• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

dealer-

If the younger population has nowhere near the same voter turnout as the older population then we should place as much blame on each other for allowing this to happen, regardless of whatever excuses we can come up with for our apathy.

Yeah looking at the charts, if the turnout had been the same among younger as older voters then remain may have edged it.

Clsmqj1VYAAIfUv.jpg:large

SomTervo

I mean I kind of see two expanations, neither of which really fill me with excitement about our prospects:

1) The media has now lowered the standard of debate to such a point that they can now convince people to vote against their best interests.

This has been true since the '80s and clearly is more so than ever now. The media is literally the deciding factor on any vote or election.

'It was the Sun wot won it' again and again

OCD Guy

and im trying to sell mine

typical

I'm in the same position. Although the estate agent advised us to remove it from the market.

With the imminent vote we barely had any viewings, and he advised us it was down to many people waiting to see what effect the vote had on the housing market.

The thing is if ours goes down, so does the house we're looking to buy, so in theory we shouldn't be worse off.

The difference should still be the same. i.e if our hosue goes down by £10,000 and so does the house we're looking to buy, then the cost to change is still the same.

Obviously it can increase negative equity as if the value of your house goes down, the amount you owe on your morgtage doesn't magically go down.

Ashes

Banned
This makes absolutely no sense. I'm a Spanish-American citizen who lives in Europe.

Leaving the European Union doesn't mean that United Kingdom will become it's own continent for Christ sake.

I vote in the European elections. Kinda feels like I lost my European citizenship.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The uneducated, poor, and old who didn't really understand the outcome and how this would effect us voted to leave. You also have reports of people voting leave thinking it wouldn't matter. Complete morons. Anecdotally I know this to be true. In my work (which is about 20 people), one person voted to leave and she admitted she didn't fully understand the gravity and voted to stop immigration.

The problem is Remain never had the right message. From the other thread...

Uzzy said:
See, there's a slight problem with telling people in perpetual economic insecurity that they'll face perpetual economic insecurity by voting for Brexit.

Remain camp never got over the hump on this right here. Instead the fear mongering over economics won out and racists could use the situation to their advantage.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Geopolitically, good news for US and China, EU the great experience has suffered major set back.

I expect Germany and France will push for tighter union and US push for closer relationship with UK. Obama can come up with a Trans-Atlantic Partnership to buddy up UK.

Well we will see what happens but Obama previously said that UK would be back of the queue in global trade negotiations going forward if it opted to leave the EU.

Nokterian

The funny thing is, most leave voters on the news seem to be ashamed about it.

This is one time in politics we really need a rerun of the vote. You can't decide something like this on one vote. People make mistakes.

People are being eaten by fear but the common sense people do know why they voted now against EU. You can thank cameron for all the fear mongering as a result but also thank the youth for not participating.

Madchad

Yeah looking at the charts, if the turnout had been the same among younger as older voters then remain may have edged it.

Sad but true, if you did not turn out to take part and VOTE you have absolutely no grounds on which to complain about the end result.

Baleoce

The UK Legal System. It's gone the past 40 years evolving with EU law. The fact is that it will have to be completely revamped. Parliament is likely going to delegate all of that responsibility to the government. So the government is going to be making policy decisions on the entirety of UK law.

And trade relations. Where do you even start with that?

The funny thing is, most leave voters on the news seem to be ashamed about it.

This is one time in politics we really need a rerun of the vote. You can't decide something like this on one vote. People make mistakes.
Just curious, if the vote had been remain would you still ask for a re-vote?

UK should split; Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have no effect on a vote like this due to England and its overwhelming majority of voters in relative terms.

The democratic wishes of devolved regions on national matters are usurped and always will be by England.

There was a British ex-pat on the radio today here in Australia. She said that she was a Leaver but sounded completely unsure about what she did and actually said that she didn't think it would turn out as it did, and that 'well, i'm sure it will be alright' or similar. Your GIF is exactly how I pictured her as the outcome was announced. lol

Geopolitically, good news for US and China, EU the great experience has suffered major set back.

I expect Germany and France will push for tighter union and US push for closer relationship with UK. Obama can come up with a Trans-Atlantic Partnership to buddy up UK.

Obama is not going to draw up a trade agreement in the less that 6 months he is in office, especially if the whole thing is delayed to October.

It will be up to Hillary, or even worse Trump.

Breakage

I think this result demonstrates the strength of the anti-immigration sentiment in England.
Imo, for a lot of people the vote to leave was purely about stopping immigrants i.e. people that don't look or sound like the average white Brit. They don't care about the economic side effects.

Honey Bunny

UK should split; Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have no effect on a vote like this due to England and its overwhelming majority of voters in relative terms.

The democratic wishes of devolved regions on national matters are usurped and always will be by England.

Wales voted to leave as well as England. They have regional breakdowns of this you know.

Le Gorafi (aka the French 'The Onion'):

The EU refuses to validate the British referendum due to non-conforming ballots to the norm of the EU

London – As the Brexit won in the referendum, the joy was short time for his supporters. Indeed, the European Commission said that due to non-compliance with European standards of ballots, the referendum will simply not valid.

« He was missing a front newsletter and a double flap and protection at the sides to ensure that voters do not cut. » Other irregularities were noted by European Commissioners as a system allowing voters to put their ballots in an urn and a single count of votes. Furthermore, the EU recalls that it is not a ballot but that it was necessary to use the type of form A38 pass. « The tables used during the counting, all as pens and chairs on which sat the assessors are not up to standard, as well as food or even the direction of traffic, » commented another. The EU has also denied any responsibility in the referendum, saying the word responsibilities was not to EU standards.
http://www.legorafi.fr/2016/06/24/t...non-conforming-ballots-to-the-norm-of-the-eu/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom