• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be a burning wreck of an example of why you should stay in.

Maybe..
But I still see other EU countries right wing political leaders whipping their own civilians into a frenzy and calling for referendums in the coming years..

The U.K. will not be the only country out the EU by 2020.

Does this lead to war ?

Or another EU but version 2

I'm in freakout mode

WW3 is definitely not happening thanks to this.
Shits just gonna get more expensive to buy firstly..

And no more easy quick holidays to Mallorca lol

Also means you're going to kill yourself working a job for less wages and less buying power.

Did none of you think about this? Did you all imagine you'd be riding in a better quality of life or something?

Literally everyone I spoke to about this voting leave were under the impression that both the EU and immigrants were costing us too much. The same people seem to be second guessing themselves too now.

daniels

So happy Nigel Farage was there to save us from the dangers of unelected officials.

Jean Claude Juncker EU commission president : "There can be no democratic choice against European treaties."
When you have idiots like that, spouting this nonsense it should not be surprising that people give him the finger.

He's right though.

I really wish we could avoid resorting to one-liners without any substance, for both groups.

Right now we're getting no discussion at all from the Leave party and its all just knee-jerk reaction from the large majority in this thread, which is a real shame.

Alx

OléGunner;208202283 said:
France, Netherlands and Italy up next mark my words.
This has set the precedent for others to get out of the EU.

Interesting times ahead.

France won't have a referendum on leaving EU, at least not for a long time. And most of the population is pro-European and pro-Euro anyway, even with the rise of the far right.

We won't need one anyway, we have presidential elections early 2017, and Europe will obviously be a big part of the discussion (especially after whatever happens to the UK).
Far right Marine Le Pen is (unfortunately) expected to get to second round (unless the state of UK really hurts her anti-EU program), but she's also expected to lose, because most of the country would still vote for anything but her party. So that would be a positive message towards EU. But if she were elected (god forbid), then she wouldn't even go through a referendum to leave EU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has there been a worse time in the last sixty years to be a person under the age of 25 than right now? A decade of Tory governance and a vote to leave the EU is wrecking their futures.

Ironically the people that mostly voted to leave, mostly voted to join back in 1975.

Hasney

Gambling the future of your entire country just "to put middle finger to Cameron" would be the most dangerously childish thing I've ever heard of.

Totally, yet the Labour Leave campaign was literally "wipe the smile off of Cameron and Osbourne". I'm a fan of Corbyn policy wise, but I've lost even more respect for that party.

Plum

Has there been a worse time in the sixty years to be a person under the age of 25 than right now? A decade of Tory governance and a vote to leave the EU is wrecking their futures.

I'm starting Uni in 2 months time.

Going to make every plan to get the fuck out of this shithole afterwards.

I just hope the scrap of paper I get afterwards is worth something.

azyless

Young voters overwhelmingly voted to stay, but are fucked by old geezers on their way 'out' anyway. That's the most shocking story in this, to me.
Has there been stats on turnout depending on age range? The young voters can overwhelmingly vote for whatever but if only 40% of them vote at all that's a different story.

Have to say I'm not disappointed by Cameron doing the expected thing. I compared him with Chamberlain for a reason (few hours ago in the other thread). At least he did throw myself on the grenade, and not for reasons you might expect. Politically, he was dead the moment 'exit' was called.

Meanwhile it's minus 10% in all European markets, though they seem to be stabilizing and the initial hitters seem to be exchanged for - don't you know it - banks with offices in The City. But in between typing this post they already seem to be recovering a bit.

The trick will now be to ride out the initial shock and then finding a way to avoid having to honor the outcome, because implementing it would be a disaster for everyone. That's the game now, and it's going to be interesting to see how it will be played out, but obviously the 'nah' side is now seeing the effects and will likely not recover from that. So turning this into a non-exit should be doable, politically speaking.

Crumpo

OléGunner;208202790 said:
Maybe..
But I still see other EU countries right wing political leaders whipping their own civilians into a frenzy and calling for referendums in the coming years..

WW2 is definitely not happening thanks to this.

Oh, and people will lose their jobs. Lol.

DJKhaled

Young voters overwhelmingly voted to stay, but are fucked by old geezers on their way 'out' anyway. That's the most shocking story in this, to me.

It's why there seriously needs to be a cut-off age of when you are too old to vote, these fucking old people have 10 years left to live but destroy young peoples lives because they are too selfish and ignorant to care.

Conan-san

Lack of respect for even discussing the Scottish independence question during the referendum campaign. Gave impetus to some people to vote leave if they thought it'd get them another shot at a Scottish referendum.

1) It was going to come up regardless so yeah (largely because "No" would never shut up about it but I digress)

2) She did say that if Scotland overwhelmingly voted for brexit that she wouldn't go forward with any plans of the sort, effectively telling anyone playing that game to knock it the fuck off.

MUnited83

For you.
100% leave voters are morons
100% remain voters are intelligent and informed

Got it

considering two of the major reasons for leaving were declared lies by the very same people that campaigned for leave the very moment leave won

yes, and dangerously high percentage of leave voters are morons and were played.

In Gibraltar 96% voted remain... interesting times ahead
Imagine a border going up there again. Or one between Ireland and Northern Ireland. And nobody in the Leave camp had a plan in case that happens.

WW3 is definitely not happening thanks to this.

No WW3, but Putin is laughing his ass off. Those sanctions are going to be removed if the economy is doing worse in the EU.

Wallach

The EU will treat us like shit and won't give us good deals because if they do it'll be an incentive for other EU states to leave.

For the next few years, no matter what we do, our future is going to be a giant gamble. We could be the most industrious nation ever but if everyone can buy from EU states cheaper and trade easier, I can't see many companies willing to take the risk to remain in the UK.

This was a ridiculously bad idea.

I'm now all for an Independent Scotland vote when I wasn't before and I can say with confidence that Scotland will likely leave the UK.

The United Kingdom has a very, very, very good chance to be dissolved in the coming years and at no point would I say that was the right course.

Pretty much. This going to simple majority referendum was a joke in the first place. Fuckery on all sides.

...and you wonder why there is an imminent danger that Trump may be the next president of the USA?

If the UK, whose average people are more educated and tolerant than the average american, voted to leave the EU in fear of immigrants, just imagine how easy will be for Trump to be elected president.

2016 truly is the "game over" year. =/

Xater

Well there it is I guess. I can't believe that leave and the UK is actually doing it. Then I saw these reason clouds and I am even more shocked. makes you look like a bunch of dumb scarred racists.

I've thought for a long time that the whole idea of holding a referendum on a radical change that the incumbent PM is opposed to is nonsense.

A change like this should be endorsed as part of a broad platform for what a post EU future should look like, instead we just have uncertainty piled on uncertainty.

Kornoponing

Neo Member
Maybe..

That was one of the first reactions in the Netherland

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have to say I'm not disappointed by Cameron doing the expected thing. I compared him with Chamberlain for a reason. At least he did throw myself on the grenade, and not for reasons you might expect. Politically, he was dead the moment 'exit' was called.

Meanwhile it's minus 10% in all European markets, though they seem to be stabilizing and the initial hitters seem to be exchanged for - don't you know it - banks with offices in The City. But in between typing this post they already seem to be recovering a bit.

The trick will now be to ride out the initial shock and then finding a way to avoid having to honor the outcome, because implementing it would be a disaster for everyone. That's the game now, and it's going to be interesting to see how it will be played out, but obviously the 'nah' side is now seeing the effects and will likely not recover from that. So turning this into a non-exit should be doable, politically speaking.

Norway-like agreement seems like the obvious route to take, and probably one of the only options the EU would allow. Keeping free market access is the most critical thing to ensure continuity of business and inward investment. The trade off is that we would need to agree to free movement of population so little net change from now (except less influence), but I don't see any other alternative.

mid83

It's why there seriously needs to be a cut-off age of when you are too old to vote, these fucking old people have 10 years left to live but destroy young peoples lives because they are too selfish and ignorant to care.

You can't remove people's right to vote just because they disagree with you. That mindset is terrifying to me.

Window

If the adjustment is 10% down then slow growth again it isn't a big deal. That's why nothing substantial can be determined from sudden moves.
It all depends on the good old economy: boring things like employment gdp inflation rates interest rates stuff we won't know for at least 2 quarters and probably more. Those are the stats that impact lives, not someone's Etrade portfolio loss on the day.

I was under the impression there is good correlation between the stock market and (actual) GDP but doing a bit more research reveals that it's not so simple. Still if we're talking about the economy there must have been some studies done to estimate Brexit's impact on the UK (and world) economy. We won't know hard truths till the coming months but it's not as if we're completely in the dark right?

Chinner

Banned
Norway-like agreement seems like the obvious route to take, and probably one of the only options the EU would allow. Keeping free market access is the most critical thing to ensure continuity of business and inward investment. The trade off is that we would need to agree to free movement of population so little net change from now (except less influence), but I don't see any other alternative.
I would expect huge backlash to that. It has to be all out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom