• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hystzen

Labour using this as excuse for getting rid of Corbyn the dude had legit reasons for remain heck his point of view what locked in my remain vote.

KooopaKid

Banned
Wow, did not see this coming. So, what next?

1 - Multinationals will backtrack for their threats to leave and announce their negotiations
2 - UK will manage to negotiate essentially equal deals directly
3 - Stock and property market will be turbulent for a while
4 - EU will be under even more pressure, federalisation is done for now
5 - In the end, both UK and world economy will be fine

Those are my bets.

My bets as well.

Hydrargyrus

I don't know what to say. Maybe I'm a little dumb thinking in a huge, strong and joined EU, because while I'm getting older, I've started feeling more like a part of this "community" instead an isolated nationality.

Well, It's their choice, so good luck UK.
For the rest of european brothers, I still think that we'll be better together.

Regardless of what deal we get, it is unlikely to be quick. The EU just don't do quick, due to all the checks and balances that generally require only a small disagreement to bring everything to a halt.
Ironically, the checks and balances that stop a Federal Europe from forming or Turkey from joining are the same ones that will harm us now.

I think it's going to last less than 2 years.. that's quick given the scale.
Most governements want to get this over with and resume business as usual given their other economical problems. It's not like Britain is in a key position to negociate and can drag the thing out like they did the last 3 times.
No way this isn't solved fast. 2 years max conting the moment the next prime minister send the "leave " note to europe

Shiggy

Ok, so, if I understand this correctly, article 50 takes 2 years to negotiate, which won't be starting until October, so basically for the next 27 months, I can come and go as I please to Europe without needing any visa nonsense?

It's gonna start before October for sure.

openrob

Britain just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about European culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Europe, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the European community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase British goods or have any type of trade agreement, nor will they allow Brits to travel and have huge piss ups abroad. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Britain has alienated an entire population with this move.

British people, publicly apologize and cancel the Brexit or you can kiss your international relevance goodbye

Maledict

1 - Multinationals will backtrack for their threats to leave and announce their negotiations

Those are my bets.

Your bets are already wrong. People are literally posting in this thread about them being told to relocate. It has already happened, and will happen - London cannot be the centre for EU financial trading outside of Europe. Frankfurt will absolutely gobble that up, and the EU will ensure that happens.

Companies are *already* planning to move - this isn't a theoretical thing. It's happening.

oti

Banned
All of this because Cameron gambled and lost.
Cameron gambled with the future of an entire nation and lost.

Think about that for a second.

AHA-Lambda

Ic38ANJ.png

XD

GHG

I don't know how much the rest of you know about European culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Europe, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the European community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase British goods or have any type of trade agreement, nor will they allow Brits to travel and have huge piss ups abroad. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Britain has alienated an entire population with this move.

British people, publicly apologize and cancel the Brexit or you can kiss your international relevance goodbye

This actually works perfectly for this scenario in so many ways.

OCD Guy

Pound tanking too!

Anyone still think brexit was a good idea?

Yes, the people that think it will only be white English in the country.

But they're likely the majority of people that voted. What I mean is that the majority of people that voted out was probably fueled by their belief that there are too many foreigners ruining the country.

Honestly people that told me they were voting out was so "the fucking foreigners could fuck off, and stop taking our jobs"

Plum

You know a decision's bad when a dated copypasta is actually accurate for once. This is as absurd as the "300 confirmed kills" guy actually existing.

kiguel182

Your bets are already wrong. People are literally posting in this thread about them being told to relocate. It has already happened, and will happen - London cannot be the centre for EU financial trading outside of Europe. Frankfurt will absolutely gobble that up, and the EU will ensure that happens.

Companies are *already* planning to move - this isn't a theoretical thing. It's happening.

Also, EU is responding with severity to the UK leaving. It seems getting "good deals" will not come easy or come at all.

I don't think EU is going to give everything the UK wants with nothing in return.

Molemitts

Labour using this as excuse for getting rid of Corbyn the dude had legit reasons for remain heck his point of view what locked in my remain vote.

Absolutely. To blame this on Corbyn is insane. I hope he thrashes all the challengers in any leadership contest.

back up:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

105k sigs in a short period is impressive.

edit: 106k...lol

It is gaining a lot of traction, amazing fast really.

Of course it probably wont do anything, all they will have to do is bring it up and say "We arent doing that" and that will be the end of it. Makes the whole system pointless, we recently had one for legalisation of weed and even though that was a big success votes wise it was just instantly dismissed.

Nokterian

XS5LK.gif

Morat

Banned
All of this because Cameron gambled and lost.
Cameron gabled with the future of an entire nation and lost.

Think about that for a second.

This is accurate. Whoever else is blames and caught in the fallout of this insane decision, it was DAVID PIGFUCKER CAMERON who promised a referendum to gain some votes from the far right an outflank his own in the last election.

Chittagong

Gold Member

I have many friends in the London banking sector, and while they all were told before the referendum they'd definitely leave for Frankfurt and other locations, their tone is very different today. Today they are 'believing in London and exploring ways to stay'.

At least, the four big banks I know.

Brilliant.

I read a stat that 70% of Labour voters voted for remain, so why should Corbyn go, etc

BUT on the fact that Corybn hasn't properly expanded the reach of the party, that's a bit of a low barometer. Didn't hugely bring anything to this fight, or any fights before.

Bring on the challenge. Hopefully the fight ahead brings out better candidates.

StayDead

to be fair, London isn't the only place in Britain. I think this vote quite clearly shows that the majority of the rest of the UK (barring scotland) is fed up.

They're fed up with Westminster though, not the EU. Westminster is the problem with those areas. Voting to leave the EU has fucked them even harder.

Mifune

Mehmber
Great news! I bet on the market going crazy if Brexit won, sad to hear that this will cause suffering for people but that is how capitalism works yo! I also talk with family in the UK and they voted leave so glad that they got what they wanted even if the road ahead is uncertain. In the meantime time to buy the dip or just wait out for more panic, gotta love this kind of markets.

Just a reminder for people conversing with this guy.

Honey Bunny

Those are my bets.

Pretty much.

spekkeh

Banned

Well done.

Saya

This is accurate. Whoever else is blames and caught in the fallout of this insane decision, it was DAVID PIGFUCKER CAMERON who promised a referendum to gain some votes from the far right an outflank his own in the last election.

Yep, and this will be his legacy. The referendum and the following Scottish independence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom