• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before, the EU will likely double down on "punishing those who oppose the union".
I dont believe the EU would do that. I understand there are those in the EU who wish to spite Britain (heck I can empathise!) but in terms of whats best of the european economy overall this would impose an awful lot of pain on everyone.

People really need to understand. It's not punishment. It's just revoking the privileges you get for being in the EU.

If you can be outside EU and still get the best parts of being in EU, without the obligations, what's the point of being in EU?

Kinyou

It's crazy to me to make a decision like this with such a small majority. This will have such a large effect on the country it should at least take a vast majority, like 65% or 75%

Hazzuh

Any thoughts on what will happen to London? Will its status as a world financial capital diminish?

Speaking to some people I know who work in the city and they were more optimistic than I expected. Hard to say right now, we need to know what deal the EU strike with the UK.

aeolist

Banned
CluMl-qUYAAufx-.jpg

defel

Is it possible for the EU to say "we kick the UK out because we're not going to wait till the UK gets a new prime minister to figure it out"?

Seems like it would be the best move right now if the EU wants to make an example out of it.

I dont believe the EU would do that. I understand there are those in the EU who wish to spite Britain (heck I can empathise!) but in terms of whats best of the european economy overall this would impose an awful lot of pain on everyone.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
The EU 'experiment' is one of the boldest in human history: an effort to unify 200+ million humans with varying cultural backgrounds. It is doomed to fail in it's current form. Bureaucracy and inefficient dictate from Brussels will be it's downfall.

The EU needs a huge reform: accept that it's members are too different to be ruled uniformly. A slimmed down EU, providing general rules and laws that can be implemented according to the country's needs. Less is more.

I do think we need to stick together in some cases more than others. I still think a single military will be beneficial.

Hasney

Some people just want to make everyone else (especially the government) suffer like they have. Sad but it's true.

But when is the breaking point? Because if the suffering happens, they'll once again be the ones hit hardest and it'll be another vote of "Well, things can't get any worse" and yet a new level is found.

Assuming the next budget has larger austerity measures to prepare (not exactly a stretch if we're in another recession with the current government) and the least fortunate are crapped on again, what's their solution? Another protest vote voting for right wingers happy to take more money out of their pockets? Surely they have to see the trend at this point.

Is it possible for the EU to say "we kick the UK out because we're not going to wait till the UK gets a new prime minister to figure it out"?

Seems like it would be the best move right now if the EU wants to make an example out of it.

No that's a horrible awful idea. Especially when they fought tooth and nail to keep Greece in.

Honestly I'm actually quite concerned about the 30k people living in Gibraltar. Your government has already been bullying Gibraltar at the border for the past few years, and only was deterred by it being part of the EU. With that deterrent falling, Spain is going to have a field day in putting so much pressure onto Gibraltar they're either going to literally be blackmailed into joint sovereignty of UK/Spain or have to face getting fucked by the Spanish government over and over again.

Even if Gibraltar decided to go independent, unless it's as part of the proposed Scottish-Londoner union, they'll still have the Spanish gun pointed at their head.

I'm too concerned about the 9k spaniards that go to work to Gibraltar each day. They get paid in pounds but live in an Euro area, etc...

This is a fucked up situation to all people in that area.

It's crazy to me to make a decision like this with such a small majority. This will have such a large effect on the country it should at least take a vast majority, like 75%
Stuff like this should be the same as a constitutional change. Over here that is:

- 2/3 majority in parliament
- two consecutive parliaments need to approve it by that majority

Just making an enormous decision like this based on how people feel one day is so, so wrong.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's what is reportedly being considered in Brussels, yes. They're exploring whether the referendum result itself already triggers Article 50. If so, the process may start as early as next Tuesday.

I, too, doubt they're going to wait three months until a new PM has been named.

That would be amazing. I don't like how the EU has handled itself for years (I am pro-union, but this particular union is riddled with issues that make its demise more than eventually likely, unless the economy does really well continuously), but I would love to see the EU kick the UK out and not wait for the UK to make any decision. Cameron and Co. either wanted to lose, or hoped to use this as a bargaining chip, so I'd be glad to know that the EU wouldn't fall for any of it.

But in the end I still think Cameron and co. were planning to lose this, because I believe he does whatever Murdoch and the Queen wants.

they've just proven the truth of that though. the people who voted to leave are going to be the ones most hurt by this. it's going to do nothing the stop the issues they have and will only serve to further empower the elites in control of the country and the economy.
Yup. Markets will rebound. City bankers will make out like bandits. Companies will move if they have to, send job elsewhere if it's profitable (and it will be). Politicians will still have their jobs, and everyone who has a degree and a nice mortgage will still have a degree and a nice mortgage. There still won't be the stable industrial and civil service jobs that were there before, and there never will be again.

I'm just curious whom the Leave voters are going to blame for their continued suffering over the decades ahead. Presumably EU bureaucrats? It's always those bloody bureaucrats. And the migrants flooding in.

-duskdoll-

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that a good number of people voted to leave just to spite their government, and might have actually caused this result. That has to be a next level of ignorance. Whatever your opinion is and whichever vote you cast do it because you truly believe it will benefit your country, not because you want to be edgy. "I voted to leave but I didn't actually believe my vote would matter" What kind of response is that? That is INSANE.

I'm not saying that, but I was getting the impression that the poster I quoted was saying people who voted leave are less likely to have a degree, so leave voters are stupid etc etc

I think it is very much the case that leave voters are not educated enough on the subject to make this type of decision. Whether they have degrees or not doesn't really matter in the end. The thing that matters is "do they understand what they're voting for", and I think that's demonstrably not the case if you look at the campaign waged by leave, and the amount of anti-intellectualism and sheer misinformation present within it.

I've said before that I haven't yet seen a salient point being made in this thread regarding "leave", and since then, the only thing I've seen being argued is that those people voted leave to "rock the boat" because they've been ignored for so long, whatever that means in a quantifiable sense. If you can't see why this is a bad reason to leave the EU, then I don't know what to tell you.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. I'm seeing a dislike to recent eastern European immigration.

Just to turn the northern narrative and great unwashed.
7ETb.jpg

Huge swathes of southerners have voted leave, the pockets around London have some very slim victories. Many rich southerners have voted to leave, Many rich home counties that have lived and worked in London voted to leave.

The real urban city areas of Liverpool, Manchester and central London aren't enough to fight the surrounding areas.

Quick press the "RESET" button!

Ashes

Banned
So many people on my Facebook are sharing a petition to have a 2nd referendum, complaining that they did not have time to vote yesterday..............,

4 point difference. Too big a gap. The game is up. Never seen so much regret for voting/not voting but Remain lost.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Still can't understand the reasoning behind this.

Well, Britain is in a bit of a mess right now. It didn't use to be in a mess before it joined the EU, so it has to be EU's fault. That, and immigrants.

Of course, that's completely ignoring all the other factors that helped Britain become whatit is today, but the Leave Campaign was not available for facts, so here we are.

daveo42

Banned
The EU’s top leaders have said they expect the UK to act on its momentous vote to leave the union “as soon as possible, however painful that process may be” and that there will be “no renegotiation”. “This is an unprecedented situation, but we are united in our response,” they said in a joint statement.

Already dropping the hammer. Leavers should have seen this coming, but they were blinded by false nationalism and xenophobia to care. Still, good luck guys.

People really need to understand. It's not punishment. It's just revoking the privileges you get for being in the EU.

If you can be outside EU and still get the best parts of being in EU, without the obligations, what's the point of being in EU?

Love how people think they are entitled to the benefits of a EU free market.

I'm too concerned about the 9k spaniards that go to work to Gibraltar each day. They get paid in pounds but live in an Euro area, etc...

This is a fucked up situation to all people in that area.

There's a reason 96% of the Gibraltar vote was for remain. They are the ones I foresee having the biggest problems once the UK drops out of the EU.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The EU 'experiment' is one of the boldest in human history: an effort to unify 200+ million humans with varying cultural backgrounds. It is doomed to fail in it's current form. Bureaucracy and inefficient dictate from Brussels will be it's downfall.

The EU needs a huge reform: accept that it's members are too different to be ruled uniformly. A slimmed down EU, providing general rules and laws that can be implemented according to the country's needs. Less is more.

I do think we need to stick together in some cases more than others. I still think a single military will be beneficial.
The members are ruled differently...

Also, more than 500 million!

Auctopus

Still can't understand the reasoning behind this.

There isn't any. Dave-oh and the lads fell for lies pasted on the sides of buses and memes that fed the predjudice they already harboured within them.

Grannies and grandads who have about 10 years left didnt like the look of those "coloured folk" who moved in down the road and assumed voting leave would get rid of them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

As I recall there's actually no mechanism for member states to be kicked out by others. I suppose they could pass an act of EU parliament but that might be seen as a bit pointless when Article 50 exists and the UK is expected to invoke it by the end of the year.

Stuff like this should be the same as a constitutional change. Over here that is:

- 2/3 majority in parliament
- two consecutive parliaments need to approve it by that majority

Just making an enormous decision like this based on how people feel one day is so, so wrong.

I don't think any nation allows for such massive changes with just a simple majority. The US requires a two-thirds vote in Congress and then 3/4ths of the States themselves must ratify to pass Constitutional amendments for example.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They say they're gonna re-negotiate the trade deals but will it be that easy? The EU will most definitely make it hard for them and the US isn't really an ally of anyone. This was a huge mistake. However, I do think the markets will bounce back eventually and it's just a temporary correction.

Tambini

Someone on my facebook complaining that the leave vote won but he didn't vote himself because "I don't vote because the voting system in this country is fixed by multi-billion pound corporations who treat our government like puppets"

nOoblet16

So many people on my Facebook are sharing a petition to have a 2nd referendum, complaining that they did not have time to vote yesterday..............,

I'm sorry but that is just rubbish, the voting was open for 15 hours. No one is that busy to not be able to find time to go and vote despite knowing about the day for weeks and months in advance.

So this referendum was non-binding? So what happens now?

This was Cameron's political bet, he basically went to EU and said:"Give me this and remain will win!", EU gave him what he wanted and UK still voted to leave. EU will pressure Cameron to take the pill, they won't allow him to back off of his bet.

The pounds recovering.

That was just one point, there's a myriad of problems that will affect those 9k people that goes to work in Gibraltar.

It's still a big event , no matter how you spin it.
Not the most important , maybe, but still big.

"After the lowest valuation in pound in 30 years, the market is probably back to normal..until tomorrow , maybe"
^^^would that have been better for you ?

The problem is how you take that valuation. The lowest point was 1.30 down from 1.49. Now the current value is 1.38. See the difference? One has a down of almost 13% the other is a little less than 8%. Fear mongering with the headline "LOWEST VALUATION OF THE POUND IN 30 YEARS!" is stupid and even more believing or thinking that it affects you in any way or form (right now) and even more stupid is to not consider the movements of the market before the devaluation of the pound after the confirmation of BREXIT. Because if you don't take into account that previous long week rally you may find yourself asking yourself why did the pound suffer a devaluation so large? Well it devalued at almost 15% because speculators were betting on remain to win and they were thinking in short coming gains by selling on the downside and then re positioning themselves after the dip.

The reality is that the current market today isn't that much different than a week ago with the difference that instead of the pound being valuated at 1.40 it is now sitting at 1.38 a 1.5% downside, which is far from what the rhetoric that some people use, specially when it is clear they know nothing about the markets and the financial industries. This isn't like 2007/2008 levels at all so people should stop paying attention to news they don't understand otherwise they will worry over nothing. Shit will get hard for the UK but not right now.

So does the UK government have any sort of plan about what to do now? I know Cameron doesn't.

No, which is hilarious - at no point in any of this bullshit did anyone ever offer a fucking plan. Oh it's okay if you're a politician, this is politics, your career, you get paid to take the time to make a plan. No one else does, we get to sit here and ponder while the pound tanks.

jonno394

I think it is very much the case that leave voters are not educated enough on the subject to make this type of decision. Whether they have degrees or not doesn't really matter in the end. The thing that matters is "do they understand what they're voting for", and I think that's demonstrably not the case if you look at the campaign waged by leave, and the amount of anti-intellectualism and sheer misinformation present within it.

I've said before that I haven't yet seen a salient point being made in this thread regarding "leave", and since then, the only thing I've seen being argued is that those people voted leave to "rock the boat" because they've been ignored for so long, whatever that means in a quantifiable sense. If you can't see why this is a bad reason to leave the EU, then I don't know what to tell you.

That has nothing to do with going to uni and having a degree thought (imo)

defel

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that a good number of people voted to leave just to spite their government, and might have actually caused this result. That has to be a next level of ignorance. Whatever your opinion is and whichever vote you cast do it because you truly believe it will benefit your country, not because you want to be edgy. "I voted to leave but I didn't actually believe my vote would matter" What kind of response is that? That is INSANE.

I think the motivation of the leave voters runs much deeper than "fuck the establishment". Perhaps thats how its presented but these are people who don't vote in normal elections. What's driven these people to vote us out are bigger issues - immigration, economic disempowerment, relative poverty and a feeling of being abandoned by the political and economic class. These are global issues and in this case its been expressed in this way

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They say they're gonna re-negotiate the trade deals but will it be that easy? The EU will most definitely make it hard for them and the US isn't really an ally of anyone. This was a huge mistake. However, I do think the markets will bounce back eventually and it's just a temporary correction.
You don't have to imagine a vindictive EU to see that the EU will negotiate in their best interests while we negotiate in ours.

I'm sorry but that is just rubbish, the voting was open for 15 hours. No one is that busy to not be able to find time to go and vote despite knowing about the day for weeks and months in advance.

100% agree, there may be some outliers like a death in the family but it does not amount to 700,000 plus voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom