• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Microsoft may stop marketing of Xbox consoles in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, Cloud, PC and Xbox Controllers

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't know who Warren's editor is, but that should not be part of the article. It screams "I've been in the know for a while" without adding anything of substance to the article. Who the hell prints something they can't verify?
Its entertaining though those celebrating a rumor from a "tipster" that can't be verified in an article hidden behind a paywall from Tom Warren no less that most people can't take seriously to begin with

King Dazzar

"you don't need an Xbox to play Xbox"

Supernatural-Jensen-Ackles-Dean-Winchester-Confused-GIF_470982_1.gif
That's the long version. The short version is "you dont need an Xbox" lol

King Dazzar

Its entertaining though those celebrating a rumor from a "tipster" that can't be verified in an article hidden behind a paywall from Tom Warren no less that most people can't take seriously to begin with
I totally get the trust issues. But wouldn't it be weird for Warren to be making up negative stuff about Xbox? Surely he'd be peddling positive rumours?

Verchod

So how long do Microsoft continue supporting the current hardware? How do you phase it out? It seems mad that they're releasing another model later this year.

It's funny.

Not so long ago, Phil Spencer thought he could spearhead Microsoft purchasing Nintendo, thinking this would be good for both companies (LMAO) and would be his "Career moment"

Now he'll be remembered as the man who spearheaded Xbox to ruin.

It really is wild thinking back on a bunch of those old FTC emails that were leaked and what the situation is now. I think it's telling that even Spencer made a remark about how he knows some of the suits "think he's being to confident" which means these emails weren't abnormal. I bet those same guys are laughing their ass off at what he's done to Xbox now.

bitbydeath

Are you also starting to wonder if plans completely changed in the last few months?

Unless Nintendo gets back into performance consoles I don't want MS completely dropping out because we might all get screwed by Sony if that happens. I am not seeing any reason to be optimistic about any Xbox handheld or pc hybrid after this news though. To go from trying to make inroads in Japan to essentially dropping out of Europe is not exactly what I would expect to hear from anyone with future console plans.
If Microsoft wasn’t already trying to screw the industry I’d agree, but……

Are you also starting to wonder if plans completely changed in the last few months?

Unless Nintendo gets back into performance consoles I don't want MS completely dropping out because we might all get screwed by Sony if that happens. I am not seeing any reason to be optimistic about any Xbox handheld or pc hybrid after this news though. To go from trying to make inroads in Japan to essentially dropping out of Europe is not exactly what I would expect to hear from anyone with future console plans.
You already ARE being screwed by Sony. Xbox hanging on does nothing to keep Sony honest, they are no longer a credible threat. All they are doing is taking up space and prevent a new competitor from signing up.

PS5 could be MUCH cheaper, if they wanted to. They just don't see why they had to with Xbox being so weak.

Xbox need to be sunset-ed as soon as possible to make room for fresh blood.

Topher

Gold Member
I'd argue it has or least the trajectory of the brand.

I'd argue Xbox consoles are less of an ongoing concern now than they were before the acquisition. That may be what you are implying as well.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'd argue Xbox consoles are less of an ongoing concern now than it was before the acquisition. That may be what you are implying as well.

It felt like that writing has been on the wall well before the acquisition. I'm sure some people internally had a glimmer of hope that it could start to turn things around or at least put the breaks on the freefall, but the realities are that the Xbox brand has last market share in its' strongest territories, hasn't made up ground elsewhere, nor has it made inroads in its' weakest territories.

Topher

Gold Member
It felt like that writing has been on the wall well before the acquisition. I'm sure some people internally had a glimmer of hope that it could start to turn things around or at least put the breaks on the freefall, but the realities are that the Xbox brand has last market share in its' strongest territories, hasn't made up ground elsewhere, nor has it made inroads in its' weakest territories.

True, but the third party narrative started ramping up after October when the acquisition completed. No way to know really. Could be things would have happened exactly as they happened either way.

My response from above...

I'd argue Xbox consoles are less of an ongoing concern now than they were before the acquisition. That may be what you are implying as well.

bender

What time is it?
True, but the third party narrative started ramping up after October when the acquisition completed. No way to know really. Could be things would have happened exactly as they happened either way.

With all the cheerleading media and influencers, it's hard to sort through the noise. Unless they can shift their hardware business specific to limited regions, the writing has been on the wall for a while. Microsoft marketing has seemed to revolve around Game Pass rather than Xbox for years now. The acquisition has probably accelerated timelines as any 70+ billion investment would.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

First off, MS has exited the console business. They don't want to acknowledge it. There is literally nothing MS can do that would hurt Playstation at this point. Xbox is an ant on a gorilla.
Screwed in what way? Nintendo still exists, buddy. I see these fears that Sony would start charging $800 for consoles $100 for games...take a deep breath. First off, Sony makes their money in software sales. In order to have software sales, they need to sell consoles. Drastically raising the price of consoles gets in the way of that. CHarging more for games also gets in the way of that. Would a Sony monopoly be a good thing? No...but Nintendo still exists. PC gaming is an option. Sony still has checks and balances. MS/Xbox simply is no longer providing them. That's on MS/Xbox. They stuck with Phil and his shitty visions for far too long.

OrionNebula

Hm… at least xbox kept playstation on their toes, though

Even though it’s half expected now, it still likely would have a negative impact on the gaming industry, I fear, in the long run

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
So how long do Microsoft continue supporting the current hardware? How do you phase it out? It seems mad that they're releasing another model later this year.

I think they'll continue supporting current hardware until it can't run games, the Series S will get hit first for example but more on that later. They're releasing new models because they'll sell at a higher margin that the current models and didn't require significant R&D. I'm guessing that in 2026 Xbox will release their Xbox PC lineup, which will probably include a handheld. These will also allow you to play your Xbox games from previous generations.

They'll get "cross gen" games with the Xbox Series, but these won't be sold as Xbox games necessarily. This will allow them to drop Xbox Series S support earlier than Xbox Series X support.

So the phase out will essentially happen as people stop playing Xbox Series S and X. The new hardware will be high margin and probably manufactured by many different manufacturers.

How long until retailers stop stocking them?

Can't imagine retailers wanting to sell xbox consoles with MS not trying.

This is already happening, but what Microsoft faces is a cliff, where retailers will be afraid to buy units in high quantities less they be stuck with them and then they have to decide whether they even want dedicated Xbox sections in their store or if that valuable space is better suited to something else.

Its not over until Halo is on playstation.

This probably happens next year or 2026.

I always thought they’d close shop in Japan first.

They sold 2,000 units last week. They've only sold 5x the number of units as the PS4 has this year. They have closed shop.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hm… at least xbox kept playstation on their toes, though

Even though it’s half expected now, it still likely would have a negative impact on the gaming industry, I fear, in the long run

The industry is already going in this direction, unfortunately, with the younger generation skewing dedicated consoles for mobile and cloud crap.

Microsoft is probably making the right decision to make sure they focus on gaming as part of the Windows ecosystem and pushing for recurring revenue, they just had to start earlier than most.

The problem is that it is easy to doubt this new strategy will be successful with Phil Spencer at the helm. Ultimately, it will be about putting out great software, something that while they had an amazing summer showcase, their track record proves that it’s going to take a lot more than that.

StereoVsn

Anytime anyone in the world turns on their Fire Stick, it should show an ad about buying an Xbox controller and GP. That's going to cost a lot of money. 200 million people who have that hooked to their TV don't even really know it exists.

Spending money to tell Europe and the middle east about Xbox consoles just seems like a waste at this point. Just seems like rational marketing decisions.
Well, if they aren’t really selling the hardware in Europe, definitely not selling in Asia, that leaves North and South America, UK and maybe AU/NZ?

And even in NA sales have been dropping. Big question is if there is a point to spend a lot of money on R&D vs saying f it and going 3rd party.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, yesterday game pass was dieing and now it's the only focus for Europe.

Maybe the truth is in-between.

Europe becomes a second class citizen and only gets game pass streaming and very low volumes of console stock to sell to the region while UK and US gets more focus on a console/pc hybrid.

Sales of Xbox hardware will probably never eclipse 10 to 20 million units again but may be higher end and sold at a profit.

Will developers support it? Or will it just run pc code to make things easier.

Who knows.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

L after L

Truth.

I think for people like this, it hit them harder as they likely just had some blind spot for how this publisher is. I don't care who like MS, this company by no means can be trusted and their end goal has always been wild greed. They will port to what ever system they can and anyone thinking otherwise will join those shocked at all those timed deals like Dead Rising, Bioshock, Lost Planet etc or shocked at them bringing games to PC and then bringing them to PC day and date, it was like...how many times did this publisher need to tell you one thing and then do the other to except they are not your friend?

Sooooo that is the last fucking publisher I would ever be doubting would put their games on PS and Nintendo, MS has been knocking on the door of just being a 3rd party publisher for some time now and I've told people FOR YEARS, their end goal may not actually be to stay in the home console market, their moves suggest they are seeking to just do software

Putting games on PC day 1
Buying 3rd party publishers
Putting games on Nintendo and PS

None of that sounds like a publisher looking to continue to stay in the console market, that sounds like the moves of a publisher in transition to move away from hardware and it seems many ignored soooooo much

I'm happy many for years saw this like O onQ123 and many more, I'm sorry for those blindsided by this tbh, but some of us saying this, where not just saying it to bash. I'd say this even if I liked them or something (as I don't even hate MS, I their OSs and many of their products) but I have to be honest with what I see from a business standpoint.

Like BlockBuster to Netflix, you have to the recognize the transition and MS moves do not strike me as something happening to stay in hardware, even their massive push and focus on GamePass seems like its a step in the direction away from hardware. So to some of us, this isn't really "news", its like.....yea we know, we've sorta been telling you guys this for a while now.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Xbox is pretty much non-existent in these markets anyway. They can't be selling many consoles in the EMEA regions. Xbox is moving away from consoles and toward becoming an app and a subscription service only, that's been obvious for years now. As someone who likes consoles, buying them, unboxing them, using them and having them in my collection, I think it's a shame. I've always liked Xbox as a console, even Xbox One became decent in the end. But at least we still have Nintendo and PlayStation.

Top Bottom