• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
So I arrive at work today and, as expected, the general discussion for today is the EU referendum results. I'm already pretty pissed about it, and don't really wish to discuss it further, but I go with it because I can't be arsed otherwise. Turns out that one person who is extremely opinionated about the entire affair - my line manager - didn't even fucking vote. Like, how can you stand there and slag off others when you didn't even vote yourself? Ugh.

Morat

Banned
My wife is technically Irish, her mother was born in Ireland and is an Irish passport holder, I wonder if she can get an Irish passport for herself and my son although I hear changes in nationality can screw up the us visa waiver

I believe having Irish grandparents is enough

daniels

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Stop hijacking the EU debate to espouse your racist garbage under the guise of reasonable debate. It is incredibly transparent.

Pakistani sex gangs! In a thread about the EU?

Shameful.

1400 children in rotherham alone over years with knowledge of some politican, various help groups and media all scared they get labeled racist if the blow the lid on this, fact and this is by faar not the only instance.
But thanks for proving my point that people rather want to be willfully ignorant and then act all surprised when it blows up in their faces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

"An independent inquiry into child sexual abuse in the town, led by Professor Alexis Jay, was established in 2013 for Rotherham Council.[3] The inquiry's initial report, published on 26 August 2014, condemned the failure of the authorities in Rotherham to act effectively against the abuse and even, in some cases, to acknowledge that it was taking place.[4][5][6] The report estimated that 1,400 children had been sexually abused in the town between 1997 and 2013, predominantly by gangs of British-Pakistani men.[7] Abuses described included abduction, rape, torture and sex trafficking of children.[6]"

"Widespread organised child sexual abuse took place in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England, between 1997 and 2013. Local investigations into the abuse began in 1999, although some reports were never finalised or made public by the authorities.[1] In 2010, five men of Pakistani heritage were found guilty of a series of sexual offences against girls as young as twelve.[2]"

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
lol it was like this under labour in the 90's

I think you missed my point. Our region cannot cope with any more migration. Immigration is good Im not denying that but when you combine high immigration and austerity it creates problems and over stretches our public services.
Let's say you have two decisions to make, and two options for each.

Call them decision 1 and decision 2. Decision 1 you have Options A and B, and Decision 2 you have options X and Y.

Let's say it's a matter of pretty much fact to anybody with expert knowledge on these kinds of decisions that the best possible outcome is to choose A and X. The populace have instead chosen B (austerity). Now you're saying that because of the outcome of that choice, they're now also voting for Y (leaving the EU).

I mean, you've explained the choice, but you haven't made it any more sensible.

I wonder if the general public finally start to appreciate the role the Liberal Democrats had in the 2010 coalition. Outside of coalition Cameron has navigated from one disaster to another and now left the country in years of economic and constitutional mess.

How must Cameron now be feeling about aggressively targeting Lib Dem seats for a slender majority beholden to the dangerous nutter wing of his party. It's led to the utter implosion of his premiership and the country as a whole.

Bold One

Oh sweet irony

13522986_818404601317_9005696151091656564_o.jpg

Morat

Banned
1400 children by Pakistanis in rotherham alone over years with knowledge of some politican, various help groups and media all scared they get labeled racist if the blow the lid on this, fact and this is by faar not the only instance.
But thanks for proving my point that people rather want to be willfully ignorant and then act all surprised when it blows up in their faces.

"An independent inquiry into child sexual abuse in the town, led by Professor Alexis Jay, was established in 2013 for Rotherham Council.[3] The inquiry's initial report, published on 26 August 2014, condemned the failure of the authorities in Rotherham to act effectively against the abuse and even, in some cases, to acknowledge that it was taking place.[4][5][6] The report estimated that 1,400 children had been sexually abused in the town between 1997 and 2013, predominantly by gangs of British-Pakistani men.[7] Abuses described included abduction, rape, torture and sex trafficking of children.[6]"

"Widespread organised child sexual abuse took place in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England, between 1997 and 2013. Local investigations into the abuse began in 1999, although some reports were never finalised or made public by the authorities.[1] In 2010, five men of Pakistani heritage were found guilty of a series of sexual offences against girls as young as twelve.[2]"

That has absolutely nothing to do with the EU

Labour and the Tories have ignored the calls from your working class Brit to get a grasp on things and they've been ignored. Towns have been gutted, families have been hit hard by low wages, communities have been decimated by different cultures that don't try to integrate, the NHS and schooling have been hit hard by increased demand (and bad policy), affordable homes can't be built to compensate for the massive growth. People have genuine problems and they've been failed by both Labour and the Tories.

None of this has anything to do with EU membership.

KooopaKid

Banned
It's not about being fucking open minded, it's about not gutting your country. People are actually trying to downplay the severity of what just happened with, "think of their feelings". Fuck their feelings. They actively voted to literally worsen their current decision big time. It's not a bubble, they're idiotic, xenophobic people who got used, and sadly, the party that played them is even saying they were played without a shred of shame.

It's not a complex opinion. Don't even try that shit. There was loads of information detailing what would occur if the UK left the EU and they voted against their interest. Calling it complex is a travesty and so is hiding behind it. There are some decisions you don't leave up to a bunch of emotional idiots.

Ok, we're clearly not even talking about the same things lol

Exactly.

People just don't want to think logically about the voting patterns because they are unhappy with the result.

This argument has been debunked time and time again. Immigrant voters arent nearly enough to account for the pro immigration votes in regions with lots of immigrants.

as if what happenned today could not happen tomorrow because the market have become volatile. As fi volatile market aren't the worse thing for any kind of stable economy.

But yeah , carry on. Doesn't matter at all /s

There is a huge difference between volatility and the rhetoric a lot of people are using when talking about the pound devaluation and FTSE crash of the last hours after Brexit was basically confirmed.

I am not saying that there isn't going to be hard economic times for the UK but THIS current reaction isn't a reaction based on that reality that is coming but rather speculators getting out of the markets causing a sell rally that took down several ill informed people with them.

If all you took from the last 10 hours of trading was "Lowest valuation of the pound in 30 years!" then maybe you shouldn't even be reading economic news because clearly you know nothing about currency exchange markets.

Ashes

Banned
Such a shame that the huge aging population who tend to vote with near 100% turnout and overwhelmingly towards leaving are the ones who'll be least affected by the result..

Eh? The older poorer generation will be the most affected this coming winter. Food prices are already difficult for some. And some people will choose either lights, heating or grub.

Shiggy

1400 children in rotherham alone over years with knowledge of some politican, various help groups and media all scared they get labeled racist if the blow the lid on this, fact and this is by faar not the only instance.

And that was all financed with EU money or what's the relation?

GHG

How can that be besides the point? Why is anyone voting for something that they don't think will actually help them?

Some people just want to make everyone else (especially the government) suffer like they have. Sad but it's true.

1400 children by Pakistanis in rotherham alone over years with knowledge of some politican, various help groups and media all scared they get labeled racist if the blow the lid on this, fact and this is by faar not the only instance.

You really think I am not aware of this case?

Your wikipedia dumps are making you look stupid.

And I am calling you racist because I know your type. It's a trojan horse way to get across your racist views.

It won't work and again has NOTHING to do with the EU.

SomTervo

I agree with this but there are migrants in my area can be hostile which I have witnessed first hand.

I can guarantee you the proportion of migrants who are violent in your area will be the same proportion of locals/natives who are violent in your area.

For argument's sake, say 10 in 1,000 people are 'violent people'. In your city of hundreds of thousands, tens of thousands of those people will be 'violent people'. If 10,000 immigrants come in, 100 of those people will be 'violent people'.

I don't doubt that you have seen inter-ethnic violence happen (I have in Glasgow) but you're being selective and kidding yourself if you think they're a bigger risk than locals/natives to the city.

manfestival

I dont really know what this means so can someone explain why this is so bad or at least someone give their opinion as to what is so bad about it

Driving home from work, it just really sunk in, that beautiful country that gave the world so much, died today. Maybe a bit dramatic but fuck it. England died today
Counterpoint: Little England returned to its old habits — formed across many, many centuries — of fucking everything up through nationalistic, xenophobic impulses that have no basis in anything other than the country's own inflated sense of God-given, monarchical self-importance.

Some people still can't handle that we desperately need to move towards an interdependent, post-national world to stand any chance of addressing our coming climate apocalypse (of which Syria is just one canary in the coal mine). Because they've been lied to since birth by hee-hawing public-school donkeys and an old lady who wears nice hats and gloves. Because they think their problems are brown people and political correctness — and not decades of self-inflicted austerity wounds, rancorous individualism, and total and utter submission to transnational capital.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bloomberg live has its action-movie musical theme out today, never heard it before. Marc is shaking.

THe areas with low cost housing voted out? I wonder why that is.

My thinking is it's the low income areas that have a less positive experience with the EU, and were therefore swayed by leave.

It's poorer areas that experience the 'job-stealing, criminal' element of migration. They also might not be places that have the means to travel through the EU, meet and have a great relationship with people of a multicultural background. They're more likely to swallow the boogeyman Nigel and co have been selling.

The result is heartbreaking to me. We have to push towards unity in this world to have a chance at a real future, and apparently half my country doesn't want that. I don't think leaving will be all doom and gloom, but my uni friends are already talking about how this is making them have to rethink the plans and career paths they've had for years.

And all of this is led by a party I didn't vote for. Ugh...

They would not fucking riot. The Leave voters are primarily age 50 and up. The rioting a few years ago was from angry young people, if anything those same people have cause to riot now because their voices weren't heard here.

They were heard is just that the other side was louder, democracy how does it works?

mcz117chief

Oh sweet irony

Is it? I am reading it as "regions that give most of it's money to the EU want to leave" so I guess they don't like their money leaving for the EU, it is a close minded reason but a valid one.

edit: I re-read it again, I get it now. They actually get most of their money from the EU because of the export.

As someone who voted to remain, and whose entire family voted remain, all I feel today is that I simply don't wish to live in this country any more. I don't even want to classify myself as being British either if it means being part of a country that is so overwhelmingly short sighted that they'd vote this way.

Ricky 7

So annoyed about this outcome. At least it'll be entertaining to see the uneducated Leave voters regretting this decision once the adverse effects start affecting individuals.

Plum

Eh? The older poorer generation will be the most affected this coming winter. Food prices are already difficult for some. And some people will choose either lights, heating or grub.

And yet they voted for it. It's their decision, they must face the consequences. I pity the elderly who voted remain. They care more about their own and their grandchildrens future than anyone who voted leave.

I dont really know what this means so can someone explain why this is so bad or at least someone give their opinion as to what is so bad about it

Rise of nationalism in politics in the UK and across the world and a movement towards deglobalisation. The last time we saw changes in the political landscape like this in Europe it ended up in two world wars.

Kinan

Payet and players like him would definitely get a work permit. It'll be a concern for the younger EU players who don't have many (if any) caps with their national teams.

You need to be in 75% of your national team matches over last two years. Payet had been involved in 4 out 10 in 2015.... Now he is on board with 7/7 in 2016, but averaged it will still be not enough to get over the limit atm. He will get enough caps at the end of the year though.

well yes, the places that have a lot of immigrants are going to vote for pro immigration parties

but that doesn't show how the non immigrants in those places voted and the ignores that people with little immigration can look at places with a lot of immigration and make an informed decision and basically go "fuck that, we want none of it" not to mention people who moved from places with a lot of immigration to places where there are little

Most people who immigrated aren't eligible to vote though, because they need Austrian citizenship to be allowed to.
So people with migration background, if they are indeed voting, are Austrians by any legal definition.

I don't doubt it would be different in the UK.

I also doubt that the people who live in areas with little immigration truly are making an informed decision if they go "fuck that we want none of it", given the fact immigration means economic prosperity.

operon

My wife is technically Irish, her mother was born in Ireland and is an Irish passport holder, I wonder if she can get an Irish passport for herself and my son although I hear changes in nationality can screw up the us visa waiver

It shouldn't do that. I went to Florida last year, and my wife had already a UK passport, but I'm from the south and so only have a Irish passport, so my wife and son got an Irish passport. For the esta my wife put the irish passport first then put on the british one as the second. no problems

It's not about being fucking open minded, it's about not gutting your country. People are actually trying to downplay the severity of what just happened with, "think of their feelings". Fuck their feelings. They actively voted to literally worsen their current decision big time. It's not a bubble, they're idiotic, xenophobic people who got used, and sadly, the party that played them is even saying they were played without a shred of shame.

It's not a complex opinion. Don't even try that shit. There was loads of information detailing what would occur if the UK left the EU and they voted against their interest. Calling it complex is a travesty and so is hiding behind it. There are some decisions you don't leave up to a bunch of emotional idiots.
Hm.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Counterpoint: Little England returned to its old habits — formed across many, many centuries — of fucking everything up through nationalistic, xenophobic impulses that have no basis in anything other than the country's own inflated sense of God-given, monarchical self-importance.

Some people still can't handle that we desperately need to move towards an interdependent, post-national world to stand any chance of addressing our coming climate apocalypse (of which Syria is just one canary in the coal mine). Because they've been lied to since birth by hee-hawing public-school donkeys and an old lady who wears nice hats and gloves. Because they think their problems are brown people and political correctness — and not decades of self-inflicted austerity wounds, rancorous individualism, and total and utter submission to transnational capital.

Oh give me a break. The most pro-leave nation in the UK was WALES.

Referenda in the UK are not legally binding in any way, they are advisory. Parliament is sovereign and could chose to ignore this if they wanted. For obvious reasons they will not do that though.

I really hope this is the case - 48% of the population don't want to leave so it could be argued in government that while the majority won - the margin was so slim and the outcome is potentially so negative that it's a no go

Hell the fact the leave campaign have now admitted to big statements on their marketing being false surely adds fuel to the fire that the refurendum shouldn't go through

SomTervo

Fucking

Killed it

Thank you for being on NeoGAF

Oh give me a break. The most pro-leave nation in the UK was WALES.

The bit about England being at fault was a bit disingenuous, though

Oh sweet irony

13522986_818404601317_9005696151091656564_o.jpg

( ._.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom