• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

But when is the breaking point? Because if the suffering happens, they'll once again be the ones hit hardest and it'll be another vote of "Well, things can't get any worse" and yet a new level is found.

Assuming the next budget has larger austerity measures to prepare (not exactly a stretch if we're in another recession with the current government) and the least fortunate are crapped on again, what's their solution? Another protest vote voting for right wingers happy to take more money out of their pockets? Surely they have to see the trend at this point.
They only do what Murdoch tells them. They'd cut off limbs if the sun said so.

I imagine the EU will have to put their foot down hard on the UK and make an example out of them in order to quell other countries considering the same.
this over and over :)
UK already had plenty of advantage...
now they got out? perfect..
should they try to enter again, I really hope that all such advantages are gone..

And, imho, don't take it to hearts uk-gaf, but apart from london, which is bursting with work to brim (thus excessive housing cost), the rest of the uk is not *so* well off in terms of employment and median wage :)

I really want to see how it will turn it for london working scenario now, as they will still hire lots of people from mainland eu, and i don't know how things will work out for the retirement cross-country agreement, retirement plans and whatnot...

ah and.. this one really made my day:
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/farage-says-350million-nhs-pledge-was-a-mistake-5963794/
I mean.. is this for real?

SomTervo

That has nothing to do with going to uni and having a degree thought (imo)

Yeah it's a pretty poor marker. Still a marker to some extent, but not an ideal one at all. More detailed data would be great. Compared with school graduation, college graduation, average incomes, etc.

Any update on turnout by age group?

Like 40% under 24s voted

70% over 50s voted

Or something

playedthemselves.gif

Spuck-uk

Banned
My thinking is it's the low income areas that have a less positive experience with the EU, and were therefore swayed by leave.

It's poorer areas that experience the 'job-stealing, criminal' element of migration. They also might not be places that have the means to travel through the EU, meet and have a great relationship with people of a multicultural background. They're more likely to swallow the boogeyman Nigel and co have been selling.

..except they don't, those areas have far LESS immigration than other areas.

What they do have are a lot more disenfranchised people who've been ignored, and been fed a flase enemy by the papers and politicians.

EU clearly wants to be done with this mess as fast as possible :

Martin Schulz, the president of the European parliament, told the Guardian that EU lawyers were studying whether it was possible to speed up the triggering of article 50 – the untested procedure for leaving the European Union.

“Uncertainty is the opposite of what we need,” Schultz said, adding that it was difficult to accept that “a whole continent is taken hostage because of an internal fight in the Tory party”.

geordiemp

Already dropping the hammer. Leavers should have seen this coming, but they were blinded by false nationalism and xenophobia to care. Still, good luck guys.

Yeah FTSE is down 2 % now for the day, CAC and DAX still - 6 %.

I think I am more worried for EU than UK.

EU clearly wants to be done with this mess as fast as possible :

Yeah, its hurting Eu more than UK, in everybody's interest to get a trade agreement. I bet it goes damn fast !

aeolist

Banned
best post i've seen so far today

CltKzSsUkAEcx1h.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But in the end I still think Cameron and co. were planning to lose this, because I believe he does whatever Murdoch and the Queen wants.

Are you for real? I know sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, but this, especially the bit about the Queen, is something else.

This was Cameron's political bet, he basically went to EU and said:"Give me this and remain will win!", EU gave him what he wanted and UK still voted to leave. EU will pressure Cameron to take the pill, they won't allow him to back off of his bet.

That was just one point, there's a myriad of problems that will affect those 9k people that goes to work in Gibraltar.

EU didn't give him what he wanted - at least they didn't give him what he promised the British public he was going to get. He over-promised and under-delivered which was sadly a terrible start for the Remain campaign.

That has nothing to do with going to uni and having a degree thought (imo)

As someone involved in recruitment I can assure you that degrees don't necessarily equate to intelligence, especially in regard real world issues or in this case politics.

I purposely reframed my argument to "educated" rather than "degree". It's possible to be an idiot with a degree, or a very wel informed person without one. But to say that having a degree isn't very important to make an informed decision is entirely a step too far.

And the choice the "leave" people made, I think at the very least it's pretty easy to establish that it was an uninformed one, if only by the conversation surrounding it.

Plum

I think the motivation of the leave voters runs much deeper than "fuck the establishment". Perhaps thats how its presented but these are people who don't vote in normal elections. What's driven these people to vote us out are bigger issues - immigration, economic disempowerment, relative poverty and a feeling of being abandoned by the political and economic class. These are global issues and in this case its been expressed in this way

The thing is this wasn't a "do you like the establishment?" vote, it was one with major negative consequences for a LOT of people. Voting for leave will not fix any of those issues, in fact it will make the. much, much worse. When Cornwall wakes up in 2017 they're going to realise that they fucked themselves over more than any politician could.

But when is the breaking point? Because if the suffering happens, they'll once again be the ones hit hardest and it'll be another vote of "Well, things can't get any worse" and yet a new level is found.

Assuming the next budget has larger austerity measures to prepare (not exactly a stretch if we're in another recession with the current government) and the least fortunate are crapped on again, what's their solution? Another protest vote voting for right wingers happy to take more money out of their pockets? Surely they have to see the trend at this point.

Maybe they can sidestep austerity measures by going further into debt with their rapidly declining currency and worse credit rating.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
As I recall there's actually no mechanism for member states to be kicked out by others. I suppose they could pass an act of EU parliament but that might be seen as a bit pointless when Article 50 exists and the UK is expected to invoke it by the end of the year.

Yeah but Brussels right now is saying "get on with it, we're not waiting till you get a new PM!", and it seems like a glaring flaw that countries can now use referendums on leaving the EU to use the results as bargaining chips (Greece was different, it was a referendum about a bailout plan, not an EU-exit).

It seems to me like the EU would benefit from immediately passing legislation that would make a pro-exit vote automatically invoke article 50.

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that a good number of people voted to leave just to spite their government, and might have actually caused this result. That has to be a next level of ignorance. Whatever your opinion is and whichever vote you cast do it because you truly believe it will benefit your country, not because you want to be edgy. "I voted to leave but I didn't actually believe my vote would matter" What kind of response is that? That is INSANE.

That's what's driving me up the wall as well. Here in Switzerland where we, admittedly, have a bit of a difficult relationship with the EU as well, people are actually cheering the outcome of the referendum despite the fact that this is going to make our own ongoing negotiations with the EU even more difficult than they already are, because "the Brits really showed those pesky European bureaucrats in Brussels!" Oh, sure they did - by putting a bullet through their own collective head. For fuck's sake! It's shit like this that turns normally sober and intelligent people violent.

There are irrational, borderline pathological self-destructive urges at work here. It's frightening as hell!

Hystzen

Schultz said, adding that it was difficult to accept that “a whole continent is taken hostage because of an internal fight in the Tory party”.

Fuck me what a line and sums up whole reason we had this referendum vote.

Yeah it's a pretty poor marker. Still a marker to some extent, but not an ideal one at all. More detailed data would be great. Compared with school graduation, college graduation, average incomes, etc.

Like 40% under 24s voted

70% over 50s voted

Or something

playedthemselves.gif

Is there a source on those percentages? I wouldn't mind sharing one on Facebook.

Ashes

Banned
The problem is how you take that valuation. The lowest point was 1.30 down from 1.49. Now the current value is 1.38. See the difference? One has a down of almost 13% the other is a little less than 8%. Fear mongering with the headline "LOWEST VALUATION OF THE POUND IN 30 YEARS!" is stupid and even more believing or thinking that it affects you in any way or form (right now) and even more stupid is to not consider the movements of the market before the devaluation of the pound after the confirmation of BREXIT. Because if you don't take into account that previous long week rally you may find yourself asking yourself why did the pound suffer a devaluation so large? Well it devalued at almost 15% because speculators were betting on remain to win and they were thinking in short coming gains by selling on the downside and then re positioning themselves after the dip.

The reality is that the current market today isn't that much different than a week ago with the difference that instead of the pound being valuated at 1.40 it is now sitting at 1.38 a 1.5% downside, which is far from what the rhetoric that some people use, specially when it is clear they know nothing about the markets and the financial industries. This isn't like 2007/2008 levels at all so people should stop paying attention to news they don't understand otherwise they will worry over nothing. Shit will get hard for the UK but not right now.

Falls are just as important though. It shows volatility. And you keep saying that all this is normal when it is not. This might be the greatest period of uncertainty the EU has faced.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Can't anybody who is currently at risk of having their job moved to a different country just move with the job? Does the EU not have worker protections of that nature?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah but Brussels right now is saying "get on with it, we're not waiting till you get a new PM!", and it seems like a glaring flaw that countries can now use referendums on leaving the EU to use the results as bargaining chips (Greece was different, it was a referendum about a bailout plan, not an EU-exit).

It seems to me like the EU would benefit from immediately passing legislation that would make a pro-exit vote automatically invoke article 50.
How could they when the referendum isn't even legally binding in the UK?

gabbo

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that a good number of people voted to leave just to spite their government, and might have actually caused this result. That has to be a next level of ignorance. Whatever your opinion is and whichever vote you cast do it because you truly believe it will benefit your country, not because you want to be edgy. "I voted to leave but I didn't actually believe my vote would matter" What kind of response is that? That is INSANE.

That really isn't that insane given voter apathy over all, and feeling very disconnected from politics. Not that I buy it for a second in this instance, but it's understandable that people not used to having votes matter much would fuck up when unknowingly be given power.

Plum

My family tree is predominantly Welsh and English. I'm trapped here for good. I've left a school I hated after being there for 7 years a few days ago, shame I can't leave a country I hold little love for.

Heartfyre

A Shakespeare quote comes to mind.

"This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
This nurse, this teeming womb of royal kings,
Fear'd by their breed and famous by their birth,
Renowned for their deeds as far from home,
For Christian service and true chivalry,
As is the sepulchre in stubborn Jewry,
Of the world's ransom, blessed Mary's Son,
This land of such dear souls, this dear dear land,
Dear for her reputation through the world,
Is now leased out, I die pronouncing it,
Like to a tenement or pelting farm:
England, bound in with the triumphant sea
Whose rocky shore beats back the envious siege
Of watery Neptune, is now bound in with shame,
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds:
That England, that was wont to conquer others,
Hath made a shameful conquest of itself."

John of Gaunt, Richard II

Carl2291

I don't think Scottish independence is a guarantee by the way.

Oil has tanked, they won't have the pound and it would take them years to join the EU. If you think England and Wales are going to fail then Scotland wouldn't stand a chance. It has nothing.

Yeah. I'm seeing a dislike to recent eastern European immigration.

Just to turn the northern narrative and great unwashed.
7ETb.jpg

Huge swathes of southerners have voted leave, the pockets around London have some very slim victories. Many rich southerners have voted to leave, Many rich home counties that have lived and worked in London voted to leave.

The real urban city areas of Liverpool, Manchester and central London aren't enough to fight the surrounding areas.

qqSW4cCl.jpg

Like 40% under 24s voted

70% over 50s voted

Or something

playedthemselves.gif

For real?

So the usual then.

Apathetic young people and selfish older people fuck over the youth that care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom