• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The United States Grand Prix |OT| Formula 1 Returns to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

A lot of my Austin friends are going even though they've never watched F1 before. It's nice to see this is bringing more fans.

I only know 1 person going but I've never heard of him as being a fan of the sport before this (he is kind of a car guy though). I think a lot of locals will attend to experience the spectacle.. probably will turn them into fans.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My dad will probably be watching this. I'll have to check and see.

TylerD

I have a great panorama of my seat but imgur isn't allowing me to upload on windows phone. That was a fun session. They were breaking loose like crazy off of turn 12. Historic F1 practice is up next.

Chris R

Great fp1 I can see so much of the track from t12.

Need to look into buying a burner sim because my phone is terrible out here roaming on t mobile :(

dubc35

Lewis' helmet
A71SE8ZCUAAD-UHjpglarge.jpg

McLaren's official twitter also saying Verizon replacing Vodafone for USGP only, Vodafone to return in Brazil.

@daisyfrancesca said:

Seats at turn 12 are great, you can see so much of the track! So hyped. Missed Montreal this year for my wedding but this great. Amazing weather too.

Adamm

Ah its great to be able to come home in the evening and look forward to watching FP2 live.

We need more American races for this reason alone!

My god it is a beautiful day. Absolutely perfect weather here at turn 9.

Also, if you're coming to COTA, avoid the sky bridges, 20 minute crossing.

Shaneus

Turns out I have Monday off, so I will be able to watch the race at 5am :)

Bloody hell I love that man. He may not be the best driver, but he is the best man on the track.
I love him too <3 Straight down the line, calls a spade a spade. Very much a stereotypical Australian trait :)

He has the same look on his face as when he drank that "champagne" :lol

Straight down the line, calls a spade a spade. Very much a stereotypical Australian trait :)

Watching a whole session via onboard w/telemetry is incredibly enlightening (Speed's feed). Gears and trap speeds, and lines - there's much more variation than you'd expect. The effect of downforce levels is extremely clear to see.

Zozobra

Sorry guys, total F1-noobie question, but what's the deal with having to use the two different tyre compounds during a race? I still couldn't wrap my head around it after reading the description on the F1 site.

Leunam

Sorry guys, total F1-noobie question, but what's the deal with having to use the two different tyre compounds during a race? I still couldn't wrap my head around it after reading the description on the F1 site.

You have several different compounds to choose from but during the race they will be called the Prime tire and the Option tire.

Prime tires are harder = last longer but less grip
Option tires are softer = wear quickly but lots of grip

Regulations say you have to use both sets, unless it rains, then the requirement is waived. Ideally, you would start on one set and then move to another during the course of the race, but because of the way the tires wear, most drivers will have to stop several times. With mandatory tire changes you have pit stops become part of the strategy, which can help or hinder a driver and also shuffle the order on the track during the race.

Also, you can't mix and match tires. You take all four Options or Primes, but not a mix of two each.

Pirelli makes super-soft, soft, medium, and hard tires. Only two of the four types are allocated each race depending on the track.

Zozobra

You have several different compounds to choose from but during the race they will be called the Prime tire and the Option tire.

Prime tires are harder = last longer but less grip
Option tires are softer = wear quickly but lots of grip

Regulations say you have to use both sets, unless it rains, then the requirement is waived. Ideally, you would start on one set and then move to another during the course of the race, but because of the way the tires wear, most drivers will have to stop several times. With mandatory tire changes you have pit stops become part of the strategy, which can help or hinder a driver and also shuffle the order on the track during the race.

Also, you can't mix and match tires. You take all four Options or Primes, but not a mix of two each.

Pirelli makes super-soft, soft, medium, and hard tires. Only two of the four types are allocated each race depending on the track.

Ok, that cleared things up nicely, thanks Leunam.

Wes

venison crêpe
The fact lots of them are sliding off will likely make for an even more entertaining race. Watched a bit of the practice and the circuit seemed fairly decent indeed.

Addnan

The fact lots of them are sliding off will likely make for an even more entertaining race. Watched a bit of the practice and the circuit seemed fairly decent indeed.
Track will clean up by Sunday, there shouldn't be much sliding.

I'm kinda annoyed by Pirelli's tyre choice. Should have taken sofas, maybe even ss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom