• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned
Being in the EU is not a rule, it's a choice. As has just been very effectively demonstrated.

Blackmailing a population who has voted democratically to leave will do wonders for anti-EU sentiment around the rest of Europe.

Yeah but if the UK doesn't implode (I'm betting it won't) then the EU is essentially fucked as more and more countries will follow their lead.

Alfonso Cuaron is a visionary.

1368_2.jpg

chills

daniels

Young People that never knew it any different and literally cant imagine it any other way or a better way since birth voted for status quo ... news at 11
Also when you are old You will also make political decision that your future children have to live with.

Nilaul

My friend contract says that they will be fired if the UK votes to leave and the leaving procedure is put in place.

Good job UK; you fucked your own future.

avaya

I keep hearing this "German car exports" argument.
What do you think will happen if non-UK cars become a bit more expensive? I guess us Brits will turn to all those UK car companies and buy an Austin Metro or an MG Rover 75.

The EU isn't going to rush through an unprecedented one-sided trade deal with the UK (free trade without free movement) just to give a marginal increase in profit to the German car industry. That's not how the EU works. Each country must agree to the treaty and Germany just don't have the clout that people think they do.
Especially since a treaty that gives such huge benefits to the UK would be the EU sending out the message that leaving is easy.

While some people are crowing over "taking our country back", I feel like I've had my country stolen away from me. I'm a citizen of Europe and have always viewed the other member states in the same way as the differences between Yorkshire and London, or England and Scotland. At all these scales, we all have our own culture and we all argue about who is best, but we're all on the same team in the end. And now we're not.

The car exports argument is for morons.

Typically unit sales volume falls 20% in a recession, with the fall in GBP the gross euro revenue of those sales to German firms are already gonna be down 35-40%.

This doesn't even touch the fact that the UK retail car market is a lease bubble, estimated 80% of sales, which will fall over like a house of cards as wholesale financing tightens and recession hits.

To top that off, unit sales volume falling for German cars in the UK in particular is less likely because they are the best cars in the world and the substitutes are EU or Japanese. So despite tariffs, people will still buy them, they'll just be more expensive. Not great for the German manufacturers but nothing devastating considering US and China haven't disappeared as their markets.

But sure, the Germans will be desperate. Bitch please.

Fucking disaster this. Not sure how we managed to do this but an entire generation of 45+ year old's (ie our mum's, dad's and grandparents) are turning increasingly more scared, hateful, populist and plain stupid here in the EU. What's happening in the UK is just an example of something that's happening more broadly.

Seeing it here in the Netherlands with my own grandmother who has turned increasingly xenophobic and scared for the future, fueled by dumb, scare mongering, populist media and politicians. We try and correct her but she is simply getting to old to truly understand what she is voting on. And quite honestly it is not her world to determine the course of anymore (she is 90+ and on her way out).

Polls seem to show a clear generation divide and I'm finding it increasingly more stupid that the scared populist baby boomer generation is having such a dire effect on EU's future.

Cls0bAvWEAA-dp2.jpg

if there's one thing old people are good at its fucking up the future of the next generation.

I hope we can live up thier standards when its our turn to fuck things up.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Politics will happen first before we get to that stage. NI voted to remain so it may go to a referendum. At that point, no idea what would happen with them as ROI may not want them and I don't think it would be a great idea to go fully independent. you know, unless they want an independence day and to TAKE BACK CONTROL.
Why would Republic of Ireland not want Northern Ireland?

Maledict

Scotland cannot join the EU on it's own. Scotland has aboslutley no legal power to hold another referendum. the only option is has would be to declare unilateral secession from the UK - and there is absolutely no way that the EU would recognise Scotland under those circumstances.

AHA-Lambda

"Can confirm legislation for drawing up new independence referendum will begin"

"Previous no voters have been reconsidering their opinion over this result"

Ratros

Can somebody explain to me how the parliament could overrule this referendum? I heard it is possible but unlikely. What would need to happen?

Theoretically speaking this referendum is advisory and not legally binding - that is, political leaders may choose to ignore the result, refuse to invoke Article 50 and remain in EU just as the IN side would like to. However it would be a direct violation to the fundamental principles of our democratic system, diminishes the whole idea of referendum and effectively ends the political life of the leader who dares to make that proposal.

In other words, what's done has been done.

Jezbollah

Scotland cannot join the EU on it's own. Scotland has aboslutley no legal power to hold another referendum. the only option is has would be to declare unilateral secession from the UK - and there is absolutely no way that the EU would recognise Scotland under those circumstances.

Yep. Needs a Parliamentary act. And no Conservative Government is going to do that any time soon.

Par Score

Scotland and London to go after independence. Holy Fuck.

I'd expect renewed troubles over the reunification of Ireland too.

And ignore the will of more than half of the electorate? Political suicide for a huge number of currently well payed MPs.

I was asked about possibility, not likelihood.

KonradLaw

Being in the EU is not a rule, it's a choice. As has just been very effectively demonstrated.

Blackmailing a population who has voted democratically to leave will do wonders for anti-EU sentiment around the rest of Europe.

If you leave club that provides certain benefits you can't expect to retain those benefits. This isn't blackmailing. British made their choice. Voting democratically doesn't mean the population is free from the consequences of those votes.

And the harder UK will get hit the less power anti-EU parties will get. Because if UK would get sweet deal what the downside of leaving for everybody?

I keep hearing this "German car exports" argument.
What do you think will happen if non-UK cars become a bit more expensive? I guess us Brits will turn to all those UK car companies and buy an Austin Metro or an MG Rover 75.

The EU isn't going to rush through an unprecedented one-sided trade deal with the UK (free trade without free movement) just to give a marginal increase in profit to the German car industry. That's not how the EU works. Each country must agree to the treaty and Germany just don't have the clout that people think they do.
Especially since a treaty that gives such huge benefits to the UK would be the EU sending out the message that leaving is easy.

While some people are crowing over "taking our country back", I feel like I've had my country stolen away from me. I'm a citizen of Europe and have always viewed the other member states in the same way as the differences between Yorkshire and London, or England and Scotland. At all these scales, we all have our own culture and we all argue about who is best, but we're all on the same team in the end. And now we're not.

Serious question: Does the UK even have any proper car manufactures that aren't owned by foreign companies?

DiGiKerot

Young People that never knew it any different and literally cant imagine it any other way or a better way since birth voted for status quo ... news at 11

I'm sick of this damn argument. The world today isn't the same by any metric as the world of fourty years ago. Experience of the world prior to the EU is completely irrelevant at the point.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It would be easy to be super snide right now and be all like "Well, see ya" but I feel bad even for those who voted Leave. Wonder how long it'll take for people to realise what they have done. Scottland will be super pissed off, bet a lot of people voted to stay because of the EU and now this.
As much as this will harm the UK financials, it will also probably have an impact on european markets, so.....yeah.

Fuck.

GamingKaiju

Well we're out if the EU I honestly never thought that it would happen.

The UK is currently fairly factored and I think leaders inside the UK need to come together and try to sort our drifferences and unite to make our country (UK) stronger.

The biggest take-away from all this is that the dis-connect between politications and the people and Europe.

So Scotland is wanting to seperate from the UK whilst the UK is leaving the EU. I wonder if another vote is had I bet it turns out drifferently.

Ianan

Genuinely ashamed of this country. Seriously, can I actually move to Scotland if they vote for independence, or would I have had to be living there for like at least 5 years?

Maledict

Nope. She has no control over an independence referendum. She can hold one on her own but it holds no legal duty, and would not be recognised internationally - same as Catalonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom