• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

The funny thing is, most leave voters on the news seem to be ashamed about it.

This is one time in politics we really need a rerun of the vote. You can't decide something like this on one vote. People make mistakes.

Around 17.5 million people voted to leave. It would be insane to demand a re-run based on a few dumbasses on TV.

danowat

Banned
I think this result demonstrates the strength of the anti-immigration sentiment in England.
Imo, for a lot of people the vote to leave was purely about stopping immigrants i.e. people that don't look or sound like the average white Brit. They don't care about the economic side effects.

How long before "they" start rounding "them" up?

I think posters claiming "everyone that disagrees with me is an ignorant moron" are missing the point on why this happened, though.

If you look at where the votes went, it's clearly not along party lines. This isn't a right vs left thing, or a north vs south thing. It's almost entirely an inner-city vs everyone else thing. Almost all of the events in the political make up of the UK since the recession can be seen through a lens of people outside of cities feeling like they've been left behind, ignored, not been appreciated and aren't represented by their leaders. Unless someone genuinely feels like the people of Scotland have some magic fairy dust that they put in the water that makes everyone there lovely and liberal despite having basically the same financial situation as the rest of the country, it's clear to me that the SNP have managed to fill a gap left by Labour wherein the people of Scotland do feel like their have politicians who understand them and represent them and know what it's like to be them. The SNP were then rewarded for this at the ballot box and the people of Scotland don't wish to rock the boat by voting out of the EU.

Those people in the rural communities in England and Wales that feel like they've been ignored do want to rock the boat. For some it's seen as about immigration and for others jobs and for others waiting times at hospitals or wage suppression or sovereignty or whatever other reason, but it fundamentally comes down to people being fed up of their voice not being heard and wanted to do something to make it get heard and bring about change, because they're fed up with a distant elite that doesn't understand what is important to them. So to people surprised at why this results come in (and it's surprised me, but to read this thread you'd think there'd be scarcely more than a handful of people that'd vote to leave), I think that's why. Dismissing all these people as idiots or ignorant or stupid or lied to by the press despite every major party's machine working towards a remain vote and half the media (including some of Mordoch's papers, by the way, so don't give me that shit) is missing the point entirely. This is a representative democracy and these people feel like they aren't represented. Quelle surprise.

The simpler people are too easily swayed by clever catch-phrases and shouting matches, as evidenced by these regretful leave voters.

It's the biggest flaw in Democracy and it's why you don't really want to have these referendums. A large, equally counted part of the populace will just end up being exploited because they are either intentionally or unintentionally ignorant on what they're voting for.

geordiemp

Is the UK in the same situation as Norway right now? Sorry for my ignorance.

Shh, you cant be logical and mention Norway or Canada or anyone like that.

Doomed, punished and whipped to a Frenzy by our Brussels masters is what we need,

show us who rules Europe in this fine democ...whatever.

If you are a Briton you are no longer a European citizen. Think about this.

Well technically we are still European Citizens. We haven't left the EU yet. But here is the rub I have never felt like a European Citizen, like a great many in the UK we never felt a part of Europe which is why the UK always had problems with integrating into the EU.

This is the best outcome long term for the UK, we don't belong in it, we are ruining the EU for the rest and now that we are going to leave, the UK stands a chance of surviving in the future and just maybe we have helped our European Cousins by nuking the whole moronic federal EU idea.

StayDead

Just curious, if the vote had been remain would you still ask for a re-vote?

My idea of a democracy when it comes down to something like this is you vote until you have an overwhelming majority in favour of one direction. Only then have the people of the country truely got what they wanted. So yes, I would.

All basing it off a near 50-50 split does is put a massive split in the country. Fracturing it.

Is it time for boris gifs? I think it is.

ys4om.gif

hv2tkMO.gif

http---makeagif.com--media-12-02-2014-lWZU9p.gif

image.gif

boris.gif

SomTervo

If the younger population has nowhere near the same voter turnout as the older population then we should place as much blame on each other for allowing this to happen, regardless of whatever excuses we can come up with for our apathy.

Totally agree with you

Moobabe

Doomed, punished and whipped to a Frenzy by our Brussels masters is what we need,

Do you even understand Norway's relationship with the EU?

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Is the UK in the same situation as Norway right now? Sorry for my ignorance.

No, it is not. Norway has never been part of the EU in the first place, they are a member of the EEA and Schengen though. So they acutally implement quite a lot of EU regulations, but don't have a say in it.

It will be really hard for the UK to find new bilateral agreements with the EU. Switzerland has a free-trade agreement with the EU (since they aren't a member of the EEA) and one part of that was the "Free movement of people". And wasn't that a major factor for Brexit? At least that was what the Brexit-proponents were talking about a lot.

The simpler people are too easily swayed by clever catch-phrases and shouting matches, as evidenced by these regretful leave voters.

It's the biggest flaw in Democracy and it's why you don't really want to have these referendums. A large, equally counted part of the populace will just end up being exploited because they are either intentionally or unintentionally ignorant on what they're voting for.

No, the main reason you don't want such referendums is that you are taking the biggest adventage from a democratic system away: making good compromises between different groups.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think posters claiming "everyone that disagrees with me is an ignorant moron" are missing the point on why this happened, though.

If you look at where the votes went, it's clearly not along party lines. This isn't a right vs left thing, or a north vs south thing. It's almost entirely an inner-city vs everyone else thing. Almost all of the events in the political make up of the UK since the recession can be seen through a lens of people outside of cities feeling like they've been left behind, ignored, not been appreciated and aren't represented by their leaders. Unless someone genuinely feels like the people of Scotland have some magic fairy dust that they put in the water that makes everyone there lovely and liberal despite having basically the same financial situation as the rest of the country, it's clear to me that the SNP have managed to fill a gap left by Labour wherein the people of Scotland do feel like their have politicians who understand them and represent them and know what it's like to be them. The SNP were then rewarded for this at the ballot box and the people of Scotland don't wish to rock the boat by voting out of the EU.

Those people in the rural communities in England and Wales that feel like they've been ignored do want to rock the boat. For some it's seen as about immigration and for others jobs and for others waiting times at hospitals or wage suppression or sovereignty or whatever other reason, but it fundamentally comes down to people being fed up of their voice not being heard and wanted to do something to make it get heard and bring about change, because they're fed up with a distant elite that doesn't understand what is important to them. So to people surprised at why this results come in (and it's surprised me, but to read this thread you'd think there'd be scarcely more than a handful of people that'd vote to leave), I think that's why. Dismissing all these people as idiots or ignorant or stupid or lied to by the press despite every major party's machine working towards a remain vote and half the media (including some of Mordoch's papers, by the way, so don't give me that shit) is missing the point entirely. This is a representative democracy and these people feel like they aren't represented. Quelle surprise.
These would be the same rural communities that have gotten their way in the last two general elections? Yes, a truly marginalised and ignored group.

sohois

I notice a lot of posts blasting those who assert that the future of the young has been decided by old voters, or looking for petitions or government intervention to prevent leaving. These tend to take the form of saying "you only like democracy when it delivers the result you like," or some such.

This is a fundamental mistake, using a category too broad to capture the needed meaning. Democracy, in this case, is a very poor choice of words. Whilst I don't doubt that most in here would support 'democracy' if asked, that does not mean that they agree with this referendum; the referendum is direct democracy, whilst when 'democracy' is brought up everyone will naturally be referring to representative democracy.

Pretty much no one would disagree with representative democracy, or at least they would accept it as the least best option. Direct democracy, however, is far more contentious and I think many would not want or like this form of democracy

OCD Guy

Imagine they'll be multitudes of people like this...

It just shows how ignorant their votes really were.

I'd respect someone who voted leave and stuck with their decision much more. There are people who have their reasons for voting to leave, and who is anyone to dismiss their reasons.

But when you have people who have no clue voting, it shows you how dangerous it can be.

How can someone vote, and then say they didn't think their vote would make a difference. I didn't see these interviews but were they not asked why they chose to vote leave in the first place?

Surely you should be happy if the way you voted ended up being the outcome. Fucking idiots.

dumbo

Bank of England has announced it has £250 billion to pump into the banks after the markets collapsed this morning. How many years of payments is that to the EU?

If they've borrowed it alongside the national debt, then I believe the interest payments would increase by around £130m/week.

Ashes

Banned

Logical. Democracy. Norway. What?

KonradLaw

The ironic thing is it won't suddenly make the UK "white". Skin colour alone has no relevance on whether somone is English..

It might make it less white. Because if somebody gets thrown out because of this it will be the masses of white eastern europeans,not people from middle east and africa, which usually have asylums or are already british citizens.

cyba89

But Norway implements EU regulations which the UK just voted with a majority against.

Bishop89

Well technically we are still European Citizens. We haven't left the EU yet. But here is the rub I have never felt like a European Citizen, like a great many in the UK we never felt a part of Europe which is why the UK always had problems with integrating into the EU.

This is the best outcome long term for the UK, we don't belong in it, we are ruining the EU for the rest and now that we are going to leave, the UK stands a chance of surviving in the future and just maybe we have helped our European Cousins by nuking the whole moronic federal EU idea.
Technically you are always going to be a European citizen

jesus wept....

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Why would anyone in Leave be in favour of becoming like Norway, who are part of the Schengen area, are beholden to EU trade regulations, and pay per capita a pretty similar amount to the UK, but have no power over EU lawmaking.

I mean I'd be fine with that personally, but I don't see how Leave campaigners could be.

It just shows how ignorant their votes really were.

I'd respect someone who voted leave and stuck with their decision much more. There are people who have their reasons for voting to leave, and who is anyone to dismiss their reasons.

But when you have people who have no clue voting, it shows you how dangerous it can be.

How can someone vote, and then say they didn't think their vote would make a difference. I didn't see these interviews but were they not asked why they chose to vote leave in the first place?

Surely you should be happy if the way you voted ended up being the outcome. Fucking idiots.

I had a conversation with someone at work, he'd decided to vote leave at the last minute.

It went something like this..

I had a conversation with 'bob' he says 'are you happy with the result, I ended up voting out in the end'.

I said 'no I'm not happy.'

he said 'Most of my family voted in, but the last few voted out'.

I said 'well as long as you're happy with the result and you understood why you were voting'.

He said 'well I didn't expect them (vote out) to win'.

I said 'But you voted for them, you must have understood why you voted for them'.

He said 'well I didn't expect them to win'. I said again and now with a guy behind him laughing 'but you voted for them!'

Edit -

Oh god, he's not alone!

'EU Referendum Man Voted For Leave And Is Now Regretting It'

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-man_uk_576cf8e4e4b08d2c5638ee29

'Leave voter 'disappointed' and wishes to vote remain'

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-06-24/leave-voter-disappointed-and-wishes-to-vote-remain/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom