• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, this

"...it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed, thank you, bye."
[IMG.]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CltnTeFWIAAIRg2.jpg[/IMG]

I'm not even enjoying making fun of this situation but it's all I have. Friend just called me, his boss told him he probably won't be able to keep his job. He has a family in the UK and has been living there for 6 years now.
Can someone please explain the bolded to me please. Why is it causing job losses immediately? ELI5

tuxfool

Banned
That seems a knee jerk reaction? Any exit will take time and surely you'd want to see the results before expensively moving resources around? If the UK retains access to the single market then there would be no reason to move?

They prefer to enact their own policy now rather than deal with 3 months and then possibly another 2 years of uncertainty.

Cromwell

Banned
But I mean.... The data only backs this up. Especially when combined with the FUD the leave campaign was spreading (in fairness, Remain also did their fair share of lie spreading).

Of course most people don't want to call other people 'stupid' for falling on the other side of an arguement, but it is a fact that the uneducated are more easily swayed by these cheap campaign tactics.

Having said that I still don't agree with shouting it in campaigner's faces, but I can totally understand the frustration.

Data doesn't mean anything to leave voters. They follow their heart, and if you besmirch that you're a big meanie.

kaskade

So to put this in a US perspective would this be like some large state like California or NY deciding to say fuck it, we want to be independent? We will have our own money, companies in our state can't trade as easily with the other 50 states. No ease of travel or moving.

Maledict

Well, logically, why would the immigrants vote Leave?

If London is filled with immigrants the way the vote turned out there makes sense.

This has got to win a prize or something...

Even with high levels of immigration, London is still majority UK nationals. You don't get 78% of a borough voting to stay in because only immigrants voted.

The fact is, research and evidence has shown time and time and time again, in every country, that the people who fear immigration tend to be those who don't experience it. People who experience it and live it don't - it's the basic fear of the unknown, that is exploited by politicians world wide.

mcz117chief

Was just getting ready to post.

CluD1UqWAAAQaqm.jpg

damn, it fell so hard it even fell off the chart.

Lime

Will this have any effect on the Paris agreement against Climate Changes for the UK? Did they commit as a EU country or was it separate? If it's the former, I guess they can change their goals for reduction in greenhouse gases

I've seen a few reports British Asian people over 40 vote leave while their children vote remain. Too much focus on racism and Trump nonsense when for a lot of people there's other reasons.

It's not bullshit, all those issues he talked about are very real in the UK.

There are people who voted leave simply because they wanted to stick two fingers up to the government who they feel has failed and neglected them.
And you don't see anything wrong with that? Their problems have little to do with the EU, but their decision will now screw them over.

Go protest your own government instead of blaming institutions that have no influence over those problems.

Am I reading this right, there is a chance this doesn't go through if parliament reject it?
Well, yes. But if they choose to do so, it would create major problems and protests in the country.

Such a shame that the huge aging population who tend to vote with near 100% turnout and overwhelmingly towards leaving are the ones who'll be least affected by the result..

The real shame is that the people who will be affected by this the longest felt no need to vote.

All this talk of xenophobia is hilarious.

Government has actively ignored everywhere outside of London for 2 generations and you're all surprised when the communities hit hardest by mass immigration bite back and vote out.

Labour and the Tories have ignored the calls from your working class Brit to get a grasp on things and they've been ignored. Towns have been gutted, families have been hit hard by low wages, communities have been decimated by different cultures that don't try to integrate, the NHS and schooling have been hit hard by increased demand (and bad policy), affordable homes can't be built to compensate for the massive growth. People have genuine problems and they've been failed by both Labour and the Tories.

Get out and actually talk to the people who vote. Talk to the people who have genuine concerns and complaints. When you simply shrug concerns off as xenophobic or bigoted (see Gordon Brown's classic blunder with the old woman) then you're actively shunning away real people with real concerns.

Look at what problems this 52% has and actually try to help them, don't just attack them. This notion from the far left that anyone who voted leave is either racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic or straight up an idiot has to stop because you're only going to add fuel to the fire.

Yeah this is bullshit, the reason services have been so hard hit is because of austerity and a lack of infrastructure spending, combined with tax cuts on the wealthiest among us and an endemic system of tax avoidance. Migrants are a net positive on the economy and we could easily cope with the demand if we actually fucking bothered to invest, collect taxes and have a tax system that's fair. There's no more affordable, subsidised housing being built, it's all luxury private apartments that are snapped up by property investors before they've even finished construction.

The Leave campaign has ran a campaign of hate, fear mongering and lies, so don't be surprised that Remain voters have this perception that Leave voters are coming from a xenophobic standpoint. It's Leave who were propogating this attitude and banking on it to win.

sphinx

the piano man
Hey now, that's not entirely true.
You do get a separate queue and quicker checkouts. ;)

really? I don't remember?? but the fact you get checked for your passport and documents proves my point.

people thinking that leaving the EU changes the basic immigration regulations in the UK are huge morons.

Rich!

Government has actively ignored everywhere outside of London for 2 generations and you're all surprised when the communities hit hardest by mass immigration bite back and vote out.

Labour and the Tories have ignored the calls from your working class Brit to get a grasp on things and they've been ignored. Towns have been gutted, families have been hit hard by low wages, communities have been decimated by different cultures that don't try to integrate, the NHS and schooling have been hit hard by increased demand (and bad policy), affordable homes can't be built to compensate for the massive growth. People have genuine problems and they've been failed by both Labour and the Tories.

Get out and actually talk to the people who vote. Talk to the people who have genuine concerns and complaints. When you simply shrug concerns off as xenophobic or bigoted (see Gordon Brown's classic blunder with the old woman) then you're actively shunning away real people with real concerns.

Look at what problems this 52% has and actually try to help them, don't just attack them. This notion from the far left that anyone who voted leave is either racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic or straight up an idiot has to stop because you're only going to add fuel to the fire.

Great post. It's spot on.

I'm ashamed of the way people are attacking leave voters - and I didn't even vote that way. The majority of the UK outside of London has been ignored for too long.

I voted remain purely for personal reasons (my own finances, which will recover), but I do agree in many respects with leave.

Hazzuh

Am I reading this right, there is a chance this doesn't go through if parliament reject it?

Referenda in the UK are not legally binding in any way, they are advisory. Parliament is sovereign and could chose to ignore this if they wanted. For obvious reasons they will not do that though.

I've seen some posts earlier claiming that this could be stopped/reversed before it is final.... reading recent comments, was that all bs?

nOoblet16

Unless they are citizens they don't get to vote. Even if they can vote in generals.
They can if they are commonwealth nationals. I am not British but I voted yesterday because I am Indian and I live in UK (I dontnhave permanent residency but I do have a residence permit for 4 more years by the end of which I will become British)

Furyous

This will could go down as the beginning of the second great recession. If the UK does not rethink the decision to leave the EU then the entire world will pay for this decision.

America is already feeling the ramifications of this but enough about America.

What does leaving the EU do for the UK long-term? There has to be information I am missing because this looks like a terrible decision.

The vox's doomsday article on this subject is depressing.

DNAbro

It's funny to read some people say the vote to leave wasn't based on racism and fear and then people come back with facts and statistics proving that yes, it was.

Hope you UK people bounce back from this in a non-shitty way.

offshore

Middle of your post is a bit OTT i.e. towns gutted, but the central point is correct, and I'm surprised to see you talking a bit of flak for it.

After years and years of govt's branding those who raised legitimate concerns about immigration as racists, chickens are finally coming home to roost. An acknowledgement was needed from UK govt's that immigration was having a big effect on large parts of the country that the UK public hadn't given their consent to.

They didn't, and this is the result... albeit one I still didn't think would happen. But as another poster said, people must have felt so strongly about it that it's led to a leave majority.

In theory, the UK retains the decision-making privileges of membership; in reality, power will rapidly drain away and British diplomats can expect to be marginalised in the councils of Brussels.

The UK will keep its veto in some areas, such as tax and foreign policy, but diplomats say Britain’s voice on other EU decisions, for example economy and business, will count for little.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...-crisis-britain-votes-leave-eu-european-union

No wonder why China calls you a small country now.

Dennis

Banned
This has got to win a prize or something...

Even with high levels of immigration, London is still majority UK nationals. You don't get 78% of a borough voting to stay in because only immigrants voted.

The fact is, research and evidence has shown time and time and time again, in every country, that the people who fear immigration tend to be those who don't experience it. People who experience it and live it don't - it's the basic fear of the unknown, that is exploited by politicians world wide.

And how many of those nationals in London have immigration backgrounds compared to the rest of the country? My points stands perfectly.

As for why people who don't experience immigration fear it - maybe they are looking at the areas of the UK with high immigration and go: "hmmmm, no thanks."

I think there is a tremendous amount of burying your head in the sand here and that is why the Remain side failed to get a majority of the vote.

There seems to be little political will to understand what is going on with peoples discontent.

GHG

And you don't see anything wrong with that? Their problems have little to do with the EU, but their decision will now screw them over.

Go protest your own government instead of blaming institutions that have no influence over those problems.

No I don't think it's the right thing to do but at the same time I can't blame them.

They wanted to get their voices heard but have been misguided in how they've gone about it despite being successful.

mcz117chief

Technically they can, referendum isn't the law. You just see what the people think and considering how neck-to-neck it is I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected it. I mean, if it it was like 90/10 they wouldn't have any wiggle room, but with 52/48 they can, theoretically, ignore it. At least I think so, that is how it works in my country at least.

Lime

There are people who voted leave simply because they wanted to stick two fingers up to the government who they feel has failed and neglected them.

Neglected to appeal to their racist fears you mean.

It's the same argument being trotted out. "The current parties are not dealing with these brown people in my neighborhood, so I JUST HAVE TO vote for these obviously racist parties"

It's such a short-sighted argument that excuses individual responsibility for enabling explicitly racist far-right parties to get into power.

The problem is and has always been the neoliberal policies since Thatcher and Reagan in the 80's along with severe austerity measures since the crash in 2008, cutting out the welfare sector (education and health). And then blame the immigrants and refugees for being a burden on society.

So fucking tired of this shit. Or MassiveNights said it better:

The post is nonsense.

It's so close to the truth in the sense that governments HAVE ignored the working class.

But to then suggest the problem is mass immigration is completely fucking mental.

Britain's problems start and end with austerity, not immigration and especially NOT EU economic migration.

Exactly.

Great post. It's spot on.

I'm ashamed of the way people are attacking leave voters - and I didn't even vote that way. The majority of the UK outside of London has been ignored for too long.

I voted remain purely for personal reasons (my own finances, which will recover), but I do agree in many respects with leave.

They have been ignored but its nothing to do with immigration or multi-culturalism like the post suggests.

It scoffs at the idea there is xenophobia then has a xenophobic outlook.

The post is garbage.

So to put this in a US perspective would this be like some large state like California or NY deciding to say fuck it, we want to be independent? We will have our own money, companies in our state can't trade as easily with the other 50 states. No ease of travel or moving.

Imagine a Texas seceding from the Union, but with more nationalism in England.

Then that people should have vote to stay instead of leave, since that would put the country on a recession that would make all that people poblems even worse?

All these problems are due to your own goverment, not because EU, which has been really beneficial for UK over the years, instead of a few regulations on pillows...

PJV3

Referenda in the UK are not legally binding in any way, they are advisory. Parliament is sovereign and could chose to ignore this if they wanted. For obvious reasons they will not do that though.

You would hope there is a limit to how much damage people will take, I do see the possibility of a confirmation referendum nearer the 2 year mark.

SomTervo

The government has failed and neglected people of the UK for 25 of the last 35 years. This was the shittiest way of vocalising that.

The guys post was legit full of bullshit, though?

About 'getting out there and speaking to voters'. What, you mean the many million who voted for, or the many million who voted against? I'm sure speaking to all of them would settle your mind about it

And the idea that the immigration phobia is a legitimate fear. It's not a legitimate fear. Immigration is a complete non-issue. It is a good thing for any country top-to-bottom. 'Stealing jobs' isn't immigrants, it's employers 'giving your job away'.

And to top it off, we know that the places with least immigrants were the most staunch Leave voters, so they don't even experinece any issues with immigration, it's just the narrative they've been fed

Hazzuh

It's funny to read some people say the vote to leave wasn't based on racism and fear and then people come back with facts and statistics proving that yes, it was.

Hope you UK people bounce back from this in a non-shitty way.

Or maybe people are saying that it's just far too reductive a way to look at the whole thing? Do you think that suddenly the number of racist people in the UK has shot up? Maybe instead it has something to do with economic issues as well..?

cory64

It's not like that at all.

Such a shame that the huge aging population who tend to vote with near 100% turnout and overwhelmingly towards leaving are the ones who'll be least affected by the result..

For a demographic that still doesn't know how to set their VCR clocks, old people seem hell bent on turning everyone else's backwards.

You know I can understand how people are saying that this wasn't purely about racism/xenophobia and about people being left behind, but how exactly does leaving the EU fix any of your problems. It sounds very similar to the argument people making when they vote republican in the US. They are tired of jobs being lost and rural areas being left behind

Do people seriously think this is a magic bullet that's going to fix their lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom