• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Do you know who likes this news the most?

Putin.

Europe just lost his biggest opponent, got out of it badly damaged and is more pliable than ever to his whims, while the UK stands on its own.

Good job.

There's a reason the Kremlin finances Eurosceptic movements, and pushes propaganda supporting their agenda. It's strongly in Russia's strategic interest to sow division in Europe.

Sasie

Don't be surprised if there's SWEXIT DENXIT and NEDXIT now.

It's not just the UK that is fucked, but the whole European project. It just lurches from one crisis to another. It has resilience, but for how much longer can it take the divorce from the rich northern nations and the econmically distraught southern ones.

We need Churchill and we get . . . . BLOJO.

As another Swede it would be interesting to know how a SWEXIT vote would go even if I see it as pretty unlikely at the moment. If the European project falls apart though it's their own damn fault with how aggressively they pushed the whole United states of Europe thing for years despite how unpopular it was. I don't think anyone dislike the economical aspect/trade of the EU or travelling without passport. It's just they still want to remain independent nations with the right to self-rule and EU at times acted like a bully when it comes to that.

People don't like having their own parliaments are irrelevant and if they vote for something the EU don't like it will just be challenged in a EU court. The last Swedish government for example pushed for limited wolf hunting and every year we would have headlines about how the EU disliked it and tried to push them to reverse their decisions.

A lot of european citizens don't want to be ruled from Brussels.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, we tried that in the US. Not a good look when your voter "literacy test" disenfranchises vast swathes of the poor and people of color.

These days even the relatively poor can get information if they really want it, no? Or maybe it's not that simple. But it just doesn't seem rational to let EVERYONE, even those who don't know a fucking thing about what they're voting for, be part of making massively important decisions like this. Like all the people who voted Leave ONLY because they're anti-immigration and don't give a single fuck (nor know anything) about any of the other consequences this will have.

ShogunX

Saves 350 million a day, controls immigration, job enrichment, have our own legislation system and justice system etc etc, lots of reasons

Edit: Sorry meant a week

I refuse to believe anybody with the IQ of that above a fucking cabbage is still using the 350m number to justify why they voted to leave.

What on earth have you and people like you done?

H7ZVv92.jpg

I can't believe you've done this.

Plum

Another leave voter on BBC:

"I'm excited for the future"
"I'm surprised it went this way"
"I'm shocked Cameron stepped down"

I'm beginning to believe that many leave votes were done with a heavy sense of irony.

MrS

Banned
There's a reason the Kremlin finances Eurosceptic movements, and pushes propaganda supporting their agenda. It's strongly in Russia's strategic interest to sow division in Europe.
Can you point me in the direction of some evidence for these claims?

Also, bring on the memes!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Who gives a fuck about Blair anymore?
The country is divided and the future is really uncertain. He's the past.

Nobody gives a fuck about him, but he's right that Labour have completely lost their appeal to people in the centre. Post-Miliband the way to compete with Cameron was to move to the centre, not further to the left.

What are some good UK news sources that I can check regularly to stay up to date on what is going on in the coming months and years? I know a lot of British papers have a reputation for being tabloids so I want to be sure to read legitimate sources. If a source is biased either right or left wing please let me know so I have an idea of what to expect.

I don't imagine we'll hear much out of US news sources after the next few days so I appreciate any suggestions.

BBC - centrist, accused by everybody of being biased the 'other way', take that as you will
Guardian - left liberal
Telegraph - old man right wing

I would say Times over Telegraph, but it's paywalled.

SomTervo

What is more worrying is that we now live in a climate were facts are not highly regarded or persuasive to the public anymore.

This began in the '80s when Rupert Murdoch's empire started backing specific parties and spouting propaganda about them.

Literally every vote since Thatcher got power has been won/lost by Rupert Murdoch + team, not any electorate

What are some good UK news sources that I can check regularly to stay up to date on what is going on in the coming months and years? I know a lot of British papers have a reputation for being tabloids so I want to be sure to read legitimate sources. If a source is biased either right or left wing please let me know so I have an idea of what to expect.

I don't imagine we'll hear much out of US news sources after the next few days so I appreciate any suggestions.

BBC reporters have their biases I guess, but the corporation is duty-bound to report things like this impartially. Gonna be plenty of fact and opinion pieces in the fallout from this.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
What is your problem?

You hope 64m people have hardship just to teach the rest of the EU a lesson?
That's why I said somewhat. If Brits prosper financially now other countries may leave by poplar vote too. Opening the gates to EU crumbling. People forget that 20yeas ago wars where still happening in Europe. Peace is worth more then the hardship of Brits more or less.

Mr. Sam

BBC.com is legally bound to be "unbiased."

Chû Totoro;208206118 said:
Just a question for people who may know better here.

Northern Ireland and Scotland wanted to be in EU. So... Ireland to be united again and to quit Great Britain?

I think the governments of NI, Scotland and Gibraltar are going to be under a lot of pressure, and likely will try to reach out to the EU in order to possibly negotiate an entry into the EU should they leave the UK.

If these negotiations are successful - and it's in the EU's best interest that they are - I definitely can see these 3 territories achieve independence, and in NI's case, potentially unify with Ireland.

http://imrussia.org/en/analysis/world/2500-putinism-and-the-european-far-right for starters. Anti-Putin think-tank, but I hardly think that's a bad thing.

You know that there are other countries outside the European union that are perfectly fine right???

Yeah, but they didn't just transition from one paradigm to an unknown other.

THAT'S. THE. WHOLE. POINT.

That's why I said somewhat. If Brits prosper financially now other countries may leave by poplar vote too. Opening the gates to EU crumbling. People forget that 20yeas ago wars where still happening in Europe. Peace is worth more then the hardship of Brits more or less.

Yeah I'm sure people who lose their jobs, homes, savings, health service, will agree with you.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

The French National Front took out big loans from Russian banks, just google it.

Flintty

I think it's in reference to the Cornish nationalism, since Cornwall also has the strongest independence movement in England itself since many have their own "national identity" who don't consider themselves part of England.

I was aware that they see themselves as their own entity but always thought it was a non-starter politically. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Great news! I bet on the market going crazy if Brexit won, sad to hear that this will cause suffering for people but that is how capitalism works yo! I also talk with family in the UK and they voted leave so glad that they got what they wanted even if the road ahead is uncertain. In the meantime time to buy the dip or just wait out for more panic, gotta love this kind of markets.

As a foreigner with a great interest in British politics I tend to stick to The Guardian and the BBC. The former is left-leaning but not hard left and usually presents a pretty diverse set of views. The BBC is bound the remain politically neutral in its reporting.

Juicy Bob

How can you expect young people to care about politics these days? It breaks my heart.

- Betrayed by the Lib Dems in 2010
- Failed by Labour in 2015
- Forced to bear Tory austerity
- Increased tuition fees
- Lack of job opportunities
- Vote overwhelimgly to remain and are dragged out of the EU...

...it just goes on.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I do wonder if we would have remained under a credible Labour leadership.

Bye.

Eu will tank more than UK - FTSE down 6 %, most EU markets 8 %. It will calm down. The world will not crash just because of UK leaving.

Eventually we will have free trade and nobody left in State of EU and back to normal.

You think that losing insured economic co-dependence on the European continent is going "back to normal"? It wasn't normal. It won't be normal if the EU disintegrates.

sobaka770

Banned
Between this and a potential Trump presidency it's just wonderful to see how much stupidity there actually remains in the world.

YoungFa

How can you expect young people to care about politics these days? It breaks my heart.

- Betrayed by the Lib Dems in 2010
- Failed by Labour in 2015
- Forced to bear Tory austerity
- Increased tuition fees
- Lack of job opportunities
- Vote overwhelimgly to remain and are dragged out of the EU...

...it just goes on.

Shouldnt that make them care much more? If everything would be going smoothly, then there wouldnt be any reason to care about politics.

Plum

Great news! I bet on the market going crazy if Brexit won, sad to hear that this will cause suffering for people but that is how capitalism works yo! I also talk with family in the UK and they voted leave so glad that they got what they wanted even if the road ahead is uncertain. In the meantime time to buy the dip or just wait out for more panic, gotta love this kind of markets.

Nice to hear you're liking it. Always much easier to drop empathy if you don't have to be on the receiving end of something.

I think the most frustrating part of all this is that is a clear example of how illogical most people are.

There are things that the people can be angry about, yet time and time again the majority of people fall for bullshit propaganda and end up voting against their self-interest.
A large swath of leave voters no doubt voted on the ideas that we will have more money for the NHS and to reduce immigration and to 'gain back control', yet less than an hour after the results those first 2 ideas have already been backtracked on and this magical control we apparently didn’t have will end up meaning less rights and opportunities for the common person.

And once it becomes clear for them that what they wanted is never coming, who are they going to blame? It won't be the leave campaigners or the EU, it will most likely be the group that are fighting to solve these issues. Seems to happen every fucking time, believe the bullshit and not able to see the forest for the trees.

geordiemp

yeah, thats just not going to happen. UK will not get all the privileges of being in the EU.

You reckon ? You think Germany who now has to fund the rest of Europe will want to pay UK import duty for their massive exports to the UK.

I think EU is sweating more than us, and their markets are down more.

You think that losing insured economic co-dependence on the European continent is going "back to normal"? It wasn't normal. It won't be normal if the EU disintegrates.

Insured what - Eu is an economic wreck - Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy.

Most EU markets dropped 2 % more than UK. Eu was always going to fall apart - Germany UK and France getting tired of funding everything as if its our duty, and when we ask EU for some measures they say fuck off.

I cant believe people are surprised.

I still don't get how people can look at actual fascists cheering this vote and think, "Yeah, this seems like a good outcome."

It's like a Mitchell and Webb sketch come to life.

EU has been a mess ever it came to be, nothing changed it has gone from worse to bad.
It has been the single most vital tool to get an entire continent that has been at war with each other for centuries to fucking finally settle down.

We gained the power to impose draconian sanctions against a threatening Russia, have some bargaining power against gigantic nations that eclipse our GDP several times.
This doesn't even get into how much of a boost to culture and travel the EU brought to the table on top of the exporting nations benefiting from the weaker Euro.

You fucking don't get to call the EU a mess.

Crumpo

I am waiting for Farage to claim he caused the victory by calling for pens. He stopped the Islamist MI5 vote-rigging spiders with a simple pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom