• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shade being thrown on my twitter timeline is the only thing keeping me alive right now

NW9rGG0.jpg

INycUn3.jpg

DXhkLdq.jpg

gi6ibsv.jpg

0a8LakK.jpg

1eWqKx4.jpg

nNpWrS8.jpg

9jhyM6S.jpg

GHG

Yet 90% of this thread is 'oh no we're fucked'.

This is GAF. This is the Internet.

Did you not see the reactions when iterative consoles were first talked about? It's all fine and dandy now with the exception of a few people who have chosen to stick their flag in the sand.

Maledict

Corbyn had the most reasonable, realistic view of the EU going, and campaigned on that sensible position.

He's no fanatic, he accepts the pros and cons of the EU but felt on balance we we were better in.

The PLP will look for any excuse to oust him, but the members wont have it.

The members are already in revolt according to labour party headquarters. Corbyn's base is the single group that was most in favour of the EU - white, middle class London liberals. I am not convinced he survives.

Plum

Sölf;208213290 said:
Can someone explain that Cornwall thing to me please?

Voted leave despite being the county with some of the most EU spending going towards it. Now it wants that funding back from... somewhere.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sölf;208213290 said:
Cornwall is poor and receives a lot of money from the EU because of it.

Cornwall voted overwhelmingly in favour of leave.

Cornwall County Council are now asking Westminster to guarantee that they would get the same amount of money from Westminster that they would have gotten from the EU by staying.

BBboy20

It's been a few hours and my brain is still stuck on the incredibly literate thought of "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck" :|

It's a minor saving grace that my area largely voted remain the same way I did, but I'm thoroughly miserable. It's made even worse by the fact my close family are all celebrating talking about making us great again and which repulsive figure they want in government because they believe the masks they've been wearing and the lies they've been spouting while I have to keep biting my tongue because it was joked in a not-entirely-joking way that any remain voters wouldn't be welcome in the house (and I can't afford to move out), so they don't actually know that was how I voted ¬_¬

I guess all I can do now is cross my fingers and hope for the best.
And hope that as we begin the process of replacing our government maybe we can patch it up into something slightly better than the rubbish we have at the moment.
... I just fear that the government we get as a result could be even more unpleasant based on all the hatred and fear they've whipped up that will presumably be the basis for the new one x_x
image.php

OCD Guy

If this is so bad for everyone, why the fuck did people vote like this?

I'd say the majority of people voting out were votes based on emotion, fuelled by racism.

The ironic thing is it won't suddenly make the UK "white". Skin colour alone has no relevance on whether somone is English. The same way you don't have to be white to be American.

Many of the immigrants that originally came to the UK years ago have several generations in the country, many of which are technically British. This won't effect those people.

I'll wonder how funny they find their vote when the Jeremy Kyle special guests get their JSA reduced.

But it's ok because all the jobs the coloured people took will be free.....So maybe they can find work now.

Well had the issue that he was meant to work with Cameron who could not even be arsed talking to him like a normal person. The joining of parties was half assed and bitter to help the Remain campaign. Kind hard look enthusiastic when you know Dave still not going back you up or help in a statement or debate.

Again, a personal/idological problem, not something that should of tempered enthusiasm to at least get people out to vote.

Farage was ostrisised by everyone, but he made sure he got out there and pushed as hard as he could regardless.

Sölf

Voted leave despite being the county with some of the most EU spending going towards it. Now it wants that spending back from... somewhere.

Cornwall County Council are now asking Westminster to guarantee that they would get the same amount of money from Westminster that they would have gotten from the EU.

Rofl. Well, yeah, that will probably turn out well, right? Thanks!

Bashtee

The UK just burned a lot of bilion $ and bridges. I actually expect the EU to make an example of the UK: you leave, you loose. Just to make sure other countries don't get any funny ideas.

I hope I'm wrong.

SomTervo

I will bet Aussie dollars on it, they are going sideways so still good.
I am amazed at how little people outside banking understand just how much self interest there is inside banking. They look after themselves before anyone else gets a cut shareholders included and going to Frankfurt would only be a glacial project when no other options were left.
their kids are in top schools they just finished building out 7 levels below their Chelsea townhouse and they fucking love London and speaking English and the country in summer and their second wife would divorce them. They aren't going anywhere. Nothing is going to change UNLESS a raft of new deals the country makes are clearly inferior, and we won't know that until 2018. Then some might pick up hiring in their eu office and slow it down in London.
We are all going to get sick of discussing this because that's all there is: discussion recrimination and people falling on swords.

Yeah, it's a privatised industry. It seeks a profit.

IMO banks should be nationalised. What benefit is there to somebody holding your money only if they can keep you in debt to them at the same time? And these same people fucking up the housing and mortgage landscape? They should be in competition with other countries' banks, not their own customers.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yet 90% of this thread is 'oh no we're fucked'.

probably because this thread (and social media at large) are young(er) and liberal and there's way more uncertainty about 10 years from now than 10 minutes.

look at the stats. "Fuck you, got mine" won.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pretty much this.

Exactly. The reality is that (from a trade standpoint) if a beneficial situation exists for all parties under EU rule, it makes sense to try and maintain it even with a non-EU UK.

Supply/demand and geography aren't changing after all!

AHA-Lambda

Cornwall County Council are now asking Westminster to guarantee that they would get the same amount of money from Westminster that they would have gotten from the EU by staying.

Fucks sake o_O

Zafir

Not surprised about Corbyn. People were unhappy about him being leader anyway, but his participation in the remain campaign wasn't particularly great. While refreshing, his bluntness during the campaign was not what it needed. He also seemed very half arsed about it, it was fairly clear that he didn't himself feel very strongly about remaining and was doing it solely because he had to as the leader.

Labour in general were mostly a disappointment in the campaign, and the results proved it, so many Labour constituencies voted Leave despite the MP's backing Remain.
CltS51EWgAArJt3

Cornwall voted 57-43 to leave

*facepalm*

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So does mean immigration is no longer an issue?
No, because the groups who are interested in getting us out of the EU generally have a broader anti-immigration policy in general. Farage himself presumably won't be happy until he gets to stand at an armed immigration point in Calais personally deciding whether any potential migrants look like the 'good' or the 'bad' kind.

AGoodODST

Sölf;208213290 said:

Cornwall receives £60 million a year from the EU. Cornwall voted to Leave. Cornwall demands to still receive £60 million a year (from an EU deal or the UK government).

The height of stupidity basically. Just like Wales.

Crispy75

Corbyn is only vulnerable because he didn't realise how and why he was elected. It's not white, working class votes that powered him - it's London liberals.

Labour has been ignoring its traditional base for decades now. It's not a ridiculous notion to consider the possibility of UKIP doing an end run around Labour just like the SNP did in Scotland.

PJV3

Corbyn had the most reasonable, realistic view of the EU going, and campaigned on that sensible position.

He's no fanatic, he accepts the pros and cons of the EU but felt on balance we we were better in.

The PLP will look for any excuse to oust him, but the members wont have it.

Blairite and centrists could win the party but they only want to compromise with Tories. It isn't going to work like 97, the base will simply piss off.

The only chance that works is the country being in ruins after Boris fucks it all up.

I don't like this narrative that older people's votes don't count as much because they have less time left, it's childish, the flip side is older people have kids and care deeply about their futures so actually one could argue if you are doing the maths this way that an old vote could be worth more than a young one because it frequently includes dependents who are too young to vote. But the fact is, for better or worse, votes are about equal.
So look somewhere else to blame a decision you dislike. Ageism is immaturity. Either that or kill your grandparents because their life experience counts for nothing and they have little time left anyway, right?

Drencrom

Hilarious and saddening

lol at all the shitting on older people as if they're all dumb and don't know anything

They voted for this mess. It's not even debatable that they know fuck all at this point. But of course I should trust in their 'wisdom' considering most of them will be dead while carry on their shit storm based in ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom