• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remark from a co-worker: This is like the Euro 04 all over again: Greece is still in, yet nobody actually wants them to or knows why, and England (well, the UK) is out because they, of course, managed to fuck it up all by themselves.

I chuckled.

Shit :-(

sdkaQ7d.png

Except UK had stronger trade with Commonwealth then Europe until the 60s

OuterLimits

This is the saddest thing.

The old people deciding for a future that young people do not want.

Well, in 40 years the youth of today will be old and likely voting against some things the younger people want.

Also, this graph doesn't say what percentage of the young voters showed up.

I know here in the States, the under 30 voter participation is usually pathetic. Hopefully it is much higher in the UK

Nyx

Are those the numbers for the referendum or for last year's elections ?
Frustrating if so. People who can't be arsed to vote and/or educate themselves on politics do my head in.

Think this referendum, it was on a picture earlier in this thread, let me find it.

Nokterian

While the disconnect young people have from politics is troubling, the cart blanche that seems to give other demographics to walk all over them at will doesn't seem very tasteful or respectful all on its own.

it still shows that youth didn't care about and this is the result.

Am I a dopey cunt or is there no such thing as an "official exchange rate from the central bank"? I don't blame them for wanting to protect themselves from significant variations in the exchange rate, but that doesn't sound right... exchange rates aren't set by central banks, but by markets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As someone in the North West of England, the most disappointing aspect of the results is the overwhelming support for leave in large swathes of the region, in particular across Lancashire, Merseyside, and around Manchester and into Yorkshire.

Areas which are some of the poorest in the UK, and have populations with statistically a lot to gain from membership of the European Union, and a lot to lose from the ramifications of Brexit. Indeed Merseyside is deemed (relatively) one of the poorest regions in the UK by the EU, and has received so much structural funding from it.

Thankfully the people of Liverpool, Sefton, and the Wirral had the good sense to recognise this (in addition to the other benefits bought by membership), and turned out majorities for Remain.

No doubt UK gaffers from other regions (particularly Wales & the North East will have similar feelings).

Labour has a LOT to answer for in this referendum, and in particular Jeremy Corbyn and his leadership team. It's high time he steps down.

Edit: Do we have turnout percentages by age group yet?

I'd like to see a breakdown of which areas gain the most from EU support - either through direct financial aid or from inward investment which exists because of us being in the single market.

Cornwall at least is an example of somewhere that has significant financial support from the EU yet voted to leave. How about the places with large car plants?

I just don't understand how scaremongering around immigration and some spurious comments about sovereignty override commonsense around jobs and your own local economy

DBT85

If Labour can push fora snap GE, maybe just maybe there is enough momentum among remain voters and enough market turmoil for them to gain traction?

They can gain traction for a vote, but without the Scottish seats labour won't get in alone. They'd have to form a coalition.

If Scotland leaves the UK I struggle to see how labour will get a majority any time soon.

Lego Boss

Remark from a co-worker: This is like the Euro 04 all over again: Greece is still in, yet nobody actually wants them to or knows why, and England (well, the UK) is out because they, of course, managed to fuck it up all by themselves.

I chuckled.

Shit :-(

LOL.

I want to know where the 12% price drop in food is? BREXIT said prices on food would drop on the announcement of leaving the EU, but my Irn-Bru is the same price.

THEY LIED TO US!

oh really

daniels

They are the consequence of people not being involved in European politics and voting shitty parties at home, only to be upset when they screw things up and point their fingers at Brussels. Fuck that noise.

Hmm this is true Juncker and Schulz (in the past barroso) are the most known and even then they are literally unknown on average.. But this is also to a certain extend the fault of the media.

Shiggy

Same way Singapore, New York and Hong Kong access markets? Or how Canada trades with USA?

UK exports machinery and chemicals according to Google.....

Might be news to you, but those markets don't have access to the single market. They are all burdened with tariffs. Or do you suggest that the UK will now go to new regions for trade?

Crumpo

Am I a dopey cunt or is there no such thing as an "official exchange rate from the central bank"? I don't blame them for wanting to protect themselves from significant variations in the exchange rate, but that doesn't sound right... exchange rates aren't set by central banks, but by markets.

Dude, loads are either fixed or set to within benchmarks

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I never post in OT, but I just wanted to see the vibes surrounding this on here.

As a Brit living abroad, my head will stay firmly in the sand until this all blows over.

I voted remain. I'm disappointed and ashamed, but I'll try to stay positive.

To all my people back home: put the kettle on, grab a loved one and have a good old-fashioned think.

Hmm... Hmm...

TrueBlue

Low 40s in % iirc.
While the older people had turnout of high 70s.

Blimey.

There is a definitely a disconnect. I didn't vote in the GE, but voted here. It's getting over the idea that your vote is pointless that I find to be the hardest thing.

I don't think the last few years have helped, mind. It's a vicious circle.

geordiemp

Might be news to you, but those markets don't have access to the single market. They are all burdened with tariffs. Or do you suggest that the UK will now go to new regions for trade?

Uk buys 20 % of all german cars made world wide. Germany will make sure there is a free trade with UK.

Germany is left as main contributor to EU....

Anyone who thinks otherwise, serious LOL

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Because both sides had no clue how to argue points. When you have people days before voting still not having a clue what the fuck it's all about then both sides have failed. Unless you take time to research your not going understand why staying is good and modern people can't be arsed doing that.

Which is why there either shouldn't have been a referendum on such a complex matter, or there should have been a higher requirement for a majority

typist

Im assuming this is about the Dems saying that if they won the election they wouldn't raise student fees, and then they didn't win?

The Lib Dems didn't win but they teamed up with the Tories and voted to raise student tuition fees... even though they got enough of the vote that they could have teamed up with Labour and kept the fees low. It was definitely a promise that they didn't need to break considering most of their base was students. The UK would be a very different country right now if the Lib Dems had just formed a coalition with Labour... now we probably won't even stay as the UK :/

People should have known markets going to rubber band due to possible changes even if voted remain never mind leave. Markets tend to act like forum posters shit we doomed then have a brew and calm down for a bit.

lol the problem isn't how bad the market is today, or how much the pound has tanked. the market will steadily contract and the loss long term will be massive.

Flintty

From the BBC, on rumours Corbyn is on his way out:

You could almost end up with a reshaping of politics at Westminster. And on the back of that we may even have a general election sooner rather than later."

Since I made my mind up on my vote, I have been hoping that the referendum would cause a massive shake-up of UK politics. Whether you voted Leave or Remain, surely you can see that this can only be a good thing. I'm hoping the change doesn't stop at party leaders, we need a fundamental change of the behaviours of politicians and how they treat the UK people and perhaps even the voting system itself.

Edit: Source (at 10:21): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

I don't think this is a bad thing, to summarise things into a basic Pro/Con list, I have this:

Pros:
- Democratic freedom.
- Not restricted by EU regulations.
- Don't have to pay billions of taxpayer money to the EU to prop up the weak countries.
- No longer having to basically fund the EU themselves.
- More border control.

Cons:
- Having to rewrite trade agreements that may or may not fall through.
- May lead to the dissolution of the United Kingdom.
- Not "protected" by other countries in the EU.
- Some sectors lose EU funding, like science.

EU had restrictions on who England could trade with.This opens up new doors for trade. and with a GDP as large as theirs, it's not like other countries won't want their business.

Crumpo

They'd at least vote better than the 70 year olds who won't have to live with the repercussions of this decision

An ill-considered vote is not a good vote, regardless of what is chosen.

People voting without truly understanding what it means is the problem here.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Well, this event has given me a greater sense of being European. I think now more than ever, we Europeans need to unite and stand together.
I feel sad that the UK, which I love dearly and is the country I'd call home more than any other, has changed this much for the worse. But much of what I loved about it was also because of its sense of European identity and values, and today the UK has shown it does not share these values

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can't believe the Wales EU funding, why was nobody talking that up before the vote!?
Wales still wants money from the EU after how much of a backstabbing they did to us last night?
Wtf? Wales. Fucking disappointing.

As a Welshman I'm really fucking embarrassed by how we voted, at least here in Cardiff we seem to have more common sense, but the rest of Wales and a number of counties that get EU funding will have royally screwed themselves over.

Power has always been the most important thing to these people, it's just getting much more air time now.

Can you really blame them? They get constant promises from parties who then turn around and do nothing but throw them under a bus. They are also totally shit at connecting with the youth of today, and now the older generation in general has screwed them over too.

From the BBC, on rumours Corbyn is on his way out:

Since I made my mind up on my vote, I have been hoping that the referendum would cause a massive shake-up of UK politics. Whether you voted Leave or Remain, surely you can see that this can only be a good thing. I'm hoping the change doesn't stop at party leaders, we need a fundamental change of the behaviours of politicians and how they treat the UK people and perhaps even the voting system itself.

When the change is going to be pander more to the right wing base, I don't.

avaya

Vodafone: too soon to say what this means for domicile if group.

Would bet on them going if we don't get single market access with freedom of movement.

geordiemp

lol the problem isn't how bad the market is today, or how much the pound has tanked. the market will steadily contract and the loss long term will be massive.

Rubbish, market is back to what it was a short time ago already, a few hours in.

No wonder we voted leave, all the negative doom mongers just going overboard doing remain no favours.

SomTervo

Thank you.

Let's celebrate/morn (strike as appropriate for you). a drink is something we can all agree on

Cheers!

Despite completely fucked up shit like this happening, the world is undoubtedly in a better place than it's ever been. Average worldwide violence and crime lower than ever before, average life expectancy on the rise worldwide, etc, etc. Your post was a bit of a leap.

I'll toast you on the drink, though

How serious is this? What does this mean to a resident of the United States of America?

What does this mean to Europe and UK?

I heard the PM, David Cameron resigned.

I heard this is nearly as big as 9/11.

It's very serious, but probably not to you.

The 9/11 comparison is a bit mad. This will have far reaching consequences too, but not in the same sphere (ie war).

Burai

shitonmychest57
I'd like to see a breakdown of which areas gain the most from EU support - either through direct financial aid or from inward investment which exists because of us being in the single market.

Cornwall at least is an example of somewhere that has significant financial support from the EU yet voted to leave. How about the places with large car plants?

I just don't understand how scaremongering around immigration and some spurious comments about sovereignty override commonsense around jobs and your own local economy

Because the Leave campaign told them they could have their cake and eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom