• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft is considering increasing the price of Game Pass Ultimate again.

Again. You’ll note that I’m speaking only for myself here.
And each time I said that I understand that it works for some people. Great! But you first responded to a post that was about the common Gamepass user, and I talked with that in mind. The question that I asked you was do you believe that most people do have the time/desire to play enough on Gamepass to make it worth it the price? If not then Cyberpunkd Cyberpunkd was right. If you don't want that discussion, no problem.

PandaOk

Neo Member
You’ll note that I’m speaking only for myself here.

You can play that card, and it works. But everyone knows you didn’t come to a thread about price hikes and start a counter narrative to speak only for yourself. The attention is what you’re after, so congrats. Just remember to pretend to be shocked when no one is all that interested in discussing your narrowly specific lived experience.

Ozriel

M$FT
And each time I said that I understand that it works for some people. Great! But you first responded to a post that was about the common Gamepass user, and I talked with that in mind. The question that I asked you was do you believe that most people do have the time/desire to play enough on Gamepass to make it worth it the price? If not then Cyberpunkd Cyberpunkd was right. If you don't want that discussion, no problem.

But if that was the ‘typical scenario’ of a GP subscriber, the service would have long since stalled out at around 5 million users, perhaps.

You’ve come to the conclusion that it’s only worth it for people who play a staggering amount of gaming hours weekly. But even your 10 hour per week scenario is enough to cover playing through least 1 AAA game a month, interspersed with the odd smaller game or recurrent MP play.

The service growth may have stalled, but there’s still a significant userbase that keeps subscribing. I guess we’ll know eventually how big the base remains after the price hike

Ozriel

M$FT
You can play that card, and it works. But everyone knows you didn’t come to a thread about price hikes and start a counter narrative to speak only for yourself. The attention is what you’re after, so congrats. Just remember to pretend to be shocked when no one is all that interested in discussing your narrowly specific lived experience.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

This is an old thread. The discussion on price hikes were done and dusted since May, and there’s no narrative being now discussed on whether the hike is justified.

The recent bump specifically discusses if the service itself is worth it based on play time and content. And I’ve shared my perspective, which I’ve publicly noted is based on getting a great deal for GP, not even based on the revamped price. And also based on getting new games Day 1, vs the old content Cyberpunkd Cyberpunkd seems to refer to.

But it looks like getting some ‘attention’ is uppermost in your mind, so well done for getting some of that. I think your time is best spent working on your comprehension, though.

Last edited:
But if that was the ‘typical scenario’ of a GP subscriber, the service would have long since stalled out at around 5 million users, perhaps.

You’ve come to the conclusion that it’s only worth it for people who play a staggering amount of gaming hours weekly. But even your 10 hour per week scenario is enough to cover playing through least 1 AAA game a month, interspersed with the odd smaller game or recurrent MP play.

The service growth may have stalled, but there’s still a significant userbase that keeps subscribing. I guess we’ll know eventually how big the base remains after the price hike
The thing is that Gamepass was 1 dollar for people who had Xbox Gold, so the gain for 1 dollar is so big that many people accepted to upgrade. If not for that, I tend to agree that not that many people would have used Gamepass. And when we look at the PC Gamepass install base, I don't think that there is a huge recent influx of gamers for it. Maybe I am wrong , maybe COD will change that if I am right.
I don't think that it is only worth it if there is a staggering amount of gaming hours weekly. But that unless the games that you would play are on it already, then more often than not Gamepass will be underutilized, or worse, not used at all. In that case why have it ?

Don't get me wrong, Microsoft did a spendid job getting many games new and old on the service. And if you are already paying for online play on a console, upgrading for more often make sense. But I hope that you will understand that there is more FOMO games outside of it than in it, for obvious reasons
I will use 2 examples to make my point, using my own experiences. This month I decided not to buy Astro Bot, because Sony put The Plucky Squire on Extra. This and a few games on my backlog(like Satisfactory, Helldivers 2 and FTL) will be enough for me to wait until I can get it for cheaper. Or maybe I will buy it anyway next month because I really want to play it. Then next month I will then not be using Extra and should not have it, as I already have my backlog for October. Both scenarios lead to a "loss" for me and Sony, but of course there is a gain as well.
Second one would be for 2022. I played Rogue Legacy 2 in early access and got Vampire Survivors in 2023. Both great games, one have been on Gamepass, the other have been exclusively on Xbox for some time if I remember. You can play easily more than 100 hours on Vampire Survivors and have fun. So buying it and not using Gamepass make sense for that game, I put 50 hours on Rogue Legacy back then, and it had evolved so I will play it again in a few months. No need for Gamepass the month I would have taken on it if I played 10 hours a week on it. Remember that 2022 got GOW Ragnarok and Elden ring, and both of those games are the FOMO games I was talking about. That year, it would not have been worth it for me to have Gamepass, because obviously the games I would play are outside of it. Next year I have some hopes for Death Stranding 2 to give me 100 hours of fun like the first one did. 3 months with no need for Gamepass. In the future GTA 6 will launch and that will take some time to finish correctly. No need for Gamepass when I will be playing it. Of course this is for me. Of course there is some great games on Gamepass, and you can play forever on it and be satisfied. But you can do the same with less money on Steam, and still have great games. You can focus on FOMO games and not need Gamepass unless titles like Starfield or COD get on it. You can play Minecraft/Fortnite/GTA Online and not need Gamepass either. You can not see any game you like this year and not play at all. In the link about how many hours people play it was 27% play 1 to 5 hours a week. Do you think that for them Gamepass make sense, or do you understand how I see it, that for them it would be a significant change, and that the cost may not be worth it?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Just cancelled two subscriptions for my family. I know it won’t make a dint, but when I can get GPU via cd keys for half the price, it makes a difference to me.
There has to be a cutoff point. Wonder what the limit is people are willing to to pay.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Well, the Xbox 360 was destroying Sony two thirds of that generation, then the higher ups did a wrong turn and Sony made a come back, don’t think for a second this can’t happen, they know it too.

If MS pulls out then Sony will do whatever they want and I will laugh my ass off watching you all broke fanboys cry because you can’t buy their shit.
Xbox beating Sony throughout that gen (though still ultimately coming in last place) took Sony’s cooperation. Otherwise PlayStation has had little trouble mopping the floor with Xbox.

And what’s actually funny is watching you have emotional meltdowns over….. whatever. 😬

Last edited:
Top Bottom