be devolved down to Regional, County, Town, City levels.

That fact this conversation was entirely ignored by the remain camp is embarrassing.

Juicy Bob

I confronted a pensioner in the street yesterday. I asked him to explain Brexit. "Nothing to do with me, I voted Remain." A mealy mouthed reply.

Morning BritGAF, where's the postivity-o-meter this morning?, still in the red? or.......

Defcon 5. Forget red - we're off the chart, deep black, claxons sounding - 'abandon ship, abandon ship'.

I don't see that changing much until Friday, once we know who the leadership contenders are. Even then, dropping back to Defcon 4 might take some time...

avaya

I like my models and bottles in Chelsea.

In all seriousness no we don't want to move from London but the choice will be made for us if no passport is allowed. Simple.

Pressure on government is huge.

PJV3

I have to agree with Osborne, they stated clearly there wasn't an exit plan. Nobody listens anymore because we've gone full Chemtrails in this country.

I have to agree with Osborne, they stated clearly there wasn't an exit plan. Nobody listens anymore because we've gone full Chemtrails in this country.

There was definitely "I fucking told you so" about Osborne today, quite right too, you were all warned so you cannot all start moaning about the harm caused, well except the 16m who didn't want to damage the country.

Crumpo

Twist: We've shat on ourselves to make 'ourselves' our own underdog that now faces an uphill struggle to have it anywhere near as good as we had it four days ago

I keep using the phrase from the film Four Lions - "we've bombed the mosque"

For those who don't know, that's a metaphor for hitting yourself in the face when you're in a fight so that you get so angry you win.

Writing it aloud, it's not even close to the stupidest thing that's been said in the last few days...

Tak3n

Banned
if Philip Hammond gets in we will be staying in the EU, as what possible incentive is there to actually get a good exit deal...

Secretly they will be wanting the EU to screw us to the floor for the second referendum.... of course the danger is if leave won again we would be on a shitty deal plus out of the EU

Moosichu

Possibly, I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree for now and see what happens. Still, China doesn't have to follow the procedures and rule of law that most other countries do, if they want something to happen, it happens. Same as Philippines, to an extent (thanks to corruption, but that can go both ways). I'll give you India though, getting something done there can take forever.

That's disingenuous. That wasn't a forecast by me, it was simply stating that if X happens, Y should happen.

I'm sure you know more about tech than the tech industry itself which overwhelmingly wanted to stay in the EU. Tech startup investment has already practically dried up. But I'm sure that's just part of project fear!

if Philip Hammond gets in we will be staying in the EU, as what possible incentive is there to actually get a good exit deal...

Secretly they will be wanting the EU to screw us to the floor for the second referendum.... of course the danger is if leave won again we would be on a shitty deal plus out of the EU

Maybe MI5 need to get their act together for the second referendum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom