• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

But that's not really true, is it, otherwise you wouldn't have 9 out of 10 economists in agreement that Brexit will be bad for the UK's future economic prospects.

Nobody can predict the future, most people asked had a stake in Leave or remain anyway.

Everybody making a prediction had something to gain or loose themselves....way of the world.

Even IMF and the like want Britain to keep the 3rd leg on the wobbly EU table, can France and Germany really keep the rest of EU afloat ? And more to the point, should they have to.

Its time for free trade and countries to stand on their own to feet. Butter mountains should be things of the past.

FyreWulff

That seems like it would bias the vote towards 'remain', right? Neither side winning would be a 'remain' win.

yes, but votes like this, you'd usually prefer a convincing win rather than putting your country's future in the hands of the small swing vote much like we do with amendments over here.

Arnie7

Banned
At least we getting dank memes out of it. Right? RIGHT?

2amUMq7.jpg

rHVIHLy.jpg

Tethur

Wow, did not see this coming. So, what next?

1 - Multinationals will backtrack for their threats to leave and announce their negotiations
2 - UK will manage to negotiate essentially equal deals directly
3 - Stock and property market will be turbulent for a while
4 - EU will be under even more pressure, federalisation is done for now
5 - In the end, both UK and world economy will be fine

Those are my bets.

Agree with 3, 4, 5

1 Some will leave, In the next two years a lot of jobs will be moved abroad, most will not publicize it.
2 In the end leaving will not be the catastrophic but it is going to hurt. While they won't jeopardise trade with Britain the EU will play it pretty hard in the end, even if it hurts their own wallets (Politics beats math)

Nobody can predict the future, most people asked had a stake in Leave or remain anyway.

Even IMF and the like want Britain to keep the 3rd leg on the wobbly EU table, can France and Germany really keep the rest of EU afloat ? And more to the point, should they have to.

Its time for free trade and countries to stand on their own to feet. Butter mountains should be things of the past.

It's kinda hard to an economist to not have a 'stake in Remain' (or Leave) because their expertise dictates their response. Most said this would be a terrible idea.

As for 'free trade', wait wut

StayDead

If this is so bad for everyone, why the fuck did people vote like this?

The uneducated, poor, and old who didn't really understand the outcome and how this would effect us voted to leave. You also have reports of people voting leave thinking it wouldn't matter. Complete morons. Anecdotally I know this to be true. In my work (which is about 20 people), one person voted to leave and she admitted she didn't fully understand the gravity and voted to stop immigration.

Lime

lol at all the shitting on older people as if they're all dumb and don't know anything

I'd be shitting on anyone regardless of age if they actually voted for what Donald Trump, Marie Le Pen, Gert Wilders, and Farage think are the best course of action.

boswell22

People who refused to learn about the UN and the EU during History class. They disrupted other students learning and talked back to teachers.

We gave those people a vote on this.

Here, here...

Only the educated can vote.......

People want democracy until they are the minority.

probably because this thread (and social media at large) are young(er) and liberal and there's way more uncertainty about 10 years from now than 10 minutes.

look at the stats. "Fuck you, got mine" won.

My main problem with the arguments is the lack of understanding of how the financial markets and exchange market works. Anyone that expected Britain to leave expected something like this happening, it was not out of the realm of possibilities it was just tied down to the result of the referendum and the reading of the market movements of the last few weeks.

I wonder what they will say once the pound bounces back to 1.4 or over or the stock markets gets on another buying rally.

Vagabundo

I'd say the majority of people voting out were votes based on emotion, fuelled by racism.

The ironic thing is it won't suddenly make the UK "white". Skin colour alone has no relevance on whether somone is English. The same way you don't have to be white to be American.

Many of the immigrants that originally came to the UK years ago have several generations in the country, many of which are technically British. This won't effect those people.

I'll wonder how funny they find their vote when the Jeremy Kyle special guests get their JSA reduced.

But it's ok because all the jobs the coloured people took will be free.....So maybe they can find work now.

Ironically many came during the good old imperial days from the empire itself.

SomTervo

Several-fold reasons

1. It's human nature to focus on outlier/minority cases. It's literally how the brain works. You need to be taught not to think 'the one in the million is likely to happen to me'. It's a survival mechanism, to keep you worrying about the worst-case scenario so you avoid it.

So the narrative 'immigrants are stealing our jobs' is easy to believe in because they are the 'deadly minority case', even though the numbers say otherwise. Same with how much money we lose to the EU. Same with how much legislative control we lose to the EU. Out loud it sounds substantial but on paper, on the figures, it's really not.

2. News Corp (Rupert Murdoch's news empire: Sky, The Sun, the Daily Mail (think I meant the Record), etc) have unfathomably huge sway on voting outcomes. Their support has literally dictated who wins or loses any vote for the past 30-35 years, 1:1. They come out with support for a party/figure/outcome, and that party/figure/outcome will win, because they have such a wide readership. One time The Sun even ran a headline 'it was The Sun wot won it' when they span/swayed a whole election.

3. Focus on a particular 'language', and do so forcefully enough, and you will capture people's minds, with or without reason and logic. So combine factors #1 and #2 above and basically you have a massive ubiquitous campaign PR that played to people's fringe fears and forcefully rammed the false logic down their throats

Plus many, many more.

lol at all the shitting on older people as if they're all dumb and don't know anything

The argument is meant to be that they don't have to live with their decision. I'm 26 and when I'm 60 I'll still be living with the ramifications of this after they're long gone.

Lime

People will only start to get angry and protest in England when their house prices and pensions plummet.

And the media and government will blame the brown/eastern-european people

Protests won't happen if the anger can be direct at some easy scapegoat narrative.

Or you can just start a war - that worked for Thatcher.

I'd be shitting on anyone regardless of age if they actually voted for what Donald Trump, Marie Le Pen, Gert Wilders, and Farage think are the best course of action.

Aye. The fact that I share a country with Geert Widlers disgusts me, the fact that I live in a country where he's the most popular politician frightens me.

DrMungo

All of this because Cameron gambled and lost.
Cameron gambled with the future of an entire nation and lost.

Think about that for a second.

reading too much kipling
"If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:"

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Nobody can predict the future with perfect accuracy, but in general I prefer to listen to people who are experts in relevant fields when making decisions, rather than ignoring them and crossing my fingers. 9 out of 10 economists in agreement is an almost unprecedented level.

boswell22

I simply cannot fathom the bigotry in this thread. People looking down on others who they deem less worthy of a vote. This democracy we hold so highly is wonderful.

TyrantII

Propaganda. Tribalism. Fear.

Right wing parties that pushed inequitable globalization that screwed the middle class have rebranded themselves to insure no accountability for stealing all that wealth. They're going after the textbook "other", "Dem brown people and eastern euros took ur jerbs!".

And it works. Because people don't want to stop rooting for their team, they don't understand economics or globalization, and they have deep seated fear and mistrust being manipulated by the very architects that structured globalization thus way.

Several-fold reasons

1. It's human nature to focus on outlier/minority cases. It's literally how the brain works. You need to be taught not to think 'the one in the million is likely to happen to me'.

So the narrative 'immigrants are stealing our jobs' is easy to believe in because they are the 'dearly minority', even though the numbers say otherwise. Same with how much money we lose to the EU. Same with how much legislative control we lose to the EU. Out loud it sounds substantial but on paper, on the figures, it's really not.

2. News Corp (Rupert Murdoch's news empire: Sky, The Sun, the Daily Mail, etc) have unfathmably huge sway on voting outcomes. Their support has literally dictated who wins or loses any vote for the past 30-35 years, 1:1. They come out with support for a party/figure/outcome, and that party/figure/outcome will win, because they have such a wide readership. One time The Sun even ran a headline 'it was The Sun wot won it' when they span/swayed a whole election.

3. Focus on a particular 'language', and do so forcefully enough, and you will capture people's minds, with or without reason and logic. So combine factors #1 and #2 above and basically you have a massive ubiquitous campaign PR that played to people's fringe fears and forcefully rammed the false logic down their throats

Plus many, many more.

The argument is meant to be that they don't have to live with their decision. I'm 26 and when I'm 60 I'll still be living with the ramifications of this after they're long gone.

The Mail isn't News Corp. It's still a satanic shit rag of the most revolting hypocrisy, so it could be, but it's not...

Angel_DvA

I'm sad you're leaving my UK bro, hope you won't suffer too much from this, now I'm sure Far-right nationalist movements across Europe are expected to capitalize on it...

No, because the groups who are interested in getting us out of the EU generally have a broader anti-immigration policy in general. Farage himself presumably won't be happy until he gets to stand at an armed immigration point in Calais personally deciding whether any potential migrants look like the 'good' or the 'bad' kind.

ShUx0nkOTlo0QNF8rCzoBaMw5SDDyf22FD1lv0PgCy8yF04EPfvXZaJcpraHAwJQeEDUUIXcAt1KfM0IFCR827Vw4CgFKmMHhzQAdzcTPZI0n7O375TnDZjEjMi2zMZ9qpHm_hYp

GHG

'national' referendums are often a complete mess. They often cover topics that are much too complex for the average joe; so you end up having a lot of misinformed voters.

So it's not possible for an intelligent and rational individual to vote leave?

Is that what you're implying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom