• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydelnae

Some of the people who voted Leave saying that they didn't think it would happen and they did it without thinking about the consequences... good lord.

choco-fish

Just woke up to the news, I can't believe it. Things are gonna go downhill for me and the family now.

And pretty much every family across the UK for Years to come, we've gotta live with this decision as others have said the people have spoken.

I'm willing to bet when you talk to people about it in a few years people will not want to admit to voting leave.

Just saw the news . I'm sad , The uk choose such a STUPID idea.
And then i realised that i need to say goodbye to my cheap anime region b blu-rays purchases.

Uk , acting since 30 years like they were the pillar of EU economy when they were the ones benefiting the most from it

See you all in 15 years when your economy will be flattenned and you'll want to go back

MrChom

The pound is already back up to its Feb 2016 level, and the FTSE is back to where it was on Monday. CALM DOWN.

I really don't think for many people there IS a "calm down" option. Many of us are looking at impacted job security, long-term removal of options, up to 4 years of a government without mandate, and a now entrenched vision of Britain as a tiny racist isolationist remnant amongst the rest of the world.

And let's look at those markets....

let's look at the last year, so since the start of the campaign.

Against the USD? Down 11%
Against the Euro? Down 11%
Against the Yen? Down 25%

That's not the last hour, that's not the last day, that's been a growing fall in the power of the UK economy for a year as we got closer and closer to leaving. If ever there has been a time to panic it's been the last 48 hours because some idiot drove us off the cliff and we're all still in the burning bus heading for a river, and wondering what rock bottom is going to feel like. Worse still we appear to be attempting to drag some other markets with us in the process, there's a lot of money being lost today.

I don't think this is a bad thing, to summarise things into a basic Pro/Con list, I have this:

Pros:
- Democratic freedom.

Not sure what you mean with that. Every country had their own governments making their own laws. Everything "imposed" by the EU was voted on by EU delegates each country voted for to represent them.

- Not restricted by EU regulations.

You're aware that most EU regulations already were established regulations for the UK law anyway, right? Furthermore, if you want to do trade with the EU, you'll have to abide to their regulations.

Plus, EU regulations heavily protected the lower and middle classes from the exploits of Tories and other right wingers who enjoy stripping away the rights of those particular classes.

- Don't have to pay billions of taxpayer money to the EU to prop up the weak countries.

Money which would go back into the British economy through trade agreements and weaker British areas such as Wales and Cornwall receiving funding anyway.

- No longer having to basically fund the EU themselves.

Wha? You are aware that the EU is not just funded by Britain, right? In fact, to my knowledge, the EU contribution of the UK is less than that of Germany, France and Italy. It also is the country with the absolutely least of its GDP spent on the EU among all EU countries (sans Croatia, I have no data for that).
(also mind you, this data is a few years old, but it's still there).
- More border control.

No guarantee of that, and the UK already wasn't part of the Schengen area, so it already had border control.

- Some sectors lose EU funding, like science.

And whole swaths of the country losing funding as well, not only particular branches of the economy.

You also forget that this political isolationism might result in a heavy blow to the economy. The EU is the UK's biggest trading partner by far. Having virtually no borders between the UK and the EU meant that it was much easier to do said trade. And unless the UK is able to hammer out a very favourable agreement with the EU, trade will become much more difficult and expensive.

Who is buying GBP right now? BoE probably providing the bling.
It's certainly possible:

"But we are well prepared for this. Her Majesty's Treasury and the Bank of England have engaged in extensive contingency planning, and the Chancellor and I have remained in close contact, including through the night and this morning."
-Bank of England governor Mark Carney

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets-live/markets-live-brexcitement-builds-20160623-gpqpi5.html

I agree to voting being compulsory as long as there is a box for "none of the above" or similar so nobody is being forced to just pick at random. Is that how it works in Australia?
You have to turn up to a voting booth, and have your name checked off as you're given the voting ballot. You can do whatever you want with the ballot, since it's completely anonymous. Knowing that you have to vote, hopefully people actually take more of an interest.

It can't eliminate ignorance obviously (and sadly), but it does eliminate apathy.

Plum

Some of the people who voted Leave saying that they didn't think it would happen and they did it without thinking about the consequences... good lord.

Using fucking drunk driver logic to vote is a disgrace to democracy.

"Didn't think I would crash the car, officer; another pint never makes that much of a difference, right?"

Drencrom

So, Scandinavia, shall we open the talks about letting Scotland be part of us incase they split from the UK and perhaps would like to?

I mean, we share a lot of common grounds in the world. We have the same geographical latitude. They got shittons of mountains and strange stories about mythological beasts living in them. We both wear funny clothing on our holidays. We both used to go to the English to give them a good beating once in a while when we were bored. Whenever Hollywood decides to make a movie about Vikings or anything resembling Vikings, they use people with a Scottish accent to represent us.

Scottish are basically already part of the family.

I'd be cool with it.

Scotland definitely deserves better than England

Ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner

From what I understand if we want to remain part of the EU free market you also have to abide by the freedom of movement. If we stay a part of that market, the only thing we've done is give up our voting rights in the EU.

This. It's a similar situation to what has been going on here in Switzerland since we voted for that stupid people's initiative restricting immigration two years ago: Freedom of movement is one of the fundamental pillars of the treaties that we arduously managed to work out with the EU in the 1990s instead of becoming a member of the EU. So – guess what? – the EU is absolutely having none of our attempts to unilaterally restrict this freedom; it's simply non-negotiable and, thus, negotiations with the EU have been going nowhere for two years now.

So, I guess, welcome, Great Britain, to the same shitty boat that we've been in for the past two years.

oti

Banned
I have family that voted leave because they "knew remain was going to win but wanted a dramatic result".

Suffice to say, I've not hesitated to say that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

Same thing happened to me with the Greek referendum.

What is going on? Why are life changing political votes treated as "happenings" all of the sudden that need to be exciting or entertaining? This isn't television. It's the future of your kids, your grandkids and beyond.

kiyomi

I don't think this is a bad thing, to summarise things into a basic Pro/Con list, I have this:

Pros:
- Democratic freedom.
- Not restricted by EU regulations.
- Don't have to pay billions of taxpayer money to the EU to prop up the weak countries.
- No longer having to basically fund the EU themselves.
- More border control.

Cons:
- Having to rewrite trade agreements that may or may not fall through.
- May lead to the dissolution of the United Kingdom.
- Not "protected" by other countries in the EU.
- Some sectors lose EU funding, like science.

EU had restrictions on who England could trade with.This opens up new doors for trade. and with a GDP as large as theirs, it's not like other countries won't want their business.

What the fuck do you think MEPs are for? Did you even vote when MEP elections came around?

You're a perfect example of the fucking ignorance in this country that has lead to this disaster.

jonno394

This. It's a similar situation to what has been going on here in Switzerland since we voted for that stupid people's initiative restricting immigration two years ago: Freedom of movement is one of the fundamental pillars of the treaties that we arduously managed to work out with the EU in the 1990s instead of becoming a member of the EU. So – guess what? – the EU is absolutely having none of our attempts to unilaterally restrict this freedom; it's simply non-negotiable and, thus, negotiations with the EU have been going nowhere for two years now.

So, I guess, welcome, Great Britain, to the same shitty boat that we've been in for the past two years.

So we accept free movement of people and get free market access, but then we don't have to abide by all the other EU bureaucracy and rules, i'll take it.

SomTervo

I really don't think for many people there IS a "calm down" option. Many of us are looking at impacted job security, long-term removal of options, up to 4 years of a government without mandate, and a now entrenched vision of Britain as a tiny racist isolationist remnant amongst the rest of the world.

And let's look at those markets....

let's look at the last year, so since the start of the campaign.

Against the USD? Down 11%
Against the Euro? Down 11%
Against the Yen? Down 25%

That's not the last hour, that's not the last day, that's been a growing fall in the power of the UK economy for a year as we got closer and closer to leaving. If ever there has been a time to panic it's been the last 48 hours because some idiot drove us off the cliff and we're all still in the burning bus heading for a river, and wondering what rock bottom is going to feel like. Worse still we appear to be attempting to drag some other markets with us in the process, there's a lot of money being lost today.

Really insightful post

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Scotland is surely out of the UK if they get another referendum

The difference in raw numbers between them and England/Wales(minus London) seems staggeringly clear, and their membership in the UK is essentially dragging them to a future they overwhelmingly voted against, no?

Do the numbers add up for Scottish independance now, given the precipitous drop in oil price?

Without the oil revenue projections that were heavily relied upon in the Scottish referendum, I'm not sure Scottish Independance is even feasible.

To top this off, Switzerland is actually a very attractive partner to the EU due to its location, its modern infrastructure, and its strong financial sector. The UK is in a very similar boat (if not slightly disadvantaged due to its peripheral position), so really everything that Brexiters are hoping for is not going to happen.

dealer-

Same thing happened to me with the Greek referendum.

What is going on? Why are life changing political votes treated as "happenings" all of the sudden that need to be exciting or entertaining? This isn't television. It's the future of your kids, your grandkids and beyond.

It did feel a bit like the Eurovision Song Contest last night though. Lets do it again next year.

geordiemp

As a German I'll reserve my judgement/panic until I see the new trade deals the UK will make. The real losers are UK students, who will now face a more privatised school system, and workers, who won't have the EU protection anymore.

Its in your interest to make a deal with us as well - works both ways, we buy 20 % of all German cars.

I cant see no change, Germany and UK want to trade with each other, everybody else in EU needs German funding.

Maybe some will want to punish the UK, but cant see it. More likely France and Netherlands Frexit and Nexit next

From chat with a friend this morning:

Welp
As with the general
Time to look on the bright side and get busy working with what remains
Pun intended
This may be a substantial gift TO the EU. The best thing we could possibly do for the institution
A wake up call, a clear directive for immediate far reaching reform
And for our part
Things will most certainly be shit for some time
But they're not wrong when they say we'll have control of our own destiny
We'll have to - like, really, we'll have to - come up with a plan for pulling out of this nationwide nosedive
Like I said at the general, sometimes the best thing for you can be the worst
A dose of salts
There's a reason for everything and a logical - necessary - path from here to the best of all possible outcomes
The divisions and shortcomings in our own social fabric (the UK) have also been exposed, and there are clear positives available via the message the population have sent
Those who wanted to remain have failed to make it the obvious best possible choice. As have all those who worked for forty years to create the EU. It's vital then we now reach for the people who felt they were being left behind by it all
No, we didn't leave in order to help the EU, but in what other spirit should they take it? If someone robs you or worse, the only way round that event is to find the gift it contains
Anything else is a testament to defeat

What have you done Britain!? Sad day for sure.. I hope there will be a turn around to this.
Well, as an Italian living in London, if they kick me out, can I go to Scotland right? D:

So how's ScotGAF and NIGAF holding up? If I was reading the votes right Scotland pretty much voted to remain.

NIGAF... lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom