• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Microsoft may stop marketing of Xbox consoles in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, Cloud, PC and Xbox Controllers

Varteras

So hold on... The main reason they didn't sell many consoles is surely because their games line-up was either poor or non-existent, or they were just terrible at marketing it.
But now they're ditching the hardware to be what is essentially a games publisher. (Which they are shit at.)

I never understood
They finally got the games and gave up immediately

The strategy that Microsoft seems to have been aiming for was to acquire enough long-running, successful franchises so that they could effectively coast on them. Opting to not bother making them exclusive as that might damage the franchises more than the competition. They can't even legally do any exclusivity for Call of Duty for the next 10 years anyways. I don't think a decision to effectively kill Xbox was reached after buying ABK. I think killing Xbox was already the plan and acquiring ABK was what they needed to execute that plan sooner.

King Dazzar

Is it surprising though? I think they lose a lot of money on each console sold. Now add a discount and they are losing even more money. Yet they aren't seeing a large amount of people buy their consoles even with discounts so why continue to do it?
So why continue with hardware at all?

Topher

Gold Member
Is it surprising though? I think they lose a lot of money on each console sold. Now add a discount and they are losing even more money. Yet they aren't seeing a large amount of people buy their consoles even with discounts so why continue to do it?

"Netflix of games"

Imagine what shape Netflix would be in if they sold a device that put them $100 to $200 in the hole right off the bat.

This is why many are speculating that MS will be moving to unsubsidized gaming PCs and handhelds with the next go around.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is why many are speculating that MS will be moving to unsubsidized gaming PCs and handhelds with the next go around.
Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Varteras

"Netflix of games"

Imagine what shape Netflix would be in if they sold a device that put them $100 to $200 in the hole right off the bat.

I think there are still a lot of people not quite wrapping their heads around what seems to be coming. "Xbox" could very well just be the next "Alienware". Just pre-built PC hardware of sorts. Diehard Xbox gamers may about to be forcibly transitioned into PC gamers.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think there are still a lot of people not quite wrapping their heads around what seems to be coming. "Xbox" could very well just be the next "Alienware". Just pre-built PC hardware of sorts. Diehard Xbox gamers may about to be forcibly transitioned into PC gamers.
I could totally see the next big boy "Xbox" being a PC you can't upgrade that gives people the console like experience

bender

What time is it?
Probably but likely aimed at the enthusiast where as a dockable handheld would be the target for mainstream

The problem is that you will not get anyone to support it. And if the counter is that it runs Steam and/or other 3rd party launchers, then it's just a gimped (non-upgradable PC) running Windows which will be a cumbersome "console experience". If it isn't subsidized, the value proposition isn't going be there either. It sounds like the classic throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks as something like this doesn't have a viable market.

Good luck on a hybrid solution too. I really don't think people have paid attention to the Deck's sales numbers.

feynoob

Banned
The problem is that you will not get anyone to support it. And if the counter is that it runs Steam and/or other 3rd party launchers, then it's just a gimped (non-upgradable PC) running Windows which will be a cumbersome "console experience". If it isn't subsidized, the value proposition isn't going be there either. It sounds like the classic throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks as something like this doesn't have a viable market.

Good luck on a hybrid solution too. I really don't think people have paid attention to the Deck's sales numbers.
Because people have steam on pc.
The handheld device would have name Xbox. That is enough to move numbers.

King Dazzar

"Netflix of games"

Yeah the Netflix point is a very good one. And I'm fully aware of the second. I'm just venting my continued disappointment with where the Xbox road has taken things. I'm not surprised, and I know why they are where they are. I just think its very disappointing. And it could have very much been something else entirely.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Sign so tired of this narrative. Xbox isn’t going anywhere they Have at least 2 new skus in development for future release. Everyone just spouts bullshit for clicks. I’ll believe it when they themselves say It.

onQ123

Its entertaining though those celebrating a rumor from a "tipster" that can't be verified in an article hidden behind a paywall from Tom Warren no less that most people can't take seriously to begin with
I think it's truer than you think , Xbox hardware going forward will be more of a template & a spec to make software for.

Too much money is being loss on hardware without a return on software. They still need the base but they don't need the hardware sales . Most of these places probably wouldn't let them sale a ultra powerful mainstream console anyway.
The strategy that Microsoft seems to have been aiming for was to acquire enough long-running, successful franchises so that they could effectively coast on them. Opting to not bother making them exclusive as that might damage the franchises more than the competition. They can't even legally do any exclusivity for Call of Duty for the next 10 years anyways. I don't think a decision to effectively kill Xbox was reached after buying ABK. I think killing Xbox was already the plan and acquiring ABK was what they needed to execute that plan sooner.
ztBwl5E.png
fLgY55F.png
TTbfr58.png

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think it's truer than you think , Xbox hardware going forward will be more of a template & a spec to make software for.

Too much money is being loss on hardware without a return on software. They still need the base but they don't need the hardware sales . Most of these places probably wouldn't let them sale a ultra powerful mainstream console anyway.

ztBwl5E.png
fLgY55F.png
TTbfr58.png
Maybe eventually but its not going anywhere by the time next gen rolls around

And again maybe someone else makes the hardware but Xbox isn't dead anytime soon

Side note has anyone else corroborated Tom's "tipster" that he himself couldn't verify? Legit question

onQ123

Maybe eventually but its not going anywhere by the time next gen rolls around

And again maybe someone else makes the hardware but Xbox isn't dead anytime soon

Side note has anyone else corroborated Tom's "tipster" that he himself couldn't verify? Legit question
It's not going away because they have to have a spec to make the servers & games to but the console isn't being made to sell to the masses.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
One of my buddies won me a code for one month of Game Pass Ultimate from a bag of Starfield branded doritos. :messenger_grinning_sweat: I believe the promo ran last September in UK and a few other European countries.

IMG_9147.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
People pick and choose when to believe Jez and even Warren when they like what they are saying

Yeah, but that does make sense to some degree. If Jez Corden conveys bad news about Xbox or Microsoft then you can believe it. It is when he is deflecting for Xbox or Microsoft that folks should be wary of what he has to say. The obvious example is when he chided people who said Microsoft was going to port games to PlayStation. He came out of that looking like a complete uninformed ass.

Tom Warren, on the other hand, is a solid source of information, either good or bad, even if he does come across as a self-absorbed prick.

Last edited:

Astray

To think that all of this Xbox downfall was leaked in this very forum lmao
God bless S SneakersSO .

People pick and choose when to believe Jez and even Warren when they like what they are saying
Warren has always been connected and briefed by top Microsoft brass.

Jez is also briefed (how else would he get the gamepass changes info before it was even announced?).

The difference is Warren is much smarter than Jez.

He generally knows when he's being played (That Spencer interview right before the Business Update was definitely him playing Jez, the Black Myth Wukong thing is also the Xbox division playing Jez to deflect from yet another Series S debacle).

Also, Warren doesn't need to suck Spencer's dick too much because he's still got people in the Office or Azure units etc. And he's definitely can get whoever replaces Spencer if worst comes to worst.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
God bless S SneakersSO .

Warren has always been connected and briefed by top Microsoft brass.

Jez is also briefed (how else would he get the gamepass changes info before it was even announced?).

The difference is Warren is much smarter than Jez.

He generally knows when he's being played (That Spencer interview right before the Business Update was definitely him playing Jez, the Black Myth Wukong thing is also the Xbox division playing Jez to deflect from yet another Series S debacle).

Also, Warren doesn't need to suck Spencer's dick too much because he's still got people in the Office or Azure units etc. And he's definitely can get whoever replaces Spencer if worst comes to worst.
Those guys are not remotely "briefed by top Microsoft brass"

They are hand fed what MS wants out there

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And why would MS want this info about them reducing their marketing in EMEA out there?
So you take a "tipster" that even he can't verify that he put behind a paywall that no one else is backing up as real info?

Info that he says they may reduce advertising and may cut down supply to areas that they arent selling well in anyhow?

What is actually the story here to begin with?

feynoob

Banned
We make fun of Colt and the other shills, but this shill doesn’t get enough attention considering he works for IGN:

Makes sense,
If you have new hardware, you will stop advertising the new one.

This is just hinting that MS will move from x series like how nintendo did with wii u.

feynoob

Banned
Yeah, but that does make sense to some degree. If Jez Corden conveys bad news about Xbox or Microsoft then you can believe it. It is when he is deflecting for Xbox or Microsoft that folks should be wary of what he has to say. The obvious example is when he chided people who said Microsoft was going to port games to PlayStation. He came out of that looking like a complete uninformed ass.
The point is the guy shouldnt be trusted at all. You cant trust his bad news and good news. He flip flops alot.
Tom Warren, on the other hand, is a solid source of information, either good or bad, even if he does come across as a self-absorbed prick.
Guy is a tool for MS, covering everything about them.

Raven117

If they get cloud gaming to work without much issue for faster fps games… and then they sell you a controller and game pass… that could actually be pretty successful.

Astray

So you take a "tipster" that even he can't verify that he put behind a paywall that no one else is backing up as real info?

Info that he says they may reduce advertising and may cut down supply to areas that they arent selling well in anyhow?

What is actually the story here to begin with?
The story is that they are basically conceding the EU + Middle East space to competitors in their entirety. They closed things like Bethesda France that usually help with localizations etc.

Actual good ad space is finite, shelfspace is also finite, and both come at a premium, if you concede it then competitors will take it and keep booking ads, this actually matters when you're managing your brand's commercial interests in the market. Even things like the ROG Ally needed Microsoft support in marketing as well, so they will need that ad and shelf space when they release the promised handheld and ultra strong console combo.

I don't get why you're focusing so hard on the tipster thing, why would anyone make up anything like this to begin with? and why would they give it to Tom Warren, a very well-known pro-MS supporter in the media?

Last edited:
Top Bottom