• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJKhaled

I see it didn't take long for ridiculous ssuggestions like this to start. No matter who won we were always going to get some wacky venting.

How is it ridiculous? old people who will die soon are ruining the lives of young people, they don't have to deal with it long term, young people do.

nOoblet16

Norway-like agreement seems like the obvious route to take, and probably one of the only options the EU would allow. Keeping free market access is the most critical thing to ensure continuity of business and inward investment. The trade off is that we would need to agree to free movement of population so little net change from now (except less influence), but I don't see any other alternative.
Yep I simply do not see freedom of movement going away...which is ironic because it was the biggest reason why Leave won.

Even more ironic considering Brexit supporters claimed that because Norway and Switzerland are doing well then so can UK while supporting the anti immigration policies at the same time.

Yeah, France is not leaving the EU anytime soon. We can be extremely stupid but not enough that we would consider telling Germany to fuck off. We would be a mess without them.

KonradLaw

say, will London remain the financial center of Europe if the UK isn't even part of the EU anymore?

No way. Zero benefit for EU to do that. In fact, taking over that role will be the only true benefit EU can get from Brexit. THey might do some consessions in trade deals, because it could benefit both sides, but financial services are moving to Frankfurt.

Ashes

Banned
Everyone just needs to calm the fuck down. It;'s not exactly shocking that the pound has dropped and stocks have taken a hit in the immediate wake of this.

People who never normally follow the stock market seeing this and calling it the end of days.

Er pound dropped to lowest level not seen since 1985. I've literally never seen the pound this low.

Apharmd

Who is benefiting from this?

It looks like Britain's economy in the foreseeable future will be severely weakened. Who the hell is going to make money and fame off this?

Democracy in action, people saying it's unfair (not necessarily in this thread) are stretching. Everyone's vote was equal.

I do feel for Scotland however.
Honestly, if democracy and self-determination are the main drivers, I can't see the rationale for not allowing Scotland, North Ireland or even Gibraltar to have their own referendums about whether they want to stay in the UK.

Arksy

Honestly, if democracy and self-determination are the main drivers, I can't see the rationale for not allowing Scotland, North Ireland or even Gibraltar to have their own referendums about whether they want to stay in the UK.

Where have you been? It's barely been two years since there was a referendum on Scotland's membership of the EU.

sphagnum

Banned
Also, the comparison just doesn't work. Large swathes of the vote to leave the EU was from black and minority communities that emigrated here in the 70s and 80s. for example, the afro-carribean community in Lambeth.

Interesting. What's the cause behind that?

v1oz

I believe the only reason they voted leave was because of immigration. It's one of the worst decisions ever in history. Sterling has already fallen so far that the UK has dropped out of the top 5 biggest economies in the world. How can a country be so inward looking?

Staal

Well, this is a rude awakening.

This is going to be a shirt show for years. All this energy wasted on the divorce, it's pitiful.

SomTervo

Young voters overwhelmingly voted to stay, but are fucked by old geezers on their way 'out' anyway. That's the most shocking story in this, to me.

As AHA said, literally the same thing happened 1:1 with the Scottish Independence referendum

Farage responds:

"There is still demand for pasties, pastie exports will be a major part of our trade negotiations. You'll be fine."

"And I love pasties! I have one a week! At least!"

I sort of love this "well, we knew the beginning would be hard, but we'll come back stronger!" argument. For the foreseeable future, the UK's economy has been extremely weakened. Good job!

It will be interesting to see what happens with London. I don't know specifics,but I do know that none of my chums in the city were particularly concerned. Furthermore it's often been said that Wall Street is the financial capital of the US, and London is the financial capital of everywhere else. Obviously a lot of it involved the EU, but a lot of it doesn't, too, yet it competes against the likes of Hong Kong, Singapore etc. This obviously won't help, but will it kill it? I dunnooooo.

KonradLaw

How is it ridiculous? old people who will die soon are ruining the lives of young people, they don't have to deal with it long term, young people do.

Didn't young people decide to not vote en masse? Then they can have only themselves to blame. You can keep telling somebody to not put his fingers into burning stove, but if despite all the warnings he still does that it's hard to feel sorry for him.

Russia isn't going to be resurgent while oil is less than $50 a barrel.

That resurgence took off in the early 2000s - it's not beginning now or in the future, the Commanding General of the United States Army Europe, Ben Hodges, just last week recently spoke about how Russia's modernisation/resurgence efforts and threats on the baltics is of concern. Part of their modernisation/resurgence even surprised the U.S with technology they were completely unaware of until it was displayed in Syria last year.

Here's a 25min video of the interview with him by the BBC. The actual interview segment with his starts at around 6m44s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NgYGccVBfI&t=25s

Devil

Looking at the demographics of this election once again, I get the feeling that us younger people, the ones who actually will have to deal with all this mess in the future, are overruled by the majority which consists of old-ass backwards idiots. I'm getting more and more afraid that our senior citizens are fucking us over.

Once our generation becomes the majority we'll have our hands full with turning all of this around instead of making the actual progress we could have done instead. Thanks, old people!

Dougald

Scotland had a referendum in 2014 and Gibraltar in 2002

jorma

is now taking requests
This may be a terrible analogy, but are we looking at a Soviet Union situation where once one nation leaves, everything falls apart?

That's the main reason i reckon the leave-campaigners thinking they'll get a sweet trade-deal with the EU as a reward for leaving are delusional.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Er pound dropped to lowest level not seen since 1985. I've literally never seen the pound this low.

Aye and you've never seen a country leave the EU before, so let's leave the doomsday predictions for now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It will be interesting to see what happens with London. I don't know specifics,but I do know that none of my chums in the city were particularly concerned. Furthermore it's often been said that Wall Street is the financial capital of the US, and London is the financial capital of everywhere else. Obviously a lot of it involved the EU, but a lot of it doesn't, too, yet it competes against the likes of Hong Kong, Singapore etc. This obviously won't help, but will it kill it? I dunnooooo.

I'm hearing from HSBC guys that this was basically the final straw, so it isn't looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom