• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
giphy.gif

zonezeus

Sorry but how are the young suddenly the ones holding all the power? The young have voted predominantly Labour in the last two GEs and voted overwhelmingly to remain in this referendum. They've watched as they've had tuition fees hiked up and their benefits stripped away by a government they didn't vote for to appease a group of people who received those things for free but who now, conveniently, believe both of those things are an unsustainable drain on public finances. Now they're watching as easy access to the continent which their parents enjoyed and benefited from is now also stripped away from them despite their wishes. If the young are angry at the callous short-sightedness of the old I would say it's pretty justifiable.

I didn't mean to say the young hold all the power, I wanted to say their opinions are at least heard and usually agreed upon. Whether the government acts accordingly or not is an entirely different matter. On the other hand, the destitute have their voices universally ignored by everyone and voting against something well regarded by what they consider the "establishment" is the only chance to be heard. It's stupid human nature, but it is what it is.

they've just proven the truth of that though. the people who voted to leave are going to be the ones most hurt by this. it's going to do nothing the stop the issues they have and will only serve to further empower the elites in control of the country and the economy.

If anything, these people are misguided by others preying on their disenfranchisement and as such need more help and understanding, not threats of removing their basic democratic rights like voting. Pointing fingers and calling them too stupid to vote will push them even deeper into that siege mentality.

Geist-

I'm not even from the UK and I feel like this is some dream scenario that will become untrue once I wake up. You have my utmost sympathy UK-GAF.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I love it that Liverpool is progressive despite being relatively poor.
So many people take shit on the city but it is more global and tolerant of multiculturalism than many other "better cities".

We've a long history of migratin into the city (for instance, oldest chinatown in Europe).

In addition, the rest of the country and media tending to demonise the city, has led people to band together in a way you don't really see in other cities.

Lego Boss

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that a good number of people voted to leave just to spite their government, and might have actually caused this result. That has to be a next level of ignorance. Whatever your opinion is and whichever vote you cast do it because you truly believe it will benefit your country, not because you want to be edgy. "I voted to leave but I didn't actually believe my vote would matter" What kind of response is that? That is INSANE.

I know. It's just a different reality.

As Zizek says: First as tragedy, then as farce. It really is farcical in its tragedy.

Google

And, imho, don't take it to hearts uk-gaf, but apart from london, which is bursting with work to brim (thus excessive housing cost), the rest of the uk is not *so* well off in terms of employment and median wage :)

What the fuck are you talking about?

Brighton, Reading, Swindon, Cambridge, Aberdeen, Warrington are booming right now.

Falls are just as important though. It shows volatility. And you keep saying that all this is normal when it is not. This might be the greatest period of uncertainty the EU has faced.

Again it isn't normal but it can be explained which is far more important. That is why the markets have recover. FTSE is basically on levels as last monday. This isn't a SELL EVERYTHING PANIC, if you ever saw one you would know it immediately and the devaluation of the pound was is now on a low point but not much different that the point when the market started the rally a WEEK AGO.

Selling that fear is exactly what cause people to lose money on the stock market from their 401k or mutual founds or private investments or their own currency.

SomTervo

I don't think Scottish independence is a guarantee by the way.

Oil has tanked, they won't have the pound and it would take them years to join the EU. If you think England and Wales are going to fail then Scotland wouldn't stand a chance. It has nothing.

The likelihood of it happening has nothing to do with oil? These are two unrelated lines of thinking.

There's a very slim chance we would get another referendum, but say it happened, and we got independence, then we'd be sitting in a potential economic bog

One doesn't impact the other, they are just disparate sequential events

EU didn't give him what he wanted - at least they didn't give him what he promised the British public he was going to get. He over-promised and under-delivered which was sadly a terrible start for the Remain campaign.

He certainly got way more thah he should had, even raising more than a few eyebrows in several EU members and setting very alarming precedents in the EU.

The fact is that EU made an incredible effort the meet Cameron demands assuring them the Remain would win. UK was already a privilaged state inside the union and still they decide to leave.

EU won't allow Cameron backing off from calling the article 50.

faridmon

I'm sorry but that is just rubbish, the voting was open for 15 hours. No one is that busy to not be able to find time to go and vote despite knowing about the day for weeks and months in advance.

Not to give them any excuse, yes they are at fault for not voting, but 15 hours being enough is bullshit for many people. My boss, who would vote remain, happen to have meetings regarding so many projects during those 15 hours, and London itself was hard to navigate due to flooding some areas, such as Wimbledon, had.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How could they when the referendum isn't even legally binding in the UK?

The EU isn't binded to what the UK makes of its own referendums. The EU can consider the results as it pleases and write legislation that is vague enough to allow them to proceed to vote to invoke article 50.

dealer-

Gets to the heart of it. Probably one of the saddest days of my life to be honest. Absolutely gutted.

The lost friendships etc is particularly poignant as a couple of friends married Polish nationals and now that will be lost for future generations.

doesn't that depend on the negotiations britain will now be undertaking with an EU council that doesn't like them very much?

Not really. If you want to work in Germany e.g. your employer just have to prove you are needed in the company as a foreigner and a German couldnt do the same job.
Before that they didnt need to offer the proof.

The hard thing now is to prove, that you need a British person, lets say, for an engineering job that a German couldnt do with the same qualifications.

kiguel182

Rumours and reality.

I think EU and UK will move quickly to form a relationship, its in both interests.

But is it really?

If the EU could court these companies to move to the mainland why would they even need the UK?

The UK has a different currency and they aren't the most helpful partners anyway. They never were.

Also, it would be for the best interest of the union if the UK fails because that would make the other countries think twice if they ever think of leaving.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I dont see the racist thing at all, the immigration issue I understand is eastern European in origin and has nothing to do with race or colour.

Net migration into UK is an issue with our housing.

The net issue with housing is the right wing government stopped building council housing, not immigration. Do some research.

Z3M0G

Stuff like this should be the same as a constitutional change. Over here that is:

- 2/3 majority in parliament
- two consecutive parliaments need to approve it by that majority

Just making an enormous decision like this based on how people feel one day is so, so wrong.
Im in Canada , listen to CBC news in my car every day, and it feels like overnight i learned about this even happening and the vote result.

How long has this campaign been going on? I know it was discussed to prior ellection, which was also when?

Oil has tanked, they won't have the pound and it would take them years to join the EU. If you think England and Wales are going to fail then Scotland wouldn't stand a chance. It has nothing.

Well getting rid of the abomination that is Trident will free up some money at least.

Sure the whole world will be lining up to attack Scotland once we are no longer armed with nukes....

The EU needs major changes and reforms to better represent all members states, especially the smaller ones

the EU shouldn't be about freakin' Germany bullying the smaller countries into submission

it should be Federative with each member state as a equal partner, regardless of size

Bollocks

Can somebody please enlighten me how Boris Johnson went from being the mayor of London whose citizens voted to stay to a frontrunner of the #brexit movement.
He of all people should know what is good for London.

aeolist

Banned
Not really. If you want to work in Germany e.g. your employer just have to prove you are needed in the company as a foreigner and a German couldnt do the same job.
Before that they didnt need to offer the proof.

that means the affirmative right to live and work in those countries no longer exists

you seem to be trying to play this off as a minor change but reverting to standard immigration law will massively limit movement

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Rumours and reality.

I think EU and UK will move quickly to form a relationship, its in both interests.

Is it in the EU's best interests to make better deals with people that renounce their membership, or is it in their best interests to make worse ones so as to make an example of the country that did...?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I'm not even from the UK and I feel like this is some dream scenario that will become untrue once I wake up. You have my utmost sympathy UK-GAF.

today has been incredibly depressing. i feel the same way...wondering when i'll wake up. i don't have any faith in the UK anymore and dread to find out who our next PM will be. our currency has tanked and our lives will be much worse off for years to come. the only glimmer of hope is that us in scotland get another independence referendum. i just don't want to be part of the UK anymore.

SomTervo

Net migration into UK is an issue with our housing.

Margaret Thatcher allowed everyone to buy their house. Then she didn't build any new houses.

To this day we still barely build any new houses.

That is why there's a housing bubble.

It is fucking nothing to do with immigration. IT IS BRITISH PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT ALL OF OUR HOUSES AND THERE WERE NONE LEFT

Acorn

Rather go down the pan ourselves than anchored to your right wingers. We're having to face pain either way. Oh and continue to belittle us please it will help the yes vote to hear the arrogant right wing English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom