• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Oh

my Dozens of us Gif is getting closer

Now Me, Boris, That MEP (forgot his name) and now Hunt beleive we can restrict freedon of movement whilst being in the single market!

there are now 4 of us!

Amazing how you cannot see this as a way to placate the base before a leadership contest.

HAHAHA! For those who missed it, Farage was the only guy in the crowd who applauded when the speaker said "British democracy has to be respected". The speaker turned to him and said "That is the last time you applaud in this room. Why are you even here? You led the campaign to Leave, you got your vote, what are you even doing here!?" To incredible applause.

Burnt.....

Cromwell

Banned
Hmm guess I'll have to wait for the Parliament archive to see that.

Speaker Bercow is a god assuming that's who delivered the burn.

HAHAHA! For those who missed it, Farage was the only guy in the crowd who applauded when the speaker said "British democracy has to be respected". The speaker turned to him and said "That is the last time you applaud in this room. Why are you even here? You led the campaign to Leave, you got your vote, what are you even doing here!?" To incredible applause.

You sure? I think that's farage sitting to the right of the speaker, and the speaker doesn't seem to be addressing him, but rather someone further away.

And that will probably continue for a while as they won't feel anything to do with the markets right now. Then imports in shops, including foods, will go up and some people will feel it... Then the budget to balance this mess will really hurt. It'll be slower, but unfortunately, they're going to feel it.

I fear people expecting a grand /facepalm moment followed by a mea culpa are in for a long wait. The problem is, it's either

a) never MY fault, 'guv. I am a voter, but don't expect me to be responsible for anything
b) it'll still be the fault of the 'elites'
c) the EU is to blame somehow
d) a price worth paying
e) delayed reaction, events apportioned off into small chunks, each used and exploited for relevant political gain: the bigger historical threads are blurred and tangled as per politics

or all 5

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Merkel saying again no negotiations before art. 50

Makes sense, why waste time with negotiations before the Brits have even made up their mind? Could be a bunch of negotiations being made for nothing if they decide to stay in the end.

Zelias

Banned
Fucking brutal.

Get fucked Farage.

Tak3n

Banned
I thought last night it would be the only practical solution...not exactly "taking your country back", though, is it?

The reasons to leave unravel after more than five minutes' thought...

seeing how much they struggle to get laws through parliament in time as it is, let alone the thousands that now need re-doing...

as one lawyer put it, you can not have no laws in place as companies will abuse it in a heartbeat, so just carrying them over was/is the only way forward to start with

*Splinter

"That is the last time you applaud in this room. Why are you even here? You led the campaign to Leave, you got your vote, what are you even doing here!?"
Holy shit

Good to see UKIP still being openly mocked (they were on question time as well despite a split audience), I'm worried about how much support they will get next election.

You sure? I think that's farage sitting to the right of the speaker, and the speaker doesn't seem to be addressing him, but rather someone further away.

I assumed he was looking "over" him. You can see Farage getting animated and saying "quite right!" before the camera cuts back to the speaker and the single applause starts. Even if it was towards someone else, it was clearly aimed at someone leading the Leave campaign. He says as much.

Tak3n

Banned
Amazing how you cannot see this as a way to placate the base before a leadership contest.

Of course I can, I am not that stupid, we are now in a leadership election, so bullshit meters are in full mode again....

all the anger from the lies (from BOTH sides) have done nothing, and we will get a thousand fake promises from politicians to both leave and remain

Hasney

I fear people expecting a grand /facepalm moment followed by a mea culpa are in for a long wait. The problem is, it's either

a) never MY fault, 'guv. I am a voter, but don't expect me to be responsible for anything
b) it'll still be the fault of the 'elites'
c) the EU is to blame somehow
d) a price worth paying
e) delayed reaction, events apportioned off into small chunks, each used and exploited for relevant political gain: the bigger historical threads are blurred and tangled as per politics

or all 5

Oh no, I agree with that. I'm just saying the hurt will be felt, even if they don't blame the actual reason.

Xando

Merkel says no cherry picking this time.
There is a difference between being in the EU family or outside
UK will have to accept all 4 free movements if they want access to single market

Protome

Makes sense, why waste time with negotiations before the Brits have even made up their mind? Could be a bunch of negotiations being made for nothing if they decide to stay in the end.

It's more that the EU doesn't want to be used as an excuse. Having pre-article 50 negotiations then going "Oh man, the EU are really gonna fuck us if we leave. I guess we shouldn't" allows MPs to try and shift the blame to the EU if they decide to ignore the electorate and keep us in the EU.

Forcing the MPs to have to accept the choice and the blame themselves will only help further instability grow which scares the fuck out of anyone else who wants to leave the EU.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Merkel's speech mostly reiterates things she has already said, but she added that while relations with the UK will be kept close, they'll be at a disadvantage compared to member states and that it won't be able to cherry-pick privileges like getting access to the single market without adopting the four basic freedoms of the internal market. She also once again acknowledged that the UK is not ready to invoke article 50 due to its internal crisis, but insisted that there will be no negotiations without it and that they better get on with it, for their own good.

UK will have to accept all 4 free movements if they want access to single market

Exactly what every sane person was expecting. The only silver lining I'm taking from this mess is the thought of Leave voter's tears when they complain and make it abundantly clear that immigration really was the main reason they were voting out.

PJV3

Nah, I'm gonna listen to the clown who got sacked twice for lying.

*Splinter

Of course I can, I am not that stupid, we are now in a leadership election, so bullshit meters are in full mode again....

all the anger from the lies (from BOTH sides) have done nothing, and we will get a thousand fake promises from politicians to both leave and remain
You're really going to have to back up that "both sides" if you expect it to be taken seriously

Biggzy

Does anyone honestly think our government will be able to out negotiate Mrs Merkel?

Hasney

Boris Johnson is relying on the element of surprise. Merkel will never take him for a serious negotiator, untill it's too late! HAHA!

"You know Ms. Merkel, we've been carrying on with these negotiations for quite some time now and I can't help but think I'm losing... But how about some particularly dense and glutinous cake?"

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think it will be the Norway deal Merkel knows we don't want to really leave it was a huge fuck up . They will take some banks keep it functioning trade with us we can pursue others but we will never be allowed to influence them again. We will pay for privilege. EU citizens and Uk can move around . Special favour for Scotland and London.

Either way my future is not in this country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom