• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The United States Grand Prix |OT| Formula 1 Returns to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

moojito

Seeing Mrs Maldonado, I wonder what exactly she sees in millionaire Pastor, to borrow a quote from Mrs Merton

Shit, was hoping to cast some bad luck on Vettel. Nothing against him of course, but let's keep things exciting until the end. Hopefully my avatar will do some good this weekend.

dubc35

quoted from our main thread:
Current engine situation for the season:

bvGXT.png

Anyone know what engines were used in ABU and which ones are being used here?

TylerD

It always surprises me how many people leave after F1 runs. Yes I'll stay and watch historic f1 cars, a ton of Ferrari 458s and Porsche GT3 cups.

dubc35

The historic F1 cars seem like they would be just as badass as the current ones. And yes, I'd stay to watch some Ferraris and Porsches tear it up too.

Chris R

I watched some of the Ferrari stuff but left a few mins ago, mostly because I'm hungry, I have to drive back to San Antonio and I need to go to Verizon or att store to get a new sim card so my phone will work. Thing wasn't connected to any network (no data or text or calls.. not even 911)

iamblades

I'm glad F1 is back, and the layout of this track seems pretty interesting. Way less boring than most of the modern f1 tracks.

The Last F1 race I went to was tiregate at indy. That was depressing as fuck.

Chris R

OK on Starbucks wifi so I don't have to worry about data connection. Had a great day today, but man am I beat. After fp1 I took a self guided tour of the track walking from t12 to t1 and then down around t11 back to my seat just in time for fp2. Crowds were insane at t12 and in the other non psl areas, but t15 and t1 non ga looked sparse. I just love how I can see cars for basically half of the lap if not more from t12. Also I don't know if the video is doing the track justice but there is basically no flat area outside of the straight up to t1. The dive down from 1 is almost as extreme as the climb up.

Facilities are pretty good but it would be nice if all the pathway were paved (could see issues with wheel chairs...) can't wait to get back tomorrow!

Shaneus

Because I'd hate for all the Americans to have the attention this weekend, look what arrived in the mail pour moi (and my bro) this week:
5D7fy.jpg

:D

mblitek

I'll be there all 3 days taking photos. I'll post them in the photography thread.

What thread is that? There are a few photography threads and more importantly I am lazy!

Just been for a racing simulator experience at Puretech Racing, 15min Qualifying and 15 min race.

Motion simulation, left foot braking, and flappy paddles, awesome fun for anyone who has one near them. Thought it was a good start to the weekend!

Managed to improve my lap time between the race an qualy by 1.7secs, best 3 sectors were 3.3 secs off the best lap they have had on that track. Grinning from ear to ear right now.

That's an odd, I had never heard of that racing team before until today when I was watching free practice one and saw a TV ad for some product that also sponsors one of their Porsche GT3 Cup cars. That must have been an awesome experience! Do you have any pictures of the simulator?

Because I'd hate for all the Americans to have the attention this weekend, look what arrived in the mail pour moi (and my bro) this week:
5D7fy.jpg

:D

I have been fooled by your avatar a few times now! That is amazing, what kind of tickets did you get it and what package is that? What are prices like for the GP?

I'm hoping Vettel has a cooling problem or else I fear he is going to walk away with this one!

Shaneus

Nice! seats on prost turn! so what does the premium stand brings?
Um... just an undercover bit at the top of the stands :) It's in the front row of that premium section (I think it's three or four rows?) and on the far right, so we can see the cars pretty clearly over the last few corners. (my brother and I were a few rows ahead and a few seats in, in the regular area... but we got rained on pretty severely at times so figured it was worth the extra $50 or so for shelter)

I have been fooled by your avatar a few times now! That is amazing, what kind of tickets did you get it and what package is that? What are prices like for the GP?
Ahaha, I'm not sure what avatar you're expecting, but I figure that it's high time I change it from Mark to something else ;)

Those tickets are (to me) basically the very best ones on the whole track and were *exactly* what I wanted.
Ug1Is.png

CTVoi.png

AKRH9.jpg

I'm hoping Vettel has a cooling problem or else I fear he is going to walk away with this one!
Yeah, same. I'd like to see the WDC go down to the wire, however whilst I'll be disappointed if it's sealed up this weekend I can honestly say I won't be upset. He's definitely stepped up to the plate again this year.

TylerD

Can't get direct links and I don't want to type out the urls on my iPad so you have to click em. Just scenery in the early morning light, didn't try pics of cars with my phone.

Edit: nevermind, nothing is working!

Mobius 1

While the track itself is getting nice remarks from drivers, the rest of the circuit seems so unfinished. Unpaved tracks, inadequately narrow pedestrian bridge, some rough edges around structures... nothing essential, but clearly left as it to have the event happen on time.

Also, they repainted the track, didn't they? Exactly like I had said, it looked gaudy and in poor taste with all those stars, now it has that beautiful flowing stripe pattern. I wonder who called for that, probably Bernie.

Shaneus

Also, they repainted the track, didn't they? Exactly like I had said, it looked gaudy and in poor taste with all those stars, now it has that beautiful flowing stripe pattern. I wonder who called for that, probably Bernie.
Oh, they got rid of the gaudy stars? Thank goodness.

Chris R

While the track itself is getting nice remarks from drivers, the rest of the circuit seems so unfinished. Unpaved tracks, inadequately narrow pedestrian bridge, some rough edges around structures... nothing essential, but clearly left as it to have the event happens on time.

I had to wait nearly twenty minutes to get across the t13 bridge. For some reason they were only allowing traffic from t13, causing the area around the amphitheater to get really full.

Does it cost anything to go to the top of the tower? Didn't see a way in when I checked it out really quickly when I arrived this morning.

Mobius 1

I had to wait nearly twenty minutes to get across the t13 bridge. For some reason they were only allowing traffic from t13, causing the area around the amphitheater to get really full.

Does it cost anything to go to the top of the tower? Didn't see a way in when I checked it out really quickly when I arrived this morning.

$35 gets you 10 minutes up top, may be worth for photographing.

Will the matador slay the bull or the way around? Come on Alonso! Drive like it'll be the best drive of your life!

KVf6y.jpg

(I think it's a cool to put this picture in the first post of F1/current thread. Pretty much summarize the whole season.)

DarkFlow

Banned
A team would be even better. Especially with two GPs in the US starting in 2014.
A Ford backed Shelby team might be able to do it. They would most likely get the crap beat out of them for a few season while they get the tech up to par but I think they could do it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Will the matador slay the bull or the way around? Come on Alonso! Drive like it'll be the best drive of your life!

KVf6y.jpg

(I think it's a cool to put this picture in the first post of F1/current thread. Pretty much summarize the whole season.)

It'd be a perfect way to summarize the season if you saw Lewis flying off a silver donkey in the background.

Chris R

$35 gets you 10 minutes up top, may be worth for photographing.
Whelp I'd like to see some photos if a Gaffer is willing to bite that bullet.

Hoping the food truck lines are more manageable tomorrow now that they have one day under their belts. Scoped out the ones I'd want to eat at during my Walkabout.

Anyone spot the Top Gear guys? They're supposedly in Austin for the race while filming for their new America special. LFA, Viper, and Vanquish- can't miss those.

Could be that he's talking about Alonso saying he's racing Newey rather than Vettel.

That aside, I do love how Alonso now keeps saying they have the best team after he'd spent the whole season ripping them a new one for being shit. :D

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to try and watch the race. I've never really watched any sort of racing before. I watched Senna a year ago and was intrigued. Formula 1 just seems complicated and I think I wouldn't understand the sport since I have little knowledge of cars or the racing. Being on NBC Sports next year would make it easier for me to watch.

Chris R

Traffic in wasn't bad again other than the unannounced construction in San Antonio. On the shuttle now, another beautiful day, maybe just a bit cooler than yesterday.

I'm going to try and watch the race. I've never really watched any sort of racing before. I watched Senna a year ago and was intrigued. Formula 1 just seems complicated and I think I wouldn't understand the sport since I have little knowledge of cars or the racing. Being on NBC Sports next year would make it easier for me to watch.

It should be a fairly easy to understand race as there wont be any complicated pit strategies.

Adamm

If you keep watching you will gradually learn as you go, but you don't really need to understand it all to enjoy the racing. If your just watching this race then all you need to remember is who ever finishes first wins :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom