• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is so bad for everyone, why the fuck did people vote like this?

thumbnail.ashx

razgovor1.jpg

razgovor2.jpg

razgovor3.jpg

qKaC3K

Michael Fuchs, a vice-chairman of Angela Merkel's CDU party, has warned that the UK "is going to suffer" after voting to leave the European Union.

He told The World at One's Martha Kearney "there is no such thing as a free lunch", regarding access to the single market.

You want market access? Now you will pay just as much to the EU than before without having any say in the regulations. Good job!
(Most likely because about 55% of trade goods and services go to the EU)

DjRalford

They voted for this mess. It's not even debatable that they know fuck all at this point. But of course I should trust in their 'wisdom' considering most of them will be dead while carry on their shit storm based in ignorance.

Wow, clearly the next generation is full of wisdom judging by some posts on here. /s

geordiemp

My main problem with the arguments is the lack of understanding of how the financial markets and exchange market works. Anyone that expected Britain to leave expected something like this happening, it was not out of the realm of possibilities it was just tied down to the result of the referendum and the reading of the market movements of the last few weeks.

I wonder what they will say once the pound bounces back to 1.4 or over or the stock markets gets on another buying rally.

1.4 please no.

http://www.chartoasis.com/forex/1/gbp_eur/5_years.html

1.3 is high enough, look at past 5 years. Pound has already recovered, it should not of been close to 1.5 anyway.

I simply cannot fathom the bigotry in this thread. People looking down on others who they deem less worthy of a vote. This democracy we hold so highly is wonderful.

People looking down on others isn't because they voted leave, but because WHY they voted leave (fear, bullshit, give-me-back-my-empire).

Away from all the emotive hyperbole about idiot voters etc, it's a simple fact that immigration appears to have been the biggest issue for Leave votes, and it's a simple fact it will not magically go away because we leave the EU.

That alone is worthy of critique.

Cornwall is poor and receives a lot of money from the EU because of it.

Cornwall voted overwhelmingly in favour of leave.

Cornwall County Council are now asking Westminster to guarantee that they would get the same amount of money from Westminster that they would have gotten from the EU by staying.

How can people possibly be this stupid? It blows my mind. Literally nothing good will come out of the Brexit decision.

MrS

Banned
I'm confused on your position here. They voted Leave and want things to improve, didn't you do the same?
I am not so naive that I don't know that things are going to be very tough for a few years while we stabilise our economy and set up deals. I was laughing at the naivety of the guy thinking they're gonna get the same deal they had straight off the bat. That ok with you?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
You want market access? Now you will pay just as much to the EU than before without having any say in the regulations. Good job!
(Most likely because about 55% of trade goods and services go to the EU)
This is exactly what should happen. You want free trade? Single market comes with freedom of movement.

Shiggy

They might need to look again at the Lisbon Treaty, as they're very much wrong.

I just did, but cannot find where they are supposed to be wrong?

Article 50

1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.

A qualified majority shall be defined in accordance with Article 238(3)(b) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

5. If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.

spekkeh

Banned
I have many friends in the London banking sector, and while they all were told before the referendum they'd definitely leave for Frankfurt and other locations, their tone is very different today. Today they are 'believing in London and exploring ways to stay'.

At least, the four big banks I know.

Of course they are. All their customers need to be quiet and docile as they short themselves and covertly relocate all their assets.

Monocle

I simply cannot fathom the bigotry in this thread. People looking down on others who they deem less worthy of a vote. This democracy we hold so highly is wonderful.
If you can accept the premise that stupid and uneducated people are capable of making stupid and uneducated choices, then you're one step closer to understanding some people's outrage when democracy creates an adverse outcome.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
How can people possibly be this stupid? It blows my mind. Literally nothing good will come out of the Brexit decision.
I mean I kind of see two expanations, neither of which really fill me with excitement about our prospects:

1) The media has now lowered the standard of debate to such a point that they can now convince people to vote against their best interests.

2) People actually are well informed about the issues that they will happily against their own livelihoods as long as they think it will get Johnny Foreigner out.

You know what the saddest part about this is?
Most of the immigrants are working in low wage labour/jobs that the average British citizen wouldn't want to do. Construction, maintenance work such as plumbing, industry, health- and social care (e.g. as nurses or as caretakers for elderly), cleaning etc.

platocplx

Terrorists have won yet again. Incredible. Peoples fears over logic will now jeopardize the lives of many in the UK. Incredible. I just hope the US Has sanity in November.

The UK now has to negotiate with various countries for trade deals, vs before where they had one deal and one agreement and I have no idea why those idiots thought this was a good idea.

Vast majority of immigrants just want to work and live in peace.

offshore

Just come home from work, though I knew we were likely to Leave when I turned on the TV at 4am this morning, lol, but I just have to say that I am so goddamned ashamed of this country.

I didn't believe the British electorate could be so fucking stupid, yet here we are. Just appalled right now.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Well, now the EU has to deal with that decision as quickly as possible and make sure that the UK doesn't get good deals. It sounds harsh but the Europeans need to see that we need a united (not federal) Europe if we want to stay competitive in a globalized world. One country alone just can't compete with China or the US.

Feel sorry for you, UK-GAF.

I am trying to avoid any discussion of this with my folks. Better to be ignorant of how they voted than to be massively disappointed in them if they voted leave

Yeah, I don't really want to discuss it with my parents either, although we have a family barbecue tomorrow and I'm sure it will be brought up. The thing is, my wife (and thus my children) are mixed race, and my eldest sister lives in Spain, yet they're still casually racist and I'm pretty sure they would have voted Leave.

PJV3

'It's gotta be better than what is now'.

And therein, ladies and gentlemen, is the nub of the matter. She thinks everything is fucked, and lies are fine as long as we get out of it.

Goodo. Keep on trucking.

FFS.

Lol.
Did they ask her if she thinks it's possible he lied about anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom