• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobabe

It would be easy to be super snide right now and be all like "Well, see ya" but I feel bad even for those who voted Leave. Wonder how long it'll take for people to realise what they have done. Scottland will be super pissed off, bet a lot of people voted to stay because of the EU and now this.
As much as this will harm the UK financials, it will also probably have an impact on european markets, so.....yeah.

Fuck.

I'm feeling like I'd like to see people reap the fruits of this decision. If those places that receive the most EU funding (like Cornwall) struggle then fuck them - they'll get what they deserve.

Shiggy

Being in the EU is not a rule, it's a choice. As has just been very effectively demonstrated.

Blackmailing a population who has voted democratically to leave will do wonders for anti-EU sentiment around the rest of Europe.

Well, population in EU countries couldn't care less about how we treat the UK after the Brexit. Why should they? Not their problem, the Brits voted for it.

And how is it blackmailing? Either you accept the rules to enjoy certain economic benefits, or you decide not to. That's what it's like for all countries in the EEA.

dealer-

Fuck yea London and Scotland. Let's leave this fucking mess to itself!

Bristol too please!

1368_2.jpg

chills

Great film, might give it a rewatch tonight.

StayDead

"Meanwhile half of British trade is with the EU, but only 11% of EU trade is with Britain."

This is going to work out great.

This is awful, but reading it in Onslow's voice made it funnier. The first time I've even thought about laughing today.

I feel totally disenfranchised more than I even was before with the political systems o the world. My vote as a young, left wing voter in the UK is just worthless. I can't even vote in a referendum and make a damn difference. Boomers are just going to keep booming and I feel powerless politically.

Scotland cannot join the EU on it's own. Scotland has aboslutley no legal power to hold another referendum. the only option is has would be to declare unilateral secession from the UK - and there is absolutely no way that the EU would recognise Scotland under those circumstances.
Thank-you for informing us what we can and cannot do.

Toss me an address or PO Box and I'll send you a postcard with the first Scottish stamp :)

I'm just hoping "Britain first" won't become "British first" and then "strangers out" and so on...

The leaders behind the Brexit I've seen on the British TV are... well they seem angry after a lot of people :/

(Nigel Farage... didn't knew him before)

Hasney

Why would Republic of Ireland not want Northern Ireland?

The country costs money rather than makes it and by a large margin, their deficit is in the billions. If they were just breaking even or even just making a small loss, ROI would snap them up, but having them would really weaken their economy.

yagal

Can the Queen do something? Allowing Scotland to join the EU without leaving the UK for example.

Or

Can Scotland join the EU without leaving the UK?

Please educate me :)

Lime

Hey Britain, you remember how your labor regulations and unions were completely busted after Thatcher? Guess who helped fix that shit and pushed for better worker rights.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Being in the EU is not a rule, it's a choice. As has just been very effectively demonstrated.

Blackmailing a population who has voted democratically to leave will do wonders for anti-EU sentiment around the rest of Europe.

Okay, so you want to have the joys of being an EU member, without the burdens of being an EU member? Got it. And how do you think that's going to work?

It's their choice to leave , indeed. And it's not going to be a pretty ceremony where everyone is laughing. Want to leave ? Want to stop providing money ? The leaving negociations are not going to be " Yeah , sure"

Especially when you raising that flag for many years and used that to ge a free pass on economic trades .. The rest of Eu don't have a short memory span.

I'm not saying that it's ok to "punish".. But if you don't want to follow the rules of an union, then don't be surprised that people are not going to be nice about it

Septic360

Banned
Young People that never knew it any different and literally cant imagine it any other way or a better way since birth voted for status quo ... news at 11
Also when you are old You will also make political decision that your future children have to live with.

Yeah and hopefully by then there won't be a massive disparity between what the youth at the time want and what I want. And hopefully then, the older generation can come together to think of how it would actually affect the future generations.

AHA-Lambda

Trust Sky News to go for the inflammatory questioning

"If you say Scotland is forward looking, do you mean England is backwards?"

azyless

Chû Totoro;208210603 said:
I'm just hoping "Britain first" won't become "British first" and then "strangers out" and so on...
You haven't followed much UK politics these past couple of years have you

Maledict

Thank-you for informing us what we can and cannot do.

Toss me an address or PO Box and I'll send you a postcard with the first Scottish stamp :)

My other half is Scottish and we spend large amounts of time up there. I'm not being mean - this is literally legal fact. Matters of constitutional basis are decided by Westminster. Legally, Scotland could hold 50 referendums and they don't mean anything - unless Westminster agrees they do.

And no country in the EU or the west would recognise Scotland as an independent country under those circumstances (putin might to cause trouble!).

Again, this is not being mean or unpleasant - it's just the legal fact.

Vagabundo

Leavers regret. I think you'll have a good amount of it. People having second thoughts would only be natural. Too late now folks.

Why would Republic of Ireland not want Northern Ireland?

Because it is an economic and political nightmare.

I can see it continuing to run from stormount and everyone voting in the presidential elections though. some sort of United Ireland with two governments.

Two days ago I was offered a position in the video game industry in London. I was ecstatic, It's a dream job. Today I don't know what to do and If I ever will accept the offer.

Par Score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom