• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think one element of this whole thing that's being forgotten is Russia. A world with a resurgent, aggressive Russia and crumbling European Union is not a safe world at all.

...and you wonder why there is an imminent danger that Trump may be the next president of the USA?

If the UK, whose average people are more educated and tolerant than the average american, voted to leave the EU in fear of immigrants, just imagine how easy will be for Trump to be elected president.

2016 truly is the "game over" year. =/

Nah, the average Brit just as uneducated and intolerant as the average American, there's just less of us overall so you don't notice so much.

I think this vote proves that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Norway-like agreement seems like the obvious route to take, and probably one of the only options the EU would allow. Keeping free market access is the most critical thing to ensure continuity of business and inward investment. The trade off is that we would need to agree to free movement of population so little net change from now (except less influence), but I don't see any other alternative.

Norway also pays, per capita, a roughly similar amount to the UK to be part of the EEC, but they have no say in any EU lawmaking. If that's what the Leave camp wanted, it seems like a pretty bizarre outcome.

DJKhaled

...and you wonder why there is an imminent danger that Trump may be the next president of the USA?

If the UK, whose average people are more educated and tolerant than the average american, voted to leave the EU in fear of immigrants, just imagine how easy will be for Trump to be elected president.

Yep and the conservatives in Australia will win next week and the english speaking world except Canada are completely fucked. Right Wing is spreading for some reason, I wish moving to Canada was easier, as the Right Wing rises the poor get more and more fucked over, I will never understand it either, since the poor people seem to be including themselves in this right wing uprising.

Young voters overwhelmingly voted to stay, but are fucked by old geezers on their way 'out' anyway. That's the most shocking story in this, to me.

Older voters being egotistical and fucking over more intelligent younger voters is nothing new. See: this year's US Democratic Primary :p

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick, personal question. During these past few months I've been working towards entering the Teach First program, about which you UKGAF will probably have heard. I got in and was given a conditional offer for the 2017 cohort. If I finish everything they ask, I will be giving a one-month-and-a-half course next June and put in a teaching position in a secondary school for 2 years, while I also complete a Master's in Education.

There's one problem, though: I'm Spanish and I'm living in Spain right now. I have been doing every required equivalency test they asked from me and I'm only one test away from being fully validated: the English GSCE Equivalency Test I'm takin in July. No worries here, since I'm an English philologist (I have a Bachelor's Degree in English Literature, Grammar and History, basically).

But with today's results... am I fucked? I know that *if* I decide to take the plunge and move to England next year I will be in a very precarious position. I will not be covered by the NHS and I will be at risk of being told to go away at a moment's notice. Is there even an affordable healtcare insurance package I could buy? What about my girlfriend, who wanted to move with me and get a job there, so she could apply for Teach First the following year? I'm reallly scared, because I've been working my ass off to achieve this. What do you guys think I should do?

Imagine a border going up there again. Or one between Ireland and Northern Ireland. And nobody in the Leave camp had a plan in case that happens.

Spain has been bullying Gibraltar for quite a while, and that was despite both being part of the EU. It's going to be much worse from here on out. Spain might outright close up the border, or at the very least put a shitload of pressure onto Gibraltar. Someone posted a tweet earlier about Spain suggesting a joint sovereignty over it already as well.

I'm hoping the best for the people of Gibraltar. Sadly I think there's going to be a lot of problems down there.

gblues

Banned
This seems like the worst political move since replacing the monarchy with Oliver Cromwell. Lets hope this doesn't get violent. Stay safe friends. :(

He's Canadian. He was the BoC chief before going to BoE.

Oh I know, but imagine the feeling of being remembered as the worst PM in the history of modern Britain. He's now worse than Tony Blair. lol
Well earned. My only consolation is that he has to live the Rest of his life seeing his hubris playing out without a single possibility to do anything about it. Could be a modern day Greek tragedy (or Comedy)

Very sad news to wake up to.
I was very lucky as a Frenchman to be able to do one year of my university cursus in London ten years ago despite having no money at all, it was all taken care of by a EU program and I learned so much there. It's sad that the younger generation won't be able to do the same.

Well, good bye England, you'll be missed.
Hey what's up Scotland? You look good today.

News Bot

Banned
Belfast resident here. I have a strong feeling that support for reunification with the Republic of Ireland will see a significant surge. Probably not enough, but I expect a referendum soon. Sinn Fein have already called for it.

Chinner

Banned
Norway also pays, per capita, a roughly similar amount to the UK to be part of the EEC, but they have no say in any EU lawmaking. If that's what the Leave camp wanted, it seems like a pretty bizarre outcome.
I can't imagine it, it would be a poor outcome for LEAVE. If immigrant is truly the huge issue it is, people will not accept this.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Told you guys that if older people lean towards leave compared to young people, then y'all Brexit-ing. Old people vote, young people don't.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You can't remove people's right to vote just because they disagree with you. That mindset is terrifying to me.

It's not about 'disagreeing with you', it's about the practical-if-morbid fact that people get to vote on issues that will affect other people for decades but which they'll realistically not live to see the full effects of.

DJKhaled

You can't remove people's right to vote just because they disagree with you. That mindset is terrifying to me.

Why? they vote for shit that destroys peoples lives that have 50 years left when they only have 10 years left, that is terrifying to me.

KonradLaw

Norway-like agreement seems like the obvious route to take, and probably one of the only options the EU would allow. Keeping free market access is the most critical thing to ensure continuity of business and inward investment. The trade off is that we would need to agree to free movement of population so little net change from now (except less influence), but I don't see any other alternative.

THat's the problem. The only way UK get access to free market and doesn't have it's financial services destroyed is by accepting the very same rules the Brexit was supposed to free the country from.

Hasney

Oh I know, but imagine the feeling of being remembered as the worst PM in the history of modern Britain. He's now worse than Tony Blair. lol

History will probably treat Blair better than Cameron. Blair had two massive whacks against him with Iraq and the economy, but before that, we had years of good times as a country with him as PM. It's been downhill with DC since the start and with the Lib Dems keeping him in line, it wasn't all bad, but this term is just all kinds of fucked.

He's limboed under John Major for sure.

jorma

is now taking requests
Young voters overwhelmingly voted to stay, but are fucked by old geezers on their way 'out' anyway. That's the most shocking story in this, to me.

Turnout stats tells us they overwhelmingly voted to stay in bed. That's where you get fucked, so no surprises really.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jonathan Cooper ‏@GameAnim 3h3 hours ago Santa Monica, CA
For folks wondering why the EU was created in the first place, you get to play Battlefield 1 this holiday season.

tumblr_lvl5tyId4c1qegw8v.gif

Gibraltar already has a border since Spain is in Schengen and Gibraltar(UK) isn't.
But there is free movement of people and goods, just show your passport right? If Spain wants after the UK has left, they can make it much worse.

say, will London remain the financial center of Europe if the UK isn't even part of the EU anymore?
Frankfurt might take some over, with banks moving their HQ to there if needed. Too early to say, but some had said they'd do that.

Well, this is one hell of a thing to wake up to.
Nice to know my cynicism was once again correct in predicting this I guess: people really are this stupid.

sphagnum

Banned

The UK is 90% white.

The US is 72% white, 63% when you count only non-Hispanic whites.

Minorities across most groups are overwhelmingly Democratic. When allied with white liberals, it makes it very difficult for the Republicans to take the presidency these days, since the Republican Party is a white nationalist party.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would expect huge backlash to that. It has to be all out now.

Of course there would be a backlash. But the EU is simply not going to allow free access to their market without free movement of people. Otherwise we get a competitive advantage

I don't see an alternative that keeps us being able to do business with Europe, unless we accept horrible terms. We have to do this quickly too for coninuity, and almost anything other than a simple solution is likely to take more than the two years that is allowed under article 50

In the Dutch news they said something about unhappy disgruntled old people hijacking the debate, what was that about? Anybody know?

Majority of leavers were old people but they didn't vote to leave because of immigration, it was because they were worried about how undemocratic the EU is, trade treaties and the like.

Immigration was only a very small part of their decision to vote to leave the EU.

Arksy

It's not about 'disagreeing with you', it's about the practical-if-morbid fact that people get to vote on issues that will affect other people for decades but which they'll realistically not live to see the full effects of.

They do this in normal elections as well...What's your point? If you have a problem with democracy than fine, please, come up with an alternative system that society can agree upon.

What a fuck up...I mean at the end of the day, I think it was anti-austerity sentiment (people should at least research the roots and aims of austerity) and anti-immigration (again, fucking understand what this is about), plus remote decision-making, that led to this leave vote. Its understandable that people are frustrated by the current situation, but this particular result was shameful.

I am all in for Scottish independence now. Good for Scotland and probably good for England as well. Now let's see where these shocks will lead for England. I fear more ugliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom