• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The very best of social media

Lasha

If the service isn’t to my expectations. I lower the tip. But I always tip something.

The type of good service tipping promotes is what I consider annoying elsewhere. I don't want to know anything about my server or establish any relationship. I don't want to be interrupted every few minutes by a server asking "how's everything going?". Answer any questions about the menu, record the order accurately, bring the food, then go away unless somebody at the table needs something.

I usually forget to tip my first few days in the US. I tip at a place I'll visit more than once to avoid trouble. I don't tip elsewhere. I pick up my own pizza because the stores charge a delivery charge that doesn't actually cover the cost of delivery.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
West Texas CEO West Texas CEO dream

sorry tweet deleted
bUE80ua.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Tipping culture seems so out of proportion in the US.
The fact that people expect and demand it and go as far as to insult you if it doest meet their expectations is just retarded.
Tipping culture is absolutely retarded.

Pay your fucking workers the correct wage so the client doesn't have to pay for you.

As an european, the idea of giving 5 fucking dollars of tip for a 20 dollar pie is absurd.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I think I would send this video to the manager.

How this works seems crazy to me. People say that tipping is for good service and that bad service will mean that a tip will be less.

The kitchen cooks the pizza and he takes it to the customer. Either he manages it or he doesn't, that's it. If traffic is bad, it's not his fault. If traffic is excellent, that's not his doing either. Wow! You got lucky with the traffic lights, have a bigger tip. Oh man, we know you could do the drive in 10 minutes, here we are and it's taken you 20 minutes. Sorry, I've got to give you a smaller tip.

Now it seems that delivery drivers expect tips to reflect the size of a home. Is that a multiplier or is it like $1 extra per bedroom over 3?

I'd argue that restaurants ought to just charge a delivery fee and pay their own drivers rather than expect the customers to decide what is appropriate, seemingly based on if they've had a bad day and if conditions outside of the server's control are good.

If businesses would just charge customers and pay staff, everyone would know what they're supposed to pay and what they're going to get paid. It's a shitty system for everyone.

I can imagine plenty of waiters and delivery drivers have bad weeks where they struggle to make ends meet through no fault of their own.

Also it would stop non-Americans, like me, feeling anxious about knowing how much to tip when in America, in the full knowledge that other non-American people don't understand the economics of the situation for the server and choose to not tip, because at home it's completely normal not to tip.

Fuz

Banned

I think I would send this video to the manager.

Thank god we don't have this stupid forced tip culture in Italy. So we avoid all those shitty situations.

But pay your workers more, 'murica.

I don't want to know anything about my server or establish any relationship. I don't want to be interrupted every few minutes by a server asking "how's everything going?". Answer any questions about the menu, record the order accurately, bring the food, then go away unless somebody at the table needs something.
I hate this, but I don't mind a casual chat with servers.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
This breaking Spaghetti in half trend seems to be an American thing. Never have i seen or heard of it anywhere in Europe.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Thank god we don't have this stupid forced tip culture in Italy. So we avoid all those shitty situations.

But pay your workers more, 'murica.

I hate this, but I don't mind a casual chat with servers.
The guy is probably making decent money. He gets a regular hourly wage. Tips and I know there are delivery fees. I also think dominos reimburses mileage.

Top Bottom