• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

dealer-

vhcrUT4.png

Good lord.

These would be the same rural communities that have gotten their way in the last two general elections? Yes, a truly marginalised and ignored group.

Gotten their way, how? I'm not talking about Surrey and Hampshire, I'm talking about Merseyside (outside of Liverpool center), the Industrial North East outside of the very centers, greater Manchester. I reiterated in that post that "rural" isn't the right word because it's basically everyone except city centers, I just don't know of a better word.

That's not right, though? Cities in the north midlands and the north east voted out, London and cities in Scotland voted in?

A lot of city centers voted in, and areas just outside voted out. For example Liverpool itself voted in, but Merseyside in general voted out.

Lime

The same fucking MO 'round the world...
Fuck the economy up with right-wing pseudo-economics, blame the other side and immigrants when it goes wrong.

Working immigrants tend to have a positive economic impact. So if you blame them anyway, don't cry when people point out that your motivations might be less than pure.

Apparently over half of the turnout in the UK wants to lie in their own pool of shit because racism/xenophobia trumps all else.

Meanwhile, continental Europe with their free movement of labor will be looking at UK like

untitled-4t7bj0.gif

Volimar

So how long until Scotland can get another secede referendum on the schedule? Sorry, shedule.

Edit: Just saw the other thread.

pfkas

Gotten their way, how? I'm not talking about Surrey and Hampshire, I'm talking about Merseyside (outside of Liverpool center), the Industrial North East outside of the very centers, greater Manchester. I reiterated in that post that "rural" isn't the right word because it's basically everyone except city centers, I just don't know of a better word.

A lot of city centers voted in, and areas just outside voted out. For example Liverpool itself voted in, but Merseyside in general voted out.

Wirral voted in.

Ephidel

[Avatar Quote]
Heh, I hadn't even thought about that. I guess I really did finally find the avatar that best fits me.
Sod it. Billing Farage for all my future figurine purchases.
I'll join you and send him the invoices for my games :p
'They took our jobs' rhetoric is so confusing given that unemployment rate in the UK is 5%. Like, what? That's basically as good as it gets. What jobs had they taken from you? Are you delirious?
Yeah, but being told that the unemployment rate is only 5% isn't exactly going to make you feel better if you're one of the 5% and you feel you've been failed.

The fact there are over 4 million people in "insecure work" with low and zero hour contracts also riles people up, because nobody in that situation is ever going to get mortgages or be able to do any proper financial planning.
Add into that the fact that our news media is generally pretty awful and keeps telling people that it's because of all the foreigners, who apparently can get jobs, instead of laying it at the feet of our government and I can kind of understand why people come to believe it.

Tosyn_88

The outcome of the referendum will mean change for UK and indeed for our University. Change like this can be unsettling and I would like to offer the following points of reassurance to all students and, in particular, to those studying with us from other European countries.

I should like to reassure all students that any change will not happen overnight; out exit from the EU will be gradual process. Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty foresees a two-year negotiation process between the UK and other Member States, during which time the terms of the UK’s exit from the European Union will be decided.

For those students studying with us from other European countries:
• Firstly your immigration status, fee status and access to financial support have not changed as a result of yesterday’s vote. These will remain the same until the government decides otherwise.
• Secondly, if you are involved in any research or study funded by the European programme Horizon 2020, the UK status on this programme is unchanged and all current grants and funding will be honoured.
• Finally if you are studying under the Erasmus programme you will continue to be eligible for your Erasmus grant until at least as long as the UK is a member of the EU.

We will now work with our sector body Universities UK to clarify issues as they arise and influence future policy as it develops. We will send you updates as these become available. In the meantime if you have any questions relating to how the outcome of the referendum might affect your studies at the University please direct these to the Secretary & Registrar Jenny Share in the first instance by emailing secretary&registrar@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.

Carn82

How will Brexit affect your finances? http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36537906

some 'highlights'

Before the vote the Treasury predicted a vote for Brexit would mean a rise of between 0.7% and 1.1% in borrowing costs (on top of what happens anyway), with the prime minister claiming the average cost of a mortgage could increase by up to £1,000 a year.

The Treasury has said house prices could be hit by between 10% and 18% over the next two years, compared to where they otherwise would have been. This would be good news for first-time buyers, but not so great for existing homeowners

The Treasury estimated that wages will be between 2.8% and 4% lower at the point of maximum impact, with a typical worker at least £780 a year worse off.

OCD Guy

It might make it less white. Because if somebody gets thrown out because of this it will be the masses of white eastern europeans,not people from middle east and africa, which usually have asylums or are already british citizens.

Exactly. It just shows how ignorant people are.

But then again you have many Americans who want a "Pure America".

They don't realise that you don't have to be white to technically be American.

It's ok though because when the "foreigners" go there'll be lots of jobs for them to do. When the reality is many of these people they claim to hate, do jobs that they wouldn't be willing to do themselves anyway.

But for many people in todays society, it's always someone else's fault.

The cringiest thing I saw today was the celebrations on Sky News with those people cheering, they have no clue why they're so happy....

Kuga

I notice a lot of posts blasting those who assert that the future of the young has been decided by old voters, or looking for petitions or government intervention to prevent leaving. These tend to take the form of saying "you only like democracy when it delivers the result you like," or some such.

This is a fundamental mistake, using a category too broad to capture the needed meaning. Democracy, in this case, is a very poor choice of words. Whilst I don't doubt that most in here would support 'democracy' if asked, that does not mean that they agree with this referendum; the referendum is direct democracy, whilst when 'democracy' is brought up everyone will naturally be referring to representative democracy.

Pretty much no one would disagree with representative democracy, or at least they would accept it as the least best option. Direct democracy, however, is far more contentious and I think many would not want or like this form of democracy

Representative democracy has it's disadvantages too. Politicians rarely represent the true interests of their constituents well. The practice also lends itself to generating career politicians - often self-serving people who are more interested in power than serving the government.

Direct democracy obviously has flaws too (as we've seen in this case, people are susceptible to emotional appeals rather than weighing quantitative facts). There is nothing in direct democracy that ensures voting for long-term best interests.

On the referendum - it's like digging the grave, preparing the coffin, and then acting surprised when they force you to hop in and start shoveling dirt on top. Cameron is the one who allowed this to happen in the first place.

Lime

I wonder how many workhours put into various Horizon 2020 applications were rendered completely worthless over night.

Protome

At least we've temporarily escaped TTIP?

I'm trying to stay positive and this is kinda it...

Yaaaayyy, UK voted for democracy, freedom and to escape dysfunctional EU. Historic day.

Democracy? I'd happily have a vote on Democracy. Lets finally ditch the House of Lords and the Royals.

I think posters claiming "everyone that disagrees with me is an ignorant moron" are missing the point on why this happened, though.

If you look at where the votes went, it's clearly not along party lines. This isn't a right vs left thing, or a north vs south thing. It's almost entirely an inner-city vs everyone else thing. Almost all of the events in the political make up of the UK since the recession can be seen through a lens of people outside of cities feeling like they've been left behind, ignored, not been appreciated and aren't represented by their leaders. Unless someone genuinely feels like the people of Scotland have some magic fairy dust that they put in the water that makes everyone there lovely and liberal despite having basically the same financial situation as the rest of the country, it's clear to me that the SNP have managed to fill a gap left by Labour wherein the people of Scotland do feel like their have politicians who understand them and represent them and know what it's like to be them. The SNP were then rewarded for this at the ballot box and the people of Scotland don't wish to rock the boat by voting out of the EU.

Those people in the rural communities in England and Wales that feel like they've been ignored do want to rock the boat. For some it's seen as about immigration and for others jobs and for others waiting times at hospitals or wage suppression or sovereignty or whatever other reason, but it fundamentally comes down to people being fed up of their voice not being heard and wanted to do something to make it get heard and bring about change, because they're fed up with a distant elite that doesn't understand what is important to them. So to people surprised at why this results come in (and it's surprised me, but to read this thread you'd think there'd be scarcely more than a handful of people that'd vote to leave), I think that's why. Dismissing all these people as idiots or ignorant or stupid or lied to by the press despite every major party's machine working towards a remain vote and half the media (including some of Mordoch's papers, by the way, so don't give me that shit) is missing the point entirely. This is a representative democracy and these people feel like they aren't represented. Quelle surprise.

Well said.

It's a matter of too little too late. Same thing happened with the Swiss vote on immigration.

Rich!

Yaaaayyy, UK voted for democracy, freedom and to escape dysfunctional EU. Historic day.

I'm actually starting to come round to it, to be quite honest despite potential personal losses for the time being.

Could be great steps towards the future. We need to make sacrifices - the UK needed change and last night proved it. Who am I to argue with the majority vote? It's done. Let's move on.

For people saying we've turned our back we won't be on good terms. Well, I don't know take the Tunisian independence as an example. They and the French are still on good terms. Maybe we mean a lot more to the EU than Tunisia did to France (though France cared enough to ban the party seeking independence and imprison its leader...).

People talking about foreign exchange currency always makes me laugh at their ignorance no matter how bad their situation is. I mean the current rate is barely below what it was a week ago (1.380 24/06/16 against 1.406 16/06/16), while I understand their fears about job security maybe talking about something you clearly don't understand shouldn't be something you should be doing.
A week ago it was at that point because the markets were scared of a Brexit (remember it was said to be close but Brexit). A close but Brexit has happened and you're saying nothing to fear it is in a similar place while telling people not to talk about things they don't understand? It is perfectly expected for it to be a similar place as last week in these circumstances don't you think?

None, we've just done this yesterday.

Sour people because they didn't get the result they wanted.
If we convert the vote %s into the house of commons it would mean the ruling party has a majority of 28 seats...which is actually more than the current house of commons but not enough to guarantee things get passed easily (as less than 10% of ruling side being rebels and all the opposition opposing something will mean it is opposed).

I do want to see it discussed in parliament though I know it will make no difference but I don't think a 4% margin should be decisive (though to be honest I wholeheartedly disagree with having this referendum completely with its whole "more important than several general elections, so there will NO manifestos only what ifs") and I don't see why there shouldn't be minimum turnouts and amounts required to decisively win for thing in the future. Isn't it better than having practically half of the country at arms with the other half?

I study at a top Russell Group Uni and the Chancellor just emailed us about the uncertainty of the impact, especially alongside the UUK.

What could happen to UK Universities?
The Uni I'm still affiliated with sent something that was basically will be working with the higher education sector to better understand the longer term implications but for now nothing has changed (which is right, we've not issued article 50, we've not started negotiations) and we will let you know when it has.

Given how much more heavily the Russel group is involved in research they will be keen to find a way to keep working with Europe. As far as Students go I'm not sure there were that many EU students thanks to over £9000 being a thing but there could be certainly be less of them if they had to pay the normal international student fees.

Sarek

Is the UK in the same situation as Norway right now? Sorry for my ignorance.

No. The UK is in exactly the same situation as it was yesterday other than it has now declared its intention to leave the EU. Also that intention is crashing the markets.

Zelias

Banned
Absolutely gutted by this result. Feels like I woke up this morning in a different country. Grats to the Brexiters who 'took back their country.' Sure as shit doesn't feel like mine anymore.

If the vote was the other way round remain voters would be telling exit voters to just shut up and except it.

the cards have been delt, everyone should be talking on how too move forward and deal with it not calling each other racists.

Morat

Banned
Absolutely gutted by this result. Feels like I woke up this morning in a different country. Grats to the Brexiters who 'took back their country.' Sure as shit doesn't feel like mine anymore.

I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I think posters claiming "everyone that disagrees with me is an ignorant moron" are missing the point on why this happened, though.

If you look at where the votes went, it's clearly not along party lines. This isn't a right vs left thing, or a north vs south thing. It's almost entirely an inner-city vs everyone else thing. Almost all of the events in the political make up of the UK since the recession can be seen through a lens of people outside of cities feeling like they've been left behind, ignored, not been appreciated and aren't represented by their leaders. Unless someone genuinely feels like the people of Scotland have some magic fairy dust that they put in the water that makes everyone there lovely and liberal despite having basically the same financial situation as the rest of the country, it's clear to me that the SNP have managed to fill a gap left by Labour wherein the people of Scotland do feel like their have politicians who understand them and represent them and know what it's like to be them. The SNP were then rewarded for this at the ballot box and the people of Scotland don't wish to rock the boat by voting out of the EU.

Those people in the rural communities in England and Wales that feel like they've been ignored do want to rock the boat. For some it's seen as about immigration and for others jobs and for others waiting times at hospitals or wage suppression or sovereignty or whatever other reason, but it fundamentally comes down to people being fed up of their voice not being heard and wanted to do something to make it get heard and bring about change, because they're fed up with a distant elite that doesn't understand what is important to them. So to people surprised at why this results come in (and it's surprised me, but to read this thread you'd think there'd be scarcely more than a handful of people that'd vote to leave), I think that's why. Dismissing all these people as idiots or ignorant or stupid or lied to by the press despite every major party's machine working towards a remain vote and half the media (including some of Mordoch's papers, by the way, so don't give me that shit) is missing the point entirely. This is a representative democracy and these people feel like they aren't represented. Quelle surprise.

It's also very much an age thing. Old people voted out, young people voted in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom