• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Riding the Superman virtual reality roller coaster at Six Flags

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Video here.

Article link.

So what happens when you take a virtual reality simulation, and combine it with an actual, physical drop from a very high height? I found out for myself recently during a trip to Six Flags in Maryland. I rode on the Superman – Ride of Steel rollercoaster, a 15-year-old attraction that has been remade as a VR experience. You strap a Samsung Galaxy Gear headset on, and the movement of the coaster is synced up with a virtual story in which Superman and Lex Luthor play catch with you over Metropolis. It's terrifying in all the right ways.

The graphics on the ride aren't great — they are powered by a stock Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone, after all — but the fact that the whole thing looks like an old PC game doesn't matter after the first drop, because the combination of the physical forces coursing through your body and the digital drama unfolding before your eyes exaggerate the thrill of the coaster. The first hill is, in the real world, a 68-degree drop. But in the VR experience, you take a sheer 90-degree plunge toward the sidewalk.

The technology behind the new ride was created by VR Coasters, a German company that has also outfitted a number of parks in Europe. Each train is equipped with a sensor package that tracks the revolution of the wheels to determine exactly where on the ride your are. It transmits that data to the headset 30 times per second, working to ensure that the VR story unfolds in a fluid and fully synced way.

The VR coaster system is set to roll out to nine Six Flags parks around the country this summer. From a business perspective, it offers the chance to give a second life to old rides without the expense of constructing anything new. It also makes each coaster adaptable, able to change to suit the season or a new movie by simply swapping out the software package.

Jonm1010

Banned
Lots of questions going through my mind.

- How gross would these sets get in a short amount of time?

- This seems pretty expensive from a maintenance standpoint.

- Why the heck would you use a cellphone headset for this? For christ sake!!

norm9

No thanks. Roller coasters are scary enough without someone's greasy ass residue rubbed on my face.

As much as hate them, a Disney attraction using this technology would be incredible.

such great VR technology available and they use a phone smfh

- Why the heck would you use a cellphone headset for this? For christ sake!!

Wires could potentially present a chocking hazard and the cost of building a pc for every seat. Samsung also probably gave them the phones for free to advertise Gear VR.

adj_noun

I have a request.

First person "You are Superman" VR experience

+

2:
LT6lbKD.jpg

One of my favorite things about coasters is the actual view. You take the Magnum as the sun is almost set and its beautiful. This is interesting technology, but I just don't personally see much appeal.

adj_noun

One of my favorite things about coasters is the actual view. You take the Magnum as the sun is almost set and its beautiful. This is interesting technology, but I just don't personally see much appeal.

I'd imagine part of the appeal is a Space Mountain-ish lack of ability to anticipate what's going to happen next. It's essentially a coaster in the dark sans the dark.

I'd imagine part of the appeal is a Space Mountain-ish lack of ability to anticipate what's going to happen next. It's essentially a coaster in the dark sans the dark.

Yeah, it definitely has perks, I just feel if I'm going to be staring at a screen there's probably easier ways to make my body feel crazy roller coaster-esque motion.

Yeah, it definitely has perks, I just feel if I'm going to be staring at a screen there's probably easier ways to make my body feel crazy roller coaster-esque motion.

It's a different way to do a motion simulator like Star Tours/Back to the Future/Simpsons, etc. With those you'll have limited range of motion but with this, you'll be able to do so much more. You need to stop thinking of it as a roller coaster and think of it more like the motion simulator rides.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Didn't realize there was a video but I still don't get it, I'd rather just experience something instead of seeing it through a screen.
What? The idea is to experience something you otherwise couldn't with a conventional coaster.

So instead of looking at trees and water in an open field, you can pretend to be thrown around a metropolis, which can never happen in real life because they don't build coasters in the middle of a bustling city.

The quote mentions how a 68 degree drop feels like a straight 90 degree drop because it looks that way in VR and that combined with the sensations of a 68 degree drop is enough to trick your brain, making the ride more intense than it is originally.

hoos30

I was just at Six Flags the other day. Sadly, I'm too tall to fit into the Superman harness, but my friends had a blast and said that the VR is an awesome addition to an already great ride.

adj_noun

It's a different way to do a motion simulator like Star Tours/Back to the Future/Simpsons, etc. With those you'll have limited range of motion but with this, you'll be able to do so much more. You need to stop thinking of it as a roller coaster and think of it more like the motion simulator rides.

I wonder who'll use it first: Disney or Universal.

I guess Universal could do it for a Quidditch coaster or something.

BigDug13

Didn't realize there was a video but I still don't get it, I'd rather just experience something instead of seeing it through a screen.

Everything we experience in life is based on how your brain interprets sensory input. Tricking your brain into interpreting something different that was otherwise unachievable is a breakthrough whether you think it's just "looking at a screen" or not. The body sensations are the same, you're just tricking your visual and audio inputs into something different and it's not something you can get from any other at-home VR experience.

Sorry, but I've ridden roller coasters of various types for the past 30 years. I welcome with open arms an improved variant to enhance the sensory input.

Jonm1010

Banned
I wonder who'll use it first: Disney or Universal.

I guess Universal could do it for a Quidditch coaster or something.

That was the first thought that went through my head.

Still think maybe this is a tech that needs a bit more time.

I get the issues with a wired headset so maybe the key for this to be more immersive will be the second or third gen VR headsets. When they likely have better form factor and can be done wirelessly. Or at least thats when I personally would want this to be implemented.

Seems like a smart idea though. Whoever/whatever person/company can engineer a better version of this will probably be really rich off all the potential contracts.

Doesn't look as cool as the Spider-Man ride at universal

The Harry Potter ride at Universal kills all of Universal's other three 3D rides. Way more movement and changes from 3D to real (great looking) props super well.

The other rides really need to get on its level. Universal has too many rides where it feels like you're just sitting and watching a movie and then occasionally you'll move to a different screen.

MultiCore

I've been on the New Revolution at Magic Mountain, and the VR experience is complete garbage.

Zip ties ensure your headset can't focus correctly. Overheating phones don't run correctly. Poor sync ensures nausea. A high rate of turnover ensure the headsets get gross in the heat of the day.

That said, the renovations they made to the ride make it much better without the headset than it was before.

Jonm1010

Banned
The Harry Potter ride at Universal kills all of Universal's other three 3D rides. Way more movement and changes from 3D to real (great looking) props super well.

The other rides really need to get on its level. Universal has too many rides where it feels like you're just sitting and watching a movie and then occasionally you'll move to a different screen.
Hmm. I'd actually put the Spiderman ride above the Transformers and the newest Harry Potter ride.

The original HP ride would be perfect if they could update the screens and graphics a bit. They look dated and dark now.

But if anything you're actually more limited here because it's pretty damn expensive to retrofit an existing roller coaster. Part of the appeal with motion simulator stuff is how easy it is to change them or make them more dynamic. It's a different sort than what you're talking about, but I'd argue in an important sense they have more range of motion, or at least more potential there.

Slaythe

the graphics are so bad lmao.

Star Wars at disney kinda did that in a better way, no "vr" headset but you were on a ship with a cool video...

213372bu

Banned
A friend of mine got her arm stuck behind the safety harness and her hair stuck on the roller coaster while she was upside-down and before a huge drop during an emergency halt.

I need that terror recreated in a VR roller coaster sim.

Never used VR but this looks like it would be awesome in the future as mobile chips improve.

The coaster itself is apparently really good, I know it's neck in neck with Millenium Force for best steel coaster in America.

Star Wars at disney kinda did that in a better way, no "vr" headset but you were on a ship with a cool video...

tbh if this is anything on the level of Millenium Force, it's much better than that star wars ride.

I get nauseous even on rides like Star Tours because of the motion and screen combo, I can't imagine how awful I'd feel after something like this.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've been on the New Revolution at Magic Mountain, and the VR experience is complete garbage.

Zip ties ensure your headset can't focus correctly. Overheating phones don't run correctly. Poor sync ensures nausea. A high rate of turnover ensure the headsets get gross in the heat of the day.

That said, the renovations they made to the ride make it much better without the headset than it was before.

All I want is for them to get rid of the shoulder restaints that they added in the '90s. They completely ruined the ride.
/looks at renovated ride
Yesssss.

Mindlog

The VR coaster system is set to roll out to nine Six Flags parks around the country this summer. From a business perspective, it offers the chance to give a second life to old rides without the expense of constructing anything new. It also makes each coaster adaptable, able to change to suit the season or a new movie by simply swapping out the software package.
Yup. Go-Karts are next.
Probably a big ask to expect people to strap desktop computers to their backs.
The next move is to build the PC into the train with a small wire connecting the train and the headset.

As a kid I loved those motion simulator rides.
Went back recently and man they're terrible. Really didn't do anything for me. Even limited VR is much more immersive.

Disney should re-open the Alien Encounter ride with VR headsets. It would be traumatic. The Stitch version is lame in comparison.

But if anything you're actually more limited here because it's pretty damn expensive to retrofit an existing roller coaster. Part of the appeal with motion simulator stuff is how easy it is to change them or make them more dynamic. It's a different sort than what you're talking about, but I'd argue in an important sense they have more range of motion, or at least more potential there.

Well it would be more limited in how you could reuse it, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Current motion simulator rides are really limited to the type of motion simulation you can experience. You're not going to get the same g-force as a coaster, nor are you going to get the same feeling of a corkscrew or doing a loop. There are plenty of sensations you could feel with a coaster that you couldn't with a traditional motion simulator. That's what I meant when I was talking about a range of motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom