• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

-duskdoll-

The voters did not understand and comprehend what leaving meant. This should never have been left up to them in the first place. Democracy has failed if it allows a country to burn itself to the ground.

You can't prove that though. The only way i think this could be done is by voting if they want to vote again. I don't know how realistic that is though.

SomTervo

You vote in experts who pledge to sort out whatever issue you dont like. They can then spend months poring over data models and agree the best option.

They are called MPs

I guess I didn't consider them because the bipartisan and First Past The Post systems so completely and utterly fuck democracy already, so it's not really a solution ATM.

In Scotland things are better on that front due to the Single Transferable Vote and Proportional Representation.

offshore

IT depends.

If, during the 2 year period activated by article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, the U.K. Decides not to leave, you can absolutely guarantee it would happen. No questions asked, Europe would be overjoyed.
I'm not clued up here, but can we do this? i.e. decide after two years not to leave AFTER invoking Article 50? I do wonder if after two years the mood might change and that it becomes clear from public opinion that remaining in the EU is the best course of action.

Though at this point I'm just grasping at anything that means that we wouldn't have to leave the EU. lol.

Beefy

So many dumb as fuck questions being asked by the public on Sky Sports news:

Do countries in the UK get kicked out of Euro 2016?
Are PL teams still allowed in the Europa/CL?
Will foreign players be kicked out?

Fucking dumb.

MUnited83

For you.
The Remain campaign has treated most of the Leave voters with contempt after their parties ignored them for decades. If you watched the debates you would have seen Remain campaigners calling the Leave campaigners stupid liars etc. If you are a Leave supporter I can see how the implication is that they are stupid for believing them.
Considering that the momento leave won leave campaigners promptly revealed that they were lying all along... Seems like the Remain campaign eas completely right.

You vote in experts who pledge to sort out whatever issue you dont like. They can then spend months poring over data models and agree the best option.

They are called MPs

Yeah, I don't know much about UK politicians but I wouldn't call the ones we have here in the States experts at anything other than getting elected.

RiggyRob

Isn't the UK like that? Wasn't the PM that pushed for the referendum?

Yes he did, in an attempt to stave off the UKIP voters and secure the General Election last year. And now he gets to jump ship so he doesn't have to deal with the consequences.

Wonderful.

GamingKaiju

Like what for instance?

Crazy regulations for one.

I know in my region where it's quite deprived and work is very hard to find. China stole our industry and then EU regulations on fuel consumption finished the rest off.

The regeneration money promised by the EU stopped years ago and our region has been left to rot. I know leave had a majority here.

Winston Churchill and Plato knew that direct democracy is the biggest bullshit ever, not everyone has the necessary information to make the right choice, especially when it comes to such huge changes.

As a Swiss citizen and, thus, a strong believer in the merits of direct democracy, I have to respectfully disagree :) Elements of direct democracy can work very well, *if* (and that's a pretty significant if) there are appropriate institutional safeguards in place and there is an actual lived culture of regular direct democratic political participation (as in Switzerland where we vote four times a year on numerous important and less important issues both on the communal, the state and the federal level).

However, calling one-off referendums on momentous issues that severely affect the course of an entire nation in a representative democracy is, indeed, bullshit if you ask me. I mean, we're seeing the results right now.

Maledict

I'm not clued up here, but can we do this? i.e. decide after two years not to leave AFTER invoking Article 50? I do wonder if after two years the mood might change and that it becomes clear from public opinion that remaining in the EU is the best course of action.

Though at this point I'm just grasping at anything that means that we wouldn't have to leave the EU. lol.

It would have to happen before we formally leave, and I'm guessing could only happen if there was a change in our national government. E.g. A new Labour leader gets elected with a mandate of not leaving Europe. So it is possible, but extremely unlikely.

Acorn

Fucking dumb.
Most important issues for white van man.

Carl2291

All this talk of xenophobia is hilarious.

Government has actively ignored everywhere outside of London for 2 generations and you're all surprised when the communities hit hardest by mass immigration bite back and vote out.

Labour and the Tories have ignored the calls from your working class Brit to get a grasp on things and they've been ignored. Towns have been gutted, families have been hit hard by low wages, communities have been decimated by different cultures that don't try to integrate, the NHS and schooling have been hit hard by increased demand (and bad policy), affordable homes can't be built to compensate for the massive growth. People have genuine problems and they've been failed by both Labour and the Tories.

Get out and actually talk to the people who vote. Talk to the people who have genuine concerns and complaints. When you simply shrug concerns off as xenophobic or bigoted (see Gordon Brown's classic blunder with the old woman) then you're actively shunning away real people with real concerns.

Look at what problems this 52% has and actually try to help them, don't just attack them. This notion from the far left that anyone who voted leave is either racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic or straight up an idiot has to stop because you're only going to add fuel to the fire.

Hazzuh

...but they did lie. Right out of their arses. Sounds like fair comment.

I know they lied. I'd recommend you watched the debate if you hadn't, my issue is more the tone of the Remain campaign than anything. I feel like Remain could have won if they weren't so smug and condescending.

Considering that the momento leave won leave campaigners promptly revealed that they were lying all along... Seems like the Remain campaign eas completely right.

Maybe they should reflect on why they were trusted less than Boris Johnson and Nigel fucking Farage.

SomTervo

I propose a representative democracy where the qualified and informed elected officials act upon issues with compromise and tact rather than dealing with unprecedented economical secessions with yes/no votes.

I agree but the disjoint in your post is 'qualified and informed elected officials'

I can't think of any representative-based system today which ensures that officials are qualified and/or informed.

How do you ensure that?

Allow experts who actually know what the fuck is at stake to vote on behalf of the people.

If Trump wins the U.S. Presidency, 2016 will be the year that democracy officially failed. No one would be able to deny that. No one.

I'd agree with the second sentence there but I think the first needs some more work

offshore

Fucking dumb.
I bet they're all leave voters :p

Kyuur

How? Everything you hear on the news about Muslims turning extreme etc, Polish people taking cheap labour, in turn taking jobs away etc. That isn't racist it's pure fear and something that they've been taught to think.

Racism is still racism regardless of whether its taught or original thought.

Allow experts who actually know what the fuck is at stake to vote on behalf of the people.

If Trump wins the U.S. Presidency, 2016 will be the year that democracy officially failed. No one would be able to deny that. No one.

How does that make any sense? The people go out to vote and if he wins, that's democracy.

Just because you didn't receive your desired outcome doesn't mean democracy is broken.

Ashes

Banned

I know in my region where it's quite deprived and work is very hard to find. China stole our industry and then EU regulations on fuel consumption finished the rest off.

The regeneration money promised by the EU stopped years ago and our region has been left to rot. I know leave had a majority here.

Whereabouts?

Government has actively ignored everywhere outside of London for 2 generations and you're all surprised when the communities hit hardest by mass immigration bite back and vote out.

Labour and the Tories have ignored the calls from your working class Brit to get a grasp on things and they've been ignored. Towns have been gutted, families have been hit hard by low wages, communities have been decimated by different cultures that don't try to integrate, the NHS and schooling have been hit hard by increased demand (and bad policy), affordable homes can't be built to compensate for the massive growth. People have genuine problems and they've been failed by both Labour and the Tories.

Get out and actually talk to the people who vote. Talk to the people who have genuine concerns and complaints. When you simply shrug concerns off as xenophobic or bigoted (see Gordon Brown's classic blunder with the old woman) then you're actively shunning away real people with real concerns.

Look at what problems this 52% has and actually try to help them, don't just attack them. This notion from the far left that anyone who voted leave is either racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic or straight up an idiot has to stop because you're only going to add fuel to the fire.

None of this has anything to do with immigration.

EU immigration brings a net benefit to the country. An undisputed fact.

You say there is no xenophobia then rant about different cultures. Who are you trying to kid?

Auctopus

Basically:
0.jpg

Perfect. Sadly, most Leave campaigners think Trump's "just talking common sense".

Crumpo

Globalisation killed the region, not the EU. But fuck them for not doling out cash to prop up an unsustainable industry.

Smh

Cromwell

Banned
You can't prove that though. The only way i think this could be done is by voting if they want to vote again. I don't know how realistic that is though.

There have already been murmurings of voter regret - http://theweek.com/speedreads/632139/some-brexit-supporters-now-say-already-regret-voting-leave-eu

MSNBC was talking about how they voted with their heart, not facts. Voting Leave as a form of "protest". They weren't voting for what's logically best for the country, they were voting for what they felt in the moment was best for the country based on fear spread by the likes of Johnson.

Dascu

Do you understand that this will not solve things since no car manufacturer is going to make a car with adjusted fuel consumption just for the UK? Do you understand that it was majority vote that put those regulations in place? That the UK government also voted and participated in this political process? That things would not be different if it was a purely UK domestic law?

As someone working in Brussels and involved in these processes, I am just incredibly pissed off to see people blame EU regulation when that regulation is made, supported and is the result of a democratic process which due to its scale is often more fair and less prone to regulatory capture than if it was a purely domestic rule where a single company can easily lobby and bribe elected officials.

I wouldn't even be surprised if something like this fuel consumption and environmental protection rule is coming from international fora (like the Paris Convention) against global warming rather than something cooked up in the dark backroom offices of invisible technocrats. And the EU structural funds to help regions cope with these things are often funded by the budget contributions of other countries, which the UK now will have zero access to.

Maledict

I'm perplexed by how the conservatives, who have basically lost London over the last two decades to the point where it's a labour stronghold and overwhelmingly red, are somehow only concerned with London. I mean, they don't get votes there, they don't get MPS, but somehow it's all about London? Also worth noting that the inner city metropolitan areas, the places with significant immigration - voted to Remain. In fact, it's the places in England with the LEAST immigration that voted to leave.

And you know who was helping the 52%? Europe. Regeneration funding in Cornwall, Wales, the North East. All now gone. Turkeys and Christmas etc etc,.

Ashes

Banned

Mass immigration what? London is mass immigration central. And we voted remain.

Nice, you just posted things that are 90% the responsibility of the own national government and not the EU. The EU doesn't manage your healthcare, stop you from building affordable housing, it actually invests in poor areas instead of ignoring them, and they don't bring in those different cultures, since I take it you are talking about Muslims with that.

I get people are angry. But the Leave campaign aimed their hatred at the wrong institutions. And it will screw over those same people even more now.

GHG

Top post. Well said.

How does that make any sense? The people go out to vote and if he wins, that's democracy.

Just because you didn't receive your desired outcome doesn't mean democracy is broken.

Some people just like democracy when the majority is on their side, if not they seem to want an aristocracy and have no problems showing their authoritarian nature.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The reality where CAC and Dax are down more than FTSE ?

Try looking at all the markets instead of being selective. Its just traders being nervous, more so for EU countries than UK it seems.

The reality where the pound is at its average for past 5 years and 1.4 was not sustainable

http://www.chartoasis.com/forex/1/gbp_eur/5_years.html

Actually Pound is still too high, needs to come down to about 1.2. Crash is better headlines than facts.

CAC\DAX are denominated in EUR, FTSE is denominated in GBP.
Add a few points.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This has most likely already been posted but I haven't seen it yet, so....

EU leaders call for UK to leave as soon as possible
The EU’s top leaders have said they expect the UK to act on its momentous vote to leave the union “as soon as possible, however painful that process may be” and that there will be “no renegotiation”.

“This is an unprecedented situation, but we are united in our response,” they said in a joint statement.

The bolded is very key to your overall point and how you actually feel.

Hazzuh

I'm perplexed by how the conservatives, who have basically lost London over the last two decades to the point where it's a labours stronghold and overwhelmingly red, are somehow only concerned with London. I mean, they don't get votes there, they don't get MPS, but somehow it's all about London?

And you know who was helping the 52%? Europe. Regeneration funding in Cornwall, Wales, the North East. All now gone. Turkeys and Christmas etc etc,.

Proud that Liverpool voted Remain. I visited there last week for the first time in years. It was the European capital of culture a few years ago and the regeneration has really turned the city around.

Nice, you just posted things that are 90% the responsibility of the own national government and not the EU. The EU doesn't manage your healthcare, stop you from building affordable housing, it actually invests in poor areas instead of ignoring them, and they don't bring in those different cultures, since I take it you are talking about Muslims with that.

I get people are angry. But the Leave campaign aimed their hatred at the wrong institutions. And it will screw over those same people even more now.

I think most people here aren't saying Leave was the right choice, it's just that saying Leave voters are all racists is absurdly reductive. It's about economics, class resentment etc as much as anything else. The referendum became a referendum on whether or not you approve of Britain today unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom