• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get how my city, Birmingham was basically 50/50, with Leave winning slightly, WTF.

Second biggest city in the UK
Second most diverse city in the UK
Youngest major city in Europe

I don't get it.

Leicester is in a similar position in that only 51% voted remain. The city's extremely diverse but the surrounding counties aren't.

Nokterian

*chuckle*

brexito9sd3.png

entremet

So regarding immigration, it is for more restrictive immigration controls a la the US?

Is there concern about immigrants taking employment?

Is lack of assimilation amongst some Muslim communities in the UK a concern here?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Worked for Singapore.

London in itself voted for remain by an overwhelming majority. The lives and livelyhoods of everyone in it and the home counties around it are being uprooted and likely destroyed in some cases because of the outcome of this vote.

This is the only situation where I can see a real democracy.
To be fair, Singapore was kicked out of Malaysia rather than opting for independence.

Baleoce

So now the whole UK legal system has to be reworked right? In a relatively short time frame. And who gets to rework it?

Ashes

Banned
People talking about foreign exchange currency always makes me laugh at their ignorance no matter how bad their situation is. I mean the current rate is barely below what it was a week ago (1.380 24/06/16 against 1.406 16/06/16), while I understand their fears about job security maybe talking about something you clearly don't understand shouldn't be something you should be doing.

Dude it's tanking. Nobody reasonably buying GBP. Somebody is shoring it up. I dunno who. But guess it might be BoE, ECB, or any number of central banks.

Maledict

It will happen and with Boris in charge it will be a very easy yes win, no one will embolden the Scots more than him.

I hate tpo keep going on about this but unless Boris Johnson agrees it it doesn't matter. The referendum wouldn't have any legal powers, wouldn't be run by the electoral commision, and internationally wouldn't lead to anything.

I wish it would - I'm all in favour of the Scotland + London exit plan! But the reality is constitutional issues are decided at Westminster, and no-one will agree to it. Referendums without the central governments backing don't mean anything - ask spain.

OCD Guy

People talking about foreign exchange currency always makes me laugh at their ignorance no matter how bad their situation is. I mean the current rate is barely below what it was a week ago (1.380 24/06/16 against 1.406 16/06/16), while I understand their fears about job security maybe talking about something you clearly don't understand shouldn't be something you should be doing.

It seems like a lot of people are showing their ignorance, simply jumping on the bandwagon and complaining at the decision when they don't really understand themselves what the real implications are of this decision.

Also I'm not sure if it's sarcasm or not or whether people actually believe that London is joining the EU lol.

What's really laughable are those on Sky News celebrating at the decision to leave. They don't even know why they're happy or again what the implications of their decision are. They just think it means England will be "white" again.

"lol why'd you keep calling us racists though?"

Edit... sorry it was a joke I missed? (it seems) I'm lost -_-

This was the post before editing:

No I've asked if there was a sort of trend in UK's public opinion because Pro Brexit politicians have some very borderline sayings.

And the post I've quoted is (if I'm understanding it properly) racist imo. But maybe you could explain to me why I'm the problem here?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I simply cannot believe that just yesterday I was having drinks at a local bar popular among British professionals with everybody happily toasting "to Europe".

This is fucking surreal. I cannot imagine their faces right now.

The terrorists are legit winning

People are rejecting the ideal of a diverse society

How do we even reverse this and move forward? It we elect Trump here in America...

kmag

I study at a top Russell Group Uni and the Chancellor just emailed us about the uncertainty of the impact, especially alongside the UUK.

What could happen to UK Universities?
I imagine fees will shoot up and research will be cut back as the current funding structures are pan European and it's an area the uk does really well in

Par Score

David Cameron you fucking idiot.

I feel like this can't be stated enough.

This whole shitshow is on his head, a clever political ploy meant to quiet down UKIP and some of his backbenchers, and now he gets to swan off into the sunset while the rest of us burn.

Maledict

Leicester is in a similar position in that only 51% voted remain. The city's extremely diverse but the surrounding counties aren't.

Numerous BMe groups voted for Brexit - we saw the same in London. It's not a simple "white = brexit" here. Remain's strongest voting group in england were, after all, white middle class.

Ashes

Banned
So regarding immigration, it is for more restrictive immigration controls a la the US?

Is there concern about immigrants taking employment?

Is lack of assimilation amongst some Muslim communities in the UK a concern here?

Looks like Muslims voted it too.

RangerX

Banned
Martin McGuinness was just on saying that there should be a border poll and referendum in the north as membership of the EU is referred to in the good friday agreement. The UK is in serious trouble if/when Scotland hold their referendum. Also the working class leavers are in for a serious wake up call when the market fundamentalists in the tory party have their way. I I'm pretty worried for my own country Ireland because of the amount of trade we do with the UK.

• It's a small change if you look at the number but it affects a billion things and dollars floating around -> Huge fuck-up
• Downward trend or weaker status-quo is another factor

Harmen

Yeah, I don't think the other 27 countries are going to make things easy for the UK and the transition won't be pretty at all.

What a surprise, people don't like seeing their towns and cities being turned into third world slums.

These places you speak of actually receive funding from the EU, now they won't because they were convinced by racists like Farage whose campaign was solely based on immigration. Wales just said that they want the "promise" of the government that "not a penny will be lost" to be upheld, since most of their money came from EU. You want to know who was turning their towns into third world slums? The actual government in charge. Let's now see if the government funds what they wouldn't but the EU would.

Oh, let's not forget the part where Farage also admitted he lied to the British public about NHS funding.

Well that escalated. And I'm rather concerned.
I have almost no English folk to speak to about this at work right now.
I wonder what the future will really hold now that this has come to pass...

Hystzen

I feel like this can't be stated enough.

This whole shitshow is on his head, a clever political ploy meant to quiet down UKIP and some of his backbenchers, and now he gets to swan off into the sunset while the rest of us burn.

It kind of a rock and hard place for the bastard really. He refuse referendum gets called weak and scared non stop , he called it nothing a small chance he be fucked hard and will leave over it. I don't like the guy but he was fucked from day one he should just took the name calling and weak shit until his term was done.

geordiemp

Nah, I got made redundant 4 months ago as at 1.45 we could not afford to export into EU our UK manufactured goods. Stating new job next week so...

We could compete at 1.15 and 1.2 was good as well. So many jobs lost at 1.4.

Hopefully at 1.25 UK can now make things rather than a nation of service industry and bankers.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
When UK come for help from the EU, I sincerely hope they re-enact this scene:
BvedpQA.gif

Especially if it's a politician from the Leave-campaign.

Chû Totoro;208211716 said:
Edit... sorry it was a joke I missed? (it seems) I'm lost -_-

This was the post before editing:

No I've asked if there was a sort of trend in UK's public opinion because Pro Brexit politicians have some very borderline sayings.

And the post I've quoted is (if I'm understanding it properly) racist imo. But maybe you could explain to me why I'm the problem here?

Many pro-brexitors use similar rhetoric to that quoted post and then get upset when they get labeled as racists lmao, it wasn't aimed at you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom