• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hystzen

Can the Queen do something? Allowing Scotland to join the EU without leaving the UK for example.

Or

Can Scotland join the EU without leaving the UK?

Please educate me :)

The Queen has no say what so ever she just has a job of waving and sitting down to show Britain still has royalty

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was proud to see my home town (Bristol) vote remain as a majority. Sadly where I live now on the Isle of Wight was a huge majority for leave.

Makes me feel I really need to go back :(

avaya

Sturgeon announced as part of her speech that she'd been in talks with Sadiq Khan (Mayor of London) over moving towards Independence and remaining in the EU.

I guess the idea is that London and Scotland would be the "continuity UK" while the rest of the country is cast off into the Atlantic.

Yes! I would support this. We would be the Hong Kong.

Romez

I don't get how my city, Birmingham was basically 50/50, with Leave winning slightly, WTF.

Second biggest city in the UK
Second most diverse city in the UK
Youngest major city in Europe

I don't get it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

That's... kurt. It really looks like there's not going to be any attempt made at stalling the situation, let alone reverting it. Coupled with the Northern Ireland and Scottish situation, it looks like the UK is going to undergo some severe shock theraphy.

Putin is heating up the Cold War and flexing muscles in the East and the fucking UK population thinks they should lie in bed with literal racists to leave and weaken one of the great collective efforts against Putin's aggressiveness.

Dumbest fucking shit I've seen in my life time.
Putin has been funding, promoting and training Eurosceptic groups for years. A good chunk of RT is nothing but anti-EU propaganda.

StayDead

The Queen cannot get involved in this.

Technically doesn't she still have the power to dissolve parliament or has that been removed now?

I'm not the biggest fan of the monarchy, but if Queenie could dissolve parliament, completely rebuild parliament from the ground up and overturn this decision I don't think I'd mind too much.

The British people should never have been given a vote on this. Most people are just too stupid to understand that this vote is one of the most important in our history. All the leave voters who did it for kicks or did it because the idea was cool and they're not educated have really messed up everything.

*Splinter

Sturgeon announced as part of her speech that she'd been in talks with Sadiq Khan (Mayor of London) over moving towards Independence and remaining in the EU.

I guess the idea is that London and Scotland would be the "continuity UK" while the rest of the country is cast off into the Atlantic.
Oh god please let this happen. Everyone gets what they voted for, everyone "wins"

The country costs money rather than makes it and by a large margin, their deficit is in the billions. If they were just breaking even or even just making a small loss, ROI would snap them up, but having them would really weaken their economy.
Sadly true. I don't live there anymore because there's no future for me in the homeland.

Fritz

I keep hearing this "German car exports" argument.
What do you think will happen if non-UK cars become a bit more expensive? I guess us Brits will turn to all those UK car companies and buy an Austin Metro or an MG Rover 75.

The EU isn't going to rush through an unprecedented one-sided trade deal with the UK (free trade without free movement) just to give a marginal increase in profit to the German car industry. That's not how the EU works. Each country must agree to the treaty and Germany just don't have the clout that people think they do.
Especially since a treaty that gives such huge benefits to the UK would be the EU sending out the message that leaving is easy.

While some people are crowing over "taking our country back", I feel like I've had my country stolen away from me. I'm a citizen of Europe and have always viewed the other member states in the same way as the differences between Yorkshire and London, or England and Scotland. At all these scales, we all have our own culture and we all argue about who is best, but we're all on the same team in the end. And now we're not.

when all those foreign millionaires leave, how many Brits are in the market for a new luxury car anyways?

Marine Le Pen's current profile pic:

xpcAU0U.png

Nope. She has no control over an independence referendum. She can hold one on her own but it holds no legal duty, and would not be recognised internationally - same as Catalonia.

Edinburgh Agreement, only the Prime Minister can sanction it, and as Cameron is leaving then whoever takes his place may get sick and tired of Scottish Politicians banging on that they may grant another. I don't want that though, so much division already from the first independence referendum.

I reckon we will rejoin Europe down the line, new agreements etc, we will join and it will be claimed to be a great victory for us Brits.

I'll just put this here:

13466454_10157259651115713_6930440323596134111_n.jpg
Awesome

cls5rwsweaanejs.jpglaevul0.jpg

Apologies if this was posted already.
Nice.

Two days ago I was offered a position in the video game industry in London. I was ecstatic, It's a dream job. Today I don't know what to do and If I ever will accept the offer.
Sure. Don't let this bother you too much. There is way too much panic. Just leading to more panic and it will all end in crisis. The scared people fucked themselves over.
Time to be brave now.

boswell22

if there's one thing old people are good at its fucking up the future of the next generation.

I hope we can live up thier standards when its our turn to fuck things up.

What we should do is stop older people voting. While we are at it lets stop the uneducated, the poor. I am sure there are some others we can choose. I voted remain but this shit coming out now shows why people voted leave.

You haven't followed much UK politics these past couple of years have you

No not at all... sorry :/

My remark may be completely stupid or irrelevant but since I 'don't know the guy and the country's political situation I don't know what king of message some right wings politicians may try to pass.

dealer-

Hey, independence bros, I'd just like to point out that we here in Leeds voted for remain too, so take us with you?

Brondonleeland. It's coming along nicely.

My man.

Proud to live in Bristol and to see Bristol and Bath be so open and tolerant, and very staunchly remain. If London wants to fuck off and do its own thing, please take us with you?

Yeah, it at least we can take some solace from this mess. Really good to see an overwhelming majority voting for remain in this region.

kharma45

Technically doesn't she still have the power to dissolve parliament or has that been removed now?

I'm not the biggest fan of the monarchy, but if Queenie could dissolve parliament, completely rebuild parliament from the ground up and overturn this decision I don't think I'd mind too much.

The British people should never have been given a vote on this. Most people are just too stupid to understand that this vote is one of the most important in our history. All the leave voters who did it for kicks or did it because the idea was cool and they're not educated have really messed up everything.

She does yes but that would create a constitutional crisis. She will never do it without consent of the PM.

my6765490

Wait, crap LONDON is going to remain in the EU, how does that work? Would my sister (International student studying in Bath) have to go through 2 immigration stages (Home -> London, London ->UK)?

El Topo

What we should do is stop older people voting. While we are at it lets stop the uneducated, the poor. I am sure there are some others we can choose. I voted remain but this shit coming out now shows why people voted leave.

No. It's democracy for everyone, not for people you like or whose opinion you appreciate.

Lime

You know you fucked up really bad when Donald Trump and Marie Le Pen and Gert Wilders and literal neo-nazis are cheering the outcome.

What the fuck were you thinking Britain? Christ almighty.

As a German that moved to Glasgow last September, I am concerned about my future here. I really enjoy living here, so that uncertainty if I can stay sucks quite a bit. At least Cameron said that there'd be no "immediate" change for EU citizens... before resigining a minute later. Oh well, at least about 2 years, I guess.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't get how my city, Birmingham was basically 50/50, with Leave winning slightly, WTF.

Second biggest city in the UK
Second most diverse city in the UK
Youngest major city in Europe

I don't get it.

Yeah the Birmingham vote really surprised me. I can only assume there are a lot of racists not happy with the diversity in Birmingham?

StayDead

I really want this now. Please make this happen, somehow, and some way.

oti

Banned
Merkel: Stay calm, EU is important for the globalization, to prevent war, we need to stay together (don't even think about it, Netherlands).

Hasney

As did Merseyside. We want in (or out?) too.

Brondonleeland. It's coming along nicely.

Honestly, if the London thing gains any traction, I'm getting involved in grass roots politics and try to get Leeds as well as other areas that wanted to remain in on that. I feel something like this could be so important that I would feel bad merely just going out and voting and not doing a lot more to make this happen.

El-Suave

Being in the EU is not a rule, it's a choice. As has just been very effectively demonstrated.

Blackmailing a population who has voted democratically to leave will do wonders for anti-EU sentiment around the rest of Europe.

While pampering those who want to leave and show you can have your cake and eat it won't enchourage other countries? Leave means leave...

daxy

You know you fucked up really bad when Donald Trump and Marie Le Pen and Gert Wilders and literal neo-nazis are cheering the outcome.

What the fuck were you thinking Britain? Christ almighty.

'Who needs experts? It's time regular folk take control of the UK; they know best'

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I think people need to realize what is happening all over the world. These revolutions and voting to fracture itself is happening all over that are playing right into the hands of something far more dangerous than just racism and fear.

take notes people, a war is brewing. look at the world players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom