• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I think Britain's best chance is to go for a second bite at the apple by holding elections. Have Labour campaign on explicitly rejecting the referendum and hope there's enough buyer's remorse. Unfortunately Corbyn is not the man the Empire needs for that job.

How can you expect young people to care about politics these days? It breaks my heart.

- Betrayed by the Lib Dems in 2010
- Failed by Labour in 2015
- Forced to bear Tory austerity
- Increased tuition fees
- Lack of job opportunities
- Vote overwhelimgly to remain and are dragged out of the EU...

...it just goes on.

There's a general air of hopelessness, the right is taking over and I feel like there's nothing I can do about it.

Juicy Bob

Shouldnt that make them care much more? If everything would be going smoothly, then there wouldnt be any reason to care about politics.
My point is that almost everything that the majority of young people vote for in this country is the opposite of what we get.

I wouldn't blame many for wondering what the point is.

So you're on the side of Farage, Putin and Trump? It's best to not make this vote a personality based one as both sides lose.

nothing compared to the people responsible for the financial crisis.

See, I'm sure every one knows that both sides have agendas, so we don;t really know the REAL intentions of the leaders of both campaigns and who's lobbying behind them. So the best is to go by the track record of the current camp versus a "new thing" change is good. The current world order and systems are simply not working and we're at the worst state probably in human history in every aspect

my humble opinion, and of course I could be wrong, but so is more than 16 million respectable UK citizens. So I find it it disrespectful to dismiss them all as "stupid, irrational, racists..etc"

Shouldnt that make them care much more? If everything would be going smoothly, then there wouldnt be any reason to care about politics.

It does make them care, many of them did go vote, but their votes were overturned by a demographic that likely won't even see most if any of the results their vote has caused.

S3BQmdA.jpg

I still can't get over this. Utterly disgraceful. Most leave-voters seemed to have no fucking idea what they were voting for.

nOoblet16

Depends on what the PhD is in but EU funding might be a lot harder to come by now (and research is really a field where the UK gets back a lot more than it puts in) which in turn affects postdocs (you might be doing a grand to get a few million € to pay for equipment and staff basically) which is already a worldwide problem of not enough professors retiring, too many people getting PhDs leading to increased competition for post doctoral positions.

Ask people in your department if they have a coffee break or something about it as they'll be a bit better qualified than someone like me (who is working on their thesis corrections and wants to leave academia...not sure what I'll be leaving it to but I don't see myself as postdoc material).
My field is computer science and the topic is Artificial Neural Networks, it's basically what Google is doing right now with their AlphaGo AI. It's an extremely new field with very few researchers (comparatively). But I wonder what happens to my funding now...I assume it'll be unaffected for the time being and I would go through my degree as normal since I will finish around the time the separation happens.

Not interested in post doc since I don't want to stay in academia, would like to be a Google researcher when I finish actually...and considering these tech companies based around Cambridge and London aren't going to move away to EU I should be alright.

knkng

Another leave voter on BBC:

"I'm excited for the future"
"I'm surprised it went this way"
"I'm shocked Cameron stepped down"

I'm beginning to believe that many leave votes were done with a heavy sense of irony.

I saw this as well. A couple of them voted leave but were acting like they never expected it to actually happen. Like, what the fuck do you think happens when you submit a vote?

MGrant

You know that there are other countries outside the European union that are perfectly fine right???

Sure. Norway is fine because it has oil. Iceland and Liechtenstein are tiny. The Balkans and Turkey are... not perfectly fine right now.

UK is going to have a hell of a time when its machinery, vehicles, and medical electronics are priced out of the market by cheaper countries who don't have to deal with the harsh tariffs of the EU.

I do wonder if we would have remained under a credible Labour leadership.
If the Remain camp actually had some good leaders and presented their arguments in a better way, I fully believe things would have been different.

I still can't get over this. Utterly disgraceful. Most leave-voters seemed to have no fucking idea what they were voting for.
Pretty much the case with most elections sadly.

I think Britain's best chance is to go for a second bite at the apple by holding elections. Have Labour campaign on explicitly rejecting the referendum and hope there's enough buyer's remorse. Unfortunately Corbyn is not the man the Empire needs for that job.
Not a bad idea. Unfortunately that'll probably back fire as well. You're banking on Scotland voting Labour? They'll go yellow to guarantee their second referendum.

I saw this as well. A couple of them voted leave but were acting like they never expected it to actually happen. Like, what the fuck do you think happens when you submit a vote?

Its like in the US when someone votes 3rd party as a "protest vote" and is then surprised when the worst candidate wins.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How can you elxpect young people to care about politics these days? It breaks my heart.

- Betrayed by the Lib Dems in 2010
- Failed by Labour in 2015
- Forced to bear Tory austerity
- Increased tuition fees
- Lack of job opportunities
- Vote overwhelimgly to remain and are dragged out of the EU...

...it just goes on.
Lib dems made crazy promises that, should have been obvious were near impossible to keep, I'm sure what they were even expecting on that one.

oti

Banned
Not sure if mentioned before, but the results are happening fast

This result was to be expected. Of course the £ would tank, there was no alternative to this. It doesn't mean that factories have shut down, people are unemployed and industries have crashed over night. Usually it should bounce back once the market participants cool down a bit, but this is an unprecedented event. No one really knows what's going to happen next and Cameron waiting till October to resign and start the negotiations makes things even worse.

SomTervo

Great news! I bet on the market going crazy if Brexit won, sad to hear that this will cause suffering for people but that is how capitalism works yo! I also talk with family in the UK and they voted leave so glad that they got what they wanted even if the road ahead is uncertain. In the meantime time to buy the dip or just wait out for more panic, gotta love this kind of markets.

Utterly disgusting post.

You're holding humanity back.

pigeon

Banned
These days even the relatively poor can get information if they really want it, no? Or maybe it's not that simple. But it just doesn't seem rational to let EVERYONE, even those who don't know a fucking thing about what they're voting for, be part of making massively important decisions like this. Like all the people who voted Leave ONLY because they're anti-immigration and don't give a single fuck (nor know anything) about any of the other consequences this will have.

You already have a very strong and binding test. There's one question on it: are you the Queen?

Now granted she tends to take a lot of advice from her various subjects and possessions but I mean what good is even having a divine monarchy if not to prevent situations like this, right?

I think remain would have won if EU as an organization had been more adaptable, each country has different needs that has to be catered to, if you ignore the issues present and give no leeway after multiple negotiations then people will head for the exits. Sure we are better in the Europe but stubbornness to change has caused this.

Kyonashi

Having grown up through all those events, yes I don't see myself *not* voting in future, but jesus christ is there an overwhelming feeling of despair and general life-fuckery. It feels like we're getting entirely fucked over by the idiotic elderly who hold ancient dangerous views and want comfortable retirement home desert islands at the expense of everyone under 45.

And there's not a lot we can fucking do about it.

Can anyone explain why so many Asian populated cities like Birmingham, Bradford and Luton voted to leave?

I was shocked at Birmingham as expected that to win by a landslide for remain.

Not sure if mentioned before, but the results are happening fast

A market over reaction. The UK is solvent and once time passes it will be back on its feet. I would say buy now that everything is going down to hell. Wait some bounces and then buy and just wait or play the short gain, its time to make money thanks to the fear of people.

nothing compared to the people responsible for the financial crisis.

See, I'm sure every one knows that both sides have agendas, so we don;t really know the REAL intentions of the leaders of both campaigns and who's lobbying behind them. So the best is to go by the track record of the current camp versus a "new thing" change is good. The current world order and systems are simply not working and we're at the worst state probably in human history in every aspect

my humble opinion, and of course I could be wrong, but so is more than 16 million respectable UK citizens. So I find it it disrespectful to dismiss them all as "stupid, irrational, racists..etc"

You're making the utterly facile assumption that the camps are utterly distinct in worldview. They're not. Not by a long shot. See: the Tory party.

And hang on, we're at the worst ever point in human history?

Fuck me. I'm out again. Time to go to the allotment rather than read this kind of drivel.

RiggyRob

My point is that almost everything that the majority of young people vote for in this country is the opposite of what we get.

I wouldn't blame many for wondering what the point is.

At this point I think we'd have to wait for the older generation to die off before we can get the changes we need.

I suspect it was more 'lower' England than 'middle'. One suspects that the working class, broadly, has said 'fuck you' to the elite that's ignored them for too long. Trouble is, they'll suffer for it.
As this letter from the FT put it you've swapped one set of elites for another set:
It gets worse than that when you consider what the conservatives will be able to do about workers rights now.

So, what happens when we accept free movement to get into the EU single market, will leave people rage? Can't change things from the outside. What the hell have we gained?
I wouldn't like to be Prime Minster to be all "I got us a deal. It has free movement of people. I am now resigning as prime minster as I can't steer us to a 10s of hundreds of dozens of migrants a solar cycle". Makes me wonder if Borige will be so quick to jump up at the job opening.

Can anyone explain why so many Asian populated cities like Birmingham, Bradford and Luton voted to leave?

I was shocked at Birmingham as expected that to win by a landslide for remain.
This is not an explanation but you're asking if second generation Asian migrants some of who largely live in Ghettos (well I once accidentally drove through a part of Luton and I wondered...am I the only white person here) don't like Polish migrants and see uncontrolled EU migrants as competition potentially holding back some of their own kind as well? (due to the ridiculous no ifs no butts tens of dozens pledge and numbers have to fall somewhere) Sorry if that was rude or offended anyone.

Though some of it might be a calling your bluff (as in your say migrants steal your jobs, I'm going to vote out to prove you wrong) as well...I remember that Guardian piece on Stoke on Trent implying that.

I think the governments of NI, Scotland and Gibraltar are going to be under a lot of pressure, and likely will try to reach out to the EU in order to possibly negotiate an entry into the EU should they leave the UK.

If these negotiations are successful - and it's in the EU's best interest that they are - I definitely can see these 3 territories achieve independence, and in NI's case, potentially unify with Ireland.

Thank you for your answer. Very clear.

Another thing is that I don't know if the money plunging will have a good or bad effect on the British economy. I know (in a very basic way) that countries with a lot of industries could go for a cheap money (China) to boost exports but I'm not sure it's as good as it seems it could be for UK.

UK exports a lot but it exports services. Also PIB is almost 78% services, 1% Agriculture and 21% industry.

Is it something that was in debate or did this question has been answered or at least some potential impacts explained?

I think like many that the world is not going to collapse of course but I do think it'll change the economic landscape of UK.

I think remain would have won if EU as an organization had been more adaptable, each country has different needs that has to be catered to, if you ignore the issues present and give no leeway after multiple negotiations then people will head for the exits. Sure we are better in the Europe but stubbornness to change has caused this.

I'm sorry, i was under the impression that the UK as a country had a large amount of exemptions in regards to certain parts of EU membership.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I DON'T LIKE THE EU'S POLICIES

Then do your homework and vote for parties with good European programmes. Calling the EU undemocratic is a waste of breathing air when your national representation follows the orders of your elected European representatives and your own governments at home.

Stop being lazy and dishonest and start being proactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom