• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Proud that Liverpool voted Remain. I visited there last week for the first time in years. It was the European capital of culture a few years ago and the regeneration has really turned the city around.

I think most people here aren't saying Leave was the right choice, it's just that saying Leave voters are all racists is absurdly reductive. It's about economics, class resentment etc as much as anything else. The referendum became a referendum on whether or not you approve of Britain today unfortunately.

As someone living in Liverpool still, thanks. Its a city proud of being multicultural, despite being relatively poor still.

I've been watching world markets this morning and this has had (and probably will continue to have) much more of a global impact than I thought.

I can't believe that voters would do this to their own economy. When the US had it's huge collapse, it wasn't due to anything we voted on.

MUnited83

For you.
I never said it will help thats just jumping to conclusion also no i am not a leave voter i am from austria jumping again but does it help to call everyone that voted leave a racist? Does it help that the eu prevents deportations for serious criminals, does it help that the eu makes immigration from outside the eu harder, does it help that you have Pakistani groups that sexually abuse and rape children in the thousands and everyone that talks about it gets screamed down with racist (bbc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAErXUlMYXM) to the point that the media and politicians actively ignored because they feared being call racist by the opposition?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_sex_trafficking_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telford_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_sex_abuse_case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aylesbury_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banbury_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keighley_sex_gang

The willful ignorance of people that dont want to deal with or see the problems with immigration are the true PR for the leave vote and even for right wing parties.
You are really doing this to yourselves and dont even notice it.

Ah yes, that is indeed so related to the EU

oh wait

it isn't

The EU’s top leaders have said they expect the UK to act on its momentous vote to leave the union “as soon as possible, however painful that process may be” and that there will be “no renegotiation”. “This is an unprecedented situation, but we are united in our response,” they said in a joint statement.
0XhxF8u.gif

I don't think people who voted Brexit truly had a grasp of how fucked they just made the U.K.

This is historic levels of fucked.

I've been watching world markets this morning and this has had (and probably will continue to have) much more of a global impact than I thought.

I can't believe that voters would do this to their own economy. When the US had it's huge collapse, it wasn't due to anything we voted on.

The U.K. pretty much just fell on its' own sword out of bigotry. What is amazing is see the leaders who egged on the Brexit crowd slowly back away like "uhhh... we uhh... we were only kinda for this... uhhh"

So:

- Major uncertainty in the UK economy;
- Scotland and Northern Ireland open to a referendum to leave the UK. Who knows about Gibraltar;
- Both major UK parties are in a total mess;

Hazzuh

I really hope this is the case - 48% of the population don't want to leave so it could be argued in government

No chance mate, this is a done deal. This is what most of the Conservatives always wanted and most Labour MPs live in areas that voted Leave, they can't ignore that.

As someone living in Liverpool still, thanks. Its a city proud of being multicultural, despite being relatively poor still.

I was only in the city centre but it was great tbh. I was with my girlfriend and we both preferred it to Manchester where we were the day before.

azyless

You need to be in 75% of your national team matches over last two years. Payet had been involved in 4 out 10 in 2015.... Now he is on board with 7/7 in 2016, but averaged it will still be not enough to get over the limit atm. He will get enough caps at the end of the year though.
It's not as cut and dry as that and you can appeal the decision.

Shiggy

So annoyed about this outcome. At least it'll be entertaining to see the uneducated Leave voters regretting this decision once the adverse effects start affecting individuals.

You really think they would understand the link? You really think they have the capabilities?

So to put this in a US perspective would this be like some large state like California or NY deciding to say fuck it, we want to be independent? We will have our own money, companies in our state can't trade as easily with the other 50 states. No ease of travel or moving.

Its more like the Trump vote, a great deal of it is a middle finger to the government/establishment. I suspect we will see a similar reaction here in November if he pulls out a win.

The polls in the UK were way off because it looks like many people in the UK didn't want the stigma attached to admitting that they would vote to leave. As a comparison a friend of mine ( who is voting for Trump) was polled last month and he said he was voting for Hillary. When I asked him why he said he felt the admitting his Trump support would put him on someones hate list.

Ashes

Banned
I dont really know what this means so can someone explain why this is so bad or at least someone give their opinion as to what is so bad about it

Britain has voted to leave the EU. This has sent shockwaves around the world, and caused a lot of volatility in the markets. At one point the Pound had dropped to levels not seen since 1986. It has since stabilised. But now we enter a period of uncertainty.

Mahonay

Banned
Oh sweet irony

13522986_818404601317_9005696151091656564_o.jpg
Same thing happens in the US too. Poor right winged voters who get assistance themselves voting against their own interests because they get fully caught up in the fervor. They'll say "THIS IS AMERICA" with out actually having any actual idea what that truly means.

So, what does all of this economic turmoil mean for the most vulnerable living there? Isn't this going to help amplify whatever current issues are already stressing state services, like the NHS? Are those dependent upon the state for their quality of life screwed now or is it now just a matter of accelerating toward whatever wall was already seen coming up in terms of funding and staffing? I mean, is the outlook for the poor, the physical/mentally handicapped, and generally disadvantaged even bleaker now than before this vote. Wasn't the push for defunding public schooling and eliminating the paying for university tuition already on the table before now?

Symphonia

Banned
would it make you feel better if we rejoined you
Which reminds me, I read a comment somewhere on Twitter (from someone I used to follow, I don't know more purely because of this) that pretty much implied this referendum doesn't matter because, if after a month we don't like it, we can just join with the EU again.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I wonder however, how is the system regulated? What are these "institutional safeguards" you mentioned.

Several things in fact:
- We have proportional representation, which insures that the constitution of our parliament actually reflects the will of the voting populace (but that's true of most representative democracies as well, of course; I know that the UK with its FPtP system is a special case in that regard).
- There is no oppositional party system. No party has an absolute majority in parliament (as in the UK) and there are also no formal coalitions among parties (as, for example, in Germany). Individual bills are drafted and passed as a result of compromises among several parties.
- Same goes for the executive branch. Our government is a directorate of seven ministers elected from the country's four largest parties. We don't have a PM calling the shots and setting the agenda, but a committee of politicians with different ideas and ideologies being bound to constructively work together and compromise to actually get things done.
- All this means that bills passing through parliament are usually rather moderate compromises that already have the support of several parties. Swiss parliament procedures are usually very slow because of that whole "finding compromises" thing, but it also means less "scattershot politics". When a bill passes, it usually means that it's here to stay and won't be rescinded by a different government just a few years down the line.
- Furthermore, politicians are fully aware that controversial bills will ultimately have to pass a people's referendum. This means that they tend not to come up with proposals that go too far or are too radical, because radical (far-left or far-right) bills usually don't stand a chance in a referendum.
- With regards to people's initiatives, they're quite rare to actually pass, because you don't just have to carry the majority of the voting populace but of the Cantons (states) as well.
- Also, people's initiatives can only be proposed on a constitutional level. That means that if an initiative passes, it is up to the government and/or parliament to actually implement this and come up with the actual laws. Usually, this means that radical proposals put forward through people's initiatives are, if they actually manage to pass a vote, toned down significantly the parliamentary procedure that follows.

That's just a very rough outline of what I meant by "institutional safeguards". I'm not saying that it's perfect (nothing is), but considering the sheer amount of issues that we have the privilege to vote on each year, I think it's safe to say that the system works out very well in >90% of the cases. As I said, however, all of this is deeply ingrained in the structure and everyday reality of our political system, so it's a different beast to a purely representative democracy doing a one-off referendum on a momentous issue.

knavish

I've seen a few reports British Asian people over 40 vote leave while their children vote remain. Too much focus on racism and Trump nonsense when for a lot of people there's other reasons.

talking from personal experience I know that some older UK Indians that I know (I count my parents in this) are very conservative bordering on racists......"we don't want any more immigrants".....hold on you're an immigrant yourself! Hypocrisy is strong!

I've abstained from commenting so far, but I'm gutted.

I always thought our country was great (baring a few issues). I thought our society was tolerant and accepting of people/cultures etc. We've done some horrible stuff over the years but at signs of trouble we've cut and run. Today has proved isn't the country I grew up in.

But, I have to accept the decision thats been made! I'm moving to Scotland when they gain their independence......if they'll take us all.

jem0208

Is it? I am reading it as "regions that give most of it's money to the EU want to leave" so I guess they don't like their money leaving for the EU, it is a close minded reason but a valid one.
That means they get there money from the EU, not the other way around.

Lucumo

It's a sad day for Europe. But it was a sad Europe anyway. The EU only cares about economy (and not in a sustainable way either, just look at Greece).
Greece came in with falsified statistics (without those, they would have never been accepted) and as a messed up country. It would have fallen apart anyway and it was definitely the wrong decision to take them in.

I wonder how their flag will look after N.Ireland and Scotland jump ship

will they revert or will they try something new for their flag

I wonder if the Welsh will leave too just to for the same arguments as Britain

zonezeus

I think posters claiming "everyone that disagrees with me is an ignorant moron" are missing the point on why this happened, though.

If you look at where the votes went, it's clearly not along party lines. This isn't a right vs left thing, or a north vs south thing. It's almost entirely an inner-city vs everyone else thing. Almost all of the events in the political make up of the UK since the recession can be seen through a lens of people outside of cities feeling like they've been left behind, ignored, not been appreciated and aren't represented by their leaders. Unless someone genuinely feels like the people of Scotland have some magic fairy dust that they put in the water that makes everyone there lovely and liberal despite having basically the same financial situation as the rest of the country, it's clear to me that the SNP have managed to fill a gap left by Labour wherein the people of Scotland do feel like their have politicians who understand them and represent them and know what it's like to be them. The SNP were then rewarded for this at the ballot box and the people of Scotland don't wish to rock the boat by voting out of the EU.

Those people in the rural communities in England and Wales that feel like they've been ignored do want to rock the boat. For some it's seen as about immigration and for others jobs and for others waiting times at hospitals or wage suppression or sovereignty or whatever other reason, but it fundamentally comes down to people being fed up of their voice not being heard and wanted to do something to make it get heard and bring about change, because they're fed up with a distant elite that doesn't understand what is important to them. So to people surprised at why this results come in (and it's surprised me, but to read this thread you'd think there'd be scarcely more than a handful of people that'd vote to leave), I think that's why. Dismissing all these people as idiots or ignorant or stupid or lied to by the press despite every major party's machine working towards a remain vote and half the media (including some of Mordoch's papers, by the way, so don't give me that shit) is missing the point entirely. This is a representative democracy and these people feel like they aren't represented. Quelle surprise.

Very well said. There are growing groups of people everywhere whose voice is being blatantly ignored, because they are deemed unfit to make decisions about their country or even themselves. If you're not young, fit and rich college graduate your opinion on anything is irrelevant, your rights are not always guaranteed and your needs are not something your government is typically concerned about; basically, if you're poor, uneducated and/or old your only role in society is to always shut up and "take one for the team". No wonder people are getting royally pissed and want to vote for anything, even the dumbest of things, only to upset the status quo constantly shitting on them. So-called "elites" here in Poland had a very similar reaction when PiS won the last elections, the media and social media were full of themselves, proclaiming that "stupid people sold their country for some chump change from the government". Well, here's the news - when for decades you bend over backwards for international capital, don't offer people even the basic social safety nets for the sake of "austerity", ruin working conditions, introduce policies that lead to stagnating wages and don't actively try to fight monopolies or even indirectly support them, something is going to break.

nOoblet16

Proud that Liverpool voted Remain. I visited there last week for the first time in years. It was the European capital of culture a few years ago and the regeneration has really turned the city around..

I love it that Liverpool is progressive despite being relatively poor.
So many people take shit on the city but it is more global and tolerant of multiculturalism than many other "better cities".

Counterpoint: Little England returned to its old habits — formed across many, many centuries — of fucking everything up through nationalistic, xenophobic impulses that have no basis in anything other than the country's own inflated sense of God-given, monarchical self-importance.

Some people still can't handle that we desperately need to move towards an interdependent, post-national world to stand any chance of addressing our coming climate apocalypse (of which Syria is just one canary in the coal mine). Because they've been lied to since birth by hee-hawing public-school donkeys and an old lady who wears nice hats and gloves. Because they think their problems are brown people and political correctness — and not decades of self-inflicted austerity wounds, rancorous individualism, and total and utter submission to transnational capital.

yes

So:

- Major uncertainty in the UK economy;
- Scotland and Northern Ireland open to a referendum to leave the UK. Who knows about Gibraltar;
- Both major UK parties are in a total mess;

This vote should never have even happened, and if it did a simple majority should not be the deciding factor. This has so many implications that a simple 50+1 doesn't cut it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Like I said before, the EU will likely double down on "punishing those who oppose the union". They'll make an example out of the UK because otherwise it would open the door to everyone else trying to do the same. Same attitude they had towards Greece.

The EU better do really well over the coming years otherwise its attempts at keeping unity risk doing the opposite. The self-inflected wounds from the Greece debacle are still unhealed, and more are likely to come not just from Greece. At some point, the union will just look like a bloody mess if this is the only way it can remain united; by scaring members into staying.

Should have had reforms years ago to avoid the current mess.

Curious to see what happens in Portugal if the pound crashes.

Baybars

Banned
There is nothing more sad than see brexiters wondering if they made a mistake. We told you this was going to gut us. And the pain is only going to grow

Lucumo

Its not fear. Its stupid racism. The same we happen in Germany when uneducated people from eastern germany mostly think polish people are "teeking our jebs", while they actually dont wanna get asparagus out of fields..

I think it's more about drug dealing and stealing/smuggling which is actually an ever-growing problem and has been for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom